Thursday, October 20, 2011

Who Am I? (Number1)

     I was born in Russia but I grew up in Brooklyn. I received my PhD in biochemistry from Columbia University. I was a tenured associate professor of biochemistry at Boston University, but after 1958 I seldom taught classes. I was too busy copyrighting Theremon762 and Multivac and other strange names.
     No, I didn't sell vacuum cleaners.
     I was a claustrophile most of my life. I actually enjoyed enclosed spaces. When I was a child I wanted to hide inside a newspaper stand in a New York City subway station and listen to trains as I read magazines.
     As an adult I enjoyed Gilbert and Sullivan operas. I joined the Sherlock Holmes Society, the Baker Street Irregulars and the Trapdoor Spiders.
     No, they weren't street gangs.
     In 1984 I was named Humanist of the Year by the American Humanist Association. Humanist is the named I preferred rather than atheist or agnostic.
     I had a heart attack in 1977, and triple bypass surgery in 1983. The blood I received during bypass surgery was tainted with HIV. I died in 1992 of myocardial and renal complications.
     I wrote or edited over 500 books. I became famous for The Foundation, Galactic Empire and I Robot series. I won awards for two short stories, Nightfall and The Last Question.
     I am Isaac Asimov.
For a short biography, go to link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov

No comments:

Post a Comment