Sunday, June 26, 2016


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, August 5, 1892.

Death of Henry St. Peter.
   Last Friday night Mr. Henry St. Peter, the well known Barber of this place, closed his shop at about 11 o'clock and went to his home on Argyle Place, apparently in his usual good health. Shortly afterwards he retired for the night. At about 12:20 Mrs. St. Peter was aroused from sleep by her husband's heavy breathing. She got up and lighted a lamp, when she discovered that he was breathing with great difficulty.
   She at once dispatched a neighbor for a physician, but Mr. St. Peter died at 12:30 and before the doctor arrived. The cause of his death was attributed to heart failure. Two or three years ago he experienced a similar attack which came near resulting fatally. Mr. St. Peter was never so happy as when talking politics and he always took an active part in every campaign He leaves a wife and one daughter. The funeral was held from the house Monday at 3 P. M., Rev. Dr. Cordo officiating.

   Forepaugh's great show August 16.
   Frank Wiser of Cortland caught a five pound bass at Little York last Friday.
   Alvin Gay will give a Harvest party at the Lake House in Little York, Friday evening, August 12.
   The Cortland County Undertakers Association held a meeting at the Cortland House Wednesday morning.
   A small quantity of charcoal in a dish in the ice chest or refrigerator will work wonders in absorbing odors from the other contents and keeping the food sweet.
   One hundred and thirty-six tickets were sold at the E. C. & N. station in this place last Saturday morning to people who attended the hop growers' picnic at Sylvan Beach.
   For neuralgia make a small muslin bag and fill it with salt, heat it hot and place it against the aching spot; it will retain the heat for a long time and greatly relieve.
   The 17th annual picnic of the Hammond family will be held at Cortland Floral Trout Park, Friday, August 19, 1892. All the family and their friends are cordially invited.
   The N. Y. State Carriage builders association held their monthly meeting at the Messenger House, Tuesday morning. Nearly all the large concerns in the state were represented.
   Michael Maher, an old resident, died Tuesday morning of hemorrhage. The funeral was held from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. John Colgan, Jr., on Saturday morning.
   Mr. W. H. Clavell has purchased the interest of his partner, Mr. Fred Ritter, in the Grand Central barber shop and will hereafter conduct the business alone. Mr. Ritter has not yet decided what he will do in future.
   The bicycle race to Little York and returning last Monday evening was won by Will Jacquett in 54:15. He had only one competitor, Mr. E. S. Dalton and the race was a close one. The best time made thus far stands good 53:10.
   Arrangements have been made for sending a through mail pouch to DeRuyter on the 6:24 P. M. train, mail closing at 6:00 o'clock. A return pouch from that place will be received here on the 9:00 A. M. train. This makes two mails each day between this place and DeRuyter.
   Mrs. Nancy Sherman, mother of James A. Sherman, of Homer, fell down stairs last Sunday and broke one of the bones in her hip. She is over ninety years of age and it is thought that she will never be able to walk again, as owing to her extreme age the bones would not grow together.
   Our exchanges are warning their readers to look out for a gang of men traveling about the country making contracts for painting roofs. If they offer to paint yours for five dollars, or any price, don't fail to ask them how much the paint will cost before you close the contract. They get big prices for paint.
   The small boy who does not own a bicycle is having his revenge on those who do have one. He uses a pin to puncture the rubber of the pneumatic tire and of course the air escapes and the bicycle is worthless until a new tire is purchased and put in place. Several complaints have been made within a few days past and if the festive urchins engaged in this business are detected, it won't prove to be such a funny thing.
   The well known contractor Mr. D. G. Corwin will have charge of the Court House repairs and work has been commenced. The judge's bench is to be moved back to the south end of the room, the stairs in front will be taken out and the entrance to the court room will be at the rear as formerly. Rows of elevated seats will be built across the north end and a row will be put in on each side. The lower hall will be converted into an office for the deputy sheriffs and the hallway above will be made into a room for the use of attorneys. The repairs must be finished by September 19, next.

   CHENANGO.— Ezra Davis, of Sherburne Quarters, aged 17, shot himself in the leg, Sunday, with a revolver that "wasn't loaded."
   The New Berlin Gazette says of the future of the proposed road up the valley, "The contract for the building of the Unadilla Valley railroad has been signed and accepted and the Construction Company promise to commence work about the first of August. As they intend to hustle the job we shall expect to see the cars running up the Valley this fall.
   MADISON.—Lebanon has a chapter of the Equitable Aid Union.
   The name of Sheds' Corners postoffice has been changed to Sheds.
   L. R. Nichols, of Poolvllle, marketed nearly a ton of currants this year.
   The Hamilton Sentinel calls the People's party "the corn fodder currency party."
   C. H. Stowell, of Lebanon, is shipping his peas to New York. He picks a wagon load each day.
   Potter Palmer and Phillip D. Armour, two of the leading capitalists of Chicago, went west from Madison county.
   Earlville's new opera house is to have elegantly decorated steel panel ceilings, and will be the finest building of the kind in the Chenango valley.
   Large shipments of peas are daily made from Randallsville to New York, the growers realizing from 40c. to 80c. per bushel. They pay 15c. for picking.
   A widow lady, aged sixty years, who resided alone some two miles from Canastota, was outraged Sunday morning by Elmer Johnson, who was subsequently arrested.
   A monstrous hoot owl got into James Metcalf's hen house in Oneida, the other night, and killed over forty chickens. In the melee the trap door fell down and Mr. Metcalf had the pleasure of killing the owl next morning.
   TOMPKINS.—Coal retails at Ithaca for $4.75.
   The summer school at Cornell closes Aug.18th. There are over a hundred in attendance.
   Ex-President Adams has been tendered the Presidency of the Wisconsin State University.
   The Ford family picnic will be held at the home of James M. Ford, near Lansingville, August 6th.
   The Givens family picnic will be held at the home of Mr. Edward Givens, Thursday, August 25th.
   The Ithaca Electric Railway Company has decided to extend the Tioga street line to the steamboat landing.
   East Hill, Ithaca, is to have an abundant water supply. A company has been formed, capitalized to the amount of $50,000. 
   The annual reunion and picnic of the Bower family will be held on Wednesday, August 17th, at the residence of Mr. George Bower, about two miles northwest of Ludlowville on the Ridge road.
   George Morgan, of McLean, broke his leg Saturday night while intoxicated. He wanted to help himself from the stock of goods behind the bar at the Dryden House. Landlord Lewis objected, and in the altercation that ensued his leg was broken.
   Last week Richard Cusick, in the employ of Geo. H. Fowler, at Taughannock, lost a fine pair of horses. He lost control of them and they ran away, leaping over a precipice and plunging to the bottom a hundred feet below. They were valued at $350.

   George N. Crouse, who was the candidate of the Hiscock-Hendricks wing of the Republican party in the new Onondaga district for Congress has withdrawn, thus leaving the field to James J. Belden. At the caucuses held in Syracuse last Tuesday, there was no opposition to Belden and all the delegates elected were for him and his nomination is practically assured, as Madison county will undoubtedly give him a united delegation. Possibly the Hiscock-Hendricks people may cut him at the polls. Whether they can defeat him or not remains to be seen.

   The case of Philip S. Rider against John A. Hoxsie, which was to have been tried in Syracuse this week, has been settled. This case grew out of the election muddle in Onondaga county last fall. Rider was the Democratic candidate for Sheriff and Hoxsie was the Republican candidate for the same office. If the transposed ballots cast in four of the towns of that county were given to Hoxsie, he had a small majority, but if they were thrown out as they were in the case of Peck and Ryan then Rider was elected. Hoxsie was sworn in and took possession of the office. Rider brought this action to determine the question and to secure possession of the office and if the case had been prosecuted to a final determination he would undoubtedly have succeeded as he had the decision of the Court of Appeals on his side. Had he succeeded Hoxsie would have had to turn over to him all the fees he received while hanging on. The office is worth about $25,000 clear for the full term of three years. Hoxsie had taken advice from the best legal talent in the state and was advised to settle. It is understood that Hoxsie paid about $8,500 in consideration of Rider's withdrawing all claims to the office. Charges of selling out are made against the Kirk-Mowry faction of the Democratic party in Syracuse, while that faction charges that Rider sold out the party by settling the matter for a money consideration. For ways that are dark and tricks that are vain, the Syracuse politician is indeed peculiar.

   Hugh O'Donnell, the leader of the Homestead strikers is in New York, where he is said to be in consultation with members of the Republican National Committee with a view of making a deal to settle the difficulty between the locked-out men and the Carnegie works, and also to turn the votes of members of the Amalgamated Association over to the Republicans in consideration of the committee's efforts in the settlement. O'Donnell has had conferences with Clarkson and is in John B. Millholland's company continually.

   The latest reports from Homestead say that the Carnegie mills are running with nearly a full force of non-union men and that the company expect to have a full complement of men at work within a few days. The old hands with very few exceptions, have refused to work on the terms offered by the company. O'Donnell and other leaders of the locked-out men have been arrested on the charge of inciting a riot and have given bail for their appearance at court. The strikers have caused warrants to be issued against Frick, Lovejoy and other managers of the works for murder, and they have given bail for their appearance. Mollick, who was arrested at Long Branch and taken to Homestead on the charge of being an accessory of Berkman's, has been discharged as there was not sufficient evidence to hold him. Some of the militia companies have been sent home and the strikers have become turbulent and surly, so much so that it was feared that there would be trouble on Wednesday, but prompt action on the part of the officials averted the threatened outbreak. Evidently the situation is not as pleasant as could be desired. It looks as if the men were beaten and that suffering in their ranks is sure to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment