Sunday, May 3, 2015


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, February 14, 1890.

Shall We Have a Hospital?
   We learn that an earnest effort is being made or is about to be made to establish a city hospital in Cortland. For some years past many who have seen the need of such an institution in repeated instances of suffering by the homeless, have felt that a movement towards establishing one in our town ought to be made at once, and as our population has increased and the calls for the relief and comfort to the sick and injured, which a small but fairly well arranged and attended hospital might afford have become more frequent, this feeling has grown upon all who have given the subject any thought until now it has been determined to take active measures toward securing such an institution [sic]. No one can doubt its usefulness or deny the worth of the undertaking as a work of Christian charity.
   Among the many laborers in our numerous factories, the students in the
Normal school and the great number of transient residents in our town, there are frequent instances of sickness or severe accidents, in which the sufferer has no home and no place where he can be properly cared for without great expense to himself or being a heavy burden and tax upon the sympathies of those who shall kindly take him into their homes. There have been repeated cases of this kind in our village within the last few years. In some of these cases, the suffering ones were quite unable to bear the expense of securing needed care and attendance in any private house, and yet they were improper subjects for the Poor House, nor is there any proper provision made for such cases there.
   This benevolent enterprise is undertaken by the society or association of the "King's Daughter's," an organization which, within the last few years has become widely known for its practical good works. It is a worthy cause that they have taken up and should enlist the hearty sympathies of all the benevolently disposed.  

A Bold Transaction.
   Last fall one J. H. Rice came to this place from Marathon, where he had been keeping a saloon, and undertook to run a boarding house. His management of the boarding house was not an entire success, and being short of funds and sadly in need of the same, be applied to Mr. Bernard  Dowd, the proprietor of the Farmers' Hotel on Port Watson street, who assisted him in taking a mortgage on some personal property.
   When the obligation for which Mr. Dowd was liable came due, Rice could not pay and the personal property was sold at auction to pay the debt. The sale did not amount to enough into $67 to make Mr. Dowd good.
   Last Thursday afternoon Rice called upon Mr. Dowd and asked for the obligation and was told that it was at the office of Duell & Benedict. He invited Mr. Dowd to go to their office with him saying he would pay the amount. The two started up street and when they arrived at the Second National Bank, Rice asked his companion to step into the bank a moment. After entering. Rice presented a check to President Fitz Boynton for $582, on the Marathon Bank purporting to be signed by Mr. J. C. Lewis of Lisle, at the same time making the remark, "Mr. Dowd knows me to be J. H. Rice."
   As a rule, banks take the precaution when paying money to a stranger, to have the party identifying them endorse the check or draft presented and Mr. Dowd endorsed the check and the money was paid over to Rice. Rice and Dowd then went to Duell & Benedict's office and the obligation was taken up by Rice and the two returned to the Farmers' hotel. Rice claimed that he had sold a house and lot in Lisle to Lewis and taken the check in payment. He soon left the hotel and has not since been seen.
   In the evening a telegram was received from the Marathon Bank, to which the check had been forwarded by mail, stating that Lewis had no account there and of course it was quite evident that the check was a forgery, as Mr. Lewis is understood to be a responsible man and would not be likely to give a check on a bank where he had no account. A warrant was at once procured from Justice Bouton and placed in the hands of Sheriff Borthwick, who sent telegrams describing Rice in all directions in the hope that he might be apprehended, but it looks now as if the rascal has escaped the clutches of the law. Mr. Dowd will of course have to reimburse the bank for the $582 paid to Rice and will also lose his claim of $67, which he holds against Rice.
   Mr. Dowd claims that he endorsed the check very reluctantly and only after repeated assurances from Mr. Boynton that the check was all right, the signature genuine and that Mr. Lewis was easily good for the amount in question.

A Thrilling Accident.
   Last Thursday afternoon, at about three o'clock, Samuel Rounds, a farmer of about 40 years of age, a resident of the town of Oxford, came to Sidney and hired a horse and wagon at the Mitchell House, James T. Beal, proprietor. He was to have use of the rig three days.
   Mr. Rounds started out on his journey to Afton. When he reached the D. & H. railroad crossing, about two miles west of this village, near A. A. Clark's farm, conductor Benedict's train ran into his rig, killing the horse almost instantly and pulverizing the wagon into kindling wood. Mr. Rounds was lifted from his seat and dashed on the pilot of the engine and carried off as far as the bridge, west of the crossing. He escaped in a most miraculous manner and was hardly scratched.
   Mr. Rounds was on his way to get married and like a model bridegroom he returned to Sidney and made a fresh start to reach the object of his affections. It is safe to say that even John L. Sullivan could not stand many such Rounds with a locomotive.
   The D. & H. Co. will undoubtedly pay Mr. Beal for his horse and wagon. The horse was one of his very best and fastest, and was justly held in high value by him. The crossing is a very dangerous one. The rails are on a sharp curve, with a steep pitch in the road to reach the crossing.—Sidney Record.

Silver Medal Contest.
   A goodly number gathered on Monday evening in Good Templars' hall, to listen to the speaking of the children for a Demorest silver medal. The class consisted of nine boys and girls, from 8 to 14 years of age, and all did fairly well. After due deliberation, the judges decided that the prize should be awarded to Leah Danforth.
The following are the subjects and names of contestants:
1. "Moral Suasion or Prohibition," Lela Roberts.
2. "License an Outrage," George V. Hinds.
3. "Principles of Temperance," Winona Brandenstein.
4. "Plea for Prohibition," Freddie Gleason.
5. "Advertisement of an Honest Rumseller," Ward Hill.
6. "The Rumseller's Legal Rights," Sarah Palmer.
7. "Reply of me, Women," Mary Palmer.
8. "Voice from the Poor House," Leah Danforth.
9. "The Final Result," Jamie Hamill.
   At the close John M. Hinds rendered the piece on which he secured the gold medal.

   CHENANGO.— A large safe, weighing 4,500 pounds, has been placed in the post office in Norwich. It is understood that the free delivery of the mails in Norwich village will go into effect March 1st.
   James Wheat, of Plymouth, on Saturday sold 1,000 pounds of hops to E. Daniels, of Sherburne, for 15 cents per pound.
   Clarence Tyler, of Bainbridge, has on hand at the present time 700 chickens, in age ranging from two to five weeks, all hatched by incubators. Mr. Tyler has two incubators working, and all things fixed for raising chickens.
   L. Hayward, of Earlville, a short time since bought 213 packages of butter from the North Otselic creamery, at 15 cents a pound. The published market report of Saturday last mentions sales of the Otselic creamery, 350 firkins, there at 14 1/2 cents.
   MADISON.—Canastota's residences are being numbered.
   Cazenovia ice sold at $12 per ton last week to Syracuse purchasers. It's usually $1 or $2. [mild winter—CC editor.]
   New York parties have been at Canastota recently, buying onions at from $4.50 to $5.50 per bushel.
   Last week eighteen supreme writs were served on parties who were fishing with trap nets in Oneida Lake.
   The cigar manufactories of Madison, Oneida and Herkimer counties, sold 14,750,000 cigars during 1889.
   TOMPKINS.—The second edition of the Cornell register contains the names of 1,323 students.
   S. W. Taylor, of Ludlowville, jumped from a moving train at Chenango Forks Saturday evening. Among other injuries sustained, one arm was fractured in two places.
   W. L. Wattis, of the class of '92, Cornell, is reported to have won the thousand dollars offered by the Youth's Companion for the best story. There were 6,000 competitors.
   Prof. C. H. Bailey, Horticulturist in the Cornell Experiment station, is making an experiment never before tried in America. The experiment is to determine the effect of electric light on the growth of vegetation. To this end a forcing house 20x60 feet has been erected. This building is divided into equal parts, both of which are open to sunlight. During the night time one part is to be lighted by electric light, the other part is to be left in the darkness. A number of tables of earth ran lengthwise of the house and are planted to various vegetables, and an anxonometer will be used to determine the exact growth of the plants each hour.






No comments:

Post a Comment