Thursday, July 7, 2016


Example: Dryden Fire Department antique hose cart.
The Cortland Democrat, Friday, September 2, 1892.

A Lively Blaze.

   While our firemen were dreaming over the pleasures of the annual parade day they were called to duty by an alarm from box 314, corner of Elm and Pomeroy-st., at 8:05 A. M. Thursday.
   The Emerald boys were near the Hitchcock building when the Hitchcock hose cart, drawn by the mule, came out. A lively race, which ended in a draw ensued to the scene of the fire, a double house on the corner of Elm and Excelsior-sts. The run was a long one and the fire had attained considerable headway. It seemed to have started in the hall near the center of the house, on the first floor, and burned to the tin roof, spreading in all directions so that flames issued from all the windows. The Orris hose was not far behind the others and soon five streams of water were pouring into the building.
   A second alarm was turned in to try and start the Hook and Ladder truck for ladders were sadly needed to reach the upper windows. At a third alarm a man was sent to arouse "Johnny" Garrity with whom chief Dowd has made arrangements for a term to draw the truck to fires.
   Owing to the large number of small rooms, and the headway, which it had attained, it was very hard to play on the fire at all points, and no sooner was it dark in one place than light sprung up in another.
   An hour and a half of steady hard work by our ever ready firemen was necessary before the chief ordered the water shut off.
   Only the shell was left standing.
   Mr. J. J. Updike had purchased the property of Mrs. Theodore Stevenson, and papers were entered in the County Clerk's office on Wednesday evening, and he had a dray engaged to move his goods into the house Thursday morning.
   There was an insurance of $3,000 on the house and as soon as the Insurance Company gets matters adjusted Mr. Updike intends to rebuild.
   The Lincoln club have occupied the house for several months, and a Mr. Hayes, who has but one arm, was sleeping in the second story. He escaped in his nightclothes by jumping from the roof of the piazza.
   It is not known how the fire originated.

Injured by a Runaway.
(From the Homer Republican, Sept. 1.)
   About half-past five o'clock Monday evening, as Rev. B. F. Rogers and wife of Scott were driving through this village, their horse took fright at three children who were running across the road with flags. The horse whirled around and ran and threw Mr. and Mrs. Rogers out in front of the Ormsby house. The wagon was turned upside down, the horse broke loose from the wagon and ran through the yard of C. H. Danes and came out in the driveway of Mrs. Henrietta Hawley, where it was caught. 
   Mr. and Mrs. Rogers were taken into the house of LeRoy Taft. Drs. Robinson and Potter were called and found Mr. Rogers badly bruised about the face and two ribs fractured. Mrs. Rogers' face was severely bruised and she also received injuries to her back and knee. They remained at Mr. Taft's until yesterday afternoon when they returned to Scott.
   Mr. Rogers is still suffering from the injuries, but it is hoped they will not prove of a serious nature.

   CHENANGO.—Chenango county is to have a type-setting contest at Norwich about October 1.
   The Maydole factory at Norwich employes [sic] 130 men and turns out 100 dozen hammers per day.
   A short but terrific storm struck the north-east quarter of the town of Sherburne, Friday. It caused a rise of several feet in Mad Brook, which for the third time took out a part of Contractor Vaughn's reservoir dam.
   A shipment of hammers was made last week by the Maydole Hammer company at Norwich, Chenango county, to China, the first consignment the company ever made to the flowery Kingdom, although a market is found for its product in most parts of the world.
   MADISON.—The Oneida Battery offered their services to Governor Flower during the [switchmen's] strike.
   The Hobbs house in Hamilton village was damaged some $800 by fire Saturday.
   Luke Coon is under arrest for receiving a pension certificate on a debt at Oneida Castle.
   A recent storm is estimated to have damaged Mott Stebbins' hop yard in Poolville about $1,000.
   John J. Brant, of Syracuse, while fishing near Sylvan Beach last week, caught a pickerel measuring 41 inches in length and weighing 12 1/4 pounds.
   Game Inspector Harrison Hawn, of the10th district, comprising part of Oneida, Oswego, Cortland, Madison and Onondaga counties, traveled 410 miles and arrested 10 men engaged in drawing seines [fishing nets], during the month of July.
   Last Friday's storm flooded the streets at DeRuyter, moved some buildings, tore up two or three hundred feet of sidewalk, filled cellars and did a large amount of damage. The foundry was supposed to be injured to the amount of $1,000.
   Tompkins.—Annual inspection of the fire department, Sept. 7.
   A number of people were robbed in Ithaca on the day of Forepaugh's circus. One person was relieved of $75.
   About five years ago, Mr. Oliver Cady, one of the most highly respected citizens of Dryden, mysteriously disappeared, and as later developments showed, he had made his way to Canada. Investigation proved he was indebted for various amounts to different parties, and that certain property held in trust had been used for other than legitimate purposes. Subsequent events have proved that while the old gentleman was in a measure to blame, he was made the victim of one who was not only designing but unscrupulous, and who exercised a strong will power over the aged gentleman, sufficient to keep him an exile and wanderer in a strange land for five long and weary years. On Monday, Aug. 15th, there alighted from a passenger train at Freeville, a gentleman, aged and trembling. It was Oliver Cady, returned from his long exile.


   We are called upon to chronicle the death of one of our oldest and most respected citizens, Bernard O'Neil. He came to our town thirty-two years ago, having disposed of his home in New York city. He built a residence in our town and also a carriage factory. His career in business was cut short by a most disastrous fire which visited his property in 1862, sweeping everything away. He rallied after this and started anew. Since that time until the last few years he has labored for his family with untiring energy until old age rendered him unfit for business, yet he never ceased to be interested in the welfare of our little town. He, in his early days of business in Truxton, employed men who are now among the leaders of that business, carriage manufacturing. He was respected by all who knew him and we shall miss his venerable face among us. He leaves a wife advanced in years, three sons and one daughter, to whom we offer our condolence.
   J. C. C.

Bernard O'Neil, St. Patrick's Cemetery, Truxton, N. Y.


   About 20 persons left here last week for the hop yards at Earlville.
   The Keyes Sisters concert in the Opera House, next Tuesday evening.
   The Cortland City Band will accompany the Knight Templars in Oswego, Sept. 13.
   Mr. W. B. Landreth, of Schenectady, is making a preliminary survey of the streets of this village, for a system of sewerage.
   The members of the 45th Separate Company are practicing on their range to qualify themselves as marksmen and sharpshooters.
   The Cortland Wheel Club held their annual corn roast on E. C. Rindge's farm, near the County House, yesterday. They report a bang up time.
   A basket picnic will be held at the Trout Park on the evening of Sept. 5th, Labor day, under the auspices of Cortland Wagon Co. Mutual Aid. A large attendance is expected.
   The Cortland Harness and Carriage Goods Company have commenced the erection of an addition to their blacksmith shop. It will be of brick, 75x55 feet, and one story high.
   On and after Monday next the Cortland and Homer Horse Car Company will run cars over their road every half hour, between the hours of 8 and 11 o'clock A. M. and 1 and 6 o'clock P. M. This will prove a great convenience to the public.
   The Cortland City Band gave an excellent open-air concert on the corner of Main street and Clinton-ave., Tuesday evening. A large crowd of people listened to their fine music. After the concert the band serenaded Messrs. C. F. Brown, F. D. Smith and F. Cy Straat.
   A new horse disease has begun raging in various parts of the State for some time. It swells the lower portion of the legs to a large size, keeps the horse from eating anything, and in some cases as the disease advances they become crazed and can scarcely be subdued. As yet no remedy is offered, nor can any cause be advanced for it.
   Last Tuesday morning, while Vernon Higgins was driving a mustang along Port Watson-st., the animal stopped and refused to go until the lash was applied, when he started off in a hurry, throwing the boy and Mrs. Jane Wood, who was with him, out of the wagon. He ran into Foundry Lane, demolished the wagon, and had a hole punched in his body by a piece of a broken thill. The animal was taken to Dr. Baker's infirmary across the street, and the wound was dressed, but inflammation set in and he died the next day. Neither the lad nor the lady received any hurt from the fall.
   The Standard announces that "Owing to the great amount of extra work which has been crowding us in the consolidation of the two daily papers," the proprietors decided to postpone the annual picnic given to its correspondents until another year. That grand consolidation of pigmies seems to furnish an excuse for every sin of omission or commission in our neighbor's establishment. It is almost a wonder that the earth didn't tremble when the two dailies met, and were melted into one decidedly harmless and inoffensive publication.

To Detect Water Wasters.
   Telephones are to be used for ferreting out the habitual water waster. The waterphone, said to be the invention of Prof. Bell, the patentee of the telephone, is the basis of a new million dollar corporation.
   It is a mechanical telephone having a diaphragm about three inches in diameter in a large bell-shaped transmitter. Contact is made with a steel pin which has a thread on its external end to which may be attached a sounding rod.
   In operation the inspector of the waterworks places the end of the sounding rod on the pipe leading into the house, and can readily detect by the rush of the rush of the water if the precious fluid is being wasted.  The waterphone can also be used to locate leaks, taking the place of the steel wire which plumbers hold between their teeth and press against the pipe for the same purpose.

The Bicycle Sulky.
To the Editor:
   The attention of the country has recently been called to the breaking of the world’s record of trotting by means of a sulky provided with bicycle wheels.
   The ordinary sulky wheels, which are usually about 58 inches in diameter, are removed, and these bicycle wheels, which are about 28 inches, are attached directly under the sulky axle, each wheel has a fork, one end of which is drilled out and slips over the axle of the sulky; the other end of this fork is fastened to the axle on which the bicycle wheel revolves; another fork brace is fastened to the end of this bicycle wheel axle and to the shaft of the sulky.
   By this arrangement the wheels revolve directly under the sulky axles, the tires nearly touching them, so that the driver's seat remains very nearly the same height from the ground as it did when the ordinary wheels were used.
   The wheels used on the sulky drawn by Nancy Hanks in her world's record breaking trot at Chicago, August 17, were bicycle wheels having ball bearings and "horsepipe" inflated tires.
   The reason why this sulky enabled the horse to break the previous records, was because the ball bearings reduced the friction of the wheels and the rubber tires gave better traction.
   In view of the fact of there having been some misunderstanding in the matter, it is mere justice to say that the wheels used by this record breaker were provided with pneumatic tires and ball bearings made by the Pope Manufacturing Co., of Boston.
   Very Respectfully yours,
   POPE MF'G Co., ALBERT A. POPE, President.

No comments:

Post a Comment