Wednesday, January 4, 2017


D. L. & W. R. R. station at Cortland, N. Y.
Cortland Evening Standard, Saturday, October 7, 1893.

Investigation of Two Affidavits Made by Joseph Rose.
   The Chaffee examination was adjourned at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon till 10 o'clock this morning when Joseph Rose was put on the stand. The district attorney examined him and he said that "I know engine No. 7 and have seen the defendant on several occasions. On two occasions I was left in charge of the engine from one-half an hour to one hour while Chaffee went to supper. Each time was on Sunday afternoon and about the same time of the day. I have seen the defendant on several occasions wipe and coal up the engine. He was always there when I was at the yard except the two occasions I have mentioned. I saw the defendant perform his duties two or three weeks before the accident.
   In the cross-examination the defendant's attorney, Mr. John Courtney, examined the witness about two affidavits he made after the accident, one in the office of the Wire Fabric Co. at Homer and another one in Attorney Jenney's office in Syracuse. In describing the latter he said: "Detective Sevenoakes came down to the shop about 3 o'clock one afternoon a week or ten days after the other affidavit was made and told me that he wanted me to go to Syracuse with him and said that I would lose no time at the shop. I got on the cars and went to Syracuse. Did not pay any fare, but rode in the baggage car with Sevenoakes. After I got up to Syracuse, Sevenoakes, Kistler and Jenney said they were going to supper. The former gave me fifty cents to buy my supper. I came home that night and did not pay my fare. They passed me down but gave me no money except the fifty cents with which to purchase my supper. The affidavit was written in Col. Jenney's office. Kistler and Sevenoakes were present. Sevenoakes said he wanted to take me up to Col. Jenney's office. He said that my other affidavit—the one made previously in the office of the Wire Fabric Co.—was a little damaging to the railroad company and to Chaffee. He said that Master Mechanic Kistler would be there and explain to me how some things about the engine that I did not understand were operated. Master Mechanic Kistler did not speak a word to me while I was there. He did not talk about it in my presence.
   "Can you give the contents of either one of the affidavits, which you made relative to the question, at the instance of the railroad company's attorneys?" asked Mr. Courtney.
   "I can't answer by yes or no," replied the witness. "I can go on and state what I swore to, but don't know whether it would be the contents of the affidavit or not. I cannot give a single word that was used in either one of them. I can read and write, but cannot read writing. Neither affidavit was prepared till after I visited the two offices. I signed both by writing my name. I did not have any talk with Sevenoakes about a place on the railroad. I have not applied to the railroad company for a place since the accident. I never worked for the company. I was left in charge on the two Sundays when Chaffee went to supper. I have talked with District Attorney Squires about the testimony I was to give to-day. I have not talked with Jenney since the examination began. I did not have time to read the affidavit I made in Jenney's office and I could not have read it anyway. I did not have time to get any one else to read it to me before the train left. It was read to me all at once by Col. Jenney and was in his hand writing. I have never seen either one of the affidavits since the time they were made and do not know where they are now. I never, except on this one occasion, rode to Syracuse and back on a pass."
   As the fire bell struck for noon the examination was adjourned till Tuesday at 10 A. M.

Chauncey M. Depew.
   —Those in the vicinity of the East Side reading-room will remember the Sunday service at 4 o'clock P. M.
   —The Little Tycoon comic opera company has arrived in town and will show at the Opera House to-night.
   —The conductors and brakemen on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railroad were measured for their winter uniforms yesterday.
   —D. E. Kinney's stallion, Nickel Plate, lowered his record of 2:27 1/4 to 2: 24 3/4 yesterday, over a heavy track, and in a hard race at Cumberland, Md.
   —A Preble bicycle rider is said to have got the fashionable and senseless "hump" on to such a degree that he has knocked out several teeth with his knees.
   —We publish in our sixth page to-day the splendid address of Hon. Chauncey M. Depew at the twenty-fifth anniversary exercises of Cornell university. It should be read by every one.
   —Mr. F. M. Quick, the Grand Union Tea man, is the happy father of a boy baby. His friends found a choice selection of cigars in the store this morning and Mr. Quick was passing them out by the handful.
   —There's nothing small about Peddler White. While driving past a house in Taylor the other day where a wedding knot had just been tied, he stopped his cart and sent in a present to the groom. It was a rattle box.—DeRuyter Gleaner.
   —S. M. Benjamin erected in the new Catholic cemetery yesterday a very large and fine cottage monument for the Conway family. The monument is of dark Barre granite. He also set up in the same cemetery one for the late Anthony Ready. This is of the celebrated Sutherland Falls marble.
   —The private car of Hon. Chauncey M. Depew passed through Cortland last night on its way from Syracuse, where Mr. Depew had attended the Republican state convention, to Ithaca, where he was to attend the anniversary exercises of Cornell university. The car came in on the 6:32 train, and a special engine on the E., C. & N. R. R. met it and proceeded at once to Ithaca. The "genial Chauncey" was just seated at the tea table in his pleasant dining-room when the car was in Cortland.
   — Last week we mentioned the intelligent dog that accompanies the mail-carrier on the West Hill route. A carrier calls at our office to add further testimony of the usefulness of the canine to the government. It appears that a new carrier substituted on the route the other day, and became confused in regard to the proper direction to take in a cross path. He knew that the dog usually went over the route and he decided the best way was to follow him. The dog led him safely over the way to the full satisfaction of the United States mail department.—Ithaca Democrat.
   —A Cazenovia gentleman, whose name we will not mention "out of respect for his family," says the Cazenovia Republican, came near being run over by the early southbound train on the E., C. N. Monday morning. He was walking south on the track just south of the Albany-st. crossing as the train came through. The bell rang for the crossing, as usual, and the whistle was also blown, but our friend paid no attention to it. Engineer Joe. Reidy of Canastota was at the throttle, and when he saw that the pedestrian was apparently unconscious of danger, he reversed the engine, set the air brakes and made a remark or two that will not do to print, all in the same breath. The train came to a standstill with a jerk that nearly threw the passengers out of their seats, and with the pilot of the engine almost on its untended victim, who nimbly skipped out of the way—after the danger was over.

Annual Statement of President Schurman—Increase of Students—Double the Endowment Needed.
   ITHACA, Oct. 7.—The three day celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the opening of Cornell university began to-day. President Schurman's first annual statement to the trustees this afternoon contains much condensed information not only regarding the present condition but also regarding the growth of the university during the quarter century of its existence. The productive capital of the university has increased from $735,000 in 1868 to $6,100,000 in 1893; and the buildings (of which there are 28), equipment, and grounds are worth about $2,500,000 more. The income in 1892-3 was $502,000. The library, which is housed in a splendid fireproof building, now has 150,000 bound volumes and 27,000 pamphlets,—about 30,000 volumes having been received as gifts and 10,000 purchased during the last year.
   Beginning in 1868 with 26 professors and instructors, the university now has over 150. In 1892-3 there were just 1,700 students, the increase over 1891-2 being 163. Of special departments the most rapid growth has been in the College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, the Law school, and the Graduate school, though the number of students in Arts and Science has doubled in the last eight years. As an illustration of the hold which Cornell has taken on the country as a whole, it is significant that during the past seven years it has received in the undergraduate department 435 advanced students from 174 other universities, and in the graduate department 454 graduates from 101 other universities. From 10 to 13 per cent of the students are women. Besides the 1,700 regular students, there were in 1892-3 170 persons, most of them teachers, enrolled in the summer school, and 48 in the winter school of agriculture; making in all 1,918 in the university.
   President Schurman shows how greatly the requirements for admission have been raised since 1868, the most important single advance having been made during the present year. Special attention has been given to English, and largely through the influence of the university, the Regents have lengthened the course in English in all Regents' schools in New York.
   During the 25 years of its existence the state of New York has never given the university a cent. It is now, however, spending $50,000 for a new building for the College of Agriculture—Governor Flower having recommended the centralization of all scientific work in agriculture at Cornell, which is the Land Grant college of the state. But the university as a whole trusts to private beneficence for its support. Henry W. Sage has in the past invested $1,250,000 in gifts to it, Hiram Sibley endowed in it the college that bears his name, and John McGraw and others have made donations of considerable amounts. Several gifts, some of them amounting to $50,000, have been received during the past year. President Schurman shows that a university as broad in its scope and as democratic in its spirit as Cornell needs a greatly enlarged income, and he makes an appeal for doubling the endowment, and particularizes the objects for which $3,000,000 are needed immediately. As the university gives free tuition to about 600 students from New York—including four from each of the 128 assembly districts—the appeal he thinks should receive special consideration from New Yorkers.

Photo copied from Grip's Historical Souvenir of Cortland.
But Party Lines were not Drawn in the Reception which was Tendered to Him by His Friends.
   At about 9 o'clock last evening the Cortland City band met in front of the Democratic headquarters on Railroad-st. and rendered a few selections. The Democrats gradually assembled till at 10:30 o'clock, when the band marched to the D., L. & W. station, and fully five hundred citizens formed in line for the purpose of tendering a reception to Mr. Hugh Duffey, who was expected on that train. The Democrats of course formed the greater part of the procession, but there was also a representation of Republicans and quite a number of Prohibitionists, all of whom appreciated the honor conferred upon the town by the Democrats in the nomination of a Cortland man for state treasurer. The Woman's Suffrage and People's party did not seem to be represented. The station and platform were crowded and fire crackers, red fire, the Forty-fifth Separate Co.'s cannon, Roman candles and the band each did their part in letting Mr. Duffey know that he was warmly received, while a cheer, which might have been heard miles, went up from the large crowd as Mr. Duffey and the delegates stepped from the train.
   The committee who had the reception in charge sent fireworks to Homer and as the train passed through that place there was a large crowd at the station to congratulate him. All that could get on boarded the train and came to Cortland. These together with the large crowd already assembled formed themselves into a procession which did honor to the Democratic nominee for state treasurer. Mr. Duffey and the delegates were escorted by the band up Railroad-st. to Greenbush-st. and from Greenbush to Mr. Duffey's home on Port Watson-st. The air was filled with colored balls of fire from the Roman candles, while pounds upon pounds of red fire illuminated the streets so brilliantly that the electric lights were cast in the shade. Messrs. A. E. Hitchcock and Frank E. Plumb marshaled the procession.
   When Mr. Duffey reached home he ran up the steps, kissed his wife and family, and another cheer was heard. Mr. D. W. Van Hoesen stepped to the front of the porch and made a brief and hearty speech of welcome. At the close of his speech three rousing cheers were given for Mr. Duffey and three more for "Dave."
   Mr. Duffey replied in a few words in which he told how he had been taken completely by surprise by the demonstration, which he heartily appreciated. He spoke of his misgivings as to his being nominated, but when he saw the work that his friends had done for him all over the state, friends that he had not seen for from fifteen to thirty years, he was proud of his friends and the honor which they had given him and felt heartily grateful to them for their efforts and if his nomination was ratified at the polls he said that he would do his best to properly perform his duties. He said in closing, "I thank you, heartily, Republicans and Democrats. This demonstration was a great surprise to me, but I will remember it always. I thank you, my friends, I thank you."
   The cannon boomed and at the close of the speech-making a tumultuous cheer arose from the crowd and this was followed by cries of "Ed!" "Ed!" "Ed Duffey!" Mr. Edwin Duffey stepped to the front of the porch and made a brief but pointed address. After he had been given three cheers, Delegates E. W. Hyatt and James Dougherty were called for and they in turn each said a few words and were cheered.
   Mr. Duffey invited all into the house, but the crowd was so great that the house would not begin to hold them all and so Mr. Duffey stood in the hall while in single file the crowd marched into the house, shook hands with the nominee and passed out the side door. Mr. Duffey treated the boys to cigars and the eighteenth shot of the cannon boomed out, the band played, and after one more cheer the crowd dispersed to their homes.
   A great deal of credit is due the committee, consisting of Messrs. John F. Dowd, John Morris, A. J. McSweeny, F. C. Straat, James McDonald, Benjamin F. Taylor and Charles Reilly, who, considering the short time in which they had to arrange for the reception, made it such a success. Messrs. P. J. Calahan, R. McMahon, R. Dwyer and Adam Harkness kept Forty-fifth's cannon going, and this added not a little to the effect of the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment