Saturday, October 29, 2016


Cortland Evening Standard, Friday, April 21, 1893.

Freaks of Great Minds.
   It is surprising how great minds sometimes run in the same direction. In the account of the elopement of Mrs. Orlando Willis and Charles Simpson, published in Tuesday's STANDARD, through a slip of the pen our reporter wrote that Mr. Willis, the deserted husband, was an employee of the Cortland Cart and Carriage Co., when he should have said an employee of the Cortland Harness and Carriage Goods Co. The reporter knew better, for he went to the factory of the latter company to interview Mr. Willis, but with right intent he wrote the wrong name. The error was not noticed until the paper was printed.
   This morning the Cortland Democrat comes out with an account of the elopement, in which not a single fact is introduced that was not in the STANDARD'S item and it appears that the author of the account in the Democrat must also have been afflicted with a lapsus pennae, for he too says Mr. Willis was an employee of the Cortland Cart and Carriage Co. We would not for the world imply that the error in the STANDARD on Tuesday had anything to do with the error in the Democrat on Friday, but we would only commiserate our neighbor for falling into the same error that we did, and would close as we began, it is surprising how great minds do run in the same direction.

Last Night's Gale.
   The wind last night was as severe as any that has visited Cortland in years excepting the cyclone of August, 1890. The furious storm added to this made it a bad night to get out. At about 6 o'clock the large sign of G. J. Mager & Co. blew down, one end striking the huge plate glass window south of the entrance, badly smashing it. No damage was done to goods inside.
   At about 7:30 o'clock Mr. L. M. Alexander was alone in the store of Tanner Brothers and was at work at the desk. Suddenly there was a crash and the large plate glass at the south side of the entrance was blown in. The wind blew a hurricane and sent everything on the brass hangers over the south counter sliding towards the rear end of the store. A pair of $10 lace curtains was badly cut by the glass. A valuable dress pattern in the window was also cut in places, and other things were considerably dampened by the rain which beat in. Mr. Alexander flew around in a very lively manner for a few moments until he had secured the goods from the window, then he sent for Mr. J. G. Jarvis and the two clerks fixed up the window so as to keep the rain out. The glass has been slightly cracked for a year or more. The crack has gradually spread and it has become so weakened as not to be able to withstand the pressure of the wind.
   The electric light wires in front of Fireman's hall were blown together about 8 o'clock last evening and were burned off. They left the stores in that vicinity without light last evening, except when the gas and lamps were lighted. The breaks was [sic] repaired this morning and the lamps are expected to run all right to-night.

Sixty Days More.
   Devere Richer, who, after serving a sentence of seventy-five days in the Onondaga penitentiary, was brought to Cortland by Sheriff Miller a few days ago, was up before Judge Bull this morning on the charge of petit larceny. He waived all further proceedings and pleaded guilty. The judge sent him up for sixty days more and warned him that if he was brought before him again he would give him six months. "Do you understand that?" said the judge. When Devere accompanied the sheriff back to jail he was crying like a great overgrown baby.

Fifteen Postoffices Robbed.
   During the past month not less than fifteen postoffices have been robbed in Western New York. The first was at Hammondsport, where the burglars got nearly $1,000 in money and stamps. They escaped by stealing the hand car and making their way to the village of Bath, nine miles. The other burglaries have followed that one in rapid succession, the methods of the robbers giving evidence that the work was done by the same persons in every instance. No clue to their identity has been discovered, although officers have been working on clues ever since the Hammondsport robbery. The burglaries have netted the thieves about $8,000.—Ithaca Journal.

New York Central Express Engine 999 at World's Fair in Chicago.
The Largest Passenger Engine.
   The largest passenger engine in the world was on Tuesday of last week tried in the Central shops at West Albany, and in a few days more will be sent to Chicago to be exhibited at the world's fair. Heretofore the largest engines used in passenger traffic in this country were those in use on the Empire State Express; four of them weighing each a trifle over ninety-five tons. The engine which left the shop on Tuesday, under steam for the first time, weighs a trifle over one hundred tons, and in every respect is one of the finest pieces of mechanism ever put in front of a passenger car. Some idea of the tremendous size of this engine can be gathered when the fact is noted that its drive wheels, four in number, are seven feet, three inches high and it is four feet longer than any engine now on the road.

                                                 Rule 12.
   Rule 12 of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers has come into contact with the United States interstate commerce law and got a black eye. Whether the decision of Judge Taft that obedience to its mandate constitutes a conspiracy against the United States and is therefore punishable as such will stand depends on the final decision of the United States courts. The case will be next laid before the United States circuit court of appeals.
   Rule 12 of the Locomotive Engineers declares in effect that when a strike has been approved on any given road by the grand chief it shall be a violation of obligation to the order for the engineers of any other road to handle the cars of the route where the strike is on. Chief Arthur approved the strike on the Ann Arbor road and sent out circulars to the connecting roads directing their engineers to observe rule 12.
   The Ann Arbor company laid the case before Judge Ricks of the United States district court, representing the injury done to it by the boycott. Judge Ricks issued an injunction to Chief Arthur commanding him to recall the circular. He did so, but five engineers and four firemen refused compliance and obeyed rule 12 rather than an order from the United States court. They were arrested for contempt of court.
   There were two lawsuits. One was the petition praying that the injunction be made permanent which forbids Chief Arthur to order compliance with rule 12. Judge Taft decides that the injunction shall be made permanent because rule 12 is clearly in conflict with the interstate commerce law.
   The other case was that against the engineers and firemen who refused to haul the cars of the Ann Arbor road, even after Chief Arthur had issued the circular declaring his order was rescinded. Judge Ricks found by the evidence that four of the engineers and firemen actually resigned their places in good faith rather than transfer freight of the Ann Arbor road. This they could do, because a man has a right to quit his employment at any time. But in case of the remaining engineer the evidence showed that he did not actually resign his place, but evaded the issue. He therefore was found guilty of contempt of court. The result of lawyer Frank Hurd's appeal from this decision will be awaited with interest.

The latest trust is the Typewriter trust, consisting of a union of five of the leading writing machine companies. Two things it is to be hoped in mercy to humanity they will not do. One is to put the price of typewriting machines higher than it is now. The other is to monopolise all the nice young women and form a pretty typewriter girl trust too.
Industrial enterprises are on the upgrade in the south. During the first quarter of 1893 the manufacturing establishments started in the southern states exceeded those for the same period in 1892 by 198. The increase was especially noted in cottonseed oil mills and wood working factories. This month the governors of all the southern states meet in convention at Richmond to form plans for the industrial development of the south. It is certain that they will take pains to impress upon the public the few fixed all round principles on which the prosperity of every community depends. Mob rule and crimes of violence must be suppressed and law and order maintained first. Then there must be good roads Next there must be good schools. The climate, soil and natural resources of many parts of the south are not exceeded even by those of California.
Lawyers, poets, historians and novelists who want to draw on the Bearing sea arbitration case for facts and fancies are informed that the material is now at their disposal. They can read through at any time the printed report of all the particulars in the case. There are only 14 volumes of it.
Have we lost Willie Waldorf Astor forever from his own native land? We fear we have, since Willie Waldorf has bought Cliveden, one of the ancestral seats of the Duke of Westminster. The head of the Astor family is now a Britisher. The only thing lacking to perfect felicity is a title. It used to be that rich citizens could buy that, too, but those happy days are past. The only hope for Willie Waldorf is that some lucky accident or scheme may bring him to the favorable notice of Queen Victoria or the Prince of Wales. We do not know what his title should be, but we can tell the coat of arms. Let it be a coonskin rampant, tacked upon the gable of a log cabin to dry.

   SCOTT, April 18.—Mrs. Lois Clark has been quite ill for the past few days.
   Messrs. Bourdon Potter and Arvine Bedell made a business trip to Cortland and vicinity one day last week and bought a horse which matches well the one that Mr. Potter has been using for more than a year,
   Mrs. Will Pidge and two children of Syracuse are visiting her father, Mr. Austin Brown.
   Miss Rubie Potter returned to her school at Homer last Monday, after being detained at home a week by illness.
   Mr. Francis Maxson came very near losing a span of horses one day last week while gathering sap during one of those heavy winds. As the team was standing for them to empty sap, things began to take on a dangerous aspect, and they started the team just in time for the tree to fall at the rear end of the sleigh. They adjourned indefinitely.
   A strange boy came into our place some ten days ago, giving his name as Jackson, and his age as fourteen years, and he rode a black horse. He hired out to Austin Brown and arranged with Mr. Fairchilds to keep the horse. Last Monday his father, Mr. Mortimer Jackson of Marietta, came in pursuit of him, but as the boy took to the woods, he did not succeed in getting him, but relieved Mr. Fairchilds of the care of the horse.
   Mr. Mills G. Frisbie has a cream separator which he is using a few days on trial.
   The snow is mostly gone but some large drifts still remain. Mr. Austin Brown can boast of the most snow to the square rod of any man in the country, as he has acres of it yet, anywhere from two to ten feet deep. It is safe to say that he has enough for all necessary purposes to last until July with careful using.
   Mrs. Josie Barber, who has been spending a few weeks in town, has returned to Cortland.
   ECHO. [pen name of local correspondent.]

   LITTLE YORK, April 19.—School commenced Monday with Miss Fanny Clark as teacher.
   Mrs. Jaquett of Homer spent a few days last week with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Burgess.
   Mr. George Warn, Sr., while preparing to move to his new place in Preble, had the misfortune to break his leg by heavy timbers falling upon it. It is thought he will be able to be moved next week.
    We learn that there are to be extensive repairs and improvements made upon Ceylon Isbell's house. E. C. Taylor of Homer is to do the work.
   Bessie Lord returned from a week's visit to friends in Linckaen Monday.
   Tickets are out for a party at Gay's hotel on Friday evening of next week.
   Mr. Baldwin, the new manager of the Union milk factory, moved with his family to his place of business last Saturday. New help is to take the place of the old in the factory, and pot cheese is to be one of the principal articles of manufacture.
   Mr. Eaton's family of Lincklaen have moved into the Woodward house between here and Preble.
   Wm. Hobart, whose leg was broken some weeks ago, is able to be out on crutches.

   CINCINNATUS, April 8.—The Misses Miller of McDonough have taken rooms in D. D. Ufford's house, where they will do dressmaking hereafter.
   F. C. Lewis of Pharsalia and Ray Baldwin of Otselic are clerks for Wheeler & Baldwin at the brick store.
   Mrs. Southworth, mother of Mrs. W. W. Wood, died of apoplexy Monday at the residence of W. W. Wood, where she has lived for several years. Her remains were taken to Coventry, Chenango Co., to-day for burial.
   The annual meeting of the patrons of the Tillinghast creamery was held Monday evening the 17th. C. R. Dickinson was elected president; M. L. Halbert, secretary and treasurer; and Oliver Griswold, H. B. Boyd and S. S. Beckwith, salesmen. Mr. Frank Doane will manufacture the milk. The factory will open about May 1.
   Miss Mary Dillenbeck is in German caring for her sister who has measles. [Italics added--CC editor.]
   Miss Hattie Parker starts to-morrow for a visit to friends in Buffalo.
   H. C. Dillenbeck of Killawog is visiting friends here.

   VIRGIL, April 19.—The Ladies' Aid and Mission circle of the Baptist church will give an ice cream social at the church on Friday evening of this week. Committee of arrangements, Mrs. W. H. Hall, Mrs. Harmon Sheerer and Miss Eva Doud. Literary committee, Mr. Julius Davis and Miss Carrie Bulfinch. All are invited.
   The M. E. church has an excellent choir, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Fidellar Dann, Mr. Newton Lang and his sister, Miss Lillian Lang; Miss Addis Catlin, organist. Miss Catlin has lately come here to live, but has placed the society under obligation to her by giving her services as organist.
   Miss Lillian Lang commences her second term of school in the State Road district on Monday.
   Miss Inez Stillman is teaching in the Joiner district.
   Miss Iva Ballou is teaching on Snyder hill. Her school is closed for a short time on account of scarlet fever. Delmar Homer is sick with it. Miss Ballou boards at his home. It is hoped that he will soon recover.
   Miss Nellie Oaks celebrated her fifteenth birthday on Friday last by gathering her young lady friends together at the new and beautiful home of her parents. The young ladies present report a very pleasant time.
   Mr. Clinton Sager spent Sunday at Dr. Tripp's in Auburn.
   Mr. Abram L. Hutchings and Mrs. E. McCarthy of Etna have been spending a few days with relatives here. Abe is looking well and reports everything going nicely with him.
   Mrs. James Mitchell is now very feeble and at 86 years is probably very near the end of the journey. She is being cared for at the home of Mrs. George Wilcox.
   Mrs. Sylvester Crain is very poorly with gangrene in one foot with the chances against her recovery.
   Mr. Price Rounds is in New York this week with a car load of stock.

   EAST HOMER, April 18. Mrs. W. H. Robertson and children are in Freetown a few days visiting her parents.
   Mrs. W. W. Briggs and daughter Libbie visited friends in Homer a few days recently.
   C. F. Bennett is making arrangements to start his grocery wagon on the road some time this week. Will Atkinson will be the driver this year.
   Mr. and Mrs. Irving Sears returned to East Homer on Friday last. Mr. Sears began his third term of school in this place on Monday of this week. They have rented rooms in the Maycumber house.
   The funeral services of Miss Alice Maycumber were held at the usual hour of services at the church on Sunday last.
   Oscar Smith and a gentleman friend from Cortland were in town to eat warm sugar one evening last week.
   Bradford Butterfield has begun a large job of painting for William Jones of Truxton.
   B. F. Walter has a carload of middlings for sale at the depot.

   Mr. Thomas Knobel has just completed a consignment of six neat signs in colors for the undertaker and furniture dealer, F. R. Furber at Marathon.
   Several Homer people were decidedly late in their Hollowe'en work, but are having a good deal of sport, if it did cost them a little hard work. When the inhabitants of the business portion of the town began to stir around yesterday morning it was noticed that Mr. Thomas Knobel's old barber sign had mysteriously disappeared from its usual haunt, where it had stood for so many years, and was found across the road on the the corner of Main and James-st. A short time afterward a solemn procession formed and bore the remains of the ancient relic to the alleyway between the Riggs and Bennett buildings, where it is recuperating after the excitement and tiresome journey. Mr. Knobel says that it will soon be ready for a like trip, should the boys desire a little more sport.
   The work of putting in the new plate glass front to the postoffice is nearly completed.
   In the case of Josephine Brown, who was aroused with difficulty from her long sleep, through being misinformed The STANDARD stated that Dr. G. D Bradford was called in consultation with Dr. L. W. Potter. The latter physician was not able to take the case just at that time and give it the care and attention which it demanded. Accordingly Mr. A. H. Bennett called Dr. Bradford, who has had charge of the patient. The woman is now thought to be all out of danger.
   Our quiet little village was awakened about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon by a hooting and yelling which resembled a band of Indians. People rushed from the stores and houses, holding on to their scalps, the wind was blowing down the valley a terrific gale, to see what it all meant. It proved to be a couple of Cortland Sports, one a well known business man, who had been indulging in a little too much "bug juice" and both appeared to be happy as they lashed the poor beast they were driving at every jump. Just as they got in front of the Union building Officers Jones and Porter seized the bits of the horse and commanded the occupants of the vehicle to come along with them. Both endeavored to get out on the same side of the wagon at the same time, but at last succeeded in reaching terra firma. Officer Jones took charge of the horse and carriage, while Officer Porter piloted the men in their zig zag travel up Main-st. to Justice Kingsbury's office. The men presented a sorry appearance. They were literally plastered with mud and their faces were hardly recognizable for the coating of mud. A gang of men and boys brought up the tail end of the parade and standing room was at a premium in the justice's office when the prisoner's were arraigned for examination. As the men were so intoxicated the examination was postponed and the two besotted individuals were placed in the "cooler" to sober up.

   TRUXTON, April 17.—Dr. H. I. Van Hoesen was away several days last week in Brooklyn, where he was called by the death of an uncle.
   Mr. Frank Goddard of Elmira spent Sunday with his mother here.
   Mrs. George Maycumber and little daughter of Cortland visited here last week.
   Mrs. O. D. Patrick and Josephine spent several days with friends in Cortland last week.
   Miss Mamie Hennessey who died in Tully, was buried here last Wednesday. She had many warm friends here who deplore her early death.
   Mr. and Mrs. Sabin Pierce spent last Tuesday and Wednesday with friends in Cortland.
   Prof. J. C. Perry's painting class will meet Friday, Apr. 21, at Dodd's hall. Each member of the class should endeavor to be present, as this meeting in to decide whether Mr. Perry will continue his visits through the summer.
   Mrs. Anna Jones visited her mother in Cortland last week.
   Mr. Mike Kiley of Cortland was in town yesterday.
   Mr. Chauncey Stevens of New York is in town.
   Mr. Blanchard of Cuyler was in town last night for a short time.
   A. R. Bryant takes a business trip this week through Southern New York and Northern Pennsylvania.
   Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hackett have a little son, born this morning.

   —Lotus Glee club and Miss Minnie Marshall to-night at the Opera House.
   —The Gamma Sigma fraternity and the Y. M. D. C. hold a match baseball game at the fair grounds this afternoon.
   —The King's Daughters will meet in their rooms, 7 Clinton-ave., Saturday, April 22 at 2:30 P. M.
   —There is no stock report this afternoon as the special wire was broken last night by the high wind.
   —The editor of the Whitney's Point Reporter says: "It has cost us $33 to winter our Jersey cow, and we are not dilating much now on the subject of dairying in a village."
   —The first war meeting in Cortland was held at the court house thirty-two years ago last night. It is a peculiar fact that thirty-two years ago last night Mr. H. M. Kellogg enlisted at his home in Ohio.
   —We publish to-day on our sixth page the abstract of addresses at the Y. M. C. A. anniversary exercises which we have not had room to get in heretofore. A considerable amount of valuable local matter had to be omitted until to-morrow on account of lack of room.
   —Hopes are entertained by Dr. F. W. Higgins that Mr. L. E. McKee, who was unfortunate enough to have a chip of iron strike his right eye while at work in the Hitchcock foundry Tuesday, will not lose the sight of his eye. The piece of iron struck the eyelid causing a clot of blood to form both in front and behind the eyeball. Dr. Higgins has that all cleared away now, but the eye is a good deal inflamed.
   —The Cortland Normal expects to send three ladies to Wellesley college next September, Mrs. Cora E. Pingrey, Miss Lucy B. Allen and Miss Lillie E. King. All will enter on certificate. The secretary of Wellesley recently wrote to Dr. Cheney regarding Miss Louise T. Penny, who finished her preparatory work at the Normal last June and entered college in the fall, and said "You will be interested to know that your representative this year has proved to be an able one. Her work has not fallen below the average in any subject, and in Latin, mathematics and English she has made a thoroughly good record."

Crop Bulletin.
ITHACA, N. Y., April 18, 1893.
   The following information has been condensed from the reports of 56 crop correspondents for the week ending with Saturday, April 15, 1893:
   Temperature: The week has been colder than usual at this time of the year.
   Precipitation: The precipitation has been excessive in all parts of the state, but especially so in the counties of Allegany, Cattaraugus and Steuben, and in the extreme southeast.
   Sunshine: The weather has been more cloudy than usual at this time of spring.
   The weather of the week has not been injurious to crops, but in general has been too cool and wet for farming operations. The frost is nearly all out of the ground, excepting in the most northern counties, and plowing had become general south of the Mohawk river. Some gardening has been done, and early potatoes planted in the extreme southeast and on the shores of lake Erie and Ontario. A few oats have also been sown in the warmer sections. The soil needs warmth and sunshine to bring it in proper condition for working.
   The week has been very favorable for sugar making in the northern counties, and a large yield is being secured. The storm of the 14 and 15 left from 2 to 16 inches of snow on the ground over nearly all sections of the state, which brought farm work to a standstill but will be of great benefit to grass and grains in general.
   E. A. FUERTES, Director.
   R. M. HARDINGE, Observer, U. S. Weather Bureau, Assistant Director.

No comments:

Post a Comment