Tuesday, January 3, 2017


Cortland Evening Standard, Friday, October 5, 1893.

No New Evidence Produced—Sparring Between Attorneys.
   The afternoon session of the Chaffee examination was continued with Mr. Kistler on the stand. He said: "The usual length of the life of an engine used for switching varies, according to how well the repairs are kept up." The witness was asked by the defendant's attorney to produce the throttle and reversing lever. Objected to on the ground of being immaterial and incompetent. Objection sustained.
   Mr. Courtney then ordered the court to serve a subpoena for them, which was done.
   "I do not remember seeing engine No. 7 but once from May 10 till the time of the accident [engineer and fireman killed in train crash—CC editor] and that was on May 11, when I went around it to see if there were any check or throttle valves leaking. In opening the valve to the cylinder one piece of metal rubs on another."
   Dist. Attorney Squires objected to the witness answering this class of questions on the ground of their being immaterial and incompetent.
   "I don't remember how long the valves mentioned in the book of repairs have been in use."
   Re-direct examination. "I gave orders to James Fennell for hiring Chaffee. At that time I gave directions to Mr. Fennell as to Chaffee's duties. I gave engine No. 7 an inspection after it had been repaired in January."
   This closed the testimony of this witness which occupied nine hours.
   James Fennell, engineer of engine No. 7 was the next witness called. In addition to the testimony already published in The STANDARD he said, "The switch leading from the main track to the yard where the engine is kept is about a quarter of a mile from where the accident occurred. It is about 200 feet north of the Cortland station. It is about 225 or 230 feet from the switch to the round house. The house is south of the turntable and as soon as the engine is coaled up it is put in the engine house. On the night of June 5 it was run in about 6 o'clock and left in the care of the watchman. The defendant was there that night. I have known Chaffee for five or six years. Mr. Kistler gave me no instructions that I remember about hiring Chaffee. I had directions from Henry Corkendal, the engineer dispatcher at Syracuse, seven or eight months before the accident. I had nothing to do about hiring Chaffee, except that I recommended him. I showed him how to use the injectors and keep water in them and in case the check got up I showed him how to get it down. I showed him what to do if the injector did not prime. I don't remember giving him any other instructions then. Later, I gave him instructions how to wipe the engine and keep it thawed out in wintertime. I did not hear any one give him instructions about staying nights. The engine dispatcher told me to put him to work. He remained at work till the accident."
   Mr. Squires asked the witness to repeat the answer to the last question as he did not understand.
   "What's the matter with you, asleep?" said Mr. Courtney.
   "I would rather be asleep than in a lunatic asylum," said the district attorney.
   "Well," replied Mr. Courtney, "judging by you and your witness and the testimony you have been endeavoring to put in I think I am in a lunatic asylum now."
   "You're riding a yellow horse, now," answered Mr. Squires, and the witness continued:
   "It would take him three or four hours to perform his duties. After finishing that work he was to keep water in the engine and the fire all right, so that in case we were called out, until we started in the morning. There were no specific duties given Chaffee on the night of June 5 that I know of and as far as I know they were the same as on previous nights. I did not see Chaffee at the wreck that night. I do not remember whether he was at the yard when we ran in that night or not, but I think that he was there, as he generally was. I think Chaffee asked me to assist him to get the place. Eugene Higgins was night watchman before Chaffee began. Chaffee was around there with Higgins. Chaffee was hired as water boy and flagman previous to his becoming night watchman. Never saw him handling an engine till he was hired as night watchman. As soon as the engine was coaled up, about 10 or 11 o'clock, he was to run the engine into the engine house."
   Cross examination. Chaffee was the best man I ever had watch the engine. I don't remember giving any further instructions in regard to his duties unless I would give him a special instruction about something that occurred during the day like the check leaking. I never instructed the defendant as to the necessity of blocking the engine. Could not say whether I ever gave him instructions about leaving the engine or not. If the three switches leading to the main track were left right, an engine could have run out to the main track. He worked as water boy three or four years ago, should think he was 17 or 18 years of age then. I required him to have 80 or 90 pounds pressure of steam on the engine during the night. That was for the purpose of having the engine go out on the road if necessary. I can't say that I ever told him to keep 130 pounds pressure. On stormy nights the engine was wiped in the engine house. I never knew or heard of the engine running away. I never remember saying to Harry Gray, Mr. Beattie, Eugene or Fred Higgins or the defendant that the engine would run away. I knew of its running in and taking the doors off the engine house. During the time that Chaffee had charge of the engine it would leak at the stay bolts and flues."
   Mr. Courtney asked the court to allow him to prove by this witness that the valve mentioned was defective during all the time that the defendant had charge of the engine and caused the accident.
   The offer was refused till he could bring him in as his own witness. Exception taken.
   Re-direct examination. "At the time it ran through the doors the defendant had charge of the engine. Chaffee told me that Rose was on the engine at that time."
   Re-cross examination. "The amount of steam kept on was sufficient to move the engine. I don't remember any instructions but what I have stated that I gave to the defendant."
   The case was then adjourned till 10 o'clock this morning.
   The case was called at 10 o'clock this morning but, owing to the absence of the defendant's attorney, it was held open till 3 o'clock this afternoon.

The Approach to New York.
   A picturesque effect is given to the finale of the first act of that popular comic opera "The Little Tycoon," by the use of a panorama which gives an abbreviated, but nevertheless highly effective, idea of the view which passengers on the deck of an incoming ocean steamer obtain of the approach to and the upper and lower bays of New York harbor. The panorama is supposed to begin opposite Fire Island light, at which point there is a signal station in telegraphic communication with the New York News Bureau which announces the arrival of all large vessels. From then on, the view shows Coney Island, Bay Ridge, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Battery and several of the high buildings immediately adjoining, the termination being at the steamship wharf.
   Although the picture is one in miniature, it is really entertaining and will no doubt be liked when the opera is sung at the Cortland Opera House on the night of Saturday, October 7.

The Golden Wedding.
   Yesterday was the fiftieth anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Horace P. Goodrich, and the event was celebrated quietly during the day by the bride and groom of fifty years ago who had with them as guests their niece, Mrs. Robert E. Hill of Brooklyn, and their nephew with his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Mills, formerly of Omaha. In the evening the spacious and elegantly furnished parlors were thrown open and Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich received about a hundred of their friends who came to congratulate them upon the joyous occasion which falls to the lot of so few people, and to wish them a long continuance of their present good health and prosperity. It was a most enjoyable gathering.
   There were present those who had known Mr. Goodrich when he first came to Cortland and Mrs. Goodrich when she was Miss Mary E. Mills, and who remembered them when their hair was not of the snowy whiteness of the present, and there were also present the younger Jones whose earliest recollections of the bride and groom of the evening did not differ much from their appearance upon this occasion. Many were the reminiscences indulged in, and while these were enjoyable to the older ones as bringing so vividly before them the days long past, they were equally delightful to the more youthful, revealing the customs and events of an earlier day.
   Mr. Goodrich told to a few eager listeners of his boy life on a sheep farm in Pittsfield, Mass., where his father kept a flock of 1,500 sheep. Here he gained his knowledge of wool which was to serve him so well later when his business became that of a wool buyer. It was in the fall of 1840 that he came to Cortland. The old Cortlandville academy had just been founded. The next year Mr. Goodrich was elected a trustee of this. Hon. Henry S. Randall was the president of the board. One of the places where the young bachelor found it pleasant to call was at the home of Mr. James C. Pomeroy, and it was particularly pleasant after the young, beautiful and accomplished Miss Mary E. Mills came there from her home at Marcellus to visit her sister, Mrs. Pomeroy. The trustees wanted to introduce the study of music into the academy, and were fully convinced that Miss Mills, who was a skilled musician, was just the one to be the first teacher. Trustee Goodrich was certain of it because it would keep her in Cortland, but three years later he was just as certain that she wasn't the one for that place, for he was assured that she was in every way qualified to preside over a class of one in a private school, and Miss Mills agreed with him, and so the academy lost a teacher and Mr. Goodrich won a wife.
   All of their married life has been spent in Cortland, except part of one year, 1853-54, when Mr. Goodrich went to South America to buy wool. Mrs. Goodrich did not accompany him. Mr. Goodrich became associated with Mr. J. C. Pomeroy in the buying of wool, butter, and produce and continued the same for many years. One son was born to them, who died of scarlet fever at the age of five years. They adopted a son when an infant, but he too died at the age of eighteen years of consumption. Their years have been very pleasant ones, and they have acquired a fortune sufficiently large to furnish them with every comfort and luxury in their last days.
   Very dainty refreshments were served last night in the dining room by Mr. George D. Griffith. Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich were kindly remembered with several little keepsakes by their friends who came to call. Toward the close of the evening Mrs. Frederick Hyde brought from her home a little poem written by Miss Mary E. Mudge, afterward Mrs. Charles W. Collins, upon the occasion of the golden wedding of Mrs. Hyde's parents, Dr. and Mrs. Goodyear in 1867, and as this poem was in so many ways appropriate to this gathering also, it was read in a most graceful and pleading manner by Miss M. F. Hendrick. With the best wishes for continued health and long life the guests withdrew at an early hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment