Tuesday, December 13, 2016


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, September 1, 1893.

The Rusty Old Wagon Tire Yarn of North Pitcher Nailed.
(DeRuyter Gleaner)
   Many of the people of this part of the State will recall the thrilling tale of the finding of a rusty old wagon tire in a ravine near North Pitcher in April last, which appeared in the Chenango Telegraph. Eli Thornton of Pharsalia, the old resident who made the discovery, the article went on to state, after pulling out a tire from the side of the hill, ''took a stick and poked further into the rock and dirt and found the perfect outlines of a carriage of the style of 1810, and also the crumbled remains of what might have been a horse.''
   ''Thus,'' says the unblushing narrator, "after nearly three-quarters of a century is a mystery which puzzled the police of three continents probably explained. It is a story full of pathos, and one which deserves a place in the history of Chenango county.''
   Then follows a well written tale of the early days when Pitcher Springs was in its glory as a summer resort. Among the wealthy visitors attracted to that now desolate spot were a young gentleman and lady, who graciously fell in love with each other. One day they started out for a carriage ride to North Pitcher and through the ravine, and disappeared as completely as though the earth had swallowed them—as it did in the story. ''It is remembered,'' says the narrator, ''that soon after the couple left North Pitcher a terrific thunder storm came up, and without doubt the couple drove under the projecting ledge of the rock to escape the fury of the storm and that the rain loosened enough of the rock and dirt to completely bury them.''
   Notwithstanding the absurdity of Mr. Thornton's "poking around with a stick in dirt and rock that had lain undisturbed over half a century, sufficiently to reveal the "perfect outlines of a carriage and a horse, this startling story was copied far and near, a Texas gentleman even sending his local paper with the tale back to his old home in Pitcher for its verification. And a strange coincidence was the fact that he sent it to the identical individual who spoiled a stormy day in concocting the tale and forwarding it to The Telegraph very near the 1st of April last.

Some Fake Stories.
   Last Friday the Standard published a long account concerning Eugene A. Hopkins, who disappeared from this town so suddenly last spring, leaving a few hundred sincere mourners. The details of the account stamped it as ficticious [sic]  to most of the Standard's readers, but the gullible editors evidently thought they were publishing a stupendous piece of news. It is perhaps unnecessary to say that there was not a particle of foundation for the story. It deserves to be filed away with the equally false and senseless story that Barnum & Bailey's show would appear here on the 9th of June last.

Close Communion.
   Some twenty-three years ago Mr. D. F. Wallace of this place, commenced the jobbing trade in wall paper and each year his business increased until he had the reputation of being one of the largest jobbers in the state. In fact only one house in the state sold as many goods as he did. Three or four years ago Messrs. O. C. Smith and Wm. McKinney became associated in the business with him under the firm name of Wallace & Co. and the business was extended and considerably more territory covered. They even went into Canada, where they had a large trade. 
   Last fall the leading wall paper manufacturers formed a trust which they called the National Wall Paper Co., and they have frozen out all the jobbers, taking both the manufacturers and jobbers profits to themselves. This fact was learned a week or two ago when Messrs. Wallace and Smith went to New York to make arrangements for their next seasons trade.
   Mr. Smith has retired from the firm of Wallace & Co., and will travel for the National Wall Paper Co., on a large salary. Wallace & Co. will not send out any traveling men this year, but will fill all orders forwarded them through the mails or otherwise.

My Aunt Sally.
   A positive and unique novelty is promised the amusement loving public of this city, Sept. 4th, by the management of the opera house, in the production which is to be presented here of the rural comedy, "My Aunt Sally," which has caused all America to laugh. The comedy abounds in humor and pathos, and is full of fun and excitement, original specialties, thrilling climaxes, startling surprises, latest songs, dances and melodies. "My Aunt Sally" is the laughing hit of the season, and is presented by perfect management, with a perfect company of artists, with perfect scenery and effects, together with perfect costumes and accessories, and a complete perfect band and a perfect orchestra.
   By all means visit "My Aunt Sally," if you desire to enjoy a splendid evening's entertainment. The usual people's popular prices will prevail.

Death of Chas. H. Wheadon.
   Chas. H. Wheadon, died at his home in Elmira last week, aged 81 years, and was brought to Homer for burial Saturday. Mr. Wheadon moved from Homer to Elmira in 1874, previous to which time he was a prominent business man of Homer. He built the Wheadon block and was engaged in the harness business for several years.

Wheadon block fire:

A Barber Giving the Name of Thomas Sullivan Dies Suddenly at the Central House in this Village.
   On the 15th ult. a bright looking young man arrived in Cortland from Rochester and applied to A. W. Stevens for situation in his barber shop in the Grand Central block. One of Mr. Stevens' employes [sic] being away on a vacation, the stranger was given a job until the return of the regular hand. When the regular employee returned the stranger went to the Central House to board, giving his name as Thomas Sullivan. On Sunday the 20th, he complained of being ill and kept his bed most of the time the following day.
   Tuesday he was up and about the hotel and in the afternoon, he suddenly jumped up and started for the barn. On the way he had a severe hemorrhage from the lungs and was obliged to hang on to the fence to keep from falling. He was taken to his room and Drs. Angel and Reese were called to attend him. He was up, and down from his room, to the reading room on Wednesday and Thursday and complained of severe cramps in his stomach.
   He went to his room Thursday afternoon where he died at 5:45 o'clock. The body was taken to Fletcher & Blackman's undertaking rooms soon after, where it was embalmed and left for identification.
   Deceased had dark eyes and hair, was about five feet, eight inches tall and weighed about 120 lbs. In his pockets were receipts from several firms in Syracuse. He informed one of the employes at the hotel that his home was in Hamilton, Can., and that he had a brother in Toronto. Supt. Angel telegraphed to the Chief of Police in Hamilton. Can., and was informed by a telegram Saturday morning that if the appearance of the man corresponded with a description which he gave, he was Thos. Sullivan of that city.
   Chief Sager received a telegram on Friday evening from Jas. Dwyer an undertaker of Hamilton, asking full description, which was wired him. He then wired Chief Sager to forward the remains to Hamilton and the body was sent on Saturday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment