Saturday, June 29, 2013

Abject Despair--Avoided

I've been formulating an essay in my mind (what's left of it). I intended to describe an unnamed village in Mexico where violent criminals rule--they've bought the mayor and police chief. What's a sensible citizen to do but protect oneself and one's family? A high wall, concertina wire, guard dogs, weapons readily at hand etc. Reform? Forget it, there's nothing one can do.

This is, of course, an analogy for how most of us feel about corruption in DC. We see the problem. We see how it has destroyed our democracy. It is our nation's most serious problem, blocking effective action on all other issues. But what can we do? Complain? Get others to understand the problem and feel miserable as we do? Or, simply hunker down and live with it?

After supporting Lawrence Lessig for years and, more recently, Rootstrikers, I came to the conclusion that the organization is all about bemoaning the problem--defining it and following with details ad nauseam in the hope that by some, undefined, process this would lead to a solution. Recently, I conducted an informal survey of friends and acquaintances finding that, while they understood the problem and agreed on its importance, they had no idea of what to do (Rootstrikers approach seen as hopeless). Further, they tended to prioritize all political problems in accordance with their belief in an achievable solution to same. All of this led me to the 'despair' in the title of this piece.

But wait, there's a glimmer--not the end of the tunnel--not yet. My hero (I'm not kidding), Lawrence Lessig, has evolved a plan and, I'm hoping will build on it, which brings some of us to action. To understand, you'll need to watch the video of his interview with Bill Moyers (I'll provide a link below).

This (my) piece has a dual purpose: the first, to let you see that there's hope; there's some real action here--some movement. Maybe we should all get involved. The second purpose is to persuade Lessig that he needs to do more--give every voter a way to express their disgust at the polls-- a way to show support for the purpose of Rootstrikers-- for Lawrence Lessig and his campaign (write-ins, anyone?).

Don't give up. As a token of my continued support, I'm sending another modest contribution to ROOTSTRIKERS.

The link is to a Bill Moyers interview with Lessig. The first half deals with the NSA (Snowden) scandal. Here it is: WATCH THE VIDEO.

 

 

 
STRIKE, is now available in paperback. You can obtain it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble (use title and my full name). Or, from me $12.00 post paid.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment