Sunday, February 1, 2015


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, April 12, 1889.

To the Memory of Mrs. Collins.
   At a regular meeting of the W. C. T. U. of Cortland, the following tribute to Mrs. Mary E. Collins [Mary Ellen Mudge--CC editor], who passed from this [life] into the higher life, March 31, 1889, was adopted, with the recommendation that a copy be furnished each of the village papers and one also sent to the family of our sister.
   In the death of our beloved sister, Mrs. Mary E. Collins, the Woman's Christian Temperance Union has lost an earnest, intelligent and conscientious fellow laborer, who was like an inspired leader among us, whose example is worthy our imitation, and whose spirit and life rest upon us as a benediction. Yet, while we mourn her loss, we thank our Heavenly father for her spotless life, and pray that her death may lead all of us to a more thorough consecration of our powers to the work of raising up the fallen, comforting the afflicted and opposing wrong-doing wherever we may find it.
   God had given her a wonderful power of keen perception into the magnitude and requirements of this work. She saw more clearly than others the misery of our land as it lies struggling in the ever tightening clutch of the rum fiend.
   In words which burned into our hearts like living fire, she used to speak to us of the danger to our homes and our children, which is ever closing in upon us and threatening to overwhelm us; then with that rare hopefulness, that wonderful confidence in God which never entertained for a moment the faintest doubt of ultimate victory, she would challenge us to still further consecration and activity in this terrible war which is yet so hot and furious upon us.
   We shall sadly miss her everywhere. There is not a department in our Union in which she was not warmly, enthusiastically interested.
   Hers was a mind richly endowed with wonderful resources, an immense, never failing reserve power always at command.
   No emergence could lie too great or sudden for her to meet.
   Her confidence in the mission of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union was profound and voiced itself, not only in words, but in self-sacrificing devotion and entire consecration to the work. God grant the mantle of her sweet unselfish life, so brave and true, in its glad readiness to say to every call of God for workers—"Here am I, send me," may fall upon many a woman's heart, who, before this day, has hidden her talent, in the napkin of selfish ease and pleasure.
   To her family, who have lost such a loving heart from their home circle, the gentle queen from the sacred mother throne, we tender our heartfelt sympathies and pray God's richest blessing to rest upon each and every one.
   The following is a testimonial from the members of the Mothers' meeting, which she did so much to establish and which lay so near her heart.
   It is with sad, yet trusting hearts, that we record the departure from this life of our sister Mrs. Mary E. Collins.
   At the organization of these meetings Mrs. Collins was very earnest, thoughtful and prayerful. She read a paper on "Mothers' Meetings, Past and Present," and spoke in her candid way of the need of more good, positive, educated Christian mothers.
   Those present will recall her plea to the sisters to look after the motherless children, to have a special interest in them and often help them by giving a word of cheer.
   She was ever eager, not for selfish happiness, but to seek out and brighten the dark homes and lighten the heavy hearts.
   Her work was characterized by intellectual and spiritual strength. She laid deeply the foundations and built symmetrically.
   The scope of beneficence that she broadened by example and precept, the high social standing she attained and the strong friends she made are but an index to the faithful manner in which she wrought.
   She was a woman of noble presence; she beautifully combined dignity with cordiality, her courtesy to all was most constant and delicate because it was that of the heart.
   Loyal to everything noble, unassuming and humble, devoted to duty, with a high sense of honor, strong of will yet obedient to conscience she has left a record which shall never die.
   This association devoutly prays that God's richest blessing may rest upon the bereaved family, especially the children deprived so early of a mother's love and care.
   The resolutions of the Willard Y.'s upon the death of Mrs. Mary E. Collins:
   WHEREAS, In view of the great loss we have sustained by the death of our dear friend and helper, Mrs. Mary E. Collins, it is but just that a fitting recognition of her many virtues should be made, therefore, be it
   Resolved, That while we bow with submission to the will of our Heavenly Father we do not the less mourn for her who has been taken from us.
   Resolved, That in her death our Willard Y. mourns one who was ever ready to lend her aid and voice of sympathy, not only to those of the society, but to all who were needy and distressed, the children’s friend and helper, who was dear to us all, and her upright, noble life should be our example.
   Resolved, That from her we accept as a legacy the work she would have us do, and give our heartfelt sympathy to our sister, her daughter, on whom may her mantle fall.
   Resolved, That these resolutions be put on our records, published in our papers and a copy be given to the family, with the comforting thought that "she being dead, yet speaketh."

The Cortland Furniture Company.
   The above is the title of a new manufacturing company which has been organized in this place, and which is composed of the stockholders of the Hayes Chair Company and the Cortland Desk Company. The stockholders in each of the old companies have the same amount of stock issued to them in the new company that they owned in the old. Both companies sell out to the new organization.
   The capital stock is $100,000, and the new concern will manufacture chairs, desks, tables, caskets, and in fact, everything in the line of furniture.
   The Hayes Chair company have divided 8 per cent per annum for several years past and had a large surplus which has been used to purchase stock in the new company. Additional buildings will be erected adjoining the present works of the Hayes Chair Company and the offices and factory will be located there.
   The organization was perfected on Tuesday evening when the following directors were elected: L. S. Hayes, Fred. S. Kingsbury, Theo. Stevenson, E. O. Reckard, Jas. S. Squires, E. B. Glenn and F. E. Whitmore.
   The officers will be chosen Thursday evening and the new company will then be ready to commence active operations. The directors are all well known business men, who will do everything possible to push the business. It is believed that the new organization and consolidation will be beneficial to the stockholders of both concerns. That business men in town so regard it is proved from the fact that a well known citizen, who never puts money into an unsuccessful venture, subscribed for a large block of stock even before the new company was fairly organized. The Hayes chair has a reputation all over the country and the Cortland desks had become very popular and sell without difficulty. We predict a successful business future for the Cortland Furniture Company.

   Mahan’s music festival will be held last week in May.
   James E. Sager has been appointed policeman in place of Nathan Hunt, resigned.
   The Catholic society of Marathon are talking of erecting a new church in that place the coming summer.
   The Normal base ball club has been re-organized and the boys are in practice for a game to be played with the Ithaca High School nine on April 20th.
   An excellent picture of the late Rev. B. F. McLoghlin may be seen in Briggs & Peck's show window, on Main street. It is the work of Mr. J. Henri Fischer, and reflects great credit on the ability of the artist.
   The house on the lot upon which Mr. C. H. Wickwire is to build his handsome residence has been moved to a lot on Reynolds avenue, owned by Mrs. L. Downs, and will be occupied by her as soon as it is [finished].
   Messrs. S. L. Buck and W. B. Bentley have purchased the large three-story building, No. 110 Elm street, of Theodore Stevenson, and have converted the same into an hotel. There are forty-one rooms in the house, and it will be open to the public tomorrow.
   Milton S. Price, the well known Syracuse merchant, died at his home in that city at 11:15, on Tuesday evening, aged 65 years. His wife died last October. Edmund K. Price, his brother, who resides in the same city, is his only living blood relation. Mr. Price had been a merchant in Syracuse 36 years.
   Joseph H. May, Esq., who formerly conducted the Virgil Hotel successfully, has taken possession of the Half-way house between this place and Homer, where he may be found ready to entertain all callers. The house has been thoroughly renovated and repaired and presents a very inviting appearance. It will be well managed.
   The Hitchcock Manufacturing Co. are erecting a building, 24x34, two stories, opposite their factory on Elm street for the use of Hitchcock Hose. The first floor will be used for horses and fire apparatus, and the second story for a place of meeting and for sleeping bunks. The company propose to be prepared for any and every emergency.
   The amendments to the charter of this village which have been revised by a committee appointed for that purpose, were submitted to the board of Trustees last Saturday and after receiving their approval, were delivered into the hands of Assemblyman Peck. The bill containing these amendments passed the Assembly on Wednesday of this week, and the Senate took the same action at the request of Senator Hendricks. Pretty quick work.

Edwin Booth
   The jury in the case of Dr. Hiram S. Crandall, of Utica, charged with criminal abortion disagreed Saturday.
   Four hundred strolling musicians arrived from Europe Wednesday. The Musical Union will try to have them sent back under the pauper or contract labor laws.
   Edwin Booth had an attack of incipient paralysis Wednesday evening while on the stage of the Lyceum theatre in Rochester. He was obliged to leave the theatre, but will probably recover after a short rest.
   The Tully Pipe Line Company was recently incorporated to construct a pipeline 24 miles in length from the new salt wells in the upper part of Onondaga Valley to Syracuse.
   Seven hundred carpenters and helpers struck at Syracuse, last week Tuesday, because the builders did not accede to their demand for a nine-hour working day and 22 1/2 cents an hour.
   A reduction of from 5 to 10 per cent in the wages of employes [sic] of the Pennsylvania Steel Works at Harrisburg, Pa., went into effect Monday in accordance with a notice previously given. The reduction affects 3,500 men.
   The Albany Evening Journal has been sold to William Barnes of the Albany Express. The Journal plant will be removed to the Express building, and the former paper will be run under its old name as an evening edition of the Express. Both papers will remain Republican.
   At a meeting of horsemen held in Syracuse last week, there was formed the Central New York trotting circuit for the season of 1889. The circuit will consist of Waterville, Binghamton, Elmira, Albany, Syracuse, Phoenix. Oswego. Auburn and Geneva.
   Toney Pilcher of Melrose, Fla. Became impressed with the belief that the only true baptism was immersion, and that every body and everything should be baptized. He took all his chickens and pigs to a lake and baptized them, and almost every day he would baptize himself. When Sheriff Shelley went to arrest him Tony tried to baptize him, but the Sheriff was too much for him, and got the irons on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment