Wednesday, July 12, 2017


Eugene V. Debs.

The Cortland Democrat, Friday, July 30, 1894.


They Refuse to Accept Bail and Will Be Tried Next Monday.
   CHICAGO, July 17.—There was a sensational climax late this afternoon to the troubles that have disturbed railroad circles during the past three weeks when president Eugene V. Debs of the American Railway Union and his cabinet, Vice-president George W. Howard, General Secretary Sylvester Keliher and L. W. Rogers, chairman of the executive committee, were taken to the county jail and incarcerated as prisoners of the United States for violation of the injunction issued July 2 by Judges Woods and Grosscup, restraining them from combining and conspiring to hinder inter-State commerce traffic or the movement of United States mails.
   The imprisonment of the chiefs of the Railway Union was not in any sense an arbitrary proceeding.
   Although predicated upon what the courts regarded as an open and defiant violation of orders previously issued, an opportunity was afforded the defendants on presenting bonds for their appearance in court a week hence.
   This proposition, however, was rejected on the ground, as emphasized by President Debs after the court had rendered its ultimatum, that the principle involved was one entirely too serious in its nature to admit of the defendants availing themselves of any technicalities that might be regarded as loopholes in the law.
   Bondsmen offered aid to the Union leaders, but their overtures were declined and the prisoners suffered themselves to be taken to jail and locked up.
   There, unless in the meantime they should tire of the incarceration, they will remain until Monday morning of next week.
   The proceedings that resulted in this climax were inaugurated in the United States Circuit Court this morning when special counsel for the United States, Edwin Walker, and U. S. Attorney Milchrist appeared before Judge Seamans to present information against President Debs and his associates, charging them with violation of the injunction.
   In support of the contention of the government, several scores of telegrams, which had been secured from a telegraph company under a ruling of the court, were cited. These are specimens of the whole:
   ''To Court Head, South Butte, Mont. The general managers are weakening. If strike is not settled in 48 hours, complete paralysis will follow. Potatoes and ice are out of sight. Save your money and buy a gun. E. V. DEBS.''
   ''W. F. Smith, Grand Junction, Col. It will take more than injunctions to move trains. Get everybody out. We are gaining ground everywhere. E. V. DEBS."
   Only a few of these dispatches had been read when Judge Seamans interrupted to remark that sufficient had been shown to indicate a wilful and deliberate violation of the injunction, and thereupon counsel for the government concluded with a prayer for an attachment against the defendants and their punishment for contempt of court.
   An information, somewhat similar in its terms, was then filed by George R. Peck, general counsel for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe road.
   President Debs was the only representative of the Union in court during the morning session.
   He was accompanied by W. W. Erwin, of St. Paul, special counsel for the Union, W. A. Shoemaker, of St. Paul, his law partner and S. S. Gregory of Chicago.
   When the representatives of the government had concluded their argument, Attorney Gregory took the ground that the information failed to charge any one of the four defendants with personal participation in violence or destruction of property and contended that no case had been stated that called for the cognizance of the court. He laid stress upon the argument that the government was moving for the protection of the railroads and that its power and authority were being exercised to vindicate the property rights of railroads.
   Discussion was cut short by the court, the judge ordering writs of attachment to issue against Debs and his associates, returnable at 2 o'clock.
   Instructions were given to United States Marshal Arnold to waive personal service with the understanding that the defendants would voluntarily surrender themselves.
   At the opening of court in the afternoon Debs, Howard, Keliher and Rogers were in hand.
   After arguments by counsel, Judge Seamans fixed the hearing for Monday at [10 o'clock,] and added $3,000 to the bail of each of the defendants.
   At 4:30 Marshal Arnold escorted them to an open carriage, in which they were driven to the county jail.
   No feature of jail methods was relaxed in their behalf. At the demand of the turnkeys they held up their hands and submitted to a search.
   They were deprived of all valuables and led to cells in the debtors' department.

George M. Pullman.
He Says the Company Has Been Doing Business at a Loss.
   NEW YORK, July 14.—George M. Pullman has at last made a statement to the public. In this he says:
   "What is the demand concealed under the innocently sounding word 'arbitration?' A little more than a year ago the car shops at Pullman were in a prosperous condition, work was plenty, wages were high, and the condition of the employes was indicated by the fact that the local savings bank had of savings deposits nearly $700,000, of which nearly all was the property of the employes. Our pay rolls for that year show an average earning of more than $600 per annum for every person on the roll. Then came the great panic and depression of last summer. Many customers stopped negotiations and cancelled orders and our working force had to be diminished from nearly 6,000 to about 2,000, in November, 1893. The great business depression existing throughout the country had naturally resulted in a wage depression and the only hope of getting orders was by bidding for work at prices as low or lower than could be made by other shops and this of course necessitated a reduction in the wages of the employes at Pullman. This was arranged satisfactorily, as I supposed, and in close competition, disregarding all account of capital and machinery, I secured enough work to gradually increase our force to 4,200, the number on the rolls last April.
   "In the early part of May a committee of the employes demanded a restoration of the wages of a year ago. I explained to this committee minutely and laboriously the facts, showing that the company was already paying them more than it was receiving for their contract work, and I offered them for complete assurance and to end all questions an inspection of our books and contracts in hand. This and the beginning at Pullman of a proposed careful investigation of a number of shop complaints seemed to end all trouble, but a few days later, under the excitement of their recruiting into the new organization, the workmen closed the shops by abandoning their work, thus themselves doing what I was strenuously trying to prevent being done by the depression of the car-building business, and the employes who have quit their work have deprived themselves and their comrades of earnings of more than $300,000 up to this time. The demand made before quitting work was that the wages should be restored to the scale of last year, or in effect that the actual outgoing money losses then being daily incurred by the company in car- building should be deliberately increased to an amount equaling about one fourth of the wages of the employes.
   "It must be clear to every business man and to every thinking workman that no prudent employer could submit to arbitration the question whether he should commit such a piece of business folly. Arbitration always implies acquiescence in the decision of the arbitrator, whether favorable or adverse. How could I, as president of the Pullman company, consent to agree that if any body of men not concerned with the interests of the company's shareholders should, as arbitrators for any reasons seeming good to them, so decree. I would open the shops, employ workmen at wages greater than their work could be sold for and continue this ruinous policy indefinitely, or be accused of a breach of faith! Who will deny that such a question is plainly not a subject for arbitration?"

More Burglars.
   Last week Wednesday night burglars entered the Fair store in the Standard building and carried off between $75 and $100 worth of jewelry. They effected an entrance by removing a light of glass from the rear door, which was found next morning lying on the ground and unbroken. One dozen gentlemen's gold rings and about five dozen ladies' gold rings were taken. The money drawer and safe were not molested. There is no clue to the perpetrators of the job.
   Last Friday night burglars had a high old time in Theodore Evarts' saloon on Port Watson-st. They bored a hole through one of the panels in the back door and undertook to unfasten the bolt, but failing in this they broke a pane of glass in one of the windows of the billiard room and entered. They evidently partook heartily of all the good things to be found in the place, and from the appearance of things the next morning, must have remained some time.
   B. S. Weyant, who lives over the store, heard them having a merry time for a good share of the night, but thinking that the proprietor might be entertaining some friends did not get up. The cash register, valued at $130, was found on Clayton-ave. the next morning badly broken. A large stone had evidently been used to batter it in pieces. They secured the two dollars in change which was left in the register the night before.
   Mr. Evarts has no means of knowing how many cigars were taken but he thinks the amount was considerable. There is no clew to the robbers but it is believed that the job was done by local talent.

C. W. C. Tournament.
   The Cortland Wheel club fully verified all that has been said of it as a rain-maker, last Saturday. Though no rain fell during the races, the track was made very slow by what fell before then, and many people who would have attended were kept away by threatening weather, and financially the boys are left about $100 to the bad, the postponement having caused nearly as much expense as two meets would have cost.
   There were eleven starters in the road race which left the Cortland House at 1:20. The roads were very muddy except between Homer and Little York. F. W. Melvin who had 3 1/2 minutes handicap came on the track first and finished his sixteen miles in 55:14 1/2. He was on his second lap when C. T. Miner of Binghamton came in. He had 1 minute handicap and won the time prize in 54:56. Third came J. A. Maynard of Cortland; fourth, H. F. Lewis, Syracuse; fifth, A. F. Senn, Whitesboro; sixth, C. H. Knowland, Syracuse.
   The second event was the one-mile novice, which had a splendid finish, F. J. Barry of Syracuse making a fine spurt under the wire and winning in 2:39, Herman Dietz second, and Sydney Ketchum third.
   The one mile open had eight starters and was won by F. J. Jenney of Utica in 2:39 3/4; Murray of Syracuse second, and Benjamin third. The half mile for boys was won easily by C. S. Easterbrook of Syracuse in 1:20; Fred Priest second, and Frank Pike third.
   C. W. C. championship went to Grove Stevens in 2:42 1-5, Wright second, and Dudley third.
   The two mile handicap had nine starters with Hoppler of Binghamton on the 230 yard mark. The others bunched in the first half, but Hoppler kept his lead till the last quarter and it looked as though he had a cinch, but from there Jenney and Fisher made an elegant spurt and went over the tape, Jenney first, Fisher second and Hoppler third. Time 5:08
   Tucker won the county championship on a loaf in 3:15 3-5, Dudley second and Wright third.
   The half mile open was won by Jenney in 1:17; Murray second and Benjamin third. Two mile C. W. C. handicap was won by Wright from 30 yards; Tucker, scratch second. Tucker did the first mile in 2:30 1/4, winning the [$50] Stearns water set. Geo. E. Hitchcock won the consolation in 2:49 2-5, Jaques second and Newman third.
   The C. W. C. will hold matinee races as often as practical and in that way endeavor to get out of the hole in which past rainy weather has put them.

To the Thousand Islands.
   The E. C. & N. railway will run an excursion to Alexandria Bay, Clayton and Thousand Island Park on Thursday, Aug. 3, 1894. Fare for the round trip from Elmira to McLean inclusive $5.00, from Cortland to Delphi, inclusive $4.00, and from Rippleton to Canastota, inclusive $3.50. Tickets good for five days. Parties desiring to remain ten days can do so by paying $2.00 additional to the ticket agent of the R. W. & O. road at Clayton, N. Y. Tickets will be good only on train leaving Elmira at 7:10 A M., Thursday, August 2, and returning on any regular train within limit of ticket. Here is a splendid opportunity for an elegant outing at very small cost, which readers of the DEMOCRAT are advised to avail themselves of.


   TOMPKINS.—The hotels of Slaterville are reported well filled with summer guests.
   The new dormitory of the Cascadilla School, Ithaca, will cost $25,000.
   Groton Lodge, I. O. of G. T. will hold an ice cream social Friday evening, July 20th.
   The summer law school at Cornell's University is honored by the presence of one lady.
   A telephone line is to be put up between Trumansburg and Frontenac Beach.
   A new athletic club house is being built at Percy Field. It will cost [$6,800.] It is tasty in architecture and a fine addition to the grounds
   At the request of a large majority of the holders of the consolidated bonds, Hon. Thomas C. Platt has been appointed receiver for the Southern Central Railroad.
   The contract tor street paving in Ithaca has been awarded to Messrs. Campbell & Wood, at the price of $8.20 per linear foot. The price last year was $10.50 per linear foot
   The Groton Bridge and Manufacturing Co. a few days ago received a contract from the commissioners of a county in Maryland for forty-five bridges. The most of them are small bridges.
   The Cornell University Christian Association maintains a representative in Japan to do Christian work among the educated young men of that country. The name of the Cornell missionary is R. S. Miller, and he has now been in Japan nearly four years. He resides at Tokio. Cornell is the only university in the United States that supports a foreign missionary.

Prendergast was executed last Friday for the murder of Mayor Harrison of Chicago last summer.
The railroad strike is believed to be about ended. Men are going back to work on the railroad and at Pullman's shops, and trains are running regularly over all of the western roads.
The Commission appointed by Governor Flower to enquire into the sanity of Mrs. Lizzie Halliday, the Sullivan county murderess, reported that she was insane and the governor commuted her sentence to imprisonment for life.
The President has appointed William A. Beach of Syracuse to be Internal Revenue Collector for this district. The appointment is a most excellent one in every respect and the DEMOCRAT offers its most hearty congratulations.
Wool is now selling at 17 cents per pound. At about the time the McKinley bill became a law, wool brought 30 cents per pound. The wool grower may well ask, "Does protection protect?" We know of no bigger fraud than Bill McKinley unless it is Bill McKinley's bill.

The After-Riot.
[From the New York Sun, July 13.]
   We suppose that the popular abuse of Mr. PULLMAN, none the less outrageous for being soft-headed and easy-mouthed, must exhaust itself like the blind and diseased rage of rioters. It comes like a sort of apology to riot for putting it down, then to join and agree with it in abusing the original target of its outrage.
   The common way of attacking PULLMAN, or other men in his situation, for refusing to arbitrate, is to call him arrogant for assuming that in a dispute between him and his employes he is "altogether right." Right or wrong cannot be forced into such discussions. If one side of an industry, employer or employed, capital or labor, is compelled or desires to stop, it can stop, and that is the end of it, or this is not the United States. The laborer must be assured of peaceful passage to his home free from violence or the hooting of the mob. The capitalist must also be able to go to his home free from violence or the hooting of the mob; and whoever tries to badger him with hard language into adopting other man's opinions as to how his business should be run, or into submitting it to a tribunal of arbitration for review, is guilty of abuse little less wholesome to the community generally than positive violence, and feeds fuel to the over smouldering furnace of lawlessness and destruction.
   Request PULLMAN to take your view of this or any other subject as much as you like; but you cannot now sneer at him for refusal without striking straight at the common right of citizens in this country to carry on a legal business safe and unmolested. PULLMAN is but one, and it is easy to jump on him; but he is to-day as seriously entitled to protection against abusive assault, by direct violence or by word of mouth, as either a discharged convict or the most saintly teacher in the pulpit.

M. F. Cleary.
A Good Candidate.
   The Firemen of this place will present the name of M. F. Cleary, Esq., of Cortland, to the State Convention of Firemen to be held in Oswego next month, for the office of President of the association for the ensuing year. Mr. Cleary is a respected citizen, a man of ability and character and has been an enthusiastic member of the department for many years. The six companies of Cortland all belong to the state association and on many occasions have attended the annual conventions in a body. They have never asked for official recognition and they feel now that they have an exceptionally good candidate, their claims for recognition should be favorably considered.
    In 1847, at the age of thirteen years he joined the old "Red Rover" company in Rochester. In 1862, he moved to Cortland, and in 1878 he organized the Emerald Hose company of which he was elected foreman. He served as chief of the Cortland Fire Department during the years 1883 and 1884, and has represented his company on the board of engineers since. In 1888 he was elected a life member of the state association and has attended every convention since. He makes an admirable presiding officer and the convention will make no mistake in choosing him to preside over its deliberations. He is warmly supported by the entire department.

   Annual school meetings, Tuesday evening, August 7th.
   Mr. Geo. H. Torrey has purchased C. F. Barker's trucking business.
   The next annual reunion of the l85th Regiment will be held in Syracuse.
   The shoe stores in this place will close at 6 P. M. except Mondays and Saturdays.
   Mr. J. W. Orr has purchased a lot on James-st. of M. L. Alexander and intends to build a house thereon soon.
   The Odd Fellows of the Cortland District will have an excursion to Long Branch on Onondaga lake, Saturday, July 28.
   The Ladies' and Pastor's Aid society of the Homer-ave. church will give an ice cream social this Friday evening in the church. Everyone most cordially invited.
   The Homer water works were sold last Saturday on mortgage foreclosure. Mr. J. H. Moulton of Bangor, Me., bid $20,000 for the property and it was struck off to him.
   Mr. W. C. Bouck, who has had charge of A. B. Frazier's branch market in the Squires block, has become interested with Mr. Frazier in the old Central Market on Court-st., and hereafter the business will be conducted under the firm name of Frazier & Bouck.
   Work on the sewers was suspended last Saturday owing to the fact that the "Y" pipes which connect with the houses have not yet arrived. This would not prevent the continuance of the work along the river bank, but the pump used to take the water out of the ditch was broken last Saturday, a new one had to be purchased and put in place. This was done Tuesday morning and the work was again resumed at this point.
   The annual parade of the Cortland fire department will take place September 6.
   The trustees have ordered that the awning in front of the Cloyes block be removed.
   D. F. Wallace & Co. have a new advertisement on this page that is well worth reading.
   Grace church Sunday-school held a picnic at Floral Trout Park Wednesday afternoon which was well attended.
   The board of trustees have given permission to five fire companies to attend the Firemen's convention in Ithaca August 9.
   Village [tax] collector W. E. Phelps has filed his bond in the penal sum of $75,000 with the board of trustees and the same has been approved and accepted.
   The game of base ball played on the fair grounds last Tuesday afternoon between the Moravia club and the C. A. A. club resulted in a victory for the latter by a score of 14 to 8.
   A lemonade tent is the very latest on Tompkins-st. A glass of ice-cold lemonade for only 3 cents. