Friday, November 4, 2016


Old Quarter, Panama City, Columbia..

Cortland Evening Standard, Saturday, April 28, 1893.

To San Francisco by the Way of Panama.
   Mr. M. H. McGraw has just received a letter from his son George, who started some weeks ago for San Francisco via Panama, and we are permitted to publish some parts of it. Mr. McGraw says:
   As you see by this I am in Panama in good health and spirits. I arrived in Colon or Aspinwall on the 5th after a fine trip of just seven days. There were only six cabin and two steerage passengers on the ship as the line is new and not known generally as is the Pacific Mail, but will in time I think cut that line out as the Col. line is in collusion with the Panama R. R. Co. which means a big pull. All the passengers were extremely pleasant. I was quite sea sick for the first two days. Only one of the passengers (Mr. Bacon of Washington) is going through so I was fortunate to find him a very pleasant and agreeable traveling companion. He is a druggist by trade and is going to Sacramento, Cal. to settle, as his health is poor in the east.
   Colon is about the same size as Cortland but very rough and uncitified. The town is surrounded by cocoanut palms which makes a pretty picture as the steamer comes in. The town is populated by almost every nationality, but the Chinese, Jamaica Negroes, Spanish and French are in larger numbers. There is very little to see in Colon except negroes and they are plenty. Of course it is very novel to see this tropical country to one not accustomed to seeing it. Col. Reeves, superintendent of the railroad, and De Lesseps residences are very pretty being laid out with gardens of cocoanut, banana, sago, fern and other varieties of palms and flowering trees.
   Yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock we started for Panama over the railroad and a very novel ride it is, right through wild and most luxuriant tropical foliage. The canal, or rather the ruins of canal and machinery which is seen from the train is indeed a sorry sight. Millions of dollars of fine dredging engines, immense dredging steamers, dump cars and locomotives lie there before you, some of it covered partially up with rank grass while whole trains of dump cars lie on the track rotting away. Of course in many cases the machinery is kept painted and housed, but this is an exception to the rule.
   There are nearly thirty stations between Colon and Panama. The town is occupied by Jamaica negroes who live in small wooden dwellings, but between the towns are small clusters of thatched huts, conical in shape, in which live the native negroes in a nearly wild state—no floor but the ground—and no clothing (for the small children) but their dark brown skins which by the way is an improvement to a great many of the other negro children, who wear perhaps only a nasty, greasy chemise or waist shirt. It takes the passenger trains (of which there is only one each way per day) over two hours to make the journey of 45 miles and the cars are very poor compared to our American cars.
   We drove to the hotel from the station on arriving at Panama. This hotel is the best in the city, but at that is simply "rank," but there are quite a number of Americans who live here who think it's all O. K. In the first place it is very, very dirty, and consequently the sanitary arrangements are bad, so bad that I only wonder they don't have cholera or yellow fever the year around. They are nicely situated however, as we look out at the plaza or garden square across to the large cathedral. This is the finest square in the city and the plaza is laid out with palm and beautiful flowering trees. The town is of about 25,000 population and now has electric light and car line. The buildings are largely of stone or stone and mortar, and are more substantial than at Colon.
   We shall sail to-morrow morning at 9 A.M. on the City of Sydney, Pacific Mail, for San Francisco as the City of Mexico does not sail until the 18 or 20. Will probably reach Frisco on the 24. Write me at San Francisco, 504 Stockton-st., as I will get mail there that you write now at about the time I make Frisco. We stop at several Mexican and Central American ports up. Give my love to all the family. With much love,
   I am your son,
   G. W. MCGRAW.

The Lack of These Causes A Strike Among New York Waiters.
   NEW YORK, April 29.—Unless enough money, whiskers and good food are given to the waiters of this city they swear they will leave everybody without enough to eat. They have crippled the restaurants of the Hotel Brunswick, the Hotel de Logerot and Delmonico's, and they threaten to do more. Twenty napkin bearers marching out of the Hotel Brunswick at half past seven last evening was the picturesque feature of the day's strike. The language used by some of the half fed guests was picturesque, too. The spectacle of the Marquis de Croisic trotting around with a tureen full of soup also gladdened the hearts of the twenty-four waiters who had suddenly abandoned him. Most of the hotel and restaurant keepers have promised to give their men enough money and good food and to let them grow all the whiskers they choose, but some of them are determined to fight to the end.

N. Y. Central Engine No. 999.
Dewitt Clinton Train.
   ALBANY, April 29.—Superintendent Harrington of the Mohawk division of the Central-Hudson road notified all agents that the Dewitt Clinton train would pass over his division, Monday afternoon, en route for the World's fair. It will be drawn by engine No. 999, just built by the New York Central company, and said to be the finest engine in the world. The train will stop Monday at all the stations in the Mohawk Valley five minutes to give the public an opportunity to see the first train that ever ran on the road.

To Visit the World's Fair.
   NEW YORK, April 29.—The admirals and flag officers of the American and foreign ships in the harbor received an invitation yesterday to visit the World's Fair. A special train was placed at their disposal by the New York Central R. R. and they were asked to name an hour when they could conveniently start. Henry Villard has charge of the arrangements. It is expected the train will start this afternoon.

Two Battles Already Fought in Which Eight Whites Were Killed—The Situation Looked Upon as Being Very Serious—Help Asked From the Government— Indians Well Equipped and More Bloodshed is Imminent.
   DENVER, April 29.—The long threatened war of Navajo Indians against the settlers of the country in the vicinity of their lands has come at last and with it the death of eight settlers.
   Such was the startling news received yesterday by Adjutant General Kennedy. At 9:45 o'clock the adjutant general received a telegram from Lieutenant Plummer, Indian agent of the Navajos, in which he stated that eight white men had been murdered by the Indians, who are now at war with the settlers. He declared that the situation was critical and asked that the troops be called out to prevent further bloodshed. The telegram was addressed to Governor Waite, but he is out of the city and the matter was referred by Secretary Lorentz to the adjutant general.
   Lieutenant Plummer stated that the people below Durango are in a wild state of excitement and grave fears are entertained lest the Indians should continue their warfare along the valley. In his message the lieutenant states that two battles have been fought. The first was early Thursday, when five men were killed, all settlers, while at another encounter three more whites lost their lives and further bloodshed is anticipated.
   The adjutant general forwarded the information to the war department at Washington, and it is not unlikely that orders will be issued from that source for the removal of the troops now quartered at Fort Logan. They can act outside the state and would be of more avail in a conflict with the Indians than state troops.
   Adjutant General Kennedy was inclined [to] regard the situation with a good deal of concern, although expressing the belief that the trouble would not extend very far north. He declined to give copies of the telegrams received and sent by him, stating that it was contrary to orders. In speaking of the affair he said that there are 250 bucks who are raising the disturbance.
   "They are all mounted and equipped," said he, "with the best repeating rifles and have ample supplies for a long war. They are a bad lot and revel in plunder and murder. There has been ill-feeling among them for a long time and it has at last come to a head. The settlers down in that country and the Indians never could get along in peace. The Indians are continually plundering and stealing from the whites who have submitted to the thefts until the past few days.
   "The present conflict was precipitated by the resistance of the whites to the depredations of a band of warriors who raided the stock of the cattlemen.
   "They drove off a large herd of cattle which they took to the mountains. This so incensed the stock men that they organized a large posse of cowboys and went to recover the cattle. The Indians fled on the approach of the cowboys at first and the cattlemen were rejoicing in what they looked upon as a very easy victory and after they had secured their cattle started to return to their ranches. They had proceeded but a very short distance, however, when they were attacked from the flank by the Indians as they were passing through a shallow canyon.
   "A desperate encounter followed in which five cowboys were killed and, it is believed, a number of Indians. The red men from their vantage points up above their adversaries fought with telling effect upon the cattlemen, who were finally repulsed.
   "They took with them a portion of the herd of cattle, which they had recovered, and retreated.
   "The Indians by this time were thoroughly aroused and started on a marauding expedition across the country."
   The reservation of the Navajos is a large one, covering some 12,000 square miles in the northwestern part of New Mexico and northeastern part of Arizona and extends up to the southern line of Colorado. On this there are thousands of Indians who are liable to go on the warpath.
   A band of 250 started from the reservation over in Arizona, crossed the line into New Mexico, going due east to a town called Jennett, going thence on the [San] Juan river and are now in that vicinity.
   A dispatch from Durango says: Three hundred Navajos have captured Tom White's trading post mission at Hog Back on the San Juan river, near Welsh's ranch. The homes of other settlers are surrounded by Indians who are threatening to kill and burn.
   James Hand arrived from the scene of action, which is about 70 miles south of Durango, and after securing a supply of ammunition for the settlers exchanged teams and returned at once.
   Agent Bartholomew wired the Indian department regarding the situation, but as the Navajos are beyond his jurisdiction he can do nothing.

   The situation with regard to Hawaii is this: Jan. 17 the revolutionists formed a provisional government and raised the American flag over their headquarters. President Cleveland ordered the American flag hauled down, and this was done April 1, the president thus disavowing the responsibility of the United Stated government for either the revolution or the new government, which latter, however, still remains at the head of affairs, its president declaring that it can hold out for a year. The American flag was hauled down, but the provisional government [flag] still waves.
   It is satisfactory to know that the fastest cruiser of her size in the world is the new United States man-of-war Detroit. Foreign naval officers will examine her with especial interest. Her contract called for 17 knots an hour, but she can travel 20, and this fact wins for her builders the handsome bonus of $150,000.

   —The board of excise will meet Monday morning at 10 o'clock in Firemen's hall.
   —Mr. Lewis Dickinson has lately started a boot and shoe repair shop at 26 Railroad-st.
   —The Lisle Razzle Dazzle base ball team arrived in town on the 10 o'clock train this morning.
   —As many will be unable to listen to the chimes at 5:30 o'clock this afternoon they will be rung again at 7 P. M. to-day.
   —Mr. L. R. Van Bergen of Tully died yesterday morning. He was a brother of Mrs. H. T. Dana and Mr. P. Van Bergen of this village.
   —The first new mail carrier under the present administration has arrived in town. She is a girl and is chaperoned by Mrs. Theodore Sheeley this morning.
   —Mr. C. E. Rowley has rented his large brick house on Tompkins-st. next to the Standard building to Mrs. C. C. Gay of Syracuse who will next week open a first-class boarding house there.
   —Two stairways have been taken out of the store of F. Daehler during the past week. The cellar has been dug and the foundation walls are now rising up for the addition to the rear of the store.
   —So great has been the pressure of new students at the Central school that it has been necessary to open a new room in the building this week. Miss Ella Van Hoesen has been engaged to take charge of it.
   —We publish at the head of our brevity column to-day a poem quite appropriate to the use of the Grace church chimes to-morrow morning, the hymns referred to in this poem being the ones to be played at that time.
   —An empty malt bottle was this morning found in one of the large package mail boxes on Main-st. by the carrier. As the no-license law is to go into effect Monday probably some one thought it would be well to send all bottles out of town.
   —Mr. John Jordan of 118 Railroad-St., one of Cortland's leading wagon makers, is making a road skeleton that will carry 600 pounds and will weigh only 75 pounds when fully equipped. The wagon is a beauty and is especially designed for speeding roadsters.
   —The contest for the Fitzgerald diamond badge waxes warm among the members of the C. M. B. A. Six applications have been received this week. The contest closes July 1 and it is expected that fifty new members will be initiated by that time.
   —Dr. F. D. Reese was traveling on what appeared to be a hard and zigzag path this noon. He was seated in his shirt sleeves on a pneumatic safety [bicycle] and with the assistance of a friend was learning the intricacies of the wheel. He is probably busy by this time dressing his own wounds.
   —Union temperance meetings will be held at the Presbyterian and First Methodist churches to-morrow evening at 7:30 o'clock. The former will be for men and the latter for women. At the Presbyterian church a male quartet will sing and at the Methodist church the regular choir will furnish the music.
   —Quite an interesting game of base ball was played on Court House hill [presently Cortland State campus--CC editor] yesterday afternoon between the High school nine, under the management of Mr. Robert Barker and a nine composed of scholars in the intermediate department of the Normal, under the management of Mr. Ross Pudney. The high school team won by a score of 25 to 23. The winning team is open for challenges which may be sent to the manager.
   —This will be encouraging news for farmers. It is said that warm weather always comes when the bobolinks get along and their corn can be planted without fear. Mr. A. P. Rowley has kept track of the time when the bobolinks have arrived in past years and he reports the dates as follows: 1883, May 4; 1884, April 23; 1885, May 4; 1886, May 3; 1888, May 27; 1889, May 7; 1890, April 29; 1892, May 2; 1893, April 29. The bobolinks arrived to-day so lookout for warmer weather.
   —We learn from several of our subscribers that occasionally one or another of our carrier boys gives as an excuse for failure to deliver a paper that he has not been given papers enough at the office. This is no excuse whatever, as our delivery clerk knows how many papers each boy is to take out and the boy himself knows. The clerk counts the papers very carefully and then turns them over to the boy who is expected to count them himself before he leaves the office, so that when he starts out he, in every case, has his proper number of papers. If he fails to deliver a paper it is for some other reason and we should esteem it a favor if any person failing to get a paper would at once report the fact at the office. We intend to have the papers delivered promptly and accurately.
   —An interesting letter from Miss Irene A. Head, now of Oakland, Cal., a graduate of the Normal in the class of last June, is to-day found on our sixth page.

No comments:

Post a Comment