Thursday, February 23, 2017


Cortland Evening Standard, Tuesday, December 12, 1893.

Strong Athletic Association Organized—Presentation to Officers.
   The Forty-fifth Separate Co. held last evening a meeting at the armory for the purpose of taking action in regard to the company property. The meeting, which was called to order at 7:30 o'clock, was harmonious from beginning to end. All prizes were given to the teams and individuals who won them. The company then presented the commanding officer, Lieut. E. M Santee, with their beautiful silk flag as a token of their appreciation of his hard and faithful work for the company. The tug of-war team presented Lieut. F. L. McDowell with the prize clock. The running team presented him with their silver water set and Lieut. Santee with their silver water pitcher.
   The company voted to present their silk markers to the Forty-first Separate Co. of Syracuse as a token of the warm friendship which has always existed between the two companies.
   It was resolved to meet Saturday, Dec. 23 at 2 P. M. at Westcott's Picture Palace for the purpose of having a large photograph taken. They also voted to present one photograph, framed, to Mrs. Phoebe Snyder, in appreciation of her many acts of kindness to the company. The wind-gauge sights were given to the rifle team.
   The members present then organized what in future will be known as the Cortland Athletic club and elected as temporary officers, pending the perfection of the organization, Lieut. E. M. Santee as president and Corp. R. E. Barnard as secretary.
   A motion was then made and carried to present to the Athletic club all the athletic paraphernalia belonging to the company and also the chairs and tables.
   A motion was then carried that all other property of the company be sold to the highest bidder, and after the sale the money in the treasury be divided among the members pro rata according to the number of drills attended. The picture of the Forty-first Separate Co. was given to Sergeant C. York, after which the property of the company was put up at auction among the members and sold to the highest bidder. Cigars were then "set up" by Lieuts. McDowell and Santee.
   A meeting of the association will be held in the armory at 8 o'clock to-morrow evening. The meeting had been called for next Monday night, but owing to enforced absence on that evening of the president it has been changed to to-morrow night. At this meeting action will probably be taken to secure future quarters, to adopt a constitution and bylaws and to elect permanent officers.
   Those interested in athletics are very enthusiastic over the new organization. It is just what has been needed in Cortland for many years. There is talent here which, if developed, would stand well with the best in central New York.
   Before the meeting last night some wag in the company fixed up, upon the "non-com's" gun rack, an effigy of a musician, using one of the snare drums to make it more realistic. The representation was very good, and the only trouble was that "His face was turned toward the wall." "After the ball was over" the boys seemed to take solid delight in relieving their feelings by thumping the effigy with rubbers and any other missiles that came handy. After tiring of this they varied the monotony by pulling the figure down and blowing off a little more surplus steam in kicks. A post mortem was then held, which was too ludicrous and personal for publication.

Bitten By a Dog.
   The seven-year-old boy of Mr. E. J. Moore, pressman in the STANDARD office, was quite severely bitten yesterday afternoon just after school by a large dog belonging to County Clerk Jones. A number of boys were playing with the dog, which was hitched to a sled. Some one pulled the animal's tail and he whirled about and set his teeth into the little Moore boy's face, one tooth going through the lip and another through the eyelid, while several others scratched his nose. It is a marvel that the eye was not put out.
   The boy's face was covered with blood and the wounds were quite painful. He was taken home by some of his companions and Dr. W. J. Moore was called, who dressed the wounds. While the little fellow's face is paining him somewhat to-day, the injuries are not regarded as serious.
   The dog has been a great playfellow with all the boys of the neighborhood, but it is now said that he had twice bitten boys who were teasing him. Hereafter he will be muzzled.

A Narrow Escape From Drowning.
   Kittie Clancy, the young daughter of Mr. Patrick Clancy, while skating at the cove yesterday afternoon struck a thin piece of ice which broke under her and she went through into about eight feet of water. Luckily there was no current and she was not drawn under the ice. Some small boys pulled her out with their "shinney sticks" and she smilingly thanked them and went home.

Cortland City Band photographed in1898.

Review of the Program and Parts of Individual Performers—All did Well, Some Admirably.
   Space will not permit us to give as extended a notice of the Cortland
City band minstrels who entertained a crowded house at the Opera House last evening, the performance deserved. It was one of the best local talent entertainments given in Cortland for a long time. The large crowd that assembled to witness it proved that the people of Cortland appreciate the efforts of the band boys to make their organization one of the finest in central New York, and to give in the entertainment more than full value of the sum charged for admission.
   The spectacular first part would have been a credit to a professional show. Mr. E. B. Cummings made an excellent interlocutor. Messrs. Ketchum, Fitzgerald and Byrnes rattled the bones, while Messrs. W. Dillon, Wilcox and Leonard pounded the [tambours.] The kings of comedy, Messrs. Stevens and O'Connell, were well named. The selections by the Carriage City quartet, consisting of Messrs. Walsh, Dowd, Lannigan and Lund, were repeatedly encored. Mr. M. Day Murphey was unable to sing on account of a severe cold but expects to take part to-night. The premier laugh makers, Lawrence Dillon and Jacob Widmer kept the audience in a continual roar from the time of their entrance to the close in before the olio, with their funny conundrums witty repartees and songs. Messrs Leonard and Jarvis sang Prof. Leonard's new song, "The English Swells" in their amusing act, and the first part closed with another song by the same author, "The Minstrel Street Parade," in which the first-parters all joined.
   The music ail through was of a much higher class than that of the usual minstrel show, and the fact that nearly all the songs were new added not a little to the performance. The orchestrations were arranged by Mr. Fred I. Graham while the musical part of the performance was in charge of Mr. M. Day Murphey.
   The olio opened with a saxophone quartet, consisting of Messrs. Graham, Wright, Lannigan and Gray. They played a number of selections which were suitable to the instruments and received hearty encores.
   The eccentric terpsichorean artists, Lawrence Dillon and John Fitzgerald, made a great hit with their Reuben song and cane dance, both of which were very unique.
   Fred Ketchum did some difficult feats of tumbling and equilibrium, many of which were new, in an easy manner which showed careful training.
   Mr. Wilson Wilcox, "the one man band," performed on a number of instruments simultaneously with as much accuracy as if he had been handling only one.
   The negro pastimes, a song and dance arranged by Mr. Lawrence Dillon, was well gone through with by six of the company, three of whom represented girls.
   The military drill and tableau, "An Attack on the Outpost," was one of the finest and most realistic features of the program. Capt. Drake had charge of the drill and the men did not make a mistake
   The afterpiece "Cortland at the World's Fair" made a very good ending for the performance. Nearly every part was well taken and the few "sticks," who were not born to be actors, were excusable as they went on upon short notice in order to avoid a five or ten minutes' stage wait, while the scenery was being set and the other members of the company were changing their costumes.
   The performance as a whole passed off very successfully and the advance sale to-day shows that there will be a good sized crowd to-night.

   —Don't forget the Husking Bee at Good Templar's hall Wednesday night at 8 o'clock sharp. Admission free.
   —The funeral of the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Stilson will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock, at their residence 40 Church-st.
   —George Stanley, a former conductor on the E., C. & N. road, died at Minneapolis last week, aged 65 years. The deceased was well known in this village. His body will be interred at Breesport to-morrow.
   —Remember the cap-a-pie social tomorrow night at the Universalist church. Everybody cordially invited. A brief entertainment will be given after which a ten-cent refreshment will be served. Ladies requested to bring a cap made of muslin.
   —The Towanda Republican says that there was one new man on the Lehigh during the strike that was not called a "scab." He was dressed in the regulation cowboy uniform and carried a brace of revolvers in his belt. He handled an engine up and down the road and was not in any way molested.
   —A Christmas party will be given in Wells' hall, Dec. 22. The committee of arrangements, of which Mr. F. Cyrus Straat is chairman, are leaving nothing undone to make the affair a grand success. The fact that Kappa's orchestra of Syracuse has been secured, is proof that good music will be in attendance.
   —One of our Cortland pastors put in a full day last Sunday. He attended six services, preached three sermons, spoke at one prayer-meeting, attended two Sunday-schools and on Monday morning delivered a funeral address, then rode eleven miles to the cemetery and back, reaching home a little before dark on Monday evening. He very naturally believes Cortland is an excellent field for work.


No comments:

Post a Comment