Friday, June 5, 2015


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, April 4, 1890.

Pomeroy Street School Exhibition.
   The scholars in Miss Bennett and Miss William's departments gave a public exhibition on Friday afternoon of last week, and the following is the programme as rendered:
   1. Chant 2.
   2. Song—Jubilate Deo.
   3. Rec—"The Purest Pearl."
   4. Composition—The Women of the Revolution, Libbie Finch.
   5. Violin Solo, Lois Bostwick.
   6. Rec—Our Public Schools, Florence Jennison.
   7. Rec—Summer, Willie Welch.
   8. Solo—Echo, Mamie Sheridan.
   9. Reading,  Nellie Mulligan.
   10. Rec—"The Burning Prairie."
   11. Dialogue—"Woman's Rights," Mamie Sheridan, Hattie Alexander, Ethel Potter, Harry Todd, Willie Welch, Leah Danforth, Maurice O'Connell, Anna Burns.
   12. Violin Solo, Vernon Hoxie, Nellie Mulligan.
   13. Rec—"Some Old Friends," Addie Hungerford.
   14. Rec—"Galley Slave," Hattie Alexander.
   15. Trio, Lois Bostwick, Bertha Deusenbury, Addie Hungerford.
   16. Discussion—Was the defeat at Bull Run better for the North than victory? Belle Le Du and Jessie Jennison.
   17. Duet—Gypsy Countess, Bertha Deusenbury and Everett Malick.
   18. Rec—"Songs in Camp," Lizzie Salisbury.
   19. Flag Drill, Addie Hungerford, Carrie Taft, Leah Danforth, Libbie Finch, Kate Mulligan, Nellie Metcalf, Hattie Alexander, Emma Merrill, Nora McMahon, Lizzie Salisbury, Edith White, Belle La Du.
   20. Rec—"The Soldier's Pardon," Leah Danforth.
   21. Violin Solo, Nellie Mulligan.
   The scholars all acquitted themselves in a highly commendable manner, and their training and deportment indicated that their teachers had performed their work well.
   In the evening the scholars gave a reception to their teachers at the school building, when elegant refreshments were served to all. The school board were present with their ladies, and a pleasant time was had by all.

   Burgess & Birgham are offering spring overcoats for a trifle. Don't go without one this season.
   Court stenographer T. C. Rose is now reporting his 34th murder case in his twenty years experience.
   Tickets for the excursion to Washington, on the 8th of April, are on sale at the E. C. & N. station in this place.
   B. B Morehouse has been appointed superintendent of Cortland Rural cemetery in place of Norman Chamberlain, deceased.
   Mr. J. L. Gillett's cows have dropped six calves. Five of them weighed, when one week old and before feeding, 541 lbs., and one just dropped weighs 99 lbs.
   The Court of Appeals has recently decided that real estate purchased by a veteran with his pension money cannot be levied upon and sold under execution.
   The jurors in the Griswold case attended divine service in the Congregational church last Sunday morning, and in the evening they attended services in the Methodist church.
   The Cortland Water Works Company's office will be located in the store vacated by Messrs. Morgan & Gale after this week, and Mr. Thos. F. Grady will take possession of the store vacated by the Water Works Company.
   Easter services at All Souls' church, next Sunday in the morning, Easter flowers, music, sermon, and communion service. In the evening, special music, and sermon on "The Resurrection." Seats free. A cordial invitation is extended to all.
   A store is being fitted up in the old Wickwire building adjoining the Democrat building on the east, to be occupied by Messrs. Morgan & Gale as a harness emporium. They expect to take possession of their new quarters the last of the week.
   Counterfeit ten cent pieces are being circulated in this State in large numbers. It is made of German silver, well struck, heavily coated with silver. It is difficult to detect it with the use of acid. The milled edge is not so deep as in the genuine coin.
   A swindler is at work in adjoining counties. He pretends to be a jeweler, and tells where his shop is located. He secures your watch and tells you he will repair it, but he always forgets to return the timepiece. You can always keep clear of such cheats by patronizing your nearest home dealer.
   Last Monday, evidence was taken before a jury in the grand jury room at the Court House, in the case of Manila Moore, against her husband, John Moore, of Marathon, brought to recover damages for slander. Some time since Mrs. Moore separated from her husband and went to work in the corset factory in McGrawville. Moore caused a notice to be published in the Sentinel of that place, stating that he had secured a divorce from his wife. The jury gave her a verdict for $2,000.

Jerome Baker of Homer found Dead with His Throat Cut from Ear to Ear Last Sunday Verdict of the Coroner's Jury.
   Last Sunday afternoon at about five o'clock evidence that either a murder or suicide had been committed in the village of Homer was discovered by Mr. W. O. Bunn. Investigation disclosed the following events in connection therewith.
   About ten years ago Mr. Jerome Baker and wife with their son Charles came to that village and for some time occupied the third section west from the front of Mechanic's Hall and resided there until that noble structure was destroyed by fire early in '89. Mr. Baker was formerly a well to do gentleman. A few years ago he lost most of his property in Western lands. His wife died about two years ago. His son Charles has been more on less under the influence of liquors and opiates for some years. He lived in the ruins of the old building for quite a period after others had vacated their homes and early last summer removed with his son to rooms in the ground floor of the Hough house, next north of Justice of the Peace A. W. Kingsbury, on River street, where they have lived, doing chores for Mr. J. P. Bunn until last Sunday.
   The house in question is a fine appearing two story, long, steep roofed one built into a natural bank of earth—the north end of basement being a cellar and the south designed for dwelling purposes, consisting of a kitchen 11x14 and bed room at south end 9x14 with small room 9x12 to the rear or east of bed room.
   Failing to put in an appearance and attend to the regular duties on Sunday before 4 P. M., the family of Mr. Bunn became concerned and the son, Mr. W. O. Bunn went over to Mr. Baker's about 11 rods to the south. All was quiet and the messenger opened the door only to see the body of Jerome Baker lying in a pool of clotted blood near the stove at the east end of the kitchen, and the son Charles on the bed.
   Officer William A. Shirley and Justice Kingsbury were speedily notified as was the coroner and an inquest held on Monday for taking testimony of the son, who has been held in jail since Monday, and an adjourned meeting on Tuesday evening. The jury was composed of R. C. Shattuck, C. H. Danes, A. W. Hobart, C. A. Ford, William Foster, W. C. Collins, E. J. Bockes, Aldana Stebbins and William Wilson.
   William A. Shirley stated that upon his first visit to the house on Sunday he woke the son but could get no statement from him except that the father got up and built a fire and that when he got up about 9 o'clock he found his father lying on the floor in a pool of blood and that he had tried to cut his own throat but it hurt and he quit, (there were two shallow cuts on the side of Charles' neck) covered up his father and went to bed. On Monday he found written on an envelope these words: "Poor Mr. and Mrs. Bunn. It is hard to leave them." Also found several morphine bottles and a quart whiskey bottle with some liquor in it.
   Mr. A. W. Kingsbury said he rented the premises to the Bakers but had only received about $3 in rent. About two weeks ago [he] told Mr. Baker he must have the house by April 1st, to which Baker replied "Oh, this is cruel."
   F. Eugene Williams, undertaker, related a conversation with Baker while riding from Cortland one day in November, Baker asking for a loan; was despondent and it was suggested that he apply to the town; he replied, "My God! I'd rather do the other thing." Witness thought he referred to suicide.
   Morris Murphy said that on Saturday last Mr. Baker said tell Mr. Kingsbury he can have the house on Monday. He seemed to be very despondent.
   Dr. F. H. Green who made the post mortem examination said that death resulted from hemorrhage from the cut in the throat; the cut was 7 inches long and both carotid arteries were completely severed; no other marks of violence were discovered on the body; the windpipe was also severed. The cut had the appearance of having been made from left to right, and slightly drawn up; blood appeared to have all run out through the cut.
   William Foster, druggist, testified to Baker frequently purchasing morphine and other preparations of opium at the store of Atwater & Foster; his son bought one ounce of black snuff at about 6 P. M. Saturday evening. Other evidence was to position of body when found and general despondency of the deceased for some time past.
   The jury took the case about midnight and shortly found that, "Baker came to his death by his own hand by cutting his throat with a razor."
   The razors were the old style Wade & Butcher, straight blade, one large and one a smaller size; the large one was the destructive one. The body was buried in McLean.

   CHENANGO.— A resident of Greene, says the Binghamton Republican, called upon Chief Meade, Saturday, and invoked his aid in finding his young daughter, who had come to this city some time ago and who, it is feared, was not conducting herself as a young woman should. The Chief succeeded in discovering her whereabouts. She yielded to her father's importunities and consented to return home with him.
   The Auburn Branch case was again before Referee Halliday, at Judge Gladding's office, in Norwich, Thursday, and the evidence substantially closed. The evidence on the part of the defense went to show that the road was abandoned because it did not pay running expenses. General Manager Childs was the principal witness. The case will be finally summed up and briefs submitted before the Referee at Ithaca, May 31st. John B. Kerr, of New York, P. B. McLennan, of Syracuse, and H. D. Newton, of Norwich, appeared for the railroad company, and Judge A. F. Gladding and D. B. Cushman for the people.
   MADISON.— Levi Dana was fined $11 for illegal voting at the Canastota charter election last week.
   Canastota farmers are organizing a joint stock company to deal in farm produce and meat.
   The Hamilton factory turns out 25,000 square feet of wire cloth, ready for shipment, each day.
   The valuable Norman stallion, "Quimper," owned by Linus Fuller, of Perryville, died from poisoning the other day, some wretch having given him Paris green.
   Chittenango is in for a boom. Mr. Roberts, a New York millionaire, has purchased the Sulphur Springs property, and the Springs, village and station, are to be connected by an electric railway. Daniel Gates, the village billionaire, offers to take one third the stock. $10,000 will be immediately expended in repairs on the Spring House. 180 New York people are to spend the season there.
   TOMPKINS.—Groton is to have a new lock up.
   A workman fell 45 feet from a University building in Ithaca the other day, landing on a pile of brick, without serious injury to himself or the brick. He is the champion tumbler of the year.
   The new boiler house of the Groton Bridge and Manufacturing Co. will soon be completed. The two new boilers have arrived. A brick smoke stack is being built. It will be sixty feet in height.
   A young girl belonging in Groton ran away from home some weeks ago and was found in the lower part of Ithaca city by officer Marsh. She was reduced to rags and had only an old pair of rubbers on her feet. The parents of the girl were notified of her whereabouts.
   A woman died in Ithaca, last week, whose weight was about 350 pounds, and it was necessary to convey the casket containing the body to the cemetery in an undertaking wagon, it being too large to enter a hearse. The body was the largest the undertaker ever took charge of.
   Dryden can claim a record over any village around of its size for the absence of serious fires. There has not been a fire of any importance within the limits of the village since the spring of 1866, twenty-four years ago, when the old Blodgett hotel burned. The fire apparatus has been brought out by alarms of fire since then, but at no time has water been thrown by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment