Tuesday, June 7, 2016


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, June 10, 1892.

The Black Villain Captured and Lynched Before a Thousand Spectators.
   PORT JERVIS, N. Y., June 2.—A crime, heinous and revolting in its nature, and characterized by circumstances of extreme brutality, was perpetrated to-day, upon the person of Miss Lena McMahon, the daughter of John McMahon, by a negro known as Job Jackson [Robert Lewis--CC editor]. It was witnessed by a number of young girls, who stood about fifty feet away, and also by two young negroes who would have interfered in the girl's behalf, but were kept at bay by a revolver. Jackson, after his fearful crime, fled, leaving his victim in an insensible condition and with injuries which will probably prove fatal. A posse of men went in pursuit of Jackson and tracked him for several miles along the Huguenot highway as far as the race course, where all traces of him were lost.
   Jackson was captured at Cuddebackville, a small village on the Delaware and Hudson canal, nine miles from Port Jervis, by Sol Carley, Duke Horton and one Coleman. The fugitive had boarded a canal boat at Huguenot and had reached Cuddebackville, when he was overtaken. On the way back to the village, Jackson confessed the crime, and implicated one William Foley, a white man, whom he claimed was in the conspiracy to ruin Miss McMahon.
   The news of the capture soon spread through the town and a large crowd collected about the village lockup, awaiting the arrival of the prisoner. The word was quickly whispered through the crowd, "Lynch him! Lynch him!"  
   The suggestion spread like wildfire and it was evident that the fate of the prisoner was sealed. On his arrival at the lockup he was taken in hand by the mob. The village police endeavored to protect him, but their efforts were unavailing. It was at first proposed to have Jackson identified by his victim before hanging him, in order to make sure that he was the guilty party.
   With this object in view the mob tied a rope around his body and dragged him up Hammond and down Main streets as far as the residence of E. G. Fowler. By this time the passion of the mob had reached a state of uncontrollable excitement and it was decided to dispatch him without further ceremony.
   A noose was adjusted about his neck and he was strung up to a neighboring tree in the presence of a howling mob of over a thousand people. For over an hour the body hung suspended from the tree, where it was viewed by crowds of people.
   Jackson was about twenty-two years old, and had resided in Port Jervis about one year. His parents live in Patterson, N. J.



Forty Hours Devotion.
   The "Forty Hours' Devotion" at St. Mary's church commenced Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock and closed Thursday morning at 9 o'clock with Solemn High Mass. Solemn Vespers Tuesday evening at half past 7 o'clock with Rev. P. F. McEvoy as celebrant, the sermon was preached by Rev. D. Doody, and on Wednesday evening with Rev N. J. Quinn as celebrant, Rev. W. F. Dwyer as deacon, and Rev. J. McDonald as sub-deacon.
   The sermon was preached by the Very Rev. J. J. Kennedy, V. G. Among the visiting priests are Rev. Fathers McGuire of Marathon, M. Joyce of Truxton, D. Doody of Tully, J. J. Renehan of Marcellus, P. F. McEvoy of Syracuse, P. H.  Beecham of Baldwinsville, M. J. Hughes of Oswego, J. V. Simmons of Pompey Hill, John F. McLoghlin of Rome and James Kelly of Oneida, N. J. Quinn and W. F. Dwyer of Binghamton.

No comments:

Post a Comment