Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mayor Feiszli's End-Of-Term Speech


I’d like to begin by saying that these past two years have been the most challenging in my life and I’m proud of the accomplishments made during my administration.

Many changes have been made and I have no regrets, nor do I feel the need to apologize for any of my decisions.

The one thing I would like to make clear is that is I have no resentments and am far from bitter. Because of this experience, my life has already begun to turn in a more positive and rewarding direction.

With that said, I would be remiss if I didn’t point out a couple of things--so please bear with me.

From the very beginning, I refused to put the City or myself in a position where decisions were based on providing “favors” to those who offered to help me which began during my initial run for Mayor.

This brings me to a letter to the editor written by our former Chairman of the Democratic Committee, Mr. Bill Wood, that was in last night's Cortland Standard.

When I decided to run for Mayor, Mr. Wood gave me a sizable check towards my campaign and at that time said that he would ensure my success in the election on the condition that he be appointed City Clerk.

Shortly after, I returned the check to Mr. Wood and told him that I only wanted people who supported me for what I could do for the City, as Mayor, and not for what I could do for them personally.

Since then, Mr. Wood has made every attempt to slander my efforts as Mayor and even went so far as to go to a conference--that he had no reason to be at--except to criticize me and my administration to my peers.

Mayor Elect Tobin has admitted that Mr. Wood approached him to run a primary against me in which he successfully won.

In my opinion, even though Mr. Wood won this election for Mr. Tobin, his need to continue to publicly make false statements about me, reinforces what type of man Mr. Wood really is. Regardless, I will not tolerate his behavior and am seeking legal council for his slanderous remarks.

Mr. Wood is not alone as someone who wanted to see my administration fail. It has been continuously shown by former Mayors Walsh and Gallagher along with many Aldermen who are sitting here this evening who continuously fought my efforts to turn this government around in the right direction.

But regardless of their attempts, I succeeded, and perhaps THAT is why Mr. Wood and Mr. Walsh continue to harass me.

Tonight is my last Council meeting and I am proud of the many accomplishments made these past two years.

I was not afraid to make the difficult decisions to change past practices that brought the City to near bankruptcy during previous administrations.

Changing key personnel in order to bring stability and long term success for this City is something that I will NEVER regret doing.

I’m proud to leave my administration a much better government then how I found it two years ago. Making those difficult changes was the ONLY way that it could have been accomplished.

This was accomplished by not owing “favors” to anyone and I am proud of the fact that everyone was treated equally. EVERYONE, regardless of their stature or status in the community.

I did not change my platform to appease a small number of people and I will ALWAYS believe that the best way to move this City forward is by working together as a team, listening, making compromises and admitting that sometimes we make mistakes.

My transparency enabled the public to witness the ups and downs during my administration and it is unfortunate that the Cortland Standard chose to take advantage of this to turn their paper into a tabloid with little substance.

Looking back, I would not have changed a thing and tonight I feel a combination of feelings which include relief, pride and concern for the future for our City.

Milestones have been made in every department which has increased efficiency, transparency, cooperation, and cost savings to the tax payer while improving the service that these departments  provide.

These past two years we have increased transparency with:

· Monthly financial reports from City Departments
· Monthly Department Head reports
· And by developing Policy and Procedures

Greater Community Involvement was achieved by:

     · Using Citizen input to establish
     · Environmental Advisory Committee
     · Personnel Committee
     · Wellness Committee
     · Administrative Search Committee
     · Wellhead Protection Committee

By working with Code Enforcement and Zoning we:

     · Made Code Enforcement available 7 days a week
     · Tightened control of enforcement with existing laws


The City has begun to go green by retrofitting lights in all city buildings,
and increased fines and penalties in Code and Police Departments that had remained unchanged for many, many years.

Our department heads are the backbone of the City.

These positive changes are a few of the reasons why I was able to provide you with two consecutive budgets without an increase in taxes for the first time in over 20 years not to mention going from a government that was near bankruptcy with a negative fund balance to a nearly 2 million dollar surplus in reserves.

I want to thank all of my department heads, personnel, and boards and commissions without whom all of our unparalleled success would not have been possible.

I also hope and pray that the new administration a will continue in the same direction to be transparent, above board, and always to keep the City of Cortland first and favoritism second.

In closing, I want to thank all who supported my administration and I look forward to working with and for you in future endeavors to further the betterment of the City of Cortland .

Mayor Susan Feiszli

No comments:

Post a Comment