Monday, July 17, 2017


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, August 24, 1894.

A Batch of Fires.
   Between 2 and 3 o'clock last Saturday afternoon box No. 313, corner of Hubbard-st. and Clinton-ave., sent in an alarm and the fire department was almost immediately in motion. The fire was in the dwelling owned by Homer O. Smith and occupied on the first floor and a portion of the second floor by L. H. Barber. A three-year-old and a baby were asleep in one of the rooms on the second floor until a few minutes before the fire, when Mrs. Barber brought the baby down stairs, and soon after the other child came down. Five or ten minutes later Mrs. Barber heard a noise up stairs and on going up found the room ablaze. Neighbors came to the rescue and the fire was put out before the firemen came. It is thought that the oldest child had been playing with matches and accidentally set the bed clothes on fire. The bedstead and clothing together with the window curtains were entirely destroyed, but two smaller beds in the room were scarcely injured.
   At 4 o'clock the same day box No. 333, corner of No. Main St. and Homer-ave., sent in an alarm and the department again turned out. This time the fire was discovered in R. M. Hillsinger's barn at 130 No. Main-st. The barn together with that of Riley Lang adjoining was quickly burned to the ground. The rear of Mr. Hillsinger's house was considerably scorched and it was thought for a time that it with other buildings would surely go, but the department did excellent work and confined the fire to the two buildings that were on fire when they arrived. Mr. Hillsinger's household goods were removed by the Protective Police and afterwards carried back into the house.
   Mr. Hillsinger had gone to his farm in Virgil after a load of hay. Mr. Geo. O. Gilbert, the truckman, says he sat by the barn door reading when he heard a cracking sound above and on going into the loft found it all on fire. He gave the alarm and at once proceeded to take the horses from the barn. They belonged to Edward D. Arnold, who loses several tons of hay, his harnesses and a box of feed. No insurance.
   The men who were at work on the Electric road near by, fought the fire until the arrival of the firemen. The origin of the fire is not known. The barn owned by Hillsinger was valued at $700, and was insured for $400. The house was damaged at least $100 and is insured for considerable more than that amount. Lang estimates his loss at $300, with an insurance of $200.
   While running to the fire one of the axles of the new Hook and Ladder truck was badly sprung.

D. L. & W. Engine No. 6.
Killed by the Cars.
   At about 4 o'clock last Tuesday morning as coal train No. 37, on the Syracuse and Binghamton road, had reached a point about midway between Preble and Tully, the trainmen heard someone crying for help and on investigating found Dewitt Lewis of Binghamton lying between the double tracks with his right leg badly crushed. He was picked up and taken to the Empire House in Tully where Drs. W. H. Dwinelle and W. Y. Bliss attended him. When passenger train No. 12, that reaches this place at 8:52 A. M. came along, he was put on board and Dr. Dwinelle accompanied him to his home in Binghamton, where his leg was amputated just above the knee by Dr. Moore of that city assisted by Dr. Dwinelle.
   Lewis is a son of Isaac Lewis formerly of Virgil, but who lived in this place for several years up to about two years ago, when the family moved to Binghamton. The boy said he was walking on the track when struck by the train, but the trainmen say he was stealing a ride and a sudden lurch of the cars threw him under the wheels. He is only eighteen years of age and had been away from home about two weeks, a part of that time being spent in Cortland. He was seen here the night previous considerably under the influence of liquor. He is also said to have been an inveterate cigarette smoker. He died on Tuesday afternoon.

A Slick Rascal.
   A week ago last Saturday one James Riley came to town and engaged board with Mr. F. M. Wickwire at 21 No. Main st. During the week following he worked on the Electric road and Saturday night received his pay and settled for his week's board. Sunday night he retired about 8 o'clock and Monday morning his room was vacant.
   Mr. Wickwire got up at 5:30 A. M. and found the kitchen door wide open. The following articles are missing: A silver watch belonging to Mrs. Wickwire and which was in a cupboard, a few cents in change which was in the same place, two fine shirts belonging to Mr. Wickwire and several colored shirts, a tin box containing some deeds, notes, and other papers and a few other articles of but little value. The box was found open under the steps with the papers intact. He had evidently tried on a pair of Mr. Wickwire's pants, but as they were not a perfect fit he left them behind.
   Riley was about six feet tall, walked a little lame and wore a short grey mustache. His teeth were gone and he was apparently about 55 years of age. He had on a dark coat, gray trousers and brown shirt and spoke with an Irish accent.

Off for Oswego.
   The Hitchcock and Emerald Hose companies left yesterday morning for Oswego, where they will attend and take part in the proceedings of the State Firemen's Convention. The first named company have entered for the fancy drill prize and expect to bring it home with them. These two companies have engaged the services of Penn & Lee's band of Syracuse.
   The Orris Hose company did not intend to attend the Convention but at a special meeting of the company held Tuesday evening last, they decided to go in a body. They engaged the Cortland City band to accompany them and left on the 6 o'clock train this morning. The Orris boys will have one of the very best bands in the state to march in front of them in the parade which occurs to-day.

Struck Oil, Sure Enough.
   BUFFALO, Aug. 18.—For eighteen months C. C. Hatch of Bradford has been securing oil leases in the northern part of Chautauqua county. He has been drilling an occasional well. Yesterday it was discovered that a hundred barrel well was struck on Tuesday on the farm Ezra Scott, six miles from Dunkirk. As a consequence all that section of the county is excited and farm leases have taken on additional value.

Evidently Shot Himself.
   ITHACA, Aug. 20.—The body of R. K. Kramfield, of Scranton, Pa., was recovered from the water here to-day. It is evident he stood up in a row boat, sent a bullet into his brain and fell over into the water. He had been missing since last Friday.

   Seven monuments in the DeRuyter cemetery have been defaced by using strong acid on them.
   The State of New York is credited by the Internal Revenue Department with 48,466 retail liquor dealers.
   The total production of whiskey in the State of Kentucky for the twelve months ending June 30 has been 20,123,803 gallons.
   Mrs. Charles H. Frear, of Binghamton, while insane, jumped from a fourth story window, and died of her injuries.
   The other day some boys caught a trout in Beaverkill at Fish's Eddy, Delaware county, that measured 32 inches in length and weighed 8 3/4 pounds.
   Nicholas Barr, 20, was caught in a threshing machine on a farm near Richfield the other day and had one arm torn off and both legs broken. His recovery is doubtful.
   A large barn belonging to Daniel Marshman of South Oxford was struck by lightning on Sunday evening and together with its contents was burned to the ground.
   Kattellville, Broome Co., sportsmen have been out gunning for a strange animal for several nights of late. It is pronounced to be a lynx and is making sad havoc among the hen roosts in that vicinity.
   Ordinary woolen shawls, such as are worn by workingmen's wives, are taxed 150 per cent under the McKinley law; under the new tariff law they are taxed only 35 per cent.
   John I. Blair is dangerously ill at Blairstown, N. J. He is now past 90, and until his present illness it has always been his boast that he had never been sick a day in his life. He began life without a dollar, and is now worth not less than $50, 000,000.
   There will be in the city of Washington for a week, commencing Tuesday August 28, something over 200,000 members and friends of the order of Knights of Pythias, of which 20,000 will be members of the uniform rank, who will be quartered in one of the most picturesque military camps that ever graced the broad grounds about the foot of the Washington Monument.

Jacob S. Fassett.
The Cortland Standard gives Charles T. Saxton of Wayne County over a column on his candidacy for Governor. Good bye, Saxton. You may consider yourself out of the race.
The Syracuse Standard don't want Fassett. The Standard has heretofore been able to secure more things it did not want than any paper published in the state.
Jacob Sloat Fassett is out for the republican nomination for Governor. The Convention held in Chemung County where he resides, last Thursday, elected delegates and passed resolutions in his favor.
The nomination of William A. Beach, Esq., of Syracuse, to be collector of Internal Revenue for this district, has been confirmed. He will probably take possession on the first day of September next.
Belden is pretending that he don't want the Congressional nomination from the Onondaga—Madison district this fall. Undoubtedly quite a large majority of the republicans in the district would be glad to take him at his word, but they won't have the chance. Belden's heelers are very busy and declare that he must accept and he will.
Republican Journals announce that Tom Reed never wears a silk hat. The ponderosity of this news is almost overwhelming. Evidently there must have been a sneaking notion among the common people that Thomas had occasionally indulged in this frivolous habit, or it would not have been thought necessary to publish the fact. The dear people will breathe again.
A very large crowd of people attended the tariff debate between Hon. R. G. Horr and Hon. M. D. Harter at Tully last Friday. The attendance was made up mostly of republicans, women and children, and Horr was heartily cheered. Horr was funny and imaginative. Harter was logical and truthful. The average republican is always pleased and satisfied with Munchausen stories but the democrat must have something solid. The Cortland Standard says that Harter "wasn't in it,'' while the Syracuse Courier gives a very full synopsis of both speeches and claims that Harter talked sense while Horr talked most everything else. It looks very much as if the Courier was correct.

A. P. Smith photographed at Gettysburg.
A Word of Warning.
(From the Cortland Standard Aug. 17.)
   In view of the very active canvass which ex-Judge A. P. Smith is making for the Republican nomination for member of assembly, and in view of the attitude which the Standard has heretofore maintained towards him, we feel it to be our duty to say that we cannot, under any circumstances, support him for election to that office, and that we regard his nomination as unwise and unsafe. We do not desire to indulge in personal attack upon Judge Smith, and whether we shall feel it our duty to give our reasons why we cannot support him, and why he should not be nominated or elected, will depend upon future developments. We believe that these reasons are already understood by many of the Republican voters of the county.
   [William Clark of the Standard and A. P. Smith, both Republicans, battled for control of the party for over a decade. Mr. Clark was the apparent victor—CC editor.]

Tramp walking railroad track.
   Sheep killing dogs are troubling the farmers in the town of Virgil.
   Burgess, the clothier, has a new advertisement on our eight page.
   If you haven’t paid your city taxes you can pay 4 per cent extra now.
   Truxton people, by a vote of 25 to 8, have decided to have a Union Free School.
   Mr. G. M. Hopkins has sold his stock of groceries in the Masonic block to Mr. E. W. Bates who has taken possession.
   Tramps in great numbers are stealing rides on the coal trains of the D. L. & W. road every day. It is a poor day when from six to twelve fail to alight at the Cortland station.
   The Cortland Omnibus & Cab Company have taken the contract to build four new cars for the Cortland & Homer Traction Co. Four of the cars now in use will be remodeled into electric cars.
   A caravan consisting of eleven wagon loads of gypsies arrived in town about 1 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. They came from the direction of McLean and after passing up Main-st. turned up Clinton-ave. and headed for Truxton. They had some very good horses and were ready for a dicker. One or two trades were made before they got out of town.
   Soon after 12 o'clock last Thursday night the Gilkerson machine shops just this side of Homer were discovered to be on fire. Alarm was given but the flames had such a start that the engine room was destroyed and the shop badly damaged before the fire department arrived on the scene. The building was 20 x 75 feet and one and one-half stories high. Reynolds Bros. of this place who had manufacturing looms in the building lost all of their patterns which were valued at $500. Mr. Gilkerson estimates his loss at $5,000. Ten mechanics were employed and several of them lost their tools. The fire started in the boiler room and is thought to have been of incendiary origin.
   A match game of base ball between the Cortland nine and the Tully nine was played at the park at Tully Wednesday afternoon. Cortland was defeated by a score of 17 to 11. Six hundred people witnessed the game.
   Last week Thursday afternoon the Homer and Cortland Traction Company purchased the entire plant of the Electric Light Company and will furnish electric lights in Homer and in Cortland in connection with the Electric railroad. President Harrison Wells of the old company will have charge of the plant until the new company are ready to move it to their new location which has not yet been selected. It is understood that four new 150 horse power boilers will be added to the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment