Wednesday, January 11, 2017


Cortland Evening Standard, Saturday, October 14, 1893.

Chaffee Held for the Grand Jury.
   The case of The People vs. George Chaffee was called in police court at 1:51 o'clock this afternoon, when Justice Bull rendered his decision. He said that after carefully looking over the evidence he held the defendant for the grand jury on the charge of manslaughter in the second degree. Shortly after 2 o'clock this afternoon Judge Forbes fixed Chaffee's bail at $1,000, with Maj. A. Sager and Messrs. J. A. Jayne, E. D. Barker and Ira W. Watkins as sureties.
   It will be noticed that the bail fixed is just one-half that upon which he was released pending his examination.

Justice Bull's Court.
   The visitors at police court this morning were numerous and the odor of paint was something almost audible. The floor was the recipient of a fresh coat of drab paint which, it has been stated on good authority, was put on over the mahogany to better match Justice Bull's complexion. He sat at his desk serenely viewing the prisoners as they were taken before him this morning,
   The first prisoner to be brought up was James Detrie, a Saturday night drunk, who was arrested on Main-st. by Officer Jackson. He was sentenced to three dollars or three days. He paid his fine.
   A negro giving his name as William Johnson was arrested on the charge of vagrancy in a D., L. & W. car by Deputy Goldsmith Saturday night. He was promptly discharged, as was also a vagrant giving his name as Ed Smith, who was arrested about the same time by Sheriff Miller.

Emma Goldman.
One Year's Imprisonment.
   NEW YORK, Oct. 16.—Judge Martine, in the court of general sessions, this morning sentenced Emma Goldman, the anarchist, to a year's imprisonment in the penitentiary.

Sanitation for Pilgrims.
   CONSTANTINOPLE, Oct. 16.—Under the threat of the British government to stop Indian pilgrimages to Mecca unless the sanitation of the city be improved, the sultan has ordered the great shereef to cleanse the streets, erect barracks for pilgrims and secure a pure water supply.

His Side of the Robbery and Shooting Affair.
   A STANDARD reporter endeavored to get an interview on Saturday with Charles R. Spear, whom Sheriff Miller arrested in the Mansion House at Homer Friday night after he had stolen about $110 from the butter store of Schermerhorn & Graham and who fired two shots after the arrest was made, but he was in such agony before and after the wound was probed for the bullet that he would not talk. He talked, however, for over an hour with a STANDARD reporter yesterday and gave the following in substance as his version of the affair:
   "I became of age Oct. 7 and then inherited about $2,000. I had no especial need of the money I stole. When you stated in the paper that I entered the store by force, you did not tell what was so and I want you to correct it. When I went to the door I went for the purpose of seeing Graham. The door stood open about two feet and I entered and, after discovering that no one was around, I took the money."
   "How do you account for the tearing out of the orifice into which the bolt of the lock slides?" asked the reporter.
   "I don't know. All I know is that the door stood open about two feet, as I have stated."
   "Who were you firing at in the barroom of the Mansion House?"
   "I was firing at myself. I thought that if I could not behave myself, I would be better dead than alive. I would not harm a hair of John Miller's head for anything. What would I want to do that for? If I had wanted to I could have shot him then as his back was partially turned toward me."
   The prisoner then asked the reporter for the bullet which was taken from his head, as he learned that he had it, and the prisoner desired to keep it. He then went on to explain the accuracy of his revolver in shooting a chipmunk last week, but the conversation was at last brought back to the shooting affair and the prisoner continued, "I said, when I was in the scrape about Charlie Elliott's wheel that if I ever got into the coop again I would go in feet first and if the bullet had been lower I would have come in in that manner."
   In speaking of his wife he said, "We have been married about two years—were married Dec. 31, 1891. The girl is too good for me. I wish you had not said anything about her. She had nothing to do about it. She is one of the best girls that ever struck Homer. Guess you never knew her. She has nice people and a good pedigree."
   The prisoner then stated that he would get out of the scrape all right and asked what the sentence for grand larceny was. The reporter told him that it was imprisonment not to exceed ten years.
   "Did you know that you are guilty of two other crimes which you may be arrested for?" asked the newspaper man.
   "No," replied the prisoner, "what are they?"
   "One is attempted assault on an officer for which you could be sent up for one year and you would have a difficult time proving that you did not fire at Sheriff Miller, and the other is attempted suicide for which you could be imprisoned not to exceed five years."
   The prisoner then said, "I had not thought of this,"' and turned his face toward the wall and the reporter departed.

The Normals Win, but the Referee Gives the Game to Cazenovia.
   An exciting and interesting game of football was played at the driving park, Saturday afternoon, between the teams from the Cortland Normal and Cazenovia Seminary. Ostensibly the team was from Cazenovia, but its strongest players were drawn from St. John's Military academy at Manlius.  The game was called at 2:40, Mr. Hawk of Cazenovia being referee, and Prof. J. Edward Banta of Cortland acting as umpire. Cazenovia won the toss and chose the west goal, giving the ball to the Normals. The ball was put in play by a wedge and carried ten yards before it was declared down. Little gain was made by either side for the next ten minutes, when the full back from Manlius succeeded in making an advance of ten yards for Cazenovia before he was carried over the boundary line and thrown by Lusk. In the fall, Lusk's ankle was turned, and he was obliged to give up the play, and his place was filled by C. P. Miner. For the remainder of the first half, short gains were made by both sides, keeping the ball near the center of the field, where time was called at the end of thirty minutes with the score 0 to 0.
   During the ten minutes intermission the Cazenovia team was put in the hands of the men from Manlius who outlined the game for the second half and used the Manlius signals. By a series of short rushes the ball was carried onto the Normal's territory and finally secured by Pratt of Cazenovia, who by fine running and shrewd dodging carried the ball over the line, scoring a touchdown.
   The ball was punted out by the full back from Manlius and a try [sic] goal was made but failed to go between the posts. The ball was then given to the Normals who put it into play by a punt, Robertson punting the ball from the center across Cazenovia's line. The ball was then brought to the twenty-five yards line and for the next ten minutes playing was exceedingly vigorous on both sides, during which time by a magnificent drop kick Robertson tried for a goal from field, missing by barely three feet.
   The ball was then passed by Robertson to Fralick who by a criss-cross passed it to Knight, who made the run of the game and landed the ball between the Cazenovia's goal posts for a touch down. As this tied the score and gave the advantage to the Normals, as a goal would undoubtedly have been kicked, since the wind was in favor of the Normals, the referee decided that the ball was not in play and no touch down was allowed.
   A few minutes more playing closed the game, with the referee's announcement of score of 4 to 0 in favor of Cazenovia, but really it was 4 to 4, with a probability of 4 to 6 in favor of the Normals on correct decision.
   The best playing for Cazenovia was done by Kinner, Pratt and the men from Manlius. For the Normals, fine playing was done by Robertson, Fralick, Knight, Miner and Oday, while all did fine work. The Normals are placing a fine team in practice, and it is hoped that a large crowd will witness the next game.

Judge Eggleston Puts on Style in Blue Overalls.
   Deputy Clerk H. T. Bushnell yesterday morning received the following letter from County Clerk S. K. Jones telling of the experience of the Cortland people in the Jackson, [Michigan] wreck:

Friday, Oct. 13, 1893.
   FRIEND BUSHNELL—We are nearing Chicago. We think you must have heard the news from our wreck before this reaches you. Our party are all right except a few bruises and some torn clothing. It was the most horrible wreck I ever saw. One car went through another and took one person's head off smooth from the body. From forty to fifty bodies were taken out of the wreck. The car back of ours was torn and splintered, and the one ahead of us had its platform broken and the seats piled up, but we did not have a window broken or a seat torn up. It drove our drawheads, however, in under the car, so that we had to leave it.
   Judge Eggleston was getting upon the train when the collision occurred. We had just been eating breakfast at Jackson, and he was on the platform and was thrown forward. How, he does not know, but when we gathered him up the front of his shirt and undershirt were torn open and his trousers were torn off down to his knees, but there was not a scratch on him. Nearly every one had their breakfast well settled. We got Judge Eggleston a pair of blue overalls, and he is now putting on some style. None of the ladies were hurt except Mrs. Watkins, who had her arm injured, but not seriously.
   I was standing in the aisle, and the first thing I knew I was rapidly changing ends. I struck on the small of my back, and the end of my backbone is somewhat upset, but I shall come out all right. Our wives witnessed a sight they will never forget.
   Our train was standing on the track and the New York Central section came down on us at the rate of from twenty to thirty miles per hour without any warning at 9 o'clock in the morning in broad day light. Their air brakes did not work. Five cars were reduced to kindling wood in an instant and two more had their ends driven into each other. It is a great wonder that twice as many were not killed. We shall all be sore and lame to-morrow, but we feel thankful it was no worse for our people.

   Mrs. Helen J. Moore, this morning, received a letter from her daughter, Mrs. J. E. Eggleston, in which she describes many of the things mentioned above in Mr. Jones' letter. She said she saw through the car window her husband thrown by the collision and then she herself was pitched violently from her seat. When she looked out again she saw Judge Eggleston lying beside the track with his clothing torn as described in Mr. Jones' letter, and from its appearance she thought he was disemboweled, and was dreadfully frightened. She was thankful he wasn't hurt. She herself had a very lame arm, but she thought nothing of it in comparison with the thought of what might have been.
   Several people in Cortland have received letters from their friends. One person writes that County Clerk Jones was of great assistance in cheering them up. He succeeded in making them all laugh in spite of their solemn feelings.

Everybody Entertained.
   "Squire Haskins" and company were greeted by a crowded house at the opera house last evening. The large audience was not disappointed in their expectations of witnessing a good performance, everybody being highly entertained from the rising of the curtain until the close of the last act. Mr. Arthur C. Sidman was at his best, and his personation [sic] of the country squire kept the audience convulsed with laughter almost continually. His make-up is complete, his portrayal of the part is perfect—not overdone—and his quaint, droll sayings would make an Egyptian mummy smile.
   Little Blanche Wright, the wonderful child actress and dancer, was warmly received and came in for her full share of applause. Her singing and dancing especially captivated the audience. The specialities [sic] introduced in the third and last act were very clever.—Elmira Daily Advertiser, Oct. 4.
   "Squire Haskins" will appear at the Cortland Opera House on Friday evening, Oct. 20.

   —The first snowstorm of the season today.
   —A meeting of the board of trustees will be held this evening.
   —The rainfall in Cortland for the twenty-four hours ending at 6 P. M. on Saturday, Oct. 14, was 2.25 inches.
   —The following telephones have been connected with the Cortland exchange: Holden & Seager, Howard & Co., New York Wire Cloth Co., and Maxon & Starin of Homer.
   —The Ladies' and Pastor's Aid society of the Homer-ave. church will serve their annual chicken pie supper next Wednesday evening, Oct. 18, from 6 to 9 o'clock. All are invited.
   —Officer Shirley of Homer took Charles, alias DeVer, Richer to Homer on the 3:20 street car this afternoon, at which place his examination will be held at 10 o'clock to-morrow morning.
   —The report of the superintendent of the railway mail service for the past four years shows that the percentage of killed and injured in railway accidents is pretty high among the postal clerks. There were 32 killed and 553 injured.
   —During the month of September last, 11,061 male and 10,736 female immigrants landed in New York. Of this total 21,797 were aliens and 1,928 American citizens. Germany led as to nationality, with Ireland second, Russia third and Sweden fourth.
   —Charles R. Spear was arraigned in police court at 3:36 o'clock this afternoon on the charge of grand larceny. He pleaded "not guilty," waived examination and was held in $500 bail for his appearance before the grand jury. He was committed to jail till bail could be procured.
   —The jury in Justice Williams' branch of the circuit, in the case of the Robert Gere bank against the members of the Cortland Corset company, Samuel E, Welch, Byron E. Pierce, and Anna F. Rheubottom, returned a verdict for the full amount claimed Saturday, $2,077. 01. The claim was upon a note discounted by John Dunfee at the bank, the defense being usury.—Syracuse Courier.
   —"An evening at Prof. Bardwell's" is as true a symbol for an evening of special enjoyment as is any symbol of chemistry which the professor teaches to his classes at the Normal. It is always true. It was true last Saturday night when Prof. and Mrs. Bardwell entertained the professor's class in the Presbyterian Sunday-school, with a few other friends. There are thirty-seven members of the class and nearly all were present. Not a little was added to the pleasure of the occasion by several fine solos by Miss Mabel Whitcomb, with guitar accompaniment. Cake, ice cream and chocolate were served, and the late hour at which the class separated was so suggestive that some one proposed that they stay right along and study the Sunday-school lesson then and there. However, this idea did not meet with general favor, and every one was safe at home before the lights went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment