Sunday, July 30, 2017


Cortland Evening Standard, Friday, September 14, 1894.

The Reformatory Superintendent Denies Ever Having Used It to Excess—Charges of Many Inmates Denied In Toto. Other Charges Not Denied. But Argument Made to Justify His Course of Action.
   ELMIRA, N. Y., Sept. 14.—The investigation of the reformatory managers was transferred from New York to this city. Superintendent Brockway was sworn and in reply to Mr. Ivins he said he had been connected with penal institutions for the last 45 years, with the exception of three years, from 1848 to 1894. He established, worked out and brought into operation the system of trade schools, marking and disciplining in Elmira reformatory, with the approval of the board of managers.
   A question that would give Mr. Brockway a chance of giving a lecture on penology and his theories in regard to the system established at the reformatory was not allowed.
   The witness then described the principal features in the reformatory system which prevails here—discipline under the marking system, reformation of the inmates, physical training, moral impression and the indeterminate sentences. The witness was about to go into an explanation of all these when a recess of one hour was taken.
   After recess Superintendent Brockway explained the object and purpose of indeterminate sentences and the limitation of the ages of those committed from 16 to 30 years, and also of the marking system.
   Speaking of the military system, Mr. Brockway said that it originated after the legislature had passed the Yates bill which prohibited convict labor, and it showed excellent results as to the health of the inmates, who had been confined to their cells for the greater part of the time owing to the closing of the shops.
   Speaking of the punishment of lowering in grade, he said it was productive of creating and increasing a desire on the inmate to regain his higher grade. When that failed spanking was necessary, but he had never spanked an inmate without having previously admonished him. The system was a temporary reform process.
   As to the charges made against him for striking men in the bathroom, he denied ever having kicked an inmate. He had given them slight blows, sometimes on the shoulder with his hand, for the purpose of directing the inmate's attention to the subject matter he was talking about.
   He might have at times, at other places than in the bathroom, slapped a man with his hand. He never saw a man strung up in the bathroom with his feet clear of the floor. He had frequently reproved officers for striking inmates and once he discharged an officer, whose name he did not remember, for striking an inmate when it was unjustifiable.
   In the case of Schueller, he had never had to call the doctor to see a man who was treated in the bathroom. Schueller, when he had received two blows, threw himself backward and hurt his head. He never knew a man to faint from punishment in the bathroom.
   The superintendent then went fully into the details of the "January deal." He directed four officers to investigate this matter so that his opinion as to the guilt or innocence of the men would be buttressed by the judgment of those officers. The transfer to state prison of some of the men found guilty of complicity in the "January deal" was done for the welfare of the institution.
   In transferring prisoners to state prisons, it was done with the understanding that the men would not lose their citizenship. He never recommended the recall of a paroled prisoner except for violating the terms of the parole.
   Referring to the man Wallace, Brockway said he absolutely refused to answer any question put to him as to the names of his parents. He said that he did not want his mother to know of his disgrace. Wallace was then sent to seclusion. Four days later he was transferred to the reception cells and then sent to the rest cure gallery, but he still persisted in refusing to answer. Some time later he was transferred to Auburn prison. He never struck or kicked Wallace.
   He never kicked Robert Harrington in the bathroom and never kicked Lumsdin. He might have given him a slight blow.
   He never spanked any inmate in anger and never saw Keeper Halpin kicking any one in the bathroom. He never struck Hogan or any other man in the face so as to break the skin. The reason John Gilmour was arrested while on parole was that he had returned to his evil habits and had left the state, but he would have to serve his full term.
   Several names of inmates were read to the witness, among them being those of Tarpey, Allen, Brandon and Colclough, and in answer to questions as to whether he spanked them over the loins Mr. Brockway said: "I never spanked any man over the loins or elsewhere than on the buttocks, and never slapped one over the face so as to leave a mark."
   Continuing, the witness said that Halpin did not strike or kick any inmate in the bathroom in his presence. Nicholas Beltz was never struck by Keeper Winnie in the bathroom and he never gave Beltz 27 blows, as the maximum was 12 blows. In this manner Mr. Brockway gave similar negative replies to a long list of questions asked by Mr. Ivins as to the statements made by inmates.
   Ex-Judge Gilbert then began to cross-examine Mr. Brockway.
   The witness acknowledged having testified before the legislative committee that he was opposed to corporal punishment as it tended to brutalize the party inflicting the same. When the inmates, during punishment, turned their heads to look at him, the witness acknowledged having slapped them over the head with the paddle. A great many prisoners came to the bathroom that were not punished, only admonished. There were instances when a great deal of force was used by the officers to place the men in the position. In the case of Johnson there was a regular "scrimmage." In these scrimmages the officers would hit the inmate anywhere they could. They might frequently hit him on the head. He had seen a man get up from the [floor] with his nose bleeding.
   There were instances when he hit inmates over the head when they did not turn round, but by their manner signified defiance.
   "And you gave these blows, I suppose in the same quiet, cool manner?" asked Judge Gilbert.
   "Yes," replied Brockway very firmly, "I gave at the time a lighter blow than the one I would administer on the buttocks."
   There were two paddle straps, but on some occasions when the straps were not handy a three-quarter inch rubber hose 38 inches long [was] used instead. This was about five years ago. The punishment was inflicted in the afternoon about 1 o'clock. He could not remember that more than six inmates had been paddled in one day. He had seen blood flowing from the nose and over the mouth of some inmates, but he could not say whether any teeth were missing.
   Mr. Brockway then explained all about the prisoners in solitary rest cure and reception cells, and why they were sent there and the diet given them. If an inmate got less than two rations a day in rest cure it must have been ordered so by the superintendent himself.
   The records show that inmate William Clark, No. 4290, was confined for 20 days in a rest cure cell on one ration of six ounces of broad per day and then 40 days more on two rations of six ounces each per day.
   The commissioners then adjourned for the day.

Apportionment Adopted After a Long and Lively Debate—Judiciary Article Passed—Measure Prohibiting Sale of Forest Lands Also Passed—All Attempts to Legislate In Favor of Stopping Niagara  Grants Defeated.
   ALBANY, Sept. 14.—The work of the constitutional convention for the day consisted in passing these amendments:
   The judiciary article—ayes, 110; noes, 38.
   The forestry article—ayes, 123.
   The apportionment article, making 50 senators and 150 assemblymen—ayes, 96; noes, 60.
   The body defeated all attempts to legislate in favor of stopping riparian grants at Niagara.
   The convention got itself into an almost unrivaled tangle over the Niagara matter. There were no less than six amendments that were carried to stop big corporations from getting power for nothing. Nevertheless it was still insisted that none of them were sufficient to cover the case. Finally the chair closed the debate and sent the amendments to final vote.
   The whole matter was finally killed by the convention rejecting all amendments on the subject by a vote of about 10 to 1.
   The chair closed the discussion and ordered the taking up of the apportionment measure.
   Mr. Dean (Rep.) offered an amendment leaving the members of the senate at 32 and assemblymen at 50, but providing for an apportionment and a caucus taken in 1895.
   Mr. Tekulsky offered an amendment to straighten out the lines in the senatorial districts he represents.
   Mr. Jenkins offered an amendment to change the Brooklyn districts and it took its place on the clerk's desk.
   Mr. Becker offered an amendment changing the Sixteenth ward of Buffalo from the Forty-seventh district to the Forty-eighth and the Sixth ward from the Forty-eighth to the Forty-seventh.
   The chair after considerable debate announced that the time for debate had ended.
   Mr. Tekulsky's amendment to add a block to senate district 13, the block bounded by Dornwich, Varick and Broome streets, was adopted. Yeas, 97; nays, 60. Mr. Root had no objection to the amendment.
   Mr. Becker's motion to change the Buffalo districts was carried.
   All of the other amendments (made by Democrats) were defeated as was Mr. Dean's amendment to insert a complete substitute. Yeas, 53; nays, 91.
   The pending question was now the final vote on apportionment.
   The roll was called to see if a quorum was present and it was announced that the house was ready to act. At 8:15 the clerk began the reading of the bill.
   The only changes in it were the transfer of the Sixteenth ward of Buffalo from the Forty-seventh to the Forty-eighth and the Second ward from the Forty-eighth to the Forty-seventh district. One block was also added to the Tenth senatorial district in New York city. The rollcall began at 8:35.
   Many of the members took the opportunity to explain their votes and much time was consumed in the rollcall.
   The call proceeded and the vote was announced—yeas, 96, all Republicans; nays, 60, one of which (Mr. Dean) being cast by a Republican. It provides for 50 senators to 150 assemblymen.
   The caucus resolution to adjourn on Saturday at noon until the following Thursday brought Mr. Cochran to his feet. He said that the majority had insisted that there were no politics in the convention, and yet this adjournment was asked so that the Republicans could attend a state convention. It was not attending to public business to take such an adjournment.
   Mr. Cochran was trying to take up the time until 10 o'clock, when Mr. Hedges interrupted the speech by withdrawing the resolution. Immediately he renewed it and demanded cloture. There were hisses from the Democratic side and applause by Republicans.
   The chair decided that he announced another order of business, the forestry matter, and the resolution could not be offered. (Democratic applause.)
   Mr. Root asked for a half hour extension and the Democrats asked for a rollcall.
   The motion was carried and then Mr. Hodges again introduced his resolution for adjournment.
   Mr. Nicoll made a strong argument against adjournment for political purposes, even though the caucus had decreed it.
   Mr. Burr thought that the body could very well afford to sit and dispose of some of the labor matters.
   The resolution of Mr. Hodges was adopted and the convention will adjourn from Saturday noon until Thursday morning.
   At 10:30 Mr. Root moved that the session be extended until 11:30.
   Adopted, and the body took up the forestry amendment prohibiting the sale of land or timber on forest lands of the state. The amendment was passed—ayes, 123.

W. C. T. U.
   The ninth annual convention of the Woman's Christian Temperance union of Cortland county met in the Baptist church in Cincinnatus, Sept. 5 and 6. The warm weather, the dusty roads and the high hills made the journey thither seem rather tedious, but at its end was a royal welcome.
   The president, Mrs. J. W. Keese, called the convention to order at 2 o'clock. Committees were appointed after the first devotional service, which was conducted by Mrs. H. M. Burroughs, president of the entertaining union.
   Mrs. Mary J. Weaver of Batavia, national superintendent of evangelistic work, was present through the entire session and was a source of pleasure and profit at all times.
   Annual reports from most of the superintendents were given, showing much good work done, but "the half has never been told." An excellent paper was read by Mrs. Julia Tanner upon "What the W. C. T. U. has Done," covering the period from its birth at Chautauqua twenty-one years ago to the present time. Much of its work has been done so quietly that the world has scarcely known what power has brought it about. Truly our hearts did burn within us as we listened, some perhaps for the first time, to the story of the many influences set in motion, the victories won by the organization which is sometimes fitly called "organized motherhood.''
   This curse which is blighting the homes and breaking the hearts of the womanhood of Cortland county makes all hearts kin.
   Mrs. Weaver delivered the address of the evening to a full house. She is a very forcible, but kindly speaker. She never antagonizes her audience, but leaves the impression that the subject has been fairly, though plainly and truthfully treated.
   Election of officers resulted as follows:
   President—Mrs. J. W. Keese.
   Vice-president—Mrs. Julia Tanner.
   Cor. Sec.—Miss Sara Hare.
   Rec. Sec.—Miss Libbie Robertson.
   Treasurer—Mrs. Jennie Boynton.
   Among the resolutions adopted was the following:
   WHEREAS, We feel the crying need of the hour is for a standard of righteousness and truth to be lifted in this county to stay the onsweeping tide of crime and lawlessness, to check the treasonable lawbreaking which everywhere prevails; therefore the Cortland County Woman's Christian Temperance union in annual convention assembled, do hereby
   Resolve, First, that we will go home to our local unions to urge them to  increased consecration and endeavor.
   Resolve, Second, That we all undertake to do practical work through the county in such manner as may seem best, to the end that Christian temperance men and women may be led to assert themselves and follow the lead of the Master in casting out from our midst this accursed traffic in alcoholic drinks.
   Resolve, Third, That our executive board be requested to formulate some plan of action, to this end, in the meeting to be held immediately on adjournment of this meeting.
   In compliance with this request a series of addresses are being arranged for Mrs. Weaver through the county.
   Convention adjourned at noon on Thursday.

   —Rev. H. W. Carr will read a lecture next Sunday evening at the Universalist church. Subject—"Joan of Arc."
   —Lewis Shaw of Binghamton died on Saturday, aged 106. He was born in Willet, Cortland Co. He had no known relatives at the time of his death.
   —Mrs. Anna T. Winch, a Watertown widow, 76 years old who is worth $75,000, was yesterday married to Archie Wiltsie, a painter of Syracuse, who is 25 years old.
   —There will be a match shoot Saturday afternoon at 1 o'clock for one hundred birds at the grounds of the Cortland Gun club between the villages, between teams from Cortland, Syracuse and Cazenovia.
   —The C. M. B. A. are making preparations to hold another of their popular socials next Tuesday evening. The committee who have it in charge are Messrs. Charles Corcoran, M. T. Roche and P. Kernan
   —Our prediction in May last that "The Guarantee Hernia Cure Co." had selected a competent business manager in Mr. H. S. Hudson has been fully verified as will be seen by the article in another column headed "Cortland's Fame Spreading."
   — Last year there were 293 applicants for Cornell scholarships. This year there were 174. President Schurman explains the decrease by the statement that the hard times have reached the middling classes. Last year the distress was felt mostly by the monied men.—Ithaca Democrat.
   —A Syracuse mail clerk yesterday began going to Albany to meet the New York mail train leaving Albany at 8:15 A. M., and while on the way back to Syracuse he distributed all the New York mail and all the local way mail for 52 carriers in Syracuse. The mail is thrown off at Vanderbilt Square in Syracuse, as the train passes the postoffice, and the New York mail is now distributed in Syracuse an hour and a half earlier than ever before.

Word From A. L. DeMond.
   A Cortland friend of Mr. A. L. DeMond, a graduate of the Normal in
June 1889, and for a number of years the successful teacher of a colored school at Fort Payne, Ala., has received a letter from that gentleman, part of which we are permitted to use for the benefit of his Cortland friends:
   I thought you might be glad to hear a word from me and about my work. I have had quite a successful year both in the school and mission work. Two of the school girls passed the examination for teachers' certificates and are now teaching schools in the country. I am preparing to leave Fort Payne. As I have decided to engage largely in mission and church work, I feel the need of special preparation for that work. I am going to Washington, D. C to take a theological course in Howard university, I will leave for Washington about the 20th of September.

Died in His Chair.
   Rev. Dr. Charles S. Pomeroy, pastor of the Second Presbyterian church of Cleveland, O., since 1873, and uncle of Mr. Charles S. Pomeroy of Homer and Mr. Julius S. Pomerey of Winona, Minn., died in his chair, almost without warning, Monday night. He was born in Brooklyn, July 7, 1834, graduated from Columbia college in 1854, and took a course at the Union Theological seminary and in May, 1864, was licensed to preach. The same year be was called to the Ross-st. Presbyterian church, Brooklyn. In a few years, under his pastorate, this church became one of the largest and most influential in the city. He then went to Cleveland. Dr. Pomeroy has preached several times very acceptably at the Presbyterian church in Cortland, and quite often at the Congregational church in Homer.

Cortland's Fame Spreading.
   Cortland seems destined to become as well known in medical circles as she already is in manufacturing. Mr. H. S. Hudson, by his management of The Guarantee Hernia Cure Co., is spreading her fame abroad, and bringing many sufferers to her seeking relief. Yesterday the president of a national bank in Pennsylvania, accompanied by his family physician, Dr. U. G. Mease, came 200 miles to witness and receive the company's treatment for hernia or rupture. The name would be given but for Mr. Hudson's rule never to mention the name of patients. H. B. Gee, M. D., editor of the Medical Reporter, also came from Rochester, where he has charge of an office and administers the treatment for the company in that city. Dr. A. J. White of this village administered the treatment to several patients to the satisfaction of every one. The treatment has proven so successful wherever tried that patients are multiplying at a wonderful rate. (578-1t)

Result of An Operation.
   Florence Hitchcock, daughter of Mr. C. B. Hitchcock, had the misfortune eight or ten weeks ago to break her right leg. It did not heal as rapidly as it should have done and Dr. F. D. Reese performed an operation a few days ago. He found and extracted a piece of a stick one and one-half inches long and about a quarter of an inch in diameter. The little girl is now doing finely.

Admitted to the Bar.
   A dispatch received from Messrs. Chester G. Smith and F. B. Haring at noon to-day, stated that they had made their examinations at Utica, which would admit them to the bar. Mr. Haring has been an industrious student with Kellogg & Van Hoesen and Mr. Smith has for some time been faithfully studying with Attorney W. C. Crombie. Both are energetic young men and are deserving of a full measure of success.

   VIRGIL, Sept. 13.—The annual gathering of the Hutchings family was held  on Thursday last. The family kindly included the Virgil correspondent and wife. The gathering was held at the home of Mr. Samuel Hutchings which is one of the best farm residences in Virgil. The house stands on a small eminence and is a very large one and a well constructed building. At the time of its construction Mr. and Mrs. Hutchings had reached a point in life when it was not necessary for them to work the farm themselves and preferring to live on it, the building was made for two families and is occupied by the proprietor and a tenant farmer and is nicely arranged for both. The two large barns across the road are nearly new and are in good shape and capable of holding all of the horses which were used in bringing the 200 or more people which were in attendance. The tables were set under a large tent erected near the house and an excellent dinner was furnished.
   One of the features of the day was the music by a select choir consisting of Mr. Emery Bowdish, leader, Messrs. Dayton, and Frank Barnes and Rudolph Price, Mrs. P. Barnes, Mrs. Howard Hutchings, Miss Jennie Watrous and Mrs. Ora Bays, organist. Mrs. A. C. Smith gave a vocal selection which received well merited praise.
   Receiving an invitation from Mr. Hutchings' resident farmer, Mr. Emory Bowdish, to look over his crops, stock and goods, we were glad to find our old friend in good shape with his part of the large house nicely furnished, crops of all kinds good, a half interest in the farm stock and some new farm machinery.
   Among others whom we were glad to greet there was Mr. Henry Lewis of Groton, well known to all in this town. Henry, while growing old with the rest of us, is looking well.
   Prof. Bell was present and photographed the group collectively and in families.
   The family closed a very pleasant reunion by electing Samuel Hutchings president and appointing their next place of meeting at Mr. Clayton Hutchings' of this place.
   On Monday morning the law suit between Robert and George Morehead, plaintiffs, and Geo. Hyde, defendant, was commenced in Judge Winslow's court. David Van Hoesen for plaintiffs, and John Courtney for defendant, with Messrs. Vivas Johnson, P. E. Price, Sylvester Oaks, G. M. Trapp, R. E. Holton, and John Elliott jurors. The parties live near South Cortland. The action was brought by Morehead Bros. against Mr. Hyde for shooting their shepherd dog, Mr. Hyde claiming justification from the fact that the dog had become a nuisance by continuing to run away from home and coming around his house, but offering to pay reasonable damages. The case drew a large crowd and was well tried by both lawyers and resulted in a disagreement of the jury.
   During the storm one week ago last Sunday evening, lightning struck a cherry tree near Mr. Frank Hutchings' large barn. The Tuesday evening following, one of his work team broke its leg and had to be killed.
   Mrs. Martin Davern visited friends in Syracuse last week and attended the fair.
   On Saturday last the Conrad family held a family reunion at Mr. William Conrad's. The family descended from John Conrad who came here several years ago from Montgomery county. Of his family only Peter Conrad remained in this part, the rest removing to the West. The family have gained in numbers until it is now a good sized one, Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Conrad standing at the head of the list with ten children. Some of them married and some of the rest, allowing us to be a good judge of such things, are preparing to celebrate that important event in life's history in the near future. The day fixed upon opened with rain and many did not go on that account but 120 people put in an appearance. Mr. Conrad kindly gave all his neighbors in the Morse district an invitation to come and enjoy the day with them. Mr. Conrad's new house received a genuine house warming and it proved amply sufficient for the occasion. Tables were spread in two of the large rooms below. The parlor, upper rooms and the spacious veranda furnished plenty of room for all. As good a dinner as could be asked for was furnished. About 3 o'clock the rain ceased and the swings and croquet ground on the shaded lawn occupied the attention of the young people. Among others whom we were glad to greet there were Mr. Eugene Johnson of Marathon, Mrs. Wilbur Youngs of Taylor, formerly Miss Emma Keyes whose early life was spent here. Rev. Mr. Dayton was present and delivered an address which was well received and appropriate to the occasion. Prof. Bell photographed the group taking a first rate negative and informs us that he will have the pictures of this and Hutchings group at the Dryden fair where any one can secure them. The day closed by electing B. E. Conrad, president; and Mrs. B. E Conrad, secretary. They decided to hold their next gathering at their home in Lapeer on the last Saturday in August, 1895. The residents of the Morse district are under obligations to the Conrad family for a day very pleasantly spent in their company.
   Mrs. Fletcher and daughters of Cortland spent Sunday at the M. E. parsonage and attended services at the M. E. church.
   The Ladies' Aid society of the Baptist church will hold a poverty social at the church on Friday evening, Sept. 21, 1894. The lady and gentleman looking the most seedy and poverty stricken will receive a prize. A literary program will be furnished interspersed with singing. All are invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment