Friday, October 28, 2016


Wickwire factory with new buildings, right rear.

Cortland Evening Standard, Wednesday, April 19, 1893.


Three Acres of Ground Purchased for the Purpose—One Hundred Men to be Employed in the New Plant.
   Messrs. Wickwire Brothers have purchased of Mr. W. B. Randall two and eight-tenths acres of land just south of their present buildings for the erection of an immense new wire-drawing plant, and yesterday let to Beers & Warfield, the contract for the brick work of the new buildings. The foundations of the buildings will be staked out tomorrow and work will be begun Friday.
   The lot is the same size with that on which their present buildings stand. The main building of the new plant will be 90x212 feet, two stories high. In addition to this there will be an engine house 36x60 feet, a boiler house 24x50, a circular annealing house, and a circular cleaning house, each 60 ft. in diameter. All the buildings will be of brick.
   A steam crane will be placed between the annealing and cleaning houses, which will handle all the pots in which the wire is placed, even when red hot. The building, it is expected, will be completed by Sept. 1.
   The boiler house will have room for six 100-horse-power boilers, four of which will be placed in it as soon as it is completed. The engine will develop from 500 to 600 horse power. The wire-drawing machines are already ordered, and will be ready when the buildings are finished.
   The annealers will be fired with crude oil and a separate engine for compressing air to burn this oil will be put in, the size of which has not yet been fully determined on.
   The new plant will give steady employment to 100 men most of whom will be high priced, skilled mechanics.

New School Arrangements.
   With the opening of the new Central school this week several changes had to be made in the locations of teachers and grades. Five of the eight rooms in the new building are now occupied and a sixth will be in a few days. The other two will probably remain unoccupied until the end of the year. With the beginning of the new school year it is the intention of the board of education to quite materially reorganize the school system of the village. The idea is to gather into the new building the more advanced grades of all the ward schools, and in lower grades, such children as live in the centre of the village and who can go to this school easier than to any of the others.
   Miss McGowan with her first and second grades from the white school house on Church-st. has been transferred to the new building, and is alone in her glory on the first floor, occupying the northeast room. Miss Wallace, with the seventh grade and Miss Hunt with the eighth and ninth grades have been transferred from the old cobblestone school house on Church-st. to the southwest and southeast rooms respectively on the second floor. Miss Knapp with her fifth grade has been transferred from the Schermerhorn-st. [Grace Street] school to the northeast room on the second floor. Miss Williams with the sixth grade from the Pomeroy-st. school has been transferred to north-west room on the second floor. Miss Ellis has been transferred from the Owego-st, to the Schermerhorn-st. school. This relieves Miss Galusha at the Homer-ave. school, for about thirty of her children are transferred to the Schermerhorn-st. school, and new children who heretofore have been unable to enter either the Schermerhorn-st. or Homer-ave. schools can now be admitted to both. Miss Van Bergen is transferred from the. Port Watson-st. school to the Pomeroy-st. school.

The New Chimes.
   We are pleased to notice, and presume the good town's people who have contributed towards the object will be glad to learn, that the set of chimes for Grace Episcopal church is in transit and will be placed in the tower of the church edifice about the first week of May next. The set comprises fifteen tubular bells upon which can be executed nearly all the tunes and hymns usually played upon a common house instrument. It will be a pleasing and valuable acquisition to our enterprising and progressive village—an addition and benefit in which all will delight and rejoice.
   The subscriptions towards this object are now due and the committee would regard it a favor if the same could be paid as soon as possible to the treasurer of the chime fund, Mr. G. J. Mager. There is yet a small balance to be raised which it is hoped will be made up at once by further voluntary contributions. These can be handed to the rector, Rev. Mr. Clarke, Messrs. H. B. Hubbard, G. J. Mager, or any member of the vestry.

   The absolute change of policy in the administration of this government is nowhere more marked than in the hauling down of the American flag from over Hawaii. From Jan. 17 to April 1 it floated there in triumph and glory. Had Harrison remained president, Hawaii, for better or for worse, might now have been United States territory. Commissioner Blount has proved that he could keep a secret at any rate, for nobody knew he had orders from President Cleveland to order down the American flag.
   Commissioner Blount appears to be President Cleveland's political Satolli, not an apostolic legate precisely, but a presidential legate. President Cleveland writes of Mr. Blount:
   "I have made choice of James H. Blount, one of our distinguished citizens, as my special commissioner to visit the Hawaiian Islands to make a report to me concerning the present status of affairs in that country. He is well informed of our sincere desire to cultivate and maintain to the fullest extent the friendship which has so long existed between the two countries, and in all matters affecting relations with the government of the Hawaiian Islands his authority is paramount."
   We have the assurance of Mr. Blount that no other nation will be permitted to take possession of the islands. But it will be now more difficult to prevent this than it was before. Blaine, then secretary of state, wrote Dec. 1, 1881, that the possession of the Hawaiian Islands was in the range of questions of a purely American policy, and that if ever there came a time when Hawaii would no longer be able to maintain her own neutrality "this government would then unhesitatingly meet the altered situation by seeking an avowedly American solution for the grave issues presented."

SS Naronic.
We Only Know She Sailed Away.
   The disappearance of the great White Star twin-screw freight steamer Naronic will probably remain as the ocean mystery of 1893. She is at last given up entirely, and the insurance companies are paying their policies on her cargo. Not in years has a large ocean steamer dropped from human knowledge like that—never before a steamer so powerful and perfectly fitted to endure all weathers, as was supposed.
   The Naronic was one of the strongest steamers ever built. She was of steel, with three decks, and two engines working independently, so that if one was disabled the other could alone bring her into port. Passenger steamers are not so stanch in build as the Naronic was, for she was constructed especially to bear a great weight of freight, and it was not necessary to sacrifice any considerations of safety to speed. She was fitted for the live stock trade especially and carried 1,050 head of cattle. These she took across the water to England, returning with a load of 4,000 tons of freight.
   At the time she disappeared she was on her way to this aide with 70 men on board. She could easily have held five such vessels as those in which Columbus and his men crossed the ocean, yet this mighty ship has disappeared as utterly as if she had been a phantom ship existing only in imagination. It is not likely now that any trace of her will ever be found beyond the two lifeboats floating bottom upward, telling in that simple fact a story seldom equaled in tragedy and pathos. Did the Naronic strike an iceberg and go down? Did she founder in the heavy waves? Did she come in collision with another vessel, and did both sink with all on board? When shall we know?

Hebrews to be Expelled.
   LONDON, April 19.—The Russian-Hebrew committee in this city has advices from St. Petersburg that the minister of the interior has ordered the governors of Livonia and Courland to expel all Hebrews from these two provinces before Nov. 1. More than 60,000 Hebrews will be expelled under this order and will be driven into the overcrowded towns within the pale.

Bogus Chinese Certificates.
   TACOMA, Wash., April 19.—Collector Wesson has commenced the examination of the 2,700 Chinese held on the steamer Mogul since Thursday. At a late hour last night only about half of them had been examined, and on an average only one in five was admitted. It is apparent that many of them are bogus.

Gas and Oil Excitement.
   GLOVERSVILLE, N. Y., April 19.—The natural gas and oil excitement has broken out in this section again. The common council of this place and the board of trustees of Johnstown were asked to grant a franchise for the piping of the two places for natural gas. The petitioners were S. H. Kennedy, who has been making explorations here for three years and many others. The franchise was granted at Johnstown but was laid over a week in this city.

Barbers Form a Trust.
   The barbers of Cortland met in Mr. D. J. Chadwick's barber shop Monday evening and organized a "trust.'' Jacob Grossman was chosen chairman and D. W. English secretary of the meeting. It was unanimously decided to close the shops Sundays to take effect April 28. It was decided to have cards printed to that effect and that the curtains to the shops be left open Sundays. A committee was appointed to draw up a constitution and by-laws.
   The following schedule of prices was decided upon: Hair cut and whiskers trimmed, thirty cents; whiskers trimmed, fifteen cents; dry shampoo, ten cents; regular shampoo, twenty-five cents; shave and neck trimmed with shears, fifteen cents; hot packs for "bigheads," fifteen cents extra; hair cutting, twenty-five cents.
   All motions will take effect April 23, 1893. All prices will be seen on cards in all barber shops.
   On motion, it was decided to close the shops every night, except Saturday evenings, at 8 o'clock to take effect from Monday, April 24.
   The meeting was then adjourned till Thursday evening of this week.

   Alfred Frisbie, Jr., died Sunday in Philadelphia of congestion of the liver and heart failure, aged 24 years. The remains were brought to Cortland yesterday morning and were placed in the receiving vault. Mrs. Laura Frisbie and the deceased's mother, Mrs. Alfred Frisbie, accompanied the remains. The deceased is the nephew of Mr. James M. Repnolds [sic] of The STANDARD office and was an assistant of his father, Alfred Frisbie, Sr., who has charge of the spectacular part of Forepaugh's [circus] show.

New Stenographers and Typewriters.
   Miss Augusta Brown, who has been conducting a school of stenography and typewriting for some months past in the Standard building, at the close of last week's work conferred diplomas for having completed a five months' course on the following young ladies: Miss Cora Cleveland of Cortland; Miss Clara Gardner of Callicoon Depot; and Miss Mary G. Wolf of Tunkhannock, Pa. The young ladies have been apt and faithful students, and Miss Brown regards them as proficient in the theory of their work, and as being as well up in practice as the time devoted to it would permit, and ready to take dictation of ordinary business correspondence at fair speed.
   Miss Brown herself is an accomplished stenographer and typewriter, as well as a successful instructor, having graduated from the well known Scott-Brown school in New York City four year ago, and since that time and until coming to Cortland occupied responsible places in and about the metropolis. A school such as she has conducted here is a valuable addition to any village, inasmuch as it affords an opportunity for those desiring to become thorough typewriters and stenographers to do so without the expense and inconvenience of leaving home and taking instruction in some city. Not only those who have been under Miss Brown's tuition, but all who will take the pains to examine her work and the work of her pupils, will, we think, unite in endorsing her qualifications both as an expert in her line and as a competent teacher. Her school is entitled to general public favor and a liberal patronage, and in view of the steadily growing demand for experts in the arts which she teaches, it ought to secure a large attendance.

   Mr. C. E, Ercanbrack went angling Monday for the speckled beauties in Dry creek and returned with a string of ten fine trout, ranging from six to ten and one-half inches in length.
   Messrs. Michael Sweeney and John Meade visited the latter's parents in Groton Sunday.
   Mrs. Joseph Palmer and son Byron left for Syracuse yesterday. They went with the intention of having another operation performed on Byron's eyes.
   A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Walker Sunday.
   The smokestack of the Homer Mfg. Co. was blown down yesterday morning.
   One of the attractions that can frequently be seen on South Main-st. almost any evening is Charlie Antisdel "exercising" on a pneumatic safety [wheel.] Reserved seats on the curbstones.

   —O'Leary & McEvoy's furniture store has been connected with the Telephone Exchange.
   —The funeral of Mrs. Beaudry was held at St. Mary's church at 10 o'clock this morning.
   —Mr. R. H. Beard has a horse which is suffering from lockjaw caused by a nail in the hoof.
   —Edward Welch paid a fine of $5 for public intoxication in police court yesterday morning.
   —An open circuit was the cause of thirty-three arc lamps going out Monday evening, leaving the streets in almost total darkness.
   —The sheriff's sale of the Cortland Top & Rail Co's. plant, which was to have been held to-day, was again adjourned to the 25th inst.
   — General Manager of the D., L. & W., W. F. Hallstead's "Comet," was to pass through town this afternoon on his regular business trip from Scranton to Utica, to Syracuse and Cortland.
   —The sale of seats for the Lotus Glee club and Miss Minnie Marshall at the Opera House on Friday evening opened at Wallace's this morning. A goodly number have been taken and they are going all the time.
   —The STANDARD is indebted to Dr. David Eugene Smith of Ypsilanti for a copy of the Detroit Evening News containing a full account of the cyclone in Ypsilanti with profuse illustrations of wrecked buildings.
   —A dispatch was received in Cortland yesterday afternoon by Mrs. A. S. Burgess announcing the death of Mrs. R. M. Smith of that city. Her husband was formerly the proprietor of the Messenger House in Cortland, and is now conducting the St. James [hotel] of Utica.
   —The gold medal and diploma awarded the Cortland Howe Ventilating Stove Co. at the Triennial fair of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association at Boston last fall, are on exhibition in D. F. Wallace A Co.'s show window for a short time, before being sent to the Columbian Exposition at Chicago with the company's exhibit.
   —Hon. L. J. Fitzgerald has sold his handsome pair of chestnut carriage horses to his brother, Mr. William Fitzgerald of Chicago. The horses were shipped this afternoon and left at 2:30 on a through coal train on the D., L. & W. R. R. Mr. R. G. Watkins went with them.
   —About a dozen of the most prominent business men of Cortland, most of whom do not new ride a wheel, have organized a new bicycle club. The non-riders are expecting soon to procure wheels and they will quickly join the procession. It is only a question of time before every one in town will be mounted. The bicycle craze is no respector of persons and is not governed by age, size or color.
   —A mass meeting will be held for men only next Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock in the Baptist church in the interests of the Citizens' Law Enforcement association [No License] of Cortlandville which is being organized. Rev. W. H. Pound will address the meeting, representing the pastors. Addresses will be given also by representative business men. A male quartet composed of the following named gentlemen: Messrs. G. B. Farley, J. B. Hunt, Frank Nowlan and Edward L. Moran, will be present and sing. Every man in Cortland interested in home, and in the welfare of humanity should attend, until the church is filled at least.

Mr. F. W. Beach Saves a Human Life.
   Richard Decker had a very narrow escape from being ground to pieces under the wheels of a passenger train. Yesterday morning, just as the 10 o'clock vestibuled train on the D., L. & W. was pulling into the station at a good rate of speed, Decker walked right in front of the train. He did not see the passenger train, but was looking at a freight train which was just pulling out of the station north. Every member of the crowd, which stood on the platform, stood for what seemed ages to them fairly petrified with terror, The engineer applied the air brakes, but it was too late, the train could not be stopped in time to save the man. Just as every one who witnessed the spectacle had nerved themselves to see the man struck by the locomotive, Mr. F. W. Beach seized the imperiled man by the coat and jerked him from in front of the train just in time to save his life and the train sped by like a whirl wind, nearly grazing the buttons on Decker's coat. Had it not been for the quick, brave work of Mr. Beach, nothing would have saved Decker from being taken off the tracks on the installment plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment