Wednesday, May 11, 2016


Cortland High School. Photo from Grip's Historical Souvenir of Cortland.
The Cortland Democrat, Friday, March 25, 1892.

Location of the High School.
   There was a full attendance of members of the Board of Education at the meeting held last Monday evening for the purpose of selecting a site for the new High School building. The board were unanimous in the selection of the old Wagon Company lot on Railroad street [Central Avenue] owned by Hon. L. J. Fitzgerald. The lot has a frontage on the street of 86 feet and runs back 313 feet. The lot also extends east in rear of Mr. A. F. Tanner’s lot 109 feet and 66 feet in width. The board also purchased a strip from the west side of Mr. Tanner’s lot, 30 feet in width which gives the school lot proper a frontage of 116 feet. They pay $7,500 to Mr. Fitzgerald and $2,000 to Mr. Tanner making $9,500 in all. The trustees expect to reduce this amount by selling the cobble school lot on Church street for $2,000, and a friend has contributed $500, leaving the cost of the site $7,000. This amount will be reduced by a few hundred from the sale of the buildings on the Fitzgerald lot.
   The site is undoubtedly the very best that was offered and the price paid for the property is not excessive. It is centrally located and the only objection that we have heard raised to it is that it is in rear of the Baptist church sheds. This difficulty, we understand, is to be obviated by the removal of the sheds and the grading of the grounds in the rear of the church and about the school building. The front of the school building will be 100 feet from the street and there will be ample room in the rear and to the east for play grounds.

Perry's Latest Attempt at Escape.
   Oliver Curtis Perry is reported to have made another effort to escape from the Lyons jail on Sunday afternoon at the close of the devotional exercises. He had been liberated from confinement and joined heartily in the services, at the close of which the ministers and guards retired to the Sheriff’s office, leaving the prisoners without a guard. Perry lifted up the grating which covers a fifteen-inch pipe connecting with the thirty-inch trunk sewer which runs from the jail, and he was in the act of crawling down the pipe when the guards returned. The sewer connects with Hotchkiss pond and had Perry got into it his escape would have been easy. A new grating was put over the pipe and he was closely confined in his cell again.

Death of Mrs. E. L. Rodgers.
   Mrs. E. L. Rogers died on Friday, March 18th, at 6:30 o'clock P. M., at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. Robison, in this place. For several years Mrs. Rogers had been afflicted with a lung trouble, which in its first stage was of a mild form. It came upon her while she was filling the position as teacher in the Owego street school, and gradually developed into a disease of a very serious nature. Mrs. Rogers gave up her duties as teacher about three years ago, and sought a long needed rest, which at the time afforded temporary relief, but her faithfulness as a teacher and the untiring efforts she put into her work, had made inroads in her once strong constitution, by over work.
   She visited the plueries [sic] in the south, spending several months there, but gained little relief. In the latter part of last summer she went to the seashore, thinking that the salt water might benefit her health, but the dread disease had become firmly seated, and it seemed that anything beyond temporary relief was impossible.
   She returned to Cortland last October to remain where she could receive the care of a loving husband and mother. Her disease swiftly developed into consumption, and resulted in death as stated above. During her entire illness Mrs. Rogers had great courage and believed she would obtain relief, and when visited by her many friends in this place, exhibited strength and will power that was remarkable. Up to a short time before her death she had almost complete control of her faculties, enjoining upon those that were around to cheer up, that all was for the best. She had always been identified as a true christian, and was a member of Grace Episcopal church in this place.
   About two years ago she was united in marriage with Mr. E. L. Rogers, who died in January last, leaving her without the comforting words of a loving husband in the last hours of life.
   The funeral was held from the residence of her parents, on Monday last. Rev. W. B. Clark, pastor of Grace Church officiating. Deceased was 29 years of age.

A Big Combination.
   Last Tuesday, Messrs. Beard & Peck, the Main street furniture dealers, purchased the entire stock of furniture of Messrs. Edgcomb & Ballard, in the Grand Central block [Central Avenue], and have taken possession. This unites two of the largest establishments in that line in Cortland, and closes out one of the oldest firms in town. The late John McFarlan started in business here in 1834, and was successful. In 1855 he admitted his half-brother, Col. J. C. Carmichael, to a partnership with him which continued until 1866, when he sold his entire interest to his partner and retired. In 1882 Col. Carmichael sold an interest in the business to Mr. Albert W. Edgcomb, and in 1883 he sold his remaining interest to Mr. S. M. Ballard, since which time the business has been conducted by Messrs. Ballard & Edgcomb. The sale includes the undertaking business heretofore carried on by the latter firm. Messrs. Beard & Peck expect to close out the stock purchased within the next thirty days at the old location.
   Mr. Edgcomb has not yet decided what business he will engage in.

No comments:

Post a Comment