Thursday, January 29, 2015


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, March 29, 1889.

   Mary C. Wheeler, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wheeler, died Tuesday March 3, 1889, at the home of her parents in Little York. A lovely life has passed into the beautiful beyond, where no pain can mar its happiness.
   "Matie's" life was one of more than usual loveliness. It was not strange that she was the idol of the household, the youngest born, attractive in person, gentle in her ways, with a soul of transparent truthfulness, and a heart filled with rare unselfishness. During the last illness of George, the only brother, who died with consumption fourteen years ago, Matie left school, giving up freely her cherished plans to be with him. And as the years have passed, she has been the light of the old home.
   While her sisters went out to homes of their own, Matie remained with her sweetness and cheer to comfort her parents. A cough had, at times, troubled her ever since the death of George, and it was feared the seeds of consumption were developing, but not until about six months ago did her friends become alarmed. Her devotion to her invalid mother was so great that, when she was urged to leave home for the benefit it might bring herself, she would not consent until she thought her mother better.
   But it was at last evident that Matie was herself passing beyond all earthly help. She was deeply affected by the sudden death of her sister, Mrs. Emma Utley, just seven weeks before her own death. Her stricken friends felt that Matie must soon follow.
   She failed rapidly from that time, but the passing away was as peaceful as though the angels had kissed away the gentle spirit. She looked too beautiful to bury as she lay in the lovely white casket, sleeping her long peaceful sleep amid the beautiful, pure flowers. But the storm of the day was in keeping with the storm of grief in the torn hearts of those who must bid her farewell.
   The sister who had died a few weeks previously had been placed in the receiving vault, and Emma and Matie were buried together in one wide grave. Truly, "lovely in their lives, in death they were not divided."

The White Lead Swindler in Durance—A Clever Rascal Secured.
   About a year ago the DEMOCRAT gave in detail the particulars of a transaction whereby Mr. O. L. Ingraham, of this village, was swindled out of $75 by a sleek looking individual, who claimed to be the agent of the Jewett White Lead Company of New York, and whose card bore the name of F. L. Stanton. Some two months since Stanton was in Fulton, N. Y., where he succeeded in victimizing a party in the same manner and for the same amount. His method of doing business was as follows:
   Soon after arriving in town he called upon Mr. Ingraham and handed him an engraved card of the Jewett White Lead Company with his own name printed in the corner, and offered to appoint Ingraham sole agent for the company's goods in this vicinity and at the same time agreed that the company should fill all orders from him, at one half cent per pound less than the same goods could be bought elsewhere. Ingraham was of course glad to accept the agency and blanks of the company were at once produced and filled out by Stanton and signed by him as agent for the firm. A few minutes later he informed Ingraham that he was a little short of expense money and that he would have to draw on the firm for $75, and requested his customer to step over to the bank and identify him, to which Mr. Ingraham readily assented. Of course the bank officials required Mr. Ingraham to endorse the draft, which he did. Stanton put the money in his pocket and went to the Messenger House when he dined and at 2:50 took the E. C. & N. train for Ithaca.
   Two or three days later the draft was returned with a letter from the Jewett Company stating that Stanton was a fraud and swindler and was not in their employ. Ingraham had to pay the draft.
   For twelve years past this rascal has been engaged in swindling drug and hardware dealers all over the United States and Canada. In 1884 he was an inmate of the Kingston, Ontario penitentiary, serving a three years sentence for swindling people in that province in precisely the same way that he swindled Ingraham. In 1885 he was arrested on the same charge at Chattanooga, and after remaining in jail a few months he gave bail in the sum of $500 and never returned. With these exceptions he has managed to elude the officers all these years and it is estimated that his income from the draft business has amounted to at least $5,000 per annum.
   On the 7th day of February last, he turned up at Vassar, Mich., and sold Harry W. Dean a bill of lead at a half cent off and persuaded Dean to go to the bank and identify him on a draft for $75, for "expense money" on the Eckstein White Lead Company of Cincinnati. Dean paid the draft a few days later, while Stanton hied [sic] himself as far west as Illinois, where he swindled many dealers.
   On the 18th of this month he called on G. W. Blackman & Sons, at Painesville, O., and was at once recognized by them as the same party who swindled them out of $75 while they were in the hardware business at Ellicottsville, N. Y., about two years ago. Blackman took out a warrant for his arrest but Stanton had meantime taken the train for Ashtabula. He was followed and brought back to Painesville. Eckstein of Cincinnati was at once notified by telegraph, who in turn telegraphed to Dean of Vassar, Mich., that the bird had been caught. Dean took out the necessary papers and obtained a requisition from the Governor and the prisoner was, after a bitter legal squabble, turned over to the Michigan officer who left with his prisoner on the first train.
   Stanton travels under more than a dozen aliases and claims to be the agent of different companies in the lead and varnish trade. How he manages to get possession of the engraved stationery of the different firms is a mystery. He always operates in the same manner and usually makes his drafts for the same amount. To the newspaper men who interviewed him in jail he chatted pleasantly, but was very reticent as to his past life. He stated that he had a wife and two children but refused to disclose their whereabouts, as he said they were ignorant of his troubles and he did not wish to cause them needless anxiety. He is about 32 years old, 5 feet 6 inches high, dresses well and has a sharp grey eye. His manners are easy and he would be taken for a prosperous and successful drummer [travelling salesman—CC editor]. He has the reputation of being the "slickest'' man in the business. It is to be hoped that he will be punished to the full extent of the law.

   Last Tuesday Hiram Parker of Blodgett's Mills, came to town in search of one J . P. Whiting of the same place, who has been at work building some new houses for Mr. E. F. Squires, on Rickard st. He left home on Monday, telling his wife that if he did not return at night, she might expect to find his body in the river. He did not return and his wife was consequently alarmed. On going to the house where he had been working they found that he was there on Monday morning about two hours. Posted in a conspicuous place in the house was the following notice:
   Mr. Squires,
   I am obliged to go from here on pecurler surcamstance. I shal & have made up my mind to never be no mor on earth so it will be your duty to git som one to finish this work.
   Mr. Parker went home and the neighbors have been searching for Whiting since without finding him. If we are not mistaken this is not the first time Whiting has suddenly disappeared from his home only to turn up in some other locality.

Board of Trade.
   A meeting of the Cortland Board of Trade was held Wednesday morning in the Collins block and the following officers were elected for the ensuing year:
President— C. W. Collins.
Vice President—F. D. Smith.
Secretary—D. W. Van Hoesen.
Treasurer—C. W. Stoker.
Directors—A Sager, H. F. Benton, H. M. Kellogg, F. H. Cobb, C. F. Brown, S. M. Ballard.

Bicycle Club.
   The annual meeting of the Cortland Bicycle Club was held last Thursday evening when the following offices were elected for the ensuing year:
President—M. S. Bierce.
Vice President—C. H. Overton.
Secretary and Treasurer—I. B. Knickerbocker.
Captain—C. L. Kinney.
Lieutenant—H. J. Woodmansee.
Tourmaster—W. D. Cloyes.

A Fine Lot of Horses.
   Mr. A. D. Cronk arrived at the Cortland House last Saturday with a very fine lot of Canada and Western horses, which will be sold at auction at the hotel stables tomorrow (Saturday) at 11 A. M. Farmers in want of serviceable, sound and kind young horses will be able to suit themselves at this sale, and any one wanting a family horse or a road team can be accommodated The horses are all from 5 to 7 years of age and are warranted sound and kind and will work in any harness. The sale is to be absolute and without reserve and horses will be sold to the highest bidder. Undoubtedly this is finest lot of horses ever brought into Cortland county and lovers of horse flesh will enjoy looking them over. They have attracted large crowds of people every day since their arrival.


No comments:

Post a Comment