Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Who Am I? (Number 15)

     I was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. in 1912. Shortly after my birth, my family moved to New Jersey where I received my education in public schools and graduated from college in 1932. The following year I earned an M.A. in a discipline that would firmly establish my career and reputation.
     Teaching was my lifelong vocation.
     In 1934 and 1935 my work involved statistical research. Later in 1935 I went to Washington, D.C. and joined the "New Deal." I thought that the WPA, CCC, and PWA were appropriate responses to the critical situation of the Great Depression. However, I did not like the imposition of price controls at the National Recovery Administration and Agricultural Adjustment Administration. I believed that the Great Depression was caused by an ordinary financial shock whose duration was extended by the contraction of the money supply by the Federal Reserve. I worked for several agencies in the federal government, including the National Bureau of Economic Research.
     In 1940 I was appointed an assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. A year later I returned to Washington, D.C. to work for the Treasury Department. In 1942 I advocated a Keynesian policy of taxation. I helped to invent a payroll tax withholding system during the war.
     In 1943 I moved to New York on a fellowship to participate in research at Columbia University. In 1946, after I obtained a PhD at Columbia, I accepted a university teaching job which was to last for 30 years. I also rejoined the National Bureau of Economic Research.
     I am an author of several books. I have received many honors, recognitions and awards, and I won a Nobel prize for work in my discipline. When I retired, I joined a popular TV series to present my challenging opinions on economic and social philosophy. I was also a presidential advisor.
     During my long teaching career, I opposed the draft, supported free choice and competition, recommended legalization of drugs, and I was critical of the U.S. Post Office for its monopoly privileges.
     I had several hobbies. I played tennis and I skied. I read. I made furniture in my own woodshop, including a comfortable sofa.
     I called myself a classical liberal.
     Who I am?
     My name is Milton Friedman.

Editor's note: Identity and links added 36 hours after initial post.

References:
  1) Academy of Achievement
  2) Wikipedia--Milton Friedman
  3) You Tube-- Milton Friedman

No comments:

Post a Comment