Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sgt. Pepper Slammed by Area Newspaper

    One of the newspapers that serves the Cortland area has slammed Detective Sgt. Lonely Pepper in a typical, rambling, unfocused editorial. The newspaper charged that Sgt. Pepper submitted a claim to the city for overtime for his musical performance at the Occupy Cortland demonstration last Saturday night.
    Sgt. Pepper denied the charge and issued the following statement:
    "I did not submit a claim for overtime. I was not in uniform, I was not working a case, I was not working period. I and the band volunteered our time, at the chief's request, in harmony with the event. The chief will back me on this.
     "The newspaper also suggested that the police department is 'running on empty' in regard to the unsolved flasher case. I am not authorized to talk about that case, other than state we have a person of interest--that person is one of the 'Good Old Boys'-- we prefer not to identify him at this time.
    "This same newspaper also made undocumented charges about the decisions and performance of our mayor. The public was misinformed. Addressing the newspaper, I demand a correction--for me and the mayor. Set the record straight. Put up or shut up."

    For more on Sgt. Pepper, see previous posts "Occupy Cortland Protest" and Flasher Spotted Near Beaudry Park."

No comments:

Post a Comment