Sunday, January 18, 2015


The Cortland Democrat, February 15, 1889.

Mechanics' Hall on Fire Again.

   Some four or five weeks ago we gave an account of the burning of a portion of Mechanics' Hall in Homer. The building has been an eye sore to the citizens of that place for many years and if it had been entirely consumed on that occasion the mourners would have been few. Of course no one cared to see the property of others destroyed, but the destruction of the building itself, if it could have happened without loss to anyone would have been regarded as a good thing.
   After the fire the officers of the Baptist Church in that place made several attempts to purchase the property with a view of turning the grounds into a handsome park, but they were unable to make satisfactory terms with the owners.
   At about 8 o'clock last Tuesday morning the building was again discovered to be on fire. The fire started in the basement and about two-thirds of the building was destroyed. Those portions owned by James Day and Charles A. Ford were not injured by this fire, but the damage done by both fires has substantially destroyed the old rookery. A barrel of beer in Nunan's saloon exploded during the blaze and many supposed that it was a keg of powder from the fact that the report was so loud.
   The fire is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary, but it is doubtful if the guilty party will be much sought after. Mr. Jerome Baker and son were occupying Mr. Ford's rooms, and it was some time before they could be aroused.
    The Homer fire bell seems to be of little use as many people living near the scene of the fire did not know of it until they were told in the morning.

A Lucky Accident.
   Last Sunday evening the passenger train on the E. C. & N. road met with an accident about two miles east of DeRuyter that might and ordinarily would have resulted disastrously. The connecting rod on the right hand side of the engine broke and the piece attached to the drivers commenced slashing the cab, in which were Jonas Miller, the engineer, and his son Dell, who is the fireman. The broken rod tore through the cab, cutting the engineer's seat squarely in two, and tearing off the arms attached to the boiler, filled the cab full of escaping steam. Miller and his son managed to get out of the cab and on the water tank of the tender, where they were forced to stay until the engine stopped, after running a mile and a half, for want of steam.
   How they got out of the cab without being seriously scalded or injured by the broken rod is a mystery to them, as well as to everybody else. Almost immediately after the connecting rod broke, the drivers left the track and the strain on the rod on the left hand side was so great that it also broke. The forward trucks and the trucks of the tender remained on the track, but the drivers running close to the rails cut off the bolts and Fish plates for nearly a mile and a half as clean as it could have been done by the most approved machinery.
   An engine was sent from this place to bring the wrecked engine and the train through, and a gang of employes were sent up the road to repair the damage to the track. The train came in about two hours late. The engine is a sorry looking sight. The cab is almost entirely demolished, and the sides of the engine look at if they had stood the siege of a battering ram and come out second best. Fortunately no one was injured, but many were badly frightened.
   [At the time this newspaper was published, the word employees was spelled with one e after y. In other posts CC has added a second e when the word was encountered, and CC dropped intentionally a few comas here and there while copying text. The rule for capitals, that a singular subject takes a singular verb, had notable exceptions at that time—CC editor.]

To Washington.
   For the benefit of those who desire to attend inauguration ceremonies of President-elect Harrison, the E. C. & N. has arranged to sell excursion tickets at rate of regular one way fare, $10.70, on February 28, March 1, 2, 3. These tickets will be valid for continuous passage going from Feb. 28, to March 8, inclusive; and will be good for continuous return passage on or before March 8th. The E. C. & N. afternoon train No. 4 connects with Northern Central night express, arriving in Washington the next morning. Further information regarding time, train, etc., will be supplied on application to E. C. & N.

Presbyterian Church.
   At a meeting of the society of the Presbyterian church held at the church parlors last Monday afternoon, the plans for the new church as printed in this paper two weeks since, were submitted by the committee and adopted. The following committee was appointed to solicit subscriptions: H. F. Benton, T. H. Wickwire, C. W. Collins, M. H. McGraw, D. F. Wallace, A. F. Tanner, F. Boynton, A. D. Kingsbury, and S. M. Ballard.
   The committee have started out to raise $90,000 and the subscriptions will not be binding on subscribers unless that sum is raised. We understand that the committee have thus far met with most excellent success and they have no doubt but that they will be able to raise the amount required in a very short time. There will be another meeting of the society on the 25th inst., when the committee will report progress.

East Hill.

   Thursday was a beautiful winter's day, and for fear society would get dull, East Hill turned out en masse, carrying huge baskets filled with delicious refreshments, and filled the home of Ransom McElheny full of good natured people. Jack Frost ruled out doors with a heavy hand, and cold noses, and toes, complained, but all that sort of thing was soon forgotten, as he never once intruded inside the doors.
    We served a very substantial supper, after which the young people, tripped the light fantastic toe, and played games, and if I am not mistaken the older ones came just as near to playing games as did the younger ones. Gus McUmber presented to Mr. McElheny a nice sum of money and to Mrs. McElheny a nice set of silver forks. They have only lived in our neighborhood a year, but a very friendly feeling has sprung up among us, and we are sorry they are to move away so soon.
   X. Y. Z. [pen name]

The Demorest Medal.
   A class of seven, ranging in age from 12 to 15 years, under the supervision of Mrs. L. Matthewson, held a Demorest silver medal contest at the Saturday meeting of the W. C. T. U. A good sized and attentive audience greeted the efforts of the children. By request, Rev. J. A. Robinson, Mrs. F. P. Coffin and Miss E. E. Morris acted as judges. The medal fell to the only young miss in the class—Maud M. Whiston.
   Rev. Mr. Robinson accompanied the presentation with a few remarks congratulatory to the winner, and comforting and encouraging to the six lads who tried so bravely, but did not net the prize.
   Mrs. Matthewson's second class will hold a contest in the W. C. T. U. rooms at three o'clock on Friday next (Feb. 15th). A general invitation is extended.
   Cortland Co. already holds five of these silver medals, and hopes in the near future to win a sufficient number (eight) to entitle the winners to form a competing class for a gold medal.
   All honor to Mr. Demorest for his generous effort which aims at elevating the citizen of to-morrow by cultivating temperance sentiment in the children of to-day.

   The Y M. C. A. have opened a branch reading room at the E. C. & N. depot.
   Wickwire Brothers have just put in sixty more looms and have discontinued running nights.
   A party of young people visited Little York last Monday evening, and were handsomely entertained at the Raymond House.
   The next regular meeting of the order of the King's Daughters will be held at the residence of Mrs. Robert Purvis, 19 Union St., next Saturday at 3 P. M.
   The National Express Company have secured the contract for carrying express matter over the Ithaca, Auburn & Western road from Freeville to Auburn.
   Dr. F. D. Reese has purchased a building lot of Mr. C. E. Rowley, on Tompkins street, just east of the residence of Dr. J. Ball. The price paid is $50 per foot.
   Dr. C. E. Ingalls, President of the San Rafael Mining and Milling Company, has purchased of Robert Otto, a handsome rolltop desk, and the same is now in his office.
   A fox chase is announced to take place in this village, Saturday afternoon. A live fox is to be let loose in rear of A. M. Schermerhorn's building on Port Watson street.
   The Truxton Horse Thief Detective Association elected the following officers last week: President, John Pierce; Secretary, Peter D. Mullen; Treasurer, Albert Stevens. The association has $73.85 in its treasury.
   At a recent meeting of the State Board of Pharmacy at Rochester, Fred I. Graham, who is now permanently located in the Grand Central drug store, was by examination granted a diploma, giving legal right to practice pharmacy in the State of New York.
   DeWitt C. Littlejohn, who built the Midland railroad from Oswego to New York, is moving for a road from Canastota to the St. Lawrence river. He thinks that the people of northern New York will raise the money and that the Cortland and Northern road will lease and operate it.—DeRuyter Gleaner.
   The Hitchcock Manufacturing Company have shipped a large lot of new machinery to Binghamton to be used in the new Wagon Company's shops. They have also shipped a car load of machinery to the Brantford Wagon Co. in Canada, besides, supplying the Cortland Wagon Company with some special machinery.
   By the breaking of both driving bars on the engine, Wednesday morning, the 10:02 train on the D. L. & W. road was delayed for about three hours just below State Bridge [Messengerville]. No one was injured, though all were quite severely shaken up.
   The Cortland Corset Company expect to start up Monday, Feb. 25th. They have a new specialty which they call the "Jewel Casket,'' which they believe will take the cake, and which they will put on the market soon after starting up. Mr. B. D. McClure, of Buffalo, a very competent gentleman, has become associated with the company.
   Sheriff Borthwick went to Springville, last Thursday, with a bench warrant to arrest Mr. Hugh O'Neil. Mr. O'Neil was not at home, although his wife informed the sheriff that he had been there, and was arranging his business preparatory to giving himself up, which she said he would do before the forty days expired. The sheriff left the warrant with a local officer, to be served as soon as O'Neil put in an appearance.
   CHENANGO.—The passenger and freight depot of the D. L. & W company, at Norwich, will soon have electric lights.
   The coal dealers of Norwich have combined and keep the price of coal a dollar a ton above Oxford prices.
   Two young lads, Glen Bolb and Eddie Bingham, of Greene, were run over by a "wild cat" engine and caboose going south Friday morning about 8:30 o'clock. The boys were sliding down hill on the east side of the river. Glen Bolb was instantly killed. Eddie Bingham was badly injured and is in a critical condition, his head being badly cut and one foot crushed.
   MADISON.— Henry Hines, of Sullivan, was tried at Morrisville, last week, for the murder of his step-father, George Fitch. He plead guilty of murder in the second degree, Thursday morning, and was sentenced to Auburn State prison for life.
   Editor Taylor, of Cazenovia, Editor Robbins, of Canastota, Editor Waldron, of Hamilton, Editor Spooner, of Brookfield, and Editor Parker, of Oneida, are candidates for postoffice in their respective villages. We like to see editors come to the front.—Union.
   TOMPKINS.— W. A. Locke, of McLean, has the stone and sand drawn for his new hotel.
   The Cornell University buildings are insured to the amount of one million dollars, and by a recent transaction Schuyler Grant carries, as agent, this entire amount.
   Timothy Riordan of Ithaca, who was examined before the Recorder on Friday last, upon the charge of keeping a disorderly house, was held for appearance before the Grand Jury.
   Mr. Ward Gregory, proprietor of the Ithaca Democrat, and present post master, is critically ill with Bright's disease, and is considered a grave case. Dr. J. W. Dowling, a celebrated specialist of New York, was here in consultation, Monday. The Dr.'s modest fees for his brief visit are reported to have been $300.
   Richard Mason, the old man who was assaulted by Barber some time ago, died at his home near Trumansburg on Saturday last. The deceased never recovered from the effects of his injuries, and, it is said, his one wish was to see Barber, who was convicted of the murder of Mrs. Mason executed. The remains were interred in the Pine Grove cemetery on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment