Thursday, September 15, 2016


Cortland's first hospital was located on Clayton Avenue. Photo from Grip's Historical Souvenir of Cortland.
The Cortland Democrat, Friday, February 17, 1893.


Secretary's Annual Report.
To the President and Members of the Cortland Hospital Association:
   To-day completes the second year of work of the Cortland Hospital Association, and the hospital has been in active operation one year and ten months.
   The record of the year may seem dull and uneventful to those not actively engaged in the work; there is no new hospital to write about, no graphic incidents to relate; but the work has been steadily and faithfully carried on by those in charge.
   The house at present occupied has been leased for the coming year.
   Regular meetings of the managers have been held the first Monday of each month in the hospital parlor. The inspection has visited the house regularly, keeping an account of all household furnishings, carefully looking after its sanitary condition, and has reported at each monthly meeting.
   The employment, the supply and the other standing committees have given close attention to their respective departments of work, reporting all to the managers. Thus the regular routine work of the board has been carried on.
   It seemed advisable that the association should become an incorporated institution and accordingly the necessary papers were drawn up, on April 12 they were signed by the twenty-one members of the Board as incorporators and were duly filed in the clerk's office. In this matter we are indebted to Mr. H. A. Dickinson who gave his legal services gratuitously,
   Two changes have occurred in the Board of managers during the year. Mrs. F. N. Harrington being elected to the place made vacant by the resignation of Mrs. Dorr C. Smith, and Mrs. Forrest taking the place of Mrs. Cone, who had also resigned.
   The number of patients treated in the hospital this year, including one who was in the house at the beginning of the year, was 29, 15 men and 14 women. Two patients are now in the house under treatment. The whole number of days occupancy was 854. Of these patients 21 have paid something for the board and care received, though in many cases the remuneration they were able to make was very small, eight were not able to pay anything.
   Of the number treated 14 were dismissed cured, 7 improved, 3 not improved, and 3 deaths have occurred. Of these 29, 5 have been surgical cases. The patients have brought their own physicians with them. Those in attendance have been Drs. Didama, Angel, Higgins, Moore, Nash, Spalding, Dana, Strowbridge, Bennett and Henry.
   Miss Hall has continued during the year to very acceptably fill the place of nurse. With from three to five patients to care for at a time, as there has been considerable of the time, she has found her hands full, but has proved herself equal to it all.
   The growing appreciation of the usefulness of the institution is seen in the increased number of patients received during the year '92, in comparison with the number the previous year. During the first year of ten months there were 15 admitted, during the present year 29.
   In November the officers of the Board, together with Rev. Mr. Robinson of the Advisory Board, Judge Eggleston and Dr. F. W. Higgins, met by appointment the Board of Supervisors and laid before them the needs of our Hospital and its claim, which it seemed was but a just one, upon the county for payment for charity patients who would otherwise be a county charge. The Supervisors acted upon the matter and voted in allow the sum of [$4.25] per week in payment for cure of any patients who should be sent to the Hospital on recommendation of the county Superintendent. The length of time such patients shall be so cared for at the county's expense cannot exceed thirteen weeks.
   In April last we received our first bequest the sum of $50.00 having been left the Association by the late Mrs. Adalenah Rogers. This was set aside as the beginning of an endowment fund, with the hope that it should be greatly increased by donations from our generous citizens.
   On February 22, a Washington's birthday reception was held in the John L. Lewis Lodge rooms, and this proved n financial as well as a social success, as $110.00 was received in voluntary offerings from those in attendance.
   Prominent among the larger cash donations of the year was that of $50.00 received from the 45th Separate Co., and the W. W. Hose as the proceeds of the benefit night of their fair in May.
   The Kings Daughters have shown their continued interest in our association by the gift of $23.00. That society caused also a Hospital mite box to be placed in the E. C and N. station, similar to the one at the D. L. & W., and from those two boxes there come each month the mites which help to swell the fund necessary to carry on this work.
   Monday afternoon January 2d, the house was opened for receiving New Years calls, the ladies of the board being in attendance and serving light refreshments. Many responded to the general invitation which had been given and at the close of the afternoon our treasury was found to be the fuller by $10.80 which the guests had left behind them.
   So recent, that it is still in the minds of all, is the gift of $141.00 from Mr. Mahan as the net proceeds of the opera given by him for our benefit. This money represents an expenditure of much time, thought and hard work on the part of Mr. Mahan and the vocalists associated with him in giving this opera, and their kindness will long be remembered by this Association.
   The Treasurer's report will show that a little short of $200.00 has been received for board; this with the gifts of the larger sums mentioned amounting to $324.00, aggregates about $524.00. The remainder of the money necessary for running expenses has been raised by contributions secured by personal soliciting—while the public have shown their hearty sympathy in the work, and have responded cheerfully to the calls made upon them for money; the magnitude of our needs has not been fully realized we think, and the sums given have, with some exceptions, been so small as to impose upon the ladies of the board unpleasant and laborious duty of frequent and continuous soliciting.
   Such have been our financial resources the last year. What are they to be during the coming year? Our main reliance must still be the christian liberality of the community, whose confidence the managers endeavored to merit by doing the best they could with the material at hand.
   In October an appeal was made to the children of all the public schools of the village for contributions. It was asked that each should on a certain day bring a paper bag containing gifts of fruit, vegetables or groceries for the hospital. The children responded heartily, the gifts were collected from the various schools, and taken to the hospital; and only those who saw the array of articles can realize the enthusiasm with which the little ones had entered into the work. So liberal were these gifts that enough groceries were received to last the entire winter.
   Friends in Cortland and in neighboring towns have been mindful of our needs and have each month sent in many acceptable gifts of fruit, flowers, bedding and various household necessities. Subscriptions for the Youth's Companion and the Ladies Home Journal were given by thoughtful friends, and these with the local papers given by the publishers have helped furnish reading matter for convalescing patients and for attendants.
   We find use for every supply that can be sent us, from the largest bequests to the small bundle of old linen, and though we have been richly remembered this year, we hope, not only for the continuation, but for the enlargement of all donations.
   To the kind friends who have assisted and cheered with hopeful words and the very necessary material aid, we would express heartfelt thanks.
   In the outlook for the future we see much to be done, and we have faith that the means will be provided. We look to see in the near future a convenient hospital building, owned by the association, and an endowment sufficient to ensure the continuance of the good work.
   Surely this shall not be an idle dream.
   February 6, 1893.
   ELLA M. BUCK, Sec'y.

   The voters of the town of Cortlandville will have the issue of license or no license squarely presented at the polls next Tuesday. Those citizens interested in the sale of liquors have presented a very respectable candidate in the person of Mr. Frederick J. Pike, who, if elected, asserts that he shall exercise his best judgment in granting license, and will refuse to grant license to unworthy persons or where a license is not needed or required. The Prohibitionists have nominated an excellent gentleman as their candidate, who, we understand will not grant any license whatever. If Mr. Keese is elected the Prohibitionists will have a majority of the board for the next two years and there will be no license granted in Cortland during that period.
   The citizens of this town should go to the polls next Tuesday with a determination to do their whole duty in the premises. If they believe that it is best for the town and its people, that no licenses should be granted for the next two years, they should vote for Mr. Keese, but if they think otherwise they should vote for Mr. Pike. It is a matter of importance that should receive careful consideration and every voter ought to weigh the question carefully in his mind before arriving at a final decision. The Prohibitionists contend that the sale of liquor is wrong in the abstract and believe in total abstinence, while those who favor license insist that Prohibition does not prohibit, and that as much, if not more liquor is used when no licenses are granted as when a judicious license system prevails. Let every voter think carefully on the subject and then vote intelligently and conscientiously on the question.

   SAN FRANCISCO. Feb. 9.—The Australia arrived off the Heads at an early hour this morning with news that Minister Stevens had established a protectorate over the Hawaiian Islands. The act was executed at 9 o'clock on the morning of February 1, when the Stars and Stripes were raised over Aliuolani Hall, and the Minister issued the following proclamation.
   At the request, of the Provisional Government of the Hawaiian Islands, in the name of the United States of America, I hereby assume protection of the life and property and occupation of public buildings and Hawaiian soil so far as may be necessary for the purpose specified, but not interfering with the administration of public affairs by the Provisional Government. This action taken pending and subject to negotiations at Washington.
   Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of the United States.
   Approved and executed by C. C. WILTSE, Captain, United States Navy, commanding the U. S. steamer Boston.
   The Commercial Advertiser of February 1 said of the protectorate:
   "The provisional government after mature deliberation for some days, readied the conclusion that the step which has been taken was rendered necessary by circumstances. Incessant agitation on the part of certain whites of a class who have always been the curse of this country, coupled with the efforts of one English and one or two native papers to discredit the Government, to block its efforts towards the establishment of order, and in general to bring it into disrespect and contempt, have been the chief agencies in spreading through the town a feeling of intensities and disquiet."

Mr. Harrison Will Send a Message to Congress Favoring Annexation.
   WASHINGTON, Feb. 15.—Secretary of State Foster has telegraphed Minister Stevens approving of his action in establishing a protectorate over the Hawaiian islands pending negotiations for annexation. Instructions for his future action were also included. These instructions will leave San Francisco for Honolulu to-day by the steamer Australia.
   It is probable that a memorandum for a proposed treaty will be sent to the Senate to-day. It will contain a provision for its reference to the provisional government of Hawaii after its ratification by the United States Senate, to be returned to this country with the approval of the Hawaiian Government within two months after its arrival in Honolulu. Then upon the return of the treaty, if Congress should be in session, or us soon thereafter as Congress convenes, the legislation necessary to provide a form of government for the new territory and to carry out the financial obligations imposed by the treaty will be initiated. It is further said that the treaty contains no reference to the sugar bounty. It will be transmitted to the Senate, accompanied by a message from the President, which it is said, will cover the historic features of the annexation movement from the beginning fifty years ago and make a strong argument in favor of annexation.

   Town meeting next Tuesday.
   Bound copies of the Supervisors' Journal may be had by calling at the First National Bank in this place.
   An evening full of interest at the Homer Ave. church, Feb. 22d. Exercises begin at 7:30, followed by a conundrum supper.
   The Railroad sociable held in J. L. Lewis lodge rooms, last Monday evening, was very enjoyable, and netted the Y. M. C. A. nearly $45.
   Inez MeCusker, the prima-donna of the Boston Ideals, is not only a magnificent singer, but is one of the most beautiful women on the stage.
   The opera of "Galatea," by the Boston Ideals, tomorrow evening, will draw out one of the "toniest' audiences that will be seen in the Opera House this season.
   The veteran musician, "Happy Bill Daniels," has purchased the livery stable, No. 14 Orchard-st., and will be glad to accommodate his many friends with good rigs.
   The Skaneateles Free Press came to us last week in an entire new dress, and in an eight page form. It is always bright, newsy and clean, and such newspapers always are prosperous. It is one of our most interesting exchanges.
   The annual meeting of the stockholders of the Cortland County Agricultural Society will be held in Firemen's Hall, in this village, to-morrow, Saturday, at 2 o'clock P. M. Officers will be elected for the ensuing year. A full attendance is desired.
   Many of the friends of Father Time (who is well known in this town) can have the pleasure of meeting him at the Homer Ave. church, on the evening of Washington's Birthday, as he with his children and several grandchildren will take active part in entertaining the company at that time.
   The Clover club gave a sleighing party and dance at Higginsville, last Monday evening. Twenty-one couples were welcomed by proprietor Freer and treated to a fine supper. Happy Hill Daniels' orchestra furnished music to suit the spring floor, and a royal good time was enjoyed by all.
   The Western Union Telegraph Co., January 1st, went back to the old plan of counting each figure in a message a word instead of allowing three figures to go as one word, as was the practice for a few mouths past. The company claims that there were more errors when the figures were transmitted as figures instead of being spelled out. They now require all figures to be spelled.—Exchange.
   Last Friday evening Mr. Henry Monroe of McGrawville and a lady companion, were upset while driving across the D., L. & W. tracks on Railroad-st., and the horse ran to Main-st, and up the sidewalk on the west side. In front of E. A. Hopkins' store he fell broadside, and several men who were standing near, caught him. The cutter needed repairs. Mr. Monroe procured another cutter, and he and his companion resumed their ride.
   John N. Ringer lives on the second floor of the Squires building [old clock tower building], immediately over Fred. Ritter's barber shop. Last Monday morning his children were playing with some matches and accidentally set the window curtains on fire. The flames started for all the other combustible material in the room, but the fire was extinguished with a few pails of water, and without calling out the department. Loss, $40, with no insurance.
   Last Saturday morning, while Ray Hollenbeck and three or four other lads were putting up a private telegraph line between the Squires block and Albert Barnes residence on Park-st., he fell from a tree to the ground, where he was found a few minutes after in an unconscious condition. He was carried to his home on Union-st., where he soon revived. He fell twenty feet and struck in a snow bank. No bones were broken, but the shock was quite severe.
   Last Saturday afternoon, while George Murray and his son, John J., of Homer, were driving down Main-st., the cutter capsized in crossing the street car track above the Cortland House, and the horse ran down Main-st. Mr. Elmer Stephens was standing in front of the Beaudry block and ran out into the street as the horse came along, jumped into the cutter, seized the lines, stopped the horse, turned him around, and delivered him to the owners without injury.
   The Cortland Wheel Club will give a Smoker in their rooms this evening.
   Mr. Henry McKevitt of Truxton, offers his farm for sale in another column. The farm is a desirable one and the terms offered are easy.
   At 12 o'clock Wednesday night fire was discovered in Mr. Josiah Hart's barn in the rear of his residence, No. 57 Railroad Street. Box 333 was pulled and the department came out in a hurry. The fire was put out but the barn was ruined. Some baled hay was all it contained. The loss, which is small, is nearly covered by insurance.

   TOMPKINS—Paderewski at the Wilgus [Opera House] in Ithaca, Tuesday afternoon Feb. 21st.
   An attempt was made by some unknown person to wreck an electric car in Ithaca on the steep grade of the East Hill, Monday evening. A rail was put across the track but a lady discovered the obstruction in time to prevent an accident.
   It is good news for Dryden that the woolen mills will be in operation again next week. The silent mill has made that part of the town decidedly lonely. Everybody will be glad when the factory hands begin to go back and forth and the mill wakes up.
   On Tuesday afternoon Mr. Elmer Norcott was operated on at the City Hospital in Ithaca, for the removal of the vermiform appendix. The operation was found to be fully warranted, it being the opinion of the physicians that he could not have lived over a day or two longer without it. His chances for recovery are much improved.
   A franchise has been granted by the city to Hance's Messenger Company, giving them the privilege of erecting the necessary poles and stringing wires for equipping business places and private houses with messenger call boxes. The work will be commenced at once, and our city will soon be possessed of a perfect messenger system.

No comments:

Post a Comment