Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Who Am I? (Number 5)

     I was born in New York City on October 28, 1914. My parents were Russian-Jewish immigrants. I attended Townsend Harris High School, a public school which enrolled intellectually gifted students in a crammed 3 year curriculum. I graduated and entered City College of New York at age 15. In 1934, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree.
     I wanted to be a lawyer but my parents persuaded me to study medicine. I entered medical school at New York University. I did not want to practice medicine; I wanted to research in the field of biochemistry and teach.
     I did my post-graduate work in virology. I worked in the lab of Dr. Thomas Francis at the University of Michigan. I worked with other researchers on the influenza virus.
     My residency took place at New York's Mount Sinai Hospital. By 1939 I was president of the house staff of interns and residents. At the conclusion of my residency, I received a research position on an Army-commissioned project in Michigan. I worked again with Dr. Francis to develop an influenza vaccine.
     By 1947, I obtained my own research facility at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Soon I was approached by the director of a well-known national foundation to direct a special project. This project would define my life and career.
     The special research project involved a deadly disease which had killed more American children than any other communicable disease. I began to study details of the virus and to devote all my attention to achieve a cure.
     By 1954, I had developed a preliminary vaccine. A field trial was established, involving 20,000 physicians and public health officers, 64,000 school personnel, 220,000 volunteers and 1,800,000 children.
     On April 12, 1955, the new vaccine was declared safe and effective. The news quickly travelled around the world. The nation celebrated. In some cities, sirens sounded and bells rang.
     On January 27, 1956, President Eisenhower presented me with a gold Congressional Medal for Distinguished Civilian Service. I also received the Lasker Award in a separate ceremony. I never patented my vaccine. "Would you patent the sun?" I once asked.
     Years later I helped to establish the Medical Research Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California. I and other researchers participated in AIDS research.
     I died of heart failure at age 80 in La Jolla on June 23, 1995.
     My name is Dr. Jonas Salk, and I am known for the Salk polio vaccine.

Editor's note: For a detailed short biography of Jonas Salk visit  www.wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment