Friday, July 1, 2016


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, August 19, 1892.


Making Some Headway—Conference of the Board of Arbitration.
   BUFFALO, Aug. 16.—The backbone of the strike appears to be broken. If no further disturbance occurs tonight or tomorrow the railroads will have won the fight. This has been brought about by the action of Brigadier General Peter C. Doyle, who is also general northern freight agent of the Lehigh, in calling the Seventy-fourth and Sixty-fifth regiments and calling all others under his command in readiness to move at a moment's notice. 
   It is, perhaps, lucky for the Philadelphia and Reading to have a militiaman of high rank in its employ. The military have stood guard since 3 o'clock this morning over the scene of dispute at the William Street yards and under the protection thus afforded the Erie and Lehigh have enabled to move their freight trains today for the first time since the blockade of Sunday morning. Progress was marked in the history of the strike when the Erie way freight and local passenger No. 95 came in on time today.
   From 150 to 250 imported "scab" switchmen are quartered in the Lehigh repair shops at Dingens street, under protection of the police, militia and special detectives of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad system. They were at work all day shifting cars and making up trains and five or six engines were kept busy.
   An engine with several "scab" switchmen aboard was standing at the Dingens street crossing. Private Ormsby and others of the militia and the officers mentioned were there. One of a group of three strikers pointed a revolver at the "scabs" and threatened to shoot. Detective Krantz and Policeman Patton each caught one of the three men. The one who had the pistol escaped.
   Passengers on the Erie, and even D. L. & W. trains passing the guarded district took a great interest in the situation. They crowded to the platforms and windows of the cars and many of them waved their hats and gave other evidence of approval at the presence of the militia. A special excursion train destined for Philadelphia, containing several hundred Knights Templar of the commanderies of Northeastern Pennsylvania and their ladies passed on the Lehigh at 3:45 P. M. The men waved their hats and said, "That's the stuff." The women appeared delighted at the sentry lines and hundreds of other uniformed men with the strongest kinds of "arguments" for the preservation of order in their hands. Many of the ladies waived their handkerchiefs so long as the train was in sight. There is no doubt they understood the meaning of it.
   William Purceh of Rochester, chairman of the State Board of Arbitration, G. Robertson of Troy and Florence F. Donovan of Brooklyn arrived in this city today for the purpose of investigating and arbitrating between the switchmen and the Reading yards and after investigating the situation had an interview with General Doyle and a talk with Grand Master Sweeny of the Switchmen's Mutual Aid Association. They then conferred with Wilson S. Bissel, the legal representative of the Reading system at Buffalo. A conference was held at 9:30 o'clock this evening at the Hotel Genesee between the State Board of Arbitration and Mr. Sweeney and some of the leading strikers. The conference lasted until almost midnight. At that hour a mysterious meeting of brakesmen and switchmen was called at Kaiser's Hall and rumors were rife that the strike would extend.

The 45th Separate Company Ordered to Buffalo—The Boys Make Good Time.
   At 9 o'clock Wednesday morning first lieutenant H. A. Dickinson in command of the 45th Separate company received the following dispatch:
BUFFALO, N. Y., Aug. 17.
   Commanding Officer 45th Separate Company, Cortland, N.Y. :
   Report with your command forthwith to me at Buffalo, armed and equipped according to law, one day's ration and ball cartridges. Apply to D. L. & W. railroad for transportation. Report leaving and probable time of arrival.
Ass't Adj. General.
   He immediately proceeded to the engine house and janitor Samson gave the fire-bell two taps as a signal to members of the company to assemble at the armory. The boys came jogging in lively and commenced to pack their belongings. A few had not heard the bell and the cannon was fired to bring them forth. Lieut. Dickinson made arrangements with the D. L. & W. for transportation to Binghamton on the 11:20 A. M. milk train, from which place a special carried them to Buffalo, the scene of the strike.
   There are sixty-eight men in the Company, and forty-five men, three officers, three sergeants, two musicians and Dave Jackson marched to the station in time to take the train. A large crowd of people assembled at the depot to see the boys off.
   The wives, sisters and sweethearts of some of them shed tears and seemed to think that they were parting with them forever but, the men kept stiff upper lips and bore themselves like good soldiers, They are a soldierly looking lot of men and we believe they will all do their full duty.


A Change in the Chair Factory.
   Last Wednesday Mr. Lewis S. Hayes of Harriman, Tenn., who was founder of the Cortland Chair and Cabinet company in this village, and James H. Turner sold their interest in the company to L. J. Fitzgerald and Frank Woodworth of Cortland, and Frank M. Newton of Homer. Mr. Hayes purchased the real estate and has given the new company a long lease of the same. The capital stock of the new company is $36,000. The stockholders will hold a meeting for the election of permanent officers tomorrow. Mr. Fred W. Kingsbury, treasurer of the old company, and who has successfully managed its affairs for some years past retains his interest and will undoubtedly continue to have the general management.
   The company are making some of the finest work to be found on the market and have always found a ready sale for their entire output. With the ample capital which the new arrangement will give them, they will be able to greatly extend their business, employing more help and turning out a much larger amount of goods. Mr. M. W Turner, who has been superintendent of the business for the past three years, and to whose taste and skillful management much of the success of the company is attributed in the past, will continue with them in the same capacity.

