Saturday, January 7, 2017

THE CHAFFEE CASE—PART SIX, AND CORTLAND BUSINESS PROFILES



D. L. & W. Station, Cortland, N. Y.
Cortland Evening Standard, Wednesday, October 11, 1893.

CONFLICTING EVIDENCE.

The Chaffee Examination Drawing to a Close.

   Hudson Hopkins was put on the stand at 2:38 P. M. yesterday afternoon. He said, "I reside in Cortland and was at work engineering on the night of June 5 at Hitchcock's. I saw an engine going up the D., L. & W. main track shortly after 11 o'clock that night. I was in the boiler-room door at the time. It was on the southbound track going about as fast as any body could run. I did not see any one in the engine at that time. There was a torchlight on the head end of the tender. I did not see any other lights. I went to the depot. I was about fifty feet from the engine when it went up the track. I was not out of sight of the track. Did not see any one following the engine nor did I meet any one going up the track as I went down. I first notified Officer Goldsmith on the steps at the station. I then notified the telegraph operator. I then went up the track to the shop. I do not remember seeing any one going up the track. I know Chaffee by sight. I saw him the night of the accident on the Elm-st. crossing about half an hour after the wreck. He was standing still when I saw him. I do not know which way he went. A person would have to run pretty fast to keep up with the engine. I was between the station and Hitchcock's shop when I heard the collision. Did not see Chaffee again that night." 
   Cross examination—"I know what I have heard called a blind switch. I have known for three years of blind switches being used by railroads. I knew that engine No. 7 was kept in the yard when not in use. If the D., L. & W. railroad company had kept the engine on a track protected by a blind switch I do not think it could have got out and caused an accident. I think it would have been impossible. I have known of the D., L. & W. company having blind switches on the road."
   At this juncture the defendant’s attorney wanted to "see a man for ten minutes" and an adjournment was taken. The [inner] man was satisfied and the witness continued.
   "Chaffee had his working clothes and overalls on and an overshirt I think. No one was with him when I saw him. We did not speak. I did not observe how he appeared. I do not know which way he was going or which way he went. I think more than ten minutes had elapsed from the time I heard the crash till I saw Chaffee on the Elm-st. crossing. I could not say precisely how much more time elapsed. I will not swear and be positive that more than fifteen minutes elapsed. When I returned from the station I went immediately to my work. I went to the scene of the accident after I had seen Chaffee on the Elm-st. crossing. I did not see Chaffee at the wreck. I went there about 12:30 o'clock. I have been sworn before and signed my evidence taken by the coroner."
   "Did you swear to the following?" asked Mr. Courtney. "I saw Mr. Chaffee ten or fifteen minutes after I got back from the station. He stood on the Elm-st. crossing when I came out. Suits was there on crossing."
   "I swore that Joe Suits was there."
   "Did you answer that ‘I am not personally acquainted with Mr. Chaffee but know him by sight. I saw him that night at the crossing, where I worked, after the wreck—the Elm-st. crossing. He was going north. He stood on the crossing and then started north. I saw Chaffee after I got back from depot, ten or fifteen minutes after I got back. He stood on crossing when I came out. Joe Suits was there on crossing.’ Did you swear to all this? "
   "Yes, but I did not understand it in that way."
   "What have you to say to this conflicting evidence?" asked the defendant’s attorney.
   "Chaffee was standing still, was the answer. I did not see him going toward the scene of the accident during that night at all."  
   The attorney did not get the answer he wanted and repeated the question. "Did you on June 9 last, before Coroner W. J. Moore, swear to the following statement?" The defendant's attorney here repeated the same question as given above and the witness said, "I swore to that statement, I suppose, but did not understand it in that way."
   "I have talked with nobody since I was sworn in the case by the coroner. I have talked since being subpoenaed with some people about it."
   "Did you testify as follows: "I saw Mr. Chaffee after I got back from the depot ten or fifteen minutes after I got back?"
   "Yes, sir."
   "Did you on June 9 last before Coroner Moore swear that yon saw defendant ten or fifteen minutes after collision on the Elm-st. crossing going north? "
   "Yes, sir, but I did not understand it is that way."
   "Why did you so testify then?"
   The witness did not reply to this question, and was then excused.
   Officer Goldsmith was the next witness called. The first part of his testimony was substantially the same as heretofore published. When, however, the question was raised in the cross examination, "Did you learn upon investigation that Chaffee was at the wreck immediately after the accident?" The witness endeavored to get around the question without answering by yes or no, and the question was asked him several times. He answered in the affirmative. Both witness and attorney appeared to be rather angry and the witness, after again being asked the question, answered with a loud "No."
   "Have you not sworn within two minutes, in the hearing of the court and everybody else that you did learn that night that Chaffee was at the scene of the accident?'' asked Mr. Courtney.
   Mr. Squires objected to this testimony on the ground that (1) it was incompetent, (2) that the defendant's attorney called out the answer "no" and that he cannot now discredit or impeach that evidence, it having been called out and the defendant is bound by the answer.
   The objection was sustained on the ground that the defendant must swear some one else to prove the fact of the result of his investigation.
   The defendant's attorney then asked the question, "Did you learn after a thorough investigation as an officer of the village after the accident in question that George Chaffee had been on the scene soon after the wreck occurred and did you obtain that information from a reliable source?''
   This was objected to, but the objection was overruled. The witness answered, "Yes, I learned it."
   A discussion then followed as to adjournment and the court told the lawyers if the case was adjourned till a certain time he wanted them to be on hand promptly. Both faithfully promised to do so and the case was adjourned till 10 o'clock this morning.
   The examination was called at 11:15 o'clock this morning and as Mr. Goldsmith could not be found, Arthur Harrington was put on the stand. He testified in the direct examination to substantially the same statement as heretofore published.
   Cross examination—"I was sworn  before the coroner's jury. Was at the station with a young lady friend."
   Who was she?" asked Mr. Courtney.
   "I will have to think," smilingly replied the witness. Even the court could not suppress a smile and the witness continued. "Her name was (out of regard for the lady's feelings we withhold her name) and she lived in Binghamton at that time, but she lives in Homer now."
   "Were you thinking of that engine or that lady that night?"
   Objected to and objection was sustained.
   "I do not know whether there was any one on the engine or not. I thought I saw some one. I will not testify that I saw anybody. When I answered the district attorney and said that I thought I saw some one on the engine, that is as strong as I wish to put my evidence on that question. I did not see George Chaffee on that engine that night. I can't tell how the person that I thought I saw was dressed. Could not tell whether it was a young or old person. I never knew George Chaffee."
   Re-direct examination—"I thought I saw the legs of a person on the engine. Could not tell who it was."
   Mr. Courtney asked to have the evidence of this witness stricken from the record as to what he thought he saw on the engine that night, upon the ground that it is utterly incompetent and that the witness' thoughts cannot be put in as evidence against a person. The motion was refused by the court.
   Re-cross examination—"I know [Detective] Sevenoakes by sight, I have not talked with any of the agents and attorneys of the railroad company. Don’t know whether the man I thought I saw wore boots or shoes."
   While the evidence was being read to the witness the defendant’s attorney looked over the testimony given at the coroner's inquest.
   Re-cross examination—"I thought I saw the person on the west side of the engine. I was on the station platform. It was a very dark night. I think the man I thought I saw was sitting down. The engine was about the middle of Railroad-st."
   "I understand that you desire to swear that while you were on the steps of the D., L & W. depot and the engine was moving north on the switch you thought you saw the legs of the man on the west side of the engine?" asked the defendant’s attorney.
  "Yes, sir, I was on the northwest corner of the platform about as far as across this room from the engine."
   This concluded this witness' testimony. The examination was adjourned till 1:15 o'clock this afternoon.


Railroad crossings on Port Watson Street (1894 map segment.) Wickwire factory located at bottom of map.
STRUCK BY THE CARS.

Mr. James McDonald Didn't See the E., C. & N. Train.

   Mr. James McDonald is a prosperous farmer at Mt. Roderick, a small hamlet on the direct road to Cincinnatus and three miles this side [west] of that place. Yesterday afternoon he started to return from Cortland to his home, leaving this place at about 4 o'clock. He was driving a spirited pair of gray horses attached to a lumber wagon and had on part of a load of feed in bags. As he was crossing the E., C. & N. tracks on Port Watson-st., he was struck by freight train No. 11 which was going east.
   It seems strange how this could happen for there is nothing to hide the view of a train coming from the junction for quite a distance from the crossing. But for some reason Mr. McDonald didn't notice it until the train was almost upon him, and he thought it was too late to stop. It proved, however, to be too late to cross, for the engine struck his wagon broadside throwing the wagon and load off in the ditch and throwing Mr. McDonald about thirty feet. The horses went on toward home with a rush. After crossing the Port Watson bridge the horses ran into the rear end of Mr. Timothy Rose's wagon doing more or less damage to it, and then continued their mad race until they became tired and slackened their speed and were caught near the foot of McGrawville hill.
   It is a wonder that Mr. McDonald was not killed. As it was he was badly hurt. Col. Place was one of the first to reach the scene. He recognized the wounded man as his old comrade in the One Hundred and Fifty-seventh regiment, and knew that his sister was Mrs. Jennie Graves of 43 Groton-ave.
   While others picked Mr. McDonald up Col. Place hastened off to break the news to Mrs. Graves. Mr. McDonald was placed in a buggy which was driven uptown. But the driver failed to get the word as to where his passenger was to be carried. Mr. McDonald seemed dazed and unable to tell who he was or where he wanted to go, though he could talk plainly.
   When Main-st. was reached a halt was made and a consultation followed. No one there knew Mr. McDonald and it was decided to take him to the hospital. But when they had came to that place Mr. McDonald so far recovered as to tell a STANDARD man who he was and where his sister lived. He was at once taken to Mrs. Graves' and Dr. Higgins was sent for. He made an examination and found that his breast bone was broken and one of the…bones of the right hand. Besides that his face was very badly cut and bruised. There was a cut an inch long in his lower lip on the left side and two teeth were nearly knocked out. Dr. Higgins made him as comfortable as possible and to-day he is doing as well as could be expected. It is a wonder though that he was not killed outright.

BREVITIES.
   —Homer is to-day contributing its full share of sensations. They are all detailed in the Homer letter.
   —Among the list of patents just granted appears a patent granted to S. W. Cately of Cortland on a thill coupling.
   —MR. JOSEPH ALEXANDER of Pitcher has returned from the World's Fair and is visiting at Mr. Morris Burdick's on his way home.
   —There will be a regular convocation of Cortland Chapter, No. 104, Royal Arch Masons, this evening at 8 P. M. The Royal Arch will be conferred.
   —A divorce was yesterday granted at Syracuse to a couple each seventy-eight years of age. They had been married nearly fifty years. Poor old couple.
   —There will be a regular meeting of the Royal Arcanum to-night at 8 o'clock.
   —The Forty-fifth Separate company will hold a dance in the armory Friday evening, Oct. 27. Daniel's full orchestra have been secured to furnish the music.
   —Lincoln lodge, No. 119, I. O. O. F., will hold a sociable at Mr. W. F. Kelley's residence, 7 Garfield-st., on Wednesday evening, Oct. 11. Every one is invited.
  
HOMER DEPARTMENT.
FIGHT AND STABBING AFFRAY.
   A report was circulated on the street last evening that there had been a fight on Main-st., in which a man was stabbed. It was found that at about 7 o'clock several men partially intoxicated got into an altercation in Murphy's saloon. The row was the sequel to a fight which occurred here the Fourth of July when a man by the name of Richardson was badly handled by some local toughs.
   As the argument became very heated the men left the saloon to settle their difficulty outside. They went to the rear of the saloon and at the end of the alley between Murphy's and the Brockway block the fight took place. The principals in the row were Wm. Butler and Chas. Richardson. It appears that the crowd were all against Richardson and he was handled very roughly. He became desperate and drew a large pocket knife and stabbed Butler three times. Butler cried out that he was stabbed and Richardson ran away. Butler was bleeding profusely from his wounds, but was able to walk to Dr. Green's office and not finding him he went to Dr. Bradford's office, which is in the second story of the Brockway block. Dr. Bradford was away, so he went into E. W. Hyatt's office across the hall, where Dr. F. H. Green soon attended to his wounds. The flow of blood was soon stopped and, although he was very weak from the loss of blood, he was able to walk to his home.
   Later on a warrant was sworn out for Richardson's arrest and after searching all over town the man was found by Officer Shirley in the upper deck of a stock car on the railroad. With the assistance of Officer Jones he was arrested and taken to the lockup. He was committed to the jail for two days to recover from his drunk, when he will be tried for assault. Richardson and Butler are both very large and powerful men.
   Richardson goes by a number of aliases and is considered a hard character. He is the man who took a horse in Cortland about a year ago and led the officers quite a chase through Randall's lot. He claims that he would not have shown his knife, had he not been pitched upon by the whole crowd.
   When found he had the knife open in his pocket. It was a large pocketknife. One of Butler's wounds was in the neighborhood of his left lung, and, had it been a couple of inches higher, would have probably proved fatal.
_________________________
   A very peculiar circumstance occurred yesterday evening at the residence of Lemuel Bates on James-st. At about 6:30 Mrs. Bates heard a knock on the outside of the house. She was startled by the sound and immediately went out to investigate. She found a large fat partridge lying on the ground with its neck broken.

BUSINESSMEN OF CORTLAND.

CHARLES H. WARREN.
Dexter House.
   In a detailed review of Cortland, including comment upon her institutions worthy of mention, there is perhaps no line of houses more appropriate for special attention or affording more universal interest to all classes of people than our hotels. In confirmation of this assertion it is only necessary to refer to the Dexter House as an illustration of its correct [inclusion.] This house possesses the advantage of being in the heart of the business portion of the town. It is about a 48-room house, well lighted and furnished in a sumptuous manner. The dining-room, which is one of the Dexter House's chief attractions, is a large, airy room, resplendent with silver ware and white linen, and supplied with all the delicacies of the market and season, cooked in a manner that would satisfy the most faultfinding. Mr. Warren conducts in conjunction with the hotel, a barn for the accommodation of the traveling public. There is also a bar connected where can be had the most palatable of soft drinks.
   This hotel has been under the management of its present proprietor about 3 years. He has supplied every modern convenience for the comfort and enjoyment of guests, and is specially prepared to take charge of either large or small hunting or chowder parties. In fact the Dexter House is complete in every sense, while the proprietor, Mr. Chas. H. Warren, is a gentleman of long experience in the hotel business, affable and genial he makes every patron feel perfectly at home and well pleased with his lot. As a business man he is highly esteemed by all who know him, so should you visit this portion of New York state, place this resort on your calling list and you will be more than pleased with the treatment you receive.

PASSAGE, OVERTON & SARVAY.
Boots and Shoes.
   Among the latest advents in the commercial arena of Cortland is the above mentioned firm, who are extensive dealers in ladies', misses and children's shoes, rubbers, etc., also men's and boy's boots and shoes in infinite variety. Although this house was only established since September 11th, this year, its proprietors have had many years experience in this business. They also conduct a store in Towanda, Pa., which is conceded to be the largest shoe store in that town. Messrs. Passage, Overton and Sarvay are careful and close buyers, and thorough judges of quality and value, and conversant with all the requirements of their business. The stock is kept up with frequent invoices of all the latest novelties and most approved patterns, selected with the greatest care for their trade, and embraces a wide range in the varied departments, and all quoted at the lowest market prices.
   The proprietors, Messrs. H. C. Passage, Frank Overton and M. E. Sarvay, are gentlemen widely known as men of energy and broad-mindedness, which, coupled with great executive ability, and conservative judgment makes them rank as leaders. They are ever catering to the public's wants in a most satisfactory manner, thus their success is but the well-merited reward of energy, enterprise, and perseverance. Personally they are gentlemen regarded by the entire community as honest, upright business men and honorable citizens.


F. W. CLARK.

Groceries, Provisions, Fruit, Etc.

   Standing in the front rank as one of the leading grocery establishments of Cortland is that of Mr. F. W. Clark. No similar house enjoys a better trade, as it is a house which, in the excellence of the stock, is fully up to the highest standard. The lines carried represented almost everything in the provision line as well as all kinds of staple and fancy groceries, flour, canned goods, fruit, vegetables and confectionery. This business was established in 1880 by F. W. Clark, who has since conducted it with great success and satisfaction. It has always been conducted upon the broad plane of equitable dealings. Popular prices prevail, while at the same time patrons receive the most courteous treatment.
   Mr. Clark is a gentleman of long practical experience and is widely known, highly esteemed in business circles as an energetic, clearheaded business man; honorable, liberal and fair he well merits the success he has achieved, while personally he is a genial gentleman with whom it is a pleasure to deal.

HOLDEN & SEAGER.
Coal, Lime, Plaster, Shingles. Etc.
   The subject of this sketch, Messrs. Holden & Seager, have been associated with the coal trade of this city for the past five years, and that their business venture was a success is attested by the volume of their transactions. Their yards are thoroughly equipped with every facility for the speedy and efficient conduct of the business. Spacious and commodious it has all the requisite conveniences for the loading and discharging of freight. The stock carried is complete and extensive and comprises the choicest coal, lime, plaster, shingles, etc. The facilities of this house embrace shipments direct from the seat of production and terms and prices are such as to give permanent satisfaction. Sales are made by the carload or ton, and misrepresentations are never indulged in. Their offices are located at No. 39 Main and 27 Squires-sts. Messrs. Holden & Seager are wide awake business men, prompt and honorable in the fulfillment of all their engagements, while personally they are of the most popular residents of Cortland.

MAHER BROS.
Clothing, Hats, Gents' Furnishings, Goods, Etc.
   One of the most complete and extensive stocks of ready-made clothing and gentlemen's furnishing goods to be found in Cortland may be seen at this well known clothing house, No. 17 Main Street, as conducted by Messrs. Maher Bros.; the storeroom which is large, commodious and well-arranged is filled to its utmost with an extensive line of the most desirable and fashionable goods in the market. In ready-made clothing the assortment is most complete, embracing men's, youth's and boys' suits in all sizes, designs and patterns, all the goods being of excellent quality, and as well made and trimmed as custom goods. A perfect fit can here be secured as well as if the material were cut to order, and at half the price. Here is also carried in stock a large and varied stock of Hats and Gent's Furnishings.
   Messrs. Maher Bros. succeeded Cook & Westcott some five years ago, and by enterprise, energy and strict attention to business have built up a splendid and constantly increasing trade. They are gentlemen of high personal and commercial integrity, and are entitled to the esteem and respect of the community with whose progressive development they have been so closely allied. The enterprise of the firm of Maher Bros., in purchasing stock of goods in their line, is well known to our readers. The only requisite they ask is not how large the stock is, but whether it can be bought so as to sell the goods at a low figure.
   Our citizens will remember the purchase by Maher Bros. of the J. E.
Briggs' stock of clothing of Cortland, the Kelley & Co. stock of hats of Utica, and the purchase of the Pundy stock of clothing of Johnstown, N. Y. Maher Bros., being large manufacturers themselves, know the value of a stock of goods and when they find people that want to dispose of their stock they are always ready to purchase if the price is low enough. All of these stocks were disposed of in Cortland, thus giving our citizens the benefit of them.
   Maher Bros. have been in business in Utica twenty-two years, and the success that they have met there can be measured by their recent grand opening of a new store in the upper part of the city. The Utica Herald of Sept. 14th, 1893, estimated the number of people at the opening as over (15,000) fifteen thousand. The firm of Maher Bros. consists of six brothers, John L., William, James P., Thos. J., Edward J. and Laurence P. Maher. The local firm in Cortland is looked after by Jas. P. Maher. As will be seen by the above, the firm of Maher Bros. enjoy many advantages which makes it possible for them to do business extensively.
   Maher Bros. have purchased this week the entire stock of clothing, hats, etc., of Jas. B. Paddin & Co. of Ogdensborg, N. Y., and we understand will offer above stock for sale at the Cortland store. Another stroke of the enterprise of this go-ahead firm.

C. F. BROWN.
Druggist.
   In Europe the pharmacist devotes himself exclusively to the compounding of drugs and the filling of prescriptions, whilst in America the druggist to thoroughly understand his business most possess manifold qualifications in order to cope with the diversified interests constantly demanding his attention. In this country an innumerable variety of articles constitute a well equipped drug store, not only the representatives of the pharmacopoeia, but mineral waters, patent and proprietary medicines, drug sundries, fancy goods and medical specialties, also surgical instruments and physicians supplies generally.
   In Cortland one of the leading and most complete drug stores is that of Brown's Pharmacy, located at 57 Main street, and where everything that is expected to be carried by a modern drug establishment may be found, while the prescription department is commodious, well systematized and equipped in a most thorough manner. This business was founded 14 years ago and is in every way fully alive to the requirements of the trade. The proprietor, Mr. C. F. Brown, has through long experience been enabled to study the wants of his patrons to a marked degree. He is well and favorably known as an upright, reliable and honorable business man and is highly esteemed for his public spiritedness as a citizen. He enjoys the regard and consideration of all who know him, while his house enjoys that which a pharmacy can not be a success without, namely the confidence of the leading medical practitioners.

W. H. MORGAN.
Harness, Whips, Robes, Trunks, Etc.
   Leather is one of the most important commodities that the people have to invest in, particularly is this so as relating to harness, saddles, etc. Consequently the question as to who handles the best quality of goods and quotes the most reasonable prices is often suggested. Apropos of the above remarks is W. H. Morgan, who conducts a well-stocked store at No. 16 Railroad street, and where is carried all kinds of light and heavy single and double harness, whips, robes, railroad and steamer trunks, travelling bags, etc., made from the best material, and by workmen who are thoroughly skilled
   Mr. Morgan has conducted this house for the last 5 years, and during that time has attained a large trade. Mr. W. H. Morgan stands deservedly high in commercial circles as a man of exemplary habits, and is highly esteemed by all who know him.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment