Wednesday, April 26, 2017


Benton Bushnell Jones.

Cortland Evening Standard, Thursday, February 22, 1894.

The Long Delayed Appointment Is Made At Last.
   Editor Benton B. Jones of the Cortland Democrat yesterday afternoon received a telegram announcing his appointment as postmaster of the Cortland office. His name is now before the senate and confirmation will undoubtedly follow in a few days. It has been generally understood for a long time that Mr. Jones was to receive this appointment, but for a number of weeks now no presidential postoffice appointments have been made. It was given out unofficially from the White House that no appointments would be made until the senate acted favorably upon President Cleveland's nomination for supreme court justice. That matter being settled, a large number of appointments were yesterday sent to the senate, and among them that of Mr. Jones.
   If a change is to be made in the Cortland office, no appointment could be made which would meet with more general approval than this. Mr. Jones has for years been an active worker in the Democratic party, always ready and willing to put his shoulder to the wheel and bear the brunt of the burden, and this is the first official return that he has ever received for his services. He is genial, courteous and accommodating and in his new capacity will undoubtedly add to his already large circle of friends. The Standard tenders him its congratulations.
   It will probably be a couple of weeks at least before Mr. Jones can receive his official appointment and get his bond fixed and be ready to take possession.
   In the retirement of Mr. S. M. Ballard Cortland loses one of the best postmasters that it has ever had. He is an expert accountant and his records were always considered by the department as first-class. He is a general favorite in Cortland and has more friends among all the people than he is doubtless aware of. He is always exceedingly thoughtful of others and his many little acts of kindness in one direction and another have drawn friends from every side. The worst of it is that Mr. Ballard is soon to leave town, for he will take an important and responsible position in the New York Life Insurance Co. at New York, which has been waiting for him for some time. While The STANDARD heartily congratulates him upon his prospects, it in common with hosts of his friends regrets the departure from town of both Mr. and Mrs. Ballard.
   Another appointment made yesterday was that of Mr. Henry E. Wilson as postmaster of Marathon. Mr. Wilson is a promising young lawyer of that place and is well and favorably known there. He has been a resident of Marathon for about ten years and during that time has won the respect and regard of all those who know him. That he is an ardent Democrat goes without saying.

Mr. Holton Is Eligible.
   Supervisor Holton of Virgil has called our attention to a new ruling in
Postal Laws and Regulation as revised for 1894, which, as found upon page 897, section 225, reads as follows:
   A postmaster whose annual compensation is less than one thousand dollars is not prohibited by any provision of the "Postal Laws and Regulations" from accepting and holding another office under the state, territory or municipality in which he resides, provided his duties as postmaster suffer no interference in consequence thereof.
   Mr. Holton says that the receipts from the Virgil office are less than $1,000 and, therefore, under this new ruling he can hold both the office of post master and that of supervisor to which he has just been elected.

John Y. McKane.
An Interesting Debate on the Question. Kings County Man's Cause Ably Defended—Republicans Denounced McKane and His Election Methods—Senate and Assembly Refuse to Honor Washington's Birthday.
   ALBANY, Feb. 22.—Five hours of continuous debate in the assembly resulted in the unseating of Assemblyman James Graham of Kings county and the seating of William H. Friday (Republican). The debate was one of interest and some of the salient points are here given.
   Mr. Keck, Republican—Through the machinations of one man, who a few days ago was condemned to a felon's cell, one of the most flagrant wrongs men perpetrated on the ballotbox was accomplished. That man was John Y. McKane. A jury of his peers has found him guilty and there is no doubt in my mind that all fair-minded citizens of the state acquiesce in that verdict.
   Mr. Harrigan, Democrat—Mr. Graham's election certificate entitles him to his seat in the assembly, and is presumptive evidence that what it sets forth is true. The contestant (Friday) has failed to furnish to the committee competent proof that the contestee (Graham) is not entitled to his seat, or that he (Friday) is. I appeal to the house not to unseat James Graham because John Y. McKane has been convicted for a crime which was not before the house.
   Mr. Dowling, Democrat—A noticeable feature of the evidence is that the testimony of every Republican, businessman or officeholder, is discredited, and they are termed by the Republican majority of this committee as rascals, while the testimony of Democratic vote-purchasers and blackguards is taken as gospel truth and used as the basis for unseating Mr. Graham.
   Mr. Butts, Democrat—There is no fraud in the registration in the second and third districts at Gravesend. The law gives every citizen of the country the right to have a domicile somewhere and all the hostlers, waiters and others who were employed at Gravesend each summer are entitled to register there and cast their vote if they desire.
   Mr. Sulzer, Democrat—Had the personal registration law been on the statute books the seat of James Graham would not now be contested and John Y. McKane would not be under the ban of the law. I appeal to the majority to rise above all technical and partisan feelings and advantage and decide the contest on the facts alone. 'To your own self be true and it must follow as the night the day thou canst not be false to any man.'
   Mr. Ainsworth, Republican—The political leprosy that has touched Troy, and Buffalo and Albany and Lansingburgh and Gravesend should be wiped out. Talk about McKane, why Michael P. Ryan is as big a devil as the man who is going to Sing Sing, and Sing Sing will hold him too. According to the Democrats all is pure and holy in Gravesend, but according to the courts and the people all is black and filthy.
   The resolution to unseat was carried by a vote of 72 ayes, 51 nays.
   Mr. Graham was excused from voting at his request.
   Mr. Lonnsberry of Ulster asked to be excused from voting on the question. He made this request out of regard for the consideration shown him by the Kings county member in the contest for his seat last year. His request was granted.
   Mr. Friday was immediately sworn in at the office of the secretary of state.

Both Branches Work Today.
   ALBANY, Feb. 22.—Both the senate and assembly ignored the fact that today is the birthday of George Washington and voted to remain in session. In the senate Senator Guy offered a concurrent resolution for the Democrats, but it was defeated by Republican votes. In the assembly Mr. Sulzer offered two resolutions, but both were defeated, Mr. Ainsworth saying it was simply a scheme to delay the session.

Three of the Cornell Victims Still In a Critical Condition.
   ROCHESTER, Feb. 22.—A special from Ithaca, N. Y. says: The freshmen banquet and its dire result still continue to be the topic of discussion. The city officials, in conjunction with the university authorities, are straining every nerve to discover the fiend or fiends who caused chlorine gas to be diffused through the banquet hall.
   Thus far no more fatalities have occurred. It is obvious that Mrs. Jackson's daughter is in a critical condition, as are also young McNeil, a student of Pittsburg, Pa., and W. F. McColluch of Oneonta, N. Y., both members of the class of '95.
   A post-mortem examination was held over the remains of the dead woman, and although the results are withheld by the coroner's jury, it is firmly believed that they found death was caused solely by inhaling the chlorine gas.
   The arrested students were arraigned before Recorder Smith and pleaded not guilty. They were then bailed until Saturday.

But One Person Died from Its Effects and More are Ill.
   On Tuesday evening the Cornell  freshmen held a banquet. The sophomores tried to stop them. There was a free fight while the freshmen were getting to the hall where the banquet was held. Faces were punched, hats were smashed and a general melee resulted. The whole police force of Ithaca were powerless to stop the row.  After the banquet had begun a disagreeable odor was discovered coming from the kitchen. The freshmen supposed that the servants had yielded to sophomore bribes and were creating the odor to annoy them. Several freshmen went out into the kitchen to drive the servants out.
   At the door they met two servants bringing the colored cook, a woman about fifty-five years old, into the diningroom. She was completely overcome by the effects of something. The servants were all rushing out of the kitchen and the students who went out there barely escaped with their lives. The cook was taken to a drug store across the street, physicians were called and every effort was made to bring her to consciousness again, but she died in a few minutes. The students were taken to their rooms and physicians worked over them for hours.
   Investigation showed that in a vacant room below the kitchen there was a jug of chlorine gas. A rubber hose connected it to a glass tube which was inserted in a hole bored through the ceiling into the kitchen above. The escaping gas, which is deadly poison, caused the difficulty. Evidently it was the intent of the parties arranging the apparatus to drive the freshmen out of the room above by the odor of the gas. It seems, however, that parties who could prepare such an apparatus and prepare the gas must have known of its deadly qualities.
   A coroner's inquest is to be held. Considerable evidence is said to have been secured as to who the guilty parties are, but this will not be made public until after the investigation.
   The students who inhaled the gas have been in a serious condition, but it is now believed that they will recover.

   —Washington's birthday.
   —A meeting of the Union Veteran legion will be held this evening.
   —Two loads of gypsies from Little York passed through town this morning on their way to Ithaca.
   —The board of governors of the C. A. A. held a special meeting at the club house at 5 o'clock this afternoon.
   —The Alpha C. L. S. C. will meet with Mrs. A. M. Graves, 35 Madison-st., Monday evening, Feb. 26 at 7:30 o'clock.
   —The annual meeting of the Woman's Foreign Missionary society of the Presbyterian church will be held in the chapel at 3:30 on Friday.
   —Oneonta citizens are planning for a benefit entertainment for the societies of the Normal to help them replace some of the property that was destroyed by the fire.
   —The regular meeting of the Loyal Circle of King's Daughters will be held Friday at 2:30 P. M. at Mrs. A. M. Johnson's, 32 Groton-ave. A full attendance is desired.
   —There will be a religious service for the deaf in the Guild room of Grace church this evening at 7:30 o'clock. It will be conducted by Mr. C. Orvis Dantzer of Syracuse. All strangers are invited.
   —Cortland is not the only town that rejected the Myers ballot machine. Oneonta voted against it 487 to 99; Unadilla 427 to 55; Gilbertsville 307 to 23; Walton 402 to 167; Oxford gave a majority of 32 against.
   —Daniels' full orchestra have been kept pretty busy this week, having played every night but one so far. They played at Cheningo last night, will play at McDonough to-night and at Higginsville Friday night.
   —At the meeting of the Celtic Daughters last evening it was decided to call a special meeting of the organization at 4 o'clock Saturday afternoon, at which arrangements will be made for the Celtic Daughters' banquet, which will be held in honor of St. Patrick on Friday evening, March 10.
   —The C. M. B. A. are contemplating the engagement about the middle of March of Hon. John F. Finnerty of Chicago, who is said to be the greatest living Irish orator, to deliver a lecture on "Music and Nationality." He will be assisted by Mr. M. J. Murphy, who is claimed to be the greatest living dramatic baritone soloist. Should these two men come to Cortland, they will probably pack the house.
   —This in the way the political situation at Syracuse looks to the New York Sun: "From the Onondaga Reservation there comes the thunder of many cheers. The Hon. James Jehosaphat Belden lies prostrate beneath the feet of the Hon. Francis Hendricks. Amos is mayor again. The regular Beldenite and Plattish Kline has fallen face forward on the porringer, and the soup has closed over his matted hair. A smile glides over the melancholy features of the Hon. Frank Hiscock like sunset streaming over the ruined temples of Paesium. The Hon. Thomas C. Platt wears a pouting and a moody air. The Syracusan expedition has come to an unexpected end."

Silver Wedding and House Warming.
   Mr. and Mrs. M. E. Kenney were married in Truxton, Cortland county, twenty-five years ago. Their handsome residence 21-23 Kemble-st. has just been completed. Last evening they celebrated their silver wedding and gave a house warming in their new home. A hundred or more friends were present. Supper was served, and a good time enjoyed by all.—Utica Observer, Feb. 17.

Pulled the House.
   At 6:30 o'clock last night Chief Sager, in company with other officers pulled a disreputable house in the second floor of the Hulbert building on West Court-st. Three women were found there alone—Fannie Hubbard, the proprietress, Florence Howe and Lizzie Wilson. All were taken before Justice Bull charged with being disorderly characters. Fannie Hubbard promised if sentence were suspended to go to her husband in Buffalo and never return to Cortland again. Sentence was suspended. She will leave Saturday. Justice Bull told Florence Rowe that if she were brought before him again, he would give her five years at Hudson. She promised to be orderly and was discharged. Lizzie Wilson was the youngest. She was discharged upon her promise to leave town. She agreed to go to Scranton, Pa., this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment