Friday, March 20, 2015


photo credit Potsdam Public Museum

photo credit Potsdam Public Museum
The Cortland Democrat, Friday, August 30, 1889.

The Animal Train Derailed Near Potsdam on the R. W. & O.
   WATERTOWN, N. Y., Aug. 23—The second train of the Barnum & Bailey shows was wrecked late last night, about two miles and a half east of Potsdam, while enroute on the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg railroad from Gouverneur to Montreal. A broken axle was the cause. Thirty horses, including one of the four chariot teams, and two camels were killed. Six cars were derailed, and two were telescoped so that everything in them was crushed.
   The scene was one of confusion. At either side of the track were distributed the bodies of the dead horses, with here and there a poor beast, which had received injuries that rendered it useless, tethered to fences. At the side of the highway were camels, sacred cows, steers and various other animals, which were rescued from the derailed cars. The cars were crushed and twisted into all sorts of shapes and piled up on the track in a seemingly hopeless entanglement. The elephants, which were in the first car that was derailed, were not hurt.
   Barnum's partner, J. A. Bailey, is at the scene. He says it is difficult to estimate the loss at present, but it will be in the neighborhood of $40,000. He thinks the loss of the day's receipts at Montreal will be about $18,000, and some of the horses that were killed were valued at thousands of dollars each. Money cannot replace them, for two years are required for training them after the right kind have been secured.
   The show was billed for Montreal to-day and to-morrow. The number of horses killed was 33. The New Hampshire and Maine delegations of the G. A. R.  encampment at Milwaukee were delayed at Norwood on account of the accident.
    The track ponies, which have attracted much attention, have suffered in the accident, as did the $7,000 stallion, which was driven by Mrs. Adam Forepaugh, Jr. It is said that Mrs. Forepaugh wept bitterly and would not be consoled when she learned of the death of this horse. The pretty white mule, which also performed remarkable tricks, is among the lost. Seven of the eight chariot horses are also dead.
   Eleven men were taken out of one of the cars via the roof, there being no other way of egress for them. The roof was torn off. All the men were found uninjured, but most of them were badly frightened, one fellow so much so that he took off his shirt as soon as he was released. The night was very dark and this made the work of rescue much more difficult. Bonfires were built at a safe distance from the wreck and they shed some light over the ghastly scene. The Arabs were at first a terrorized crowd, but when they found that none of their party had sustained injuries, they worked bravely in rescuing others, though many a superstitious American mistook them for ghosts as they stalked along in the darkness.

   There is a triangular fight going on in the republican camp for the nomination for County Judge. The leading candidates are: A. P. Smith, Jos. E. Eggleston and Lewis Bouton. The timber is a little scant.
   There is considerable excitement in political circles in New York over the recent announcement that Mrs. James A. Flack had procured a divorce from her husband, who is the present sheriff of the city and county of New York. The publication of the fact, Mrs. Flack claims, was the first she ever heard of it. She denies that she ever made an application for divorce or that she desired to procure one. A reporter of the World interviewed Mrs. Flack with reference to the matter as soon as the matter became known and the denials were made to him. The World has been investigating the matter and it turns out that her story is true and it looks very much as if Mr. Flack thought best to rid himself of an encumbrance in order that he might live with another woman. The evidence thus far shows pretty conclusively that all the testimony in the case and the signatures to the papers were forged and with Mr. Flack's connivance. The facility with which divorces are granted in New York is a burning shame upon the laws of the land and all the parties to this outrage should be promptly punished to the full extent of the law. Flack was a prominent member of Tammany Hall, but that organization notified him as soon as the facts came out that he must resign or he would be expelled. His resignation was promptly forwarded.

I. O. O. F.
   The Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars held its annual meeting in this village at the Opera House on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, of this week. Tuesday morning and afternoon sessions were devoted to the regular business of the organization and none were admitted to the assembly except appointed delegates and members of the order. But there was a large attendance of these, there being about two hundred regularly appointed delegates representing their lodges from all parts of the State, and some four hundred other members who, though not sent as delegates, showed their interest in the cause and work of the order by their presence at this meeting. And the mass meeting held on Tuesday evening secured a crowded house. Fully a half hour before the time appointed for the meeting, the Opera House was well filled, nearly every seat in the house being occupied, and by the time the exercises of the evening began there was a large number standing around the opening to the main audience room, many of whom remained standing through the evening.
   The meeting was opened with a song by a male quartette who treated the audience to some very fine music several times during the evening.
   A short, but comprehensive and appreciative prayer by the Rev. Mr. Beebe, a member of the order and a delegate to the meeting, came next.
   The speaking was formally opened by a short address by Dr. Mann, of Brooklyn, N. Y. He gave a brief history of the origin of the Order of Good Templars and statement of its present condition, extent and numbers. He said that the order was founded and started upon its course of prosperity and usefulness by a few young men in Syracuse, N. Y., and claimed that though it was only a few years ago when this small beginning was made, at the present time the Order of Good Templars have their lodges in every christian land and the chain of its brotherhood reaches around the world, so that it may truly be said, "the sun never goes down upon its extended field of labor for the cause of temperance and the good of humanity." He claimed that "it has more members, holds more meetings and does more work for the advancement of the great cause than all other temperance organizations together."
   Closing with a stirring and really eloquent appeal to the members of the order to go on with their work, Dr. Mann introduced to the audience Mr. John N. Stearns, of New York, who entertained the audience with a somewhat longer speech filled with interesting anecdotes, funny stories, witty sayings, and closing with some earnest exhortations.
   After this speech Prof. George H. Terry, Peconic, Suffolk Co., N. Y., sang a ballad which so delighted the audience that they loudly cheered him till in response to the encore he gave another song which was very amusing and entertaining and delighted the audience again, and perhaps more than before, but it was difficult to see what connection it had with the subject of temperance.
   Then the Rev. W. E. Steele, Chaplain of the House of Refuge on Randall's Island, N. Y., was introduced and made the speech of the evening, and it was a grand one. For about three quarters of an hour he held the close, and much of the time the rapt attention of the crowded house. His speech was so perfectly free from harsh words or bitter denunciations of any persons or class of persons that it could not justly offend any, and yet it was so earnest at times, really eloquent, that it deeply impressed and moved the hearts of his hearers.
   On the whole the meeting must have been highly gratifying to the members of the order as it was deeply interesting to all who attended and must have produced a stronger feeling of sympathy with them in their cause and work.
   Wednesday morning's session was devoted to the nomination of officers and the reception and passing upon resolutions. At the afternoon session the regular annual election of officers for the Grand Lodge of the State was held, when the following ticket was elected by a substantially unanimous vote there being only opposition to two or three of the names.
G. C. T.— D. H. Mann, M. D. of Brooklyn.
G. C.— J. W. Kimball, of Amsterdam.
G. V. T.— Mrs. G. T. Fish, Rochester.
S. S.— D. W. Hooker, Syracuse.
Board of Managers— T. L. Logan, Rochester. A. G. Steen, Elmira, T. G. Ellsworth New York City.
G. T.—B. C. Miller, Brooklyn.

Employing School Teachers.
   Chapter 328 of the laws of this State, passed May 28, 1889, amends the general school law by providing that no trustee or trustees shall employ any teacher for a shorter time than sixteen weeks, unless for the purpose of filling out an unexpired term of school; nor shall any teacher be dismissed in the course of a term of employment, except for reasons, which, if appealed to the superintendent of public instruction, shall be held to be sufficient causes for such dismissal. Any failure on the part of a teacher to complete an agreement to teach a term of school with good reason therefore, shall be deemed sufficient ground for the revocation of the teacher's certificate.

   The fall term of the Academy opened on Monday with a large attendance, many foreign scholars being in attendance.
   Orson Warren occupied the pulpit at the Baptist Church on Sunday morning. Mr. Warren starts in a few days for Massachusetts to attend Moody's school.
   M. C. Bingham has a large force of workmen engaged on his new block and when completed will have the largest and finest store in town.
   Eugene Wood has the frame up for his new house on Elm street.
   About 1 o'clock on Tuesday morning our quiet village was aroused by the alarm of fire, which proved to be the dwelling house of Alba Gross situated on Elm street, which was burned to the ground. Quite a portion of the household goods were saved. The loss is fully covered by insurance.
   Joseph C. Alger died on Wednesday morning.
   NEPOS [pen name]

   John McMackin, who was once a leader of the United States Labor Party, receives his reward for selling out that organization to Harrison last fall in the shape of an appointment as a special inspector of customs.
   The New York Sun says: "The appointment of John McMackin as an inspector of customs marks the formal demise of the United Labor party in the politics of New York. There were 2,184 votes cast in this city for Cowdrey, the United Labor candidate for President, last November. The Labor electoral ticket, instead of containing thirty-six names, had but two, James Redpath and Victor A. Wilder. The other thirty-four were the Harrison electors. Two thousand and six votes were given to this ticket and but 1,78[0]…[print blurred--CC editor] straight ticket of thirty-six Labor electors. McMackin bossed the work.
   One of the complaints made after election by the politico-pious editor of the Mail and Express, Elliott F. Shepard, was that a large sum of good Republican money was wasted in buying various "movements," among them being McMackin's. It appears now that McMackin's reward was not only cash in hand but also a place on the pay roll "when Ben got there."
   The honest laboring men who honestly followed McMackin must feel like the victims of thimble rigging at the circus with their money gone and everybody laughing at them. It is a misfortune that independent labor movements in politics are apt to fall into the hands of tricksters who use them for purposes of bargain and sale. McMackin has done his best for himself. He is reasonably sure of a living for some time to come, while the deluded members of a once promising party are left with nothing for all the trouble they took in elevating him to a place where he could carry on his trade.


No comments:

Post a Comment