   The last day to pay village taxes at one per cent is Tuesday, Aug 28. After that date 5 per cent will be charged. See notice in another column.
   The list of entries for the races next week will be found on our eighth page.
   There were 171 tickets sold at this station for the picnic to Pleasant Beach, given last Saturday by the Cortland Wagon Co. Mutual Aid.
   The New York State Grange hold their annual meeting at the Thousand Islands Aug. 28. The E. C. & N. road will sell round trip tickets for $4.00, good from the 22d to the 24th.
   The Cortland Union Bee-Keepers' Association will hold its annual picnic at Floral Trout Park, Cortland, Wednesday, August 21. A special invitation is extended to all interested in the subject.
   Messrs. Beard & Peck are erecting mile posts for ten miles out of this village on sixteen of the roads leading to town. The distance is being measured by a cyclometer and each post tells the traveler just how far it is to Beard & Peck's store.
   The Cortland City band received a fine set of instruments last week. One clarionet, two basses, one baritone, two trombones, one cornet, three altos and a bass drum and cymbals. The horns are of silver, satin finish and were made by F. Besson & Co., of London.
   Sometime during Wednesday night burglars entered the grocery and meat market of Barghusen & Larabee, corner of Elm and Pomeroy-sts., in this village, through a rear window and carried off several hams, a quantity of sardines and some pork. There is as yet no clue to the perpetrators.
   A new horse disease has been raging in various parts of the State for some time. It swells the lower portion of the legs to a large size, keeps the horse from eating anything, and in some cases as the disease advances they become crazed and can scarcely be subdued. As yet no remedy is offered nor can any cause be advanced for it.
   Tuesday night while Forepaugh's men were loading their cars at the S. & B. station in this village one Sullivan, a brakeman on the road who resides in Homer, got into an altercation with one of the circus employes and was pretty badly used up. Sullivan is a big man and has quite a reputation as a bruiser. Sheriff Miller was telephoned and went to the station and arrested the circus man, but on learning the facts refused to hold him without a warrant as it appeared to him that Sullivan was the aggressor and simply got what he deserved. The circus man was released.
   One I. H. Culver of Ithaca was selling lead pencils from house to house in this place last week. He goes about on crutches and that fact alone makes it easy for him to dispose of his stock. He was arrested on Friday charged by Mrs. Nellie Day with beating her out of a night's lodging, three meals and seventy-five cents borrowed money. He settled by leaving a suit of clothes which he promised to redeem as soon as he reached his home in Ithaca. There is no doubt but that sympathy extended to this individual is misplaced. The dimes and quarters given him soon find their way into the till of the liquor seller.

The Peck Cash Register.
   An inspector of the secret service division of the Treasury department of United States visited the works of the Cash Register Co. in this city yesterday and in the presence of witnesses destroyed, by melting process, about 1,000 shields taken from registers of this company's make all over the country. The shield bears in relief the design of three 25 cent pieces and are forbidden by act of Congress which seeks to do away with use of such devices. The government officer's attention was called to the matter by the National Cash Register Company.—Syracuse Times, Aug. 15.
   This does not affect Peck's register in any way as these shields were only put on as an ornament.

   CHENANGO.—Norwich is entertaining a party of fresh air children from the great metropolis.
   William P. Watson of Smyrna escaped from the Binghamton asylum Tuesday.
   Gaiser, a train hand was caught stealing milk from A. D. Harrington's can near Oxford, Thursday morning, and was shot in the leg while attempting to escape.
   The management of the Riverside Agricultural Society of Greene have issued the premium list for their annual fair, to be held on their spacious grounds in Greene, September 13-16, 1892. They offer $5,000 in premiums, $1,000 for races. Unusual attractions are offered, prominent among which will occur, Wednesday and Thursday, at 1:30 P. M., the ascension by Prof. Carl Myers, in his sky bicycle air ship, an actual flying machine, carrying a man through the air by his own efforts at a height of 500 to 3,000 feet.
   MADISON.—Earlvllle's new desk works will soon be opened.
   Three acres of hops were laid flat by a storm at Bridgewater last Friday.
   Serious storms have visited the shores of Oneida Lake six Fridays in succession.
   The Oneida Union has a very tasty new dress. The Union is a hustler and deserves its success.
   Newton Brewer, aged eleven, had his skull crushed by a roller coaster at Sylvan Beach, Tuesday, and will doubtless die.
   TOMPKINS.—The Ithaca Street Railway is working up East Hill.
   The Ithaca Conservatory of Music will be opened September 10th.
   Ithaca mineral water is being shipped as far west as Chicago.
   A Democratic club organised in Groton village already numbers 115 members. S. R. Williams is president.
   Dryden Cornet Band will play for the Tompkins County Veterans Association at Ladoga Park, Saturday, August 20.
   Two handsome new cars made for the Ithaca Street Railway Company by the Gilbert Car Manufacturing Company of Troy, N. Y., arrived some weeks ago and were last week placed in operation. The company have placed an order for six closed cars, and the two in use are of the latter class. The others are in process of building.

No comments:

Post a Comment