Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Madame Adelle's Perilous Ride at Oswego







Cortland Democrat, September 1, 1882.
Madame Adelle, the Celebrated Female Aeronaut of Oswego.
Up in a Balloon—And Down into the Lake—Madame Adelle’s Perilous Ride—Skipping Over the Water at a High Rate of Speed—The Tug Morey’s Chase and Rescue—The Aeronaut’s Story.
   The balloon was one of the greatest attractions of the day and thousands of people watched the inflation of the giant globe in the west park through the afternoon, many scarcely leaving the park for hours, fearing that the balloon might get up before they could return. There was very little delay on the part of the lady and a few minutes after four the Columbia rose slowly from the earth and floated away, the balloonist throwing out handbills among the crowd.
   From the very start it became evident that the balloon would go over the lake, but the people had unbounded confidence in the pluck of the lady and were satisfied that she would come out of it all right. Many ran after the balloon along the lake shore and watched it as it drifted in and out, veering towards the land sometimes but still drifting over the lake.
   Just as the balloon rose from the square the tug C. P. Morey, with Captain Bappa in command, carrying a party of excursionists, came down the river and seeing the balloon floating toward the lake and no tug in sight determined to follow in the hope of being of service. The life-boat was already rowing rapidly up the lake, but Captain Bappa says the balloon was going three miles to their one and the chances of catching it were small. The Morey took the life-boat in tow and ran on, the tug sounding her whistle as a warning to the aeronaut to come down if she could. She understood the signal and soon after the balloon began to descend and the basket was soon skipping along the surface of the lake.
   Captain Bappa saw he was losing time by towing the life-boat and ordered it to be cast adrift, while the tug, putting on all steam, dashed after the flying balloon. Madame Adelle had taken a life preserver with her and had belted it on and was clinging to the netting and trying her best to keep the basket upright. It was a terrible chase and those excursionists who took part in it wiII not be likely to forget it soon. But the tug won and Madame Adelle was picked up fifteen miles up the lake and seven miles out, more dead than alive. The time occupied by the chase was an hour and 35 minutes. She was taken to the cabin where her wants were attended to by Miss Annie Mott and Martha Pepper.
   Madame Adelle says that she heard the first whistle of the tug and at once let out gas and came down. She was nearly exhausted when overtaken by the tug. The chase by the Morey and the good judgment shown by the captain in the pursuit merit the highest commendation.
MADAME  ADELLE'S STORY.
   Madame Adelle in conversation with a TIMES reporter this morning said that the gas was not sufficient to inflate the balloon properly but she was obliged to go as the rain was increasing and she made the ascension without ballast. She gives the following graphic account of the trip:
   “After the balloon rose it tended northwest and began to approach the lake, I threw out a winter cloak thinking I might rise into a different current which would take the balloon away from the lake, but it still continued to work its way northward and when over the west breakwater I cut off the anchor rope and it presented a curious sight as it fell. The water below looked nearly black and I knew I had attained a great elevation and was still rising. Shortly afterward the balloon was enveloped in
A HEAVY SNOW STORM
and for a few moments I could see nothing but the white snow flakes beneath me. The snow melted on the balloon and filled the cordage with water causing it to settle somewhat so that in a few moments I came in sight of the lake. I hung out the red signal flag, and fastened on my cork jacket and looked towards the harbor and saw the sail boats but could not tell which was the life boat. I saw a steam tug and thought it was coming to my aid. I kept swaying the balloon towards the shore, thinking I could keep it near enough the beach to strike a point of land which I saw (probably Nine Mile Point) for I dreaded to plunge into the Lake. I watched the tug and saw that I was receding and gradually working off shore. At this time the tug was a mere speck in the distance. I opened the valve and braced myself in the basket and prepared for the plunge. When the balloon struck the water the basket
TURNED OVER ON ITS SIDE,
throwing me over on my face, and immersing me up to my shoulders. The globe was also partially on its side. I knew that my only safety was in keeping inside the basket. My weight kept it nearly under water and all the while I was in the water up to my arm pits. The wind acted on the balloon as if it would go on a sail and it seemed to me that it went ploughing through the water at a fearful rate. I was on my knees in the basket and clung to the concentrating hoop. I didn't hear the whistle of the tug. I realized my condition and began to calculate my chances for rescue. I looked back and could not see tug, boat or sail. Off in one direction I saw land but it seemed to be far distant, and I was going from it. I resolved to make the best of my situation and keep cool. My better judgment said: ''Don't be frightened." In cases of extreme danger I have the most self-possession and at such times feel cheerful.
   As I was dragged along I sang: "All my hopes in Thee are stayed.” and kept looking over my shoulder for the tug. I must have dragged twenty minutes when I spied the steam of the tug in the distance. I gave utterance to an exclamation of joy. Then came chorus of that verse, "He saves me, saves me now." How I watched that tug can better be imagined than described. I saw they were gradually gaining on me, but slowly. I must have dragged an hour before they overtook me It occurred to me that if I could grasp on… [missing a line of type at top of news page—CC editor.] down into the water and that drew the balloon nearer to the surface. I heard the tug whistle and nearer and nearer they came and I could distinguish forms and hear the puffing.
IT WAS THE SWEETEST MUSIC
I ever heard. They came along side and I shouted to them to look out for the gas and not set it on fire. Some one on board called out to me "don't get excited" and reached me a rope. I passed it around the iron ring and handed it back. With that they drew the balloon alongside and several men seized me by the shoulders and lifted me over on to the deck. I was nearly exhausted, chilled through and shivered with cold. I don't think I could have lived two hours longer in the water. They were obliged to cut the balloon in order to let the gas out. I saved a telescope loaned me by Mr. Wendell by tying it to the basket. A beautiful basket of flowers was presented me by Dr. Dodge. The flowers were lost but I saved the basket as a memento. I am all right to-day with the exception of a little rheumatism from being so long in the water."
THE TWENTY-EIGHTH ASCENSION.
   Madam Adelle says that the ascension yesterday was her twenty-eighth. She thought the day peculiarly favorable and claims that she feels no more fear of going up in the clouds than in taking a ride on the railroad.





Brooklyn Daily Union-Argus, Wednesday, July 5, 1882.

A Female Aeronaut’s Perilous Adventure.
   Madame Adelle made a balloon ascension from Oswego yesterday. She was carried out over Lake Ontario soon after rising. After throwing out everything to keep up, hoping to strike a current that would carry her back over the land, she saw a tug on the lake, apparently following her. She then opened the valve and came down in the water about seven miles from land, clinging to the balloon. She was dragged through the water several miles, and was finally picked up in a very exhausted condition by the tug C. P. Morey, which was on the lake with an excursion party about seventeen miles west of the city. She was in the water nearly an hour.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment