Sunday, July 23, 2017


Zebulon R. Brockway.

Cortland Evening Standard, Thursday, September 6, 1894.

All Deny Having Practiced Cruelty Upon Inmates or Seeing Brockway Abuse Them—Testimony of Many Inmates Denied Specifically—Sharp Questioning
Fails to Bring Out Admissions Derogatory to the Superintendent.
   NEW YORK, Sept. 6.—James G. Coleman, who has been employed as a keeper since March 7, 1894, was sworn. He knew John Murray and saw him in the hospital for two weeks before he died on the 10th of June. Finnegan, the hospital steward, helped the witness to dress Murray after death and he did not see any marks of discoloration or bruises on the dead man's body. He had witnessed about 12 spankings in the bathroom, but had never seen Keepers Halpin, Murphy and Lasenby strike or kick any of the inmates. He had seen Brockway strike some of the inmates while in the bathroom, over the head with part of the strap of the paddle for turning their heads. He saw as many as 22 men brought to the bathroom in one day, but not more than half of them were punished. He was stationed outside of the room of that particular day.
   In reply to Judge Gilbert, he said he assisted in bringing the deceased man, Murray, to the bathroom twice for punishment, but the witness did not see him punished. The last time was about three weeks before Murray's death. Murray was dressed when leaving the bathroom and the witness saw no marks on him. Murray was taken to the hospital about five days later. He did not see any marks under Murray's arms. He did not look there.
   Mr. Stanchfield tried to get the witness to change his statement as to the number of days previous to the death of Murray on which Murray received the last punishment, but Coleman said that to the best of his opinion it was about three weeks.
   The prison records show, however, that the last day Murray was spanked was April 28. He was admitted to the hospital May 30 and died on June 10 of last year.
   After recess John L. Berthold, instructor of gymnastics in the reformatory for about six years, testified that he knew an inmate named Jacob Lippman, who was under his instruction. He denied ever having struck the man and never struck or kicked a man named Cox.
   The testimony given by the last named inmate was to the effect that Berthold was in the habit of striking the inmates under his charge. He also denied ever having used threatening language toward any of the inmates.
   He had seen about 75 men bathing every day and he had never seen any cuts or bruises on their bodies; but he had seen some discolorations. He never saw Mr. Brockway maltreat any man and never heard him use any profane language.
   After a long examination of Commissioner Flint as to the several exercises which the inmates were put through in the gymnasium Berthold quit the stand.
   Lawyer Stanchfield then called Dr. W. H. Seymour of Brooklyn, who made an autopsy on the body of a man named Patrick McGowan, who had formerly been an inmate of the reformatory. He said that death was not due to any external violence but pulmonary consumption.
   Peter Finnegan, hospital steward of the Elmira reformatory, was next called. He had been there for about two years. He never gave a bandage or lotion to inmate Colelough.  Inmate Murray, No. 5355, died of pneumonia, but he never saw any marks or abrasions on Murray's dead body when he was undressed.
   He never saw any inmates taken to the hospital for injuries received in the bathroom. He never saw Brockway, Winne, Lazenby or McLaughlin strike or abuse any of the inmates.
   The witness had seen men brought to the hospital from the workshops suffering and bleeding from wounds received there. He was not present when Murray died. Night Nurse O'Brien was with him at the time.
   Foreman Robert E. Wood of the umbrella department in the reformatory was next examined. He has been there about two years.
   Lawyer Stanchfield then called a witness who said he was a former inmate of the reformatory.
   Chairman Learned said that his name was not to be published, but he would be known by the name of Ransom.
   He said he was a graduate of Yale college and had been sent to Elmira on a charge of larceny. He was employed as a clerk in the storeroom. He saw about 500 of the inmates every day. He never saw any black eyes, bruises or discolorations on any of their faces.
   The last witness of the day was Patrick McLaughlin, who has been employed as a keeper in the reformatory for 18 years. The witness had been present at nearly 1,000 spankings and never saw Brockway, Winnie, Halpin or anyone else kick or hit an inmate.
   Cross-examined by Judge Gilbert, McLaughlin said he had seen about 5 per cent of those punished hit with the strap on the head for turning round and about 1 per cent he saw bleeding from the nose by coming in contact with the strap.
   The commission then adjourned.

No More Sweating Among Coatmakers.
   NEW YORK, Sept. 6.—The big strike of the coatmakers was practically settled last evening. This morning 7,000 of the 14,000 coatmakers who have been out since Saturday morning will go back to their work on their own terms. The other 7,000 will probably be similarly employed by the first of next week though there are many details yet to be settled.
   This victory lifts the coatmakers of this city wholly from the sweating system. According to the terms now agreed to by the contractors, coatmakers will work hereafter by the week, counting ten hours to the working day. Operators will now receive $15 a week, basters $13, pressors $10, and finishers $9. These earnings are more than double those possible under the sweating system.

Constitutional Convention.
   ALBANY, Sept. 6.—When the session of the constitutional convention opened Mr. Cornwell presented a memorial from the Agricultural society, representing all the farmers in the state, asking for a pro rata freight rate for the railroads in the state and asking the passage of the McDonough bill to transfer the canals of the state to the national government as they were now used for national purposes and were a great burden of taxation to the people. It would also abolish the canal ring. The proposed apportionment article was then taken up and the balance of the session was devoted to debate on it.

Reported Arab Revolt.
   ADEN, Sept. 8.—Rumors have reached here of a revolt of the Arab tribes in the Yemen district. The Arabs are reported to have blown up several official buildings.

Richard Sibley Obtains an Order In Action In New York.
   NEW YORK, Sept. 6.—At a special term of the supreme court an order was obtained in the suit of Richard C. Sibley against the New York Times Publishing company, to compel the defendant company to give to the plaintiff a copy or to permit the plaintiff to take copies of the original agreement which he signed, in conjunction with others, subscribing for $50,000 of the stock of that company, and also to compel the company to deposit the document in the office of the clerk of the court for three days for examination and inspection of the plaintiff and his attorneys and to permit him to make copies. In default thereof, the defendant company must on Sept. 10 show cause why the prayer of the petitioner should not be granted.
   The paper upon this application alleges in substance that fraud was practiced upon the plaintiff in securing his subscription; that some of the stock was issued to promoters of that company without any pecuniary consideration, in violation of the subscription agreement; that more stock was issued than the amount agreed upon for the purchase of the paper, and that when the stock subscribed for was issued to the plaintiff, it was found to contain conditions governing the transfer which were not included in the subscription agreement.
   Mr. Sibley also avers an information and belief that The Times company "is in a precarious financial condition, and that its business has not been successful."

At the Normal.
   The total number of new students admitted to the Normal up to noon to-day was 149. About a dozen more failed to pass the examinations in a single subject and will be permitted to try another examination next week. If they pass, it will make the total number of new students far higher than that of any previous year in the history of the school. Present indications are that the total registration of the school for the present term will exceed 500 students, which is unprecedented.

   About fifty of the friends of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. W. Winter assembled at their pleasant home, 55 Lincoln-ave., to witness the marriage of their daughter Mary Louise, to Mr. Judson G. Barnes, I. Whiteson's popular clerk. The parlors were very beautifully decorated with an abundance of cut flowers. Albert W. Barnes, of DeRuyter, brother of the groom, acted as usher.
   At half past 8 o'clock the bridal party entered the parlor to the strains of the Mendelssohn Wedding March, played by Miss Nellie E. Barnes, and took their places under an arch of evergreens, tastily decorated with orange blossoms and other white flowers. The ceremony was performed by Rev. W. H. Pound, assisted by Dr. L. H. Pearce, The bride looked lovely in cream Henrietta, trimmed with lace, and carried a bouquet of white roses, The presents were numerous and beautiful.
   The bridal couple left on the 11:20 train for New York and Long Island. On their return they will make their home in Cortland on Railroad-st.

A Serenade.
   Canton Lincoln, No. 38, I. O. O. F. of Syracuse, Commander Lewis Stuber, Capt. Frederick Sembach, Lieut. John Haberle, Ensign Frederick Laass, and companied by Goettel's band of seventeen pieces, favored the STANDARD office this morning with a delightful serenade. The Canton, which numbers 50 members, is one of the most prominent branches of the order in this state and is made up of a most genial and companionable membership, while the band is one of the leading musical organizations of the Salt City. The fine appearance of the Canton and the excellent music drew quite a crowd. Canton and band are at the Dexter House.

An Evening Company.
   Mr. and Mrs. Silas W, Sherwood last evening entertained a small company of friends at their home, 12 East Court-st. Dancing and cards were in order. Dainty refreshments were served about 11 o'clock and the company separated at a late hour. The guests were Dr. and Mrs. David Eugene Smith of Ypsilanli, Mich., Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Southworth of New York, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Puder and Miss Lottie Tyson of Savannah, Ga., Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Jewett, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. P. Hollenbeck, Misses Cornelia L, Brown and Cornelia A. White, and Messrs. O. A. Kinney, T. N. Hollister and E. L. Pierce.

Surprise Party.
   A very delightful surprise party was given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gershom Fuller about five miles west of the village last Friday evening. The party was in honor of their son Archibald. There were games of all kinds, and light refreshments were served at 12 o'clock. The party broke up at 2 o'clock. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose Delany, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Goodwin, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Fuller, Misses Pearl Fuller, Fannie Delany, Edith Hammond, Stella Sears, Annis and Lottie Bentley, Nellie Byram, May Blanchard, Jennie Horton, Lillian Hotchkiss, Messrs. Bert Sears, Cy Backus, James Miller, Frank Delany, Floyd Bentley, Bert Youmans, Frederick Kirk, Ralph Horton, Charles Luker, William Delany and Ed Sykes.

Take Place This Evening.
Patriarchs Militant ball at armory.

Steamer Laura A. Darragh at dock on Cayuga Lake.
   —There were 108 persons in the Y. M. C. A. rooms yesterday.
   —The long delayed rain which arrived last night was of short duration.
   —Mr. Willis Holmes of 81 Pomeroy-st. has on his premises a pear tree upon which are pears nearly ripe and also upon another part of the tree buds and blossoms. It seems to be the meeting of May and September.
   —The Loyal Circle of King's Daughters will hold a meeting at 54 N. Main-st., Friday, Sept. 7, at 2:30 P. M. As this is the first meeting after a two months' vacation, it is hoped that there will be a good attendance.
   —Miss Emily C. Ormsby will be at her former private school building, 18 Court-st. on Saturday morning, Sept. 8, to meet any of her former pupils who may have property there or who may wish to consult her for any reason.
   —Last Saturday while unloading some hogs from a wagon, Austin Ryan had the misfortune to have an unruly porker, weighing some 300 pounds, jump on his right leg, which he had on the wagon, bracing to pull the animal out. Both went to the ground, and Mr. Ryan had one of the bones of his leg broken, just above the ankle.—Marathon Independent.
   —A Cayuga Bridge correspondent of the Ithaca Journal says: "The steamer, 'Laura A. Darragh,' narrowly escaped being beached Monday night on account of the dense smoke which hung over the lake. The light of a lantern south of the village was mistaken for the light on the dock, the steamer was steered toward the false light, but just as her keel was about to touch the shore the error was discovered and a safe landing was effected. The officers decided that it would be perilous to attempt to make the return trip to Sheldrake, so the boat waited at the dock for daylight."
   —Yesterday was a great day in Auburn. It would be hard to estimate the thousands who crowded the Cayuga county fair grounds to do honor to Governor William McKinley. All who heard him felt paid many times over for their time and trouble. Besides Governor McKinley, ex-Senator J. Sloat Fassett, Congressman Payne and ex-Senator George B. Sloan of Oswego made telling speeches. The governor's address was non-partisan, but the others answered to the demand for straight Republicanism, and called out responses which showed very clearly the drift of public sentiment. Mayor Geo. W. Aldridge and Judge Werner of Rochester were among those present. Many friends called upon Governor McKinley at the residence of General William H. Seward in the morning, and in the evening a general reception was held in the armory.

Annual Meeting of the Tioughnioga Club.
   The annual meeting of the Tioughnioga club was held last evening and was presided over by President Wesley Hooker. Reports from the secretary and treasurer of the club, and from the treasurer of the relief committee were read and adopted. The secretary's report showed a net increase of eleven members during the past year. The treasurer's report showed the club entirely free from debt and a handsome balance in the treasury. The treasurer of the relief committee reported the amount of money and provisions subscribed by the members and the number of families relieved, and that a considerable balance of cash remained on hand. The committee was, on motion, continued.
   The following members were then elected as directors for three years: Messrs. Albert Allen, E. D. Blodgett, W. H. Newton, F. J. Peck, A. F. Stilson. D. W. Van Hoesen was also elected to fill the vacancy for two years caused by the resignation of Mr. Hooker.
   The following preamble and resolution were offered by Judge Eggleston and unanimously adopted:
   Mr. Wesley Hooker, having resigned the office of director of this club at this time, and he during the past year, having filled this position and also that of president acceptably to the members of the club, and believing that much of our success and prosperity as a social organization is due to his untiring zeal and labor in our behalf, therefore be it
   Resolved, That we, the members of the Tioughnioga club of Cortland, N. Y., assembled in annual meeting, do extend to Mr. Wesley Hooker our sincere thanks for the very able and impartial manner with which he has as president and director of the club performed the duties pertaining to those offices and we desire to express to him in this form our kind appreciation of his labor in our behalf, and we do assure him that the same will ever be held by us in kindly remembrance.
   The following resolution, offered by D. W. Van Hoesen, was also unanimously adopted:
   Resolved, That the members of the Tioughnioga club, at this their annual meeting, do hereby express their appreciation of the able, painstaking and efficient manner in which their secretary, Mr. F. D. Smith, has performed the duties of that office, and further that they also take this opportunity to declare their sense of obligation to Mr. C. P. Walrad for his service to the club as its first, and hitherto its only, treasurer.
   After the annual meeting of the club the board of directors held a meeting and elected the following officers:
   President—Hon. J. E. Eggleston.
   Vice-President—Albert Allen.
   Secretary—Edward Alley.
   Treasurer—Frank J. Peck.
   The house committee for the following month will be: Messrs. Albert Allen, Edward Alley, Fitz Boynton.

No comments:

Post a Comment