Friday, April 3, 2015


William Clark

Standard block, corner Main and Tompkins Streets, Cortland, N. Y.
The Cortland Democrat, Friday, October 18, 1889.

Who Was Responsible?
   "Seven years ago all the candidates of the Republican county ticket save sheriff were beaten by large majorities. The year following, the Republican nominee for County Judge was also defeated."
   We clip the above from an editorial in last week's Cortland Standard on the County Judge question. The statement is true, but who brought about the defeat of the candidates seven years ago? If our memory serves us right, the editor of the Standard claimed the credit of defeating the ticket then. Now, because he thinks it for his interest to have Mr. Eggleston elected, he bewails the fate of a ticket that he slaughtered seven years ago and asks the Republicans of this county to stand by Eggleston. It is all right to defeat the ticket when he don't like it, but it is wrong to defeat it when it suits him.
   Our readers will remember that Eggleston did all that he possibly could to elect the ring ticket seven years ago and if it was a bad ticket none knew it better than he. Either Clark [William Clark, editor and publisher of the Standard—CC editor] was mistaken in his estimate of the candidates then, or he is supporting now, a member of the same gang that he opposed on that occasion.

What He Has Done.
   During his career as President, Mr. Harrison has removed just one office holder for other than partisan reasons—James Tanner. In the meantime he has, in seven months, removed three or four times as many office holders as the Cleveland administration removed in four years. In seven months he has removed 15,000 fourth-class postmasters for purely partisan reasons, and the department is getting rid of the other 40,000 as rapidly as possible.

   Since Tanner left, the public debt statement from the Treasury Department shows a decrease in the debt amounting to $13,685,094. In this case figures speak louder than words.—Philadelphia Times.

   If the lawyers have lost $10,000 in fees during the past six years, owing to the fact that Judge Knox and his clerk draw all the papers necessary for people who have business to do with the Surrogate, where is that money now? The answer is self evident. It is in the pockets of the people where it rightfully belongs. Do the voters of this county desire a change?

   The Democratic candidate for Member of Assembly is a workingman himself and can be relied on, if elected, to cast his vote in the interest of the laboring man. How is it with his opponent Hon. R. T. Peck? Did he vote for or against the interests of the laboring man in the last legislature? It would be well for the wage earner to investigate this subject before casting his vote this fall.

   No one can tell how soon his estate will come before the Surrogate for settlement, and most men prefer to have the property they have accumulated by a lifetime of toil and saving divided among the members of their own families with as little expense as possible. During the past six years every estate that has come before Surrogate Knox for settlement has been closed up in as economical a manner as possible. Is it safe to throw away a certainty for an uncertainty? "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

   The friends of Major Poole of Syracuse are greatly elated over his prospects for the appointment of Commissioner of Pensions. All of the men who were asked to take the place by the President have declined and it is now believed that Major Poole will be selected. Poole should have had the appointment in the first place and the great scandal caused by the performances of Corporal Tanner would have been avoided. Major Poole is a pleasant gentleman and is undoubtedly well qualified for the place. Senator Hiscock is in Washington urging his claims.

Riddled With Shot.
   ITHACA, Oct. 14.—George and Richard Hankins were seriously injured this morning by being shot while duck hunting. They were in a row boat in Fall creek cove when Ed Watkins discharged the contents of a double-barrel shotgun at a duck in the water a few feet from the boat. Both men were riddled with shot from their knees to the top of their heads, each receiving over twenty wounds. George had one shot pass through the right eye, destroying it. Several went through his right arm, and others lodged in his hand, knee, side and scalp. His brother Richard fared but little better, and both are in a precarious condition. Watkins is a weak-minded youth.

A New York Lineman's Horrible Death in Midair—Fingers Amputated and Bodied Disfigured by Electric Current.
   NEW YORK, Oct. 11.—A telegraph lineman named John Feeks met with a horrible death at the corner of Center and Chambers streets, this afternoon, from contact with an electric light wire. He was employed by the Western Union, and presented a terrible sight as he died on the net work of wires in mid air while the deadly fluid actually made his body sizzle, and the blood poured out to the sidewalk and over the clothing of horrified spectators.
   The accident occurred in the middle of the day in one of the busiest parts of the city and was witnessed by a large number of people. The man's body lay limp and motionless over the mass of wires attached to the cross trees of the pole. The firemen brought out a ladder and one went up with a pair of shears to cut the wires. The man was found to be dead. He probably touched the electric light wire by accident. The body remained where it was until the firemen went to the factory and had the current turned off.
   The victim's face was turned toward the sidewalk and in fifteen minutes the wire had burned off half the face. The left arm was also seen to be burning and every few seconds the blue flames spurted out from parts of the body. Hundreds of people stood shivering as they looked at the awful sight. No one dared to go near. Even the firemen's faces blanched with horror.
   Immediately after the accident Mayor Grant was notified by private Secretary Crane. The Mayor gave orders that the wires that caused the accident be cut at once. Secretary Crane said the Mayor would act promptly in the matter, and it is possible he may order the cutting of all electric light wires above ground to-night. The body of the lineman could not be taken down from the wires for half an hour.
   Deputy Coroner Jenkins, who has witnessed some horrifying sights during his official career, said this spectacle was the most ghastly he had ever seen. He was present while efforts were being made to get the body down, and afterwards viewed it. A wire, he said, had cut through the lineman's cheek and had burned clear into the cheek bone. A burn in the throat had severed the windpipe and. many muscles and veins. If the man had remained suspended in the air much longer the head would have been completely severed from the body.
   "From the position which I saw the body supported in the network of wires," he added, "I can conceive just how the accident happened. The man had evidently just placed himself in a position to go to work by swinging one leg over the crossbeam running parallel with Chambers street, when he met his death. He had reached out and grasped a wire which gave him the deadly shock. This was, as I understand it, a fire department telegraph wire which was crossed by an electric light wire at some distant point. The shock may or may not have killed him instantly, but it certainly rendered him unconscious so that his face fell forward on the other wires. I cannot say just which wire he caught hold of first, for his hand dropped from it after the fingers had been amputated by the burns, and fallen to the street."
   A man who witnessed the accident says Feeks had a pipe in his mouth as he lay on the wires. Feeks was 35 years old and leaves a wife and child.

The Stars and Stripes Insulted at a Meeting in Chicago.
   CHICAGO, Oct. 13.—When the American flag was brought out by the janitor at the hall where a Socialist mass meeting was held here to-day it was greeted with hisses. There were probably 1,000 men and women present. The red flag was then unfurled and was succeeded by a burst of applause. Sergius E. Shevitch, of New York, spoke. He declared the hanging of the Anarchists the gravest crime ever perpetrated in America. This and every utterance of the sort was loudly applauded. Shevitch said he was proud of the city in which that execution occurred because he felt that one day it would be the Paris—the city of revolutions—of America. An awful discontent was smoldering in the hearts of the laborers and would soon burst forth in every revolution. It was useless and idle to think this revolution would be peaceful.
   Several other speakers took a milder tone.


No comments:

Post a Comment