Monday, October 17, 2016


1899 photo of Sager & Jennings drug store copied from Grip's Historical Souvenir of Cortland. The statue and water fountain are missing at the corner.
Cortland Evening Standard, Thursday, March 30, 1893.

A Runaway the Cause of it—Two Men Slightly Injured—A Great Crowd on Hand as Usual to Render Assistance.
   Shortly before noon to-day Messrs. Patrick Galvin and Eugene A. Burnham of East Homer were driving into town in a democrat wagon behind a pair of spirited four-year-old colts owned by the former gentleman. When on Clinton-ave. near the residence of Dr. E. B. Nash something frightened the near colt and he gave a sudden spring which had the effect of splitting the evener at his end and letting the bolt which held that whiffletree slip from its place and down upon his heels. Instantly he began to kick and both colts started at a full run up the street.
   With one whiffletree gone it seemed almost impossible to steer the wagon and it swung from one side of the street to the other. When in front of the undertaking rooms of Mr. R. B. Fletcher the wagon gave a sudden lurch and threw both men out. The colts continued at full speed turning across the street and coming in direct contact with the drinking fountain on the corner of Main-st. and Clinton-ave, next to the store of Sager & Jennings.
   The young woman in a state of summer breeziness as to her costume, who has stood there for years drawing her scanty draperies about her shivering form, was badly demoralized by this collision. Her neck was broken and her head rolled away onto the pavement to be rescued later from under the feet of the crowd which quickly gathered. Her arm was broken, and then, as if suddenly overcome with shame at her miserable plight, the foundation upon which she has stood so long suddenly gave way and she disappeared into the interior of her pedestal with only her fair shoulders appearing above the sides.
   The shock caused by the damage done to this celebrated female must have added new terror to the frightened colts for they made another spring which cleared them from the wagon entirely. Across the street they went, steering straight for the grocery store of J. H. Day. There was a various display of goods arranged upon racks and shelves outside the window, including several cans of choice maple syrup. Into this the colts plunged at a furious rate. The people on the sidewalk scattered into the stores and alleys and out into the street. The cans were broken and the syrup was all over the walk. One of the colts fell down and partly rolled over, but was on its feet in an instant, and then they turned the corner and dashed into the hitching stable of D. E. Kinney. They received no injury whatever aside from the scare.
   Mr. R. B. Fletcher was standing at his window when he saw the horses coming up Clinton-ave. and when the men were thrown out he was the first one to reach them. Both were insensible, having struck upon their head and shoulders upon the frozen ground. Mr. Burnham soon came to consciousness and appeared not to be badly hurt, but it took longer to restore Mr. Galvin. Mrs. Geo. P. Hollenbeck was on the sidewalk at the time and when she saw that the men were insensible she rushed into the house of Mrs. Frederick Ives, left her packages, borrowed a camphor bottle and returned to assist very materially in restoring the two men. After a little Mr. Galvin was able to walk up to Dr. Moore's office and that gentleman examined his wounds. His right ear was badly bruised, he had a slight cut on his forehead near the temple and another on his cheek. Aside from a severe shaking up there is probably no more serious injuries than these.
   During the afternoon grief stricken friends have gathered up and taken away the remains of the beautiful (?) maiden who has so long proved an object of attraction to that corner drinking fountain. Perhaps her twin, on the corner of Main and Tompkins-sts. [near the Messenger House], will be so overcome with sorrow that she too may hie herself away one of these days.

Excellent Work in the Schools.
   The "B" class of our village schools who, in connection with their history work, have with so much pains sought out and compiled the facts and incidents relating to the "History of the Old Cobblestone Schoolhouse," "What the Old Cobblestone Schoolhouse Has Seen," and "What Cortland Has Done for Education," to-day received the prizes offered by Mr. F. E. Whitmore to the one in each division whose historical essay should be judged to be the best.
   All have done such faithful work that they might well be compared to Hubert Howe Bancroft of whom it is said; "he traveled hundreds of miles to consult records or to meet and converse with some one, who had been an eye witness of events relating to the history of the Pacific states," and Mr. Whitmore deemed it best to present each of the youthful historians a copy of Prof. Welland Hendrick's History of the Empire State.

Organized for Tioga, Broome, Cortland, Cayuga, Seneca and Tompkins Counties.
   The Central New York Volunteer Firemen's association was permanently organized this afternoon, says the Owego Record of Wednesday, March 29, at a meeting of the representatives held in the parlors of Susquehanna Hose Co., No. 1 in this village. There were present ex-Chief F. M. Baker of Owego, Chief C. A. Van Horn of Union, Assistant Chief E. W. Hyatt of Homer, ex-Chief J. F. Dowd of Cortland and Chief L. D. Duren of Lestershire. On motion a permanent organization was effected, to continue until the first convention, Aug. 7, as follows:
   President—F. M. Baker, Owego.
   Secretary—E. W. Hyatt, Homer.
   Treasurer—A. W. Randolph, Ithaca.
   The following committee on constitution and by-laws was appointed and authorized to have them a circular, describing the objects of the association and a petition for membership, printed and sent to every organization in the district: F. M. Baker, E. J. Jewhurst and J. F. Dowd.
   The executive committee was partly filled as follows: L. D. Duren, Broome; J. F. Dowd, Cortland; E. F. Barton, Tioga; E. J. Jewhurst, Cayuga; H. G. Rumsey, Seneca;  —, Tompkins. 

Important Business Deal.
   Maher Bros., the well-known firm of this village, and Maher Bros, of Utica, N. Y., have bought out the entire manufacturing plant and good will of the firm of Edward Maher & Co. of 44 Genesee-st., Utica, N. Y., and have consolidated the three firms under the general name and style of Maher Bros., Utica and Cortland. The firm has been increased by the admittance to a partnership of Laurence P. Maher, the youngest brother of the former partners. The firm now consists of John L. William, Thomas J., Edward, J. and Laurence P. Maher of Utica and James P. Maher of Cortland.
   The firm of Edward Maher & Co. formerly did a large wholesale business in the city of Utica, but owing to the death of Edward Maher the business has been closed up and sold to the new firm of Maher Bros, who expect to increase largely the wholesale business of the old firm. They have already engaged a corps of salesmen to go on the road for the next season. The retail business of the new firm will be looked after in Cortland as formerly by James P. Maher while the wholesale and retail business in Utica will be looked after by the remaining brothers of the firm.
   Maher Bros. are now occupying the five story building at 44 Genesee-st., Utica, N. Y., and have also leased for a term of ten years the double stores at 56 and 57 Franklin Square, Utica, the very heart of the retail business of the city. They are located next to Hugh Glenn & Co., the largest dry goods people in central New York, whose business is in the millions. The new store of the firm is a handsome six-story brick building. It has a front of 51 feet and a depth of 93 feet giving the firm ample show room for their retail business. The second floor will be used as a custom making department and will be under the supervision of Edward J. Maher. The remaining floors will be occupied for the manufacture and display of the ready-made clothing under the management of John L. Maher, the head of the firm.
   Mr. John L. Maher is recognized by the clothing trade as one of the shrewdest and most level-headed men engaged in the manufacture of clothing in this state. The retail business of the firm will be taken care of at 56 and 57 Franklin Square by William and Thomas J. Maher and at 44 Genesee st. by Laurence P. Maher. The past success of the firm as retail clothiers is a guaranty that it will be well taken care of and largely increased. All the old salesmen have been re-engaged and with the addition of some new men the public will be well taken care of. The firm of Maher Bros, at its three stores and in the factory will employ about fifty bands the year round.
   In welcoming the new firm to a larger measure of success The STANDARD only voices the wishes of the people of Cortland where the uniform courtesy, and straightforward methods of the firm have endeared them to a large and lucrative business acquaintance and we trust that the new firm will meet with the recognition that their enterprise deserves and that they will long remain a part of the business of our thriving village.—adv.

East River.
   EAST RIVER, March 27.—Sugaring is now the order of the day.
   Mrs. Isaac Foster of East Homer visited her daughter, Mrs. Maggie Bell, quite recently.
   Mr. M. Weigand and wife of Truxton were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Crandall Tuesday.
   Little Miss Nina Bell, who has been ill, is much better at present writing.
   Miss Ina Grace Hubbell called on friends in [school] district No. 11, recently.
   Mr. J. W. Crandall and wife entertained friends from out of town recently.
   Forty-four barrels of flour were shipped by the East River Milling company Wednesday.
   Mr. Isaac Foster was in town not long ago.
   Miss Ina Grace Hubbell commences her second term of school in district No. 11 to-day, (Monday).
   Mr. Wm. H. Moore was in Cortland Wednesday.
   Mr. C. A. Bean was in town recently.
   Mr. H. C. Allen was in Cortland Thursday.
   Mr. Wm. H. Moore spent Friday in Cazenovia.
   Miss Mary M. Carpenter spent a day recently with Mrs. Eugene Burnham.
   Master Eddie Allen spent a few days of last week with his sister, Mrs. Arthur Haight of Cortland.
   Mr. B. B. Hubbell called at Mr. C. A. Bean's quite recently.
   School in this district will begin April 3 with Mr. George Munson as teacher.
   Mr. H. L. Carpenter and Mr. B. J. Utley spent Saturday in Homer and Cortland.
   NANETTE. [pen name of local correspondent.]

   CUYLER, March 28.—Joseph Wood, an aged resident of this place, died very suddenly of heart disease last Wednesday morning. He arose from bed, built a fire and sat in a chair from which he fell dead.
   Lovilla J., wife of Dr. N. H. Whitmarsh, died of pneumonia, Thursday, March 23. The funeral was held at their home Saturday. Burial at DeRuyter.
   Mrs. Jessie Porter and children of DeRuyter visited at Elias Gates' Saturday.
   Mr. Leach of Cortland is here to-day buying butter. We understand he is to be here each Monday for that purpose during the spring.
   The Ladies' Aid society meet with Mrs. I. N. Brown next Friday afternoon.
   Our maple sugar makers are very busy now days and some very nice sugar and syrup is being made.
   A number of new cases of measles are reported this morning.
   Frank Nye began work for Eugene Morse this morning.
   Ansel Albro and wife from Truxton are calling about the village to-day.
   Joel J. Albro is moving on the Risley farm and Alpheus House into the Albro house.

   MCGRAWVILLE, March 28.—Mrs. P. W. Chaffee and Mrs. N. A. Bingham were in Syracuse Monday. To-day Mrs. Chaffee has her spring opening of millinery goods which every one should avail themselves of the opportunity to see.
   About 76 were present at the missionary tea at Wm. Tripp's Tuesday evening. An interesting program was rendered, refreshments served and a free will offering of $59 dollars made, which was sent by the treasurer, Mrs. W. J. Buchanan, this morning to the Binghamton board.
   Mr. and Mrs. Warner Ensign and son Arlie were called to Galetown Saturday by the severe illness of Mr. and Mrs. Gale's little child.
   Mrs. Louell Harvery was called to Elbridge last week by the sickness of her sister-in-law, Mrs. Grace Hammond, who died on Thursday. The funeral was attended from her home at Elbridge Sunday. Mrs. Alden Master and Mr. and Mrs. Slayton Hammond from here attended. The body was brought here for burial on Monday. Mrs. Hammond leaves four children two of whom, Bertha and Victor, are with relatives here, and a husband who is now in California.
   Mrs. David Short has purchased the house and lot on Center-st, owned by Chas. Edwards and will take possession April 1. Mr. Edwards is negotiating for the saloon now occupied by Joe Barber.
   Mrs. F. S. Slayton and son Larnard of Lebanon, N. H., who have been guests of Allen Russell for the past two weeks, return to their home this morning.
   Mr. and Mrs. William Gutcheus of East Homer were guests of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Russell last week.
   Do not fail to attend the pancake social at the M. E. parsonage Friday evening.
   Miss Winifred Smith starts for Evanston Thursday and Miss Bell Clegg for her sister's, Mrs. S. H. Gleason, in Ludington, Mich., the same day.

   —Special meeting of the Orris hose tonight.
   —Asa Robertson has completed a neat sign on Dr. L. T. White's window in the Whitney block.
   —Bell Bros. on the T. C. Scudder, Jr., farm have made arrangements with Mr. Marvin Wadsworth to furnish milk to their patrons.
   —A regular meeting of the board of managers of the hospital association will be held at the hospital Monday next, April 3, at 3 P. M.
   —On Saturday evening, April 1, Harmony lodge, No. 608, I. O. G. T., will hold an egg sociable in their rooms over Collins' china store.
   —A number of local sportsmen are getting ready to go trout fishing Saturday, April. 1. The season, however, when trout can be legally caught does not commence until the fifteenth of April.
   —The regular monthly mothers' meeting (central) will be held at the residence of Mrs. C. W. Collins, 18 Clinton-ave., on Tuesday, April 4, at 3 P. M. Subject—"Some Practical Health Hints." All ladies are invited.
   —George Stafford of Fayetteyille, who was too intoxicated to tell his own name yesterday, was taken before Judge Bull this morning. On his promise to shake the Cortland dust (?) off his feet, he was discharged with a reprimand.
   —The singing of the children of the Syracuse schools will frequently be heard in Chicago [World's Fair] this summer, being reproduced by phonograph. The phonograph is to be in the various schools in Syracuse in a day or two to take the impressions.
   —The postponed sociable of the Daughter's of Rebekah, I. O. O. F., will be held Friday evening, March 31, in Odd Fellows' hall, Schermerhorn building. Warm maple sugar will be served, also a literary program will be presented. Good music will be in attendance and an enjoyable, as well as profitable evening is promised to those who attend. Refreshments ten cents. All are invited.
   —Hyatt & Tooke are in the midst of quite extensive repairs upon their photograph gallery. Several partitions have been removed, so that the operating room and the workroom have been enlarged. The former is to be repapered. New Georgia pine floors throughout have been put down and several large and handsome rugs will be purchased. A number of fine new chairs add much to the appearance of the rooms.
   —The regular meeting of the W. C. T. U. will be held at the rooms (over Collins' store) on Saturday, April 1, consecration service at 2:30 P. M., following which a parliamentary drill will be conducted by Miss Sara E. Collins. It is especially desired that a large number of the union may be present. A most cordial welcome is extended to all who may wish to attend these meetings, whether members or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment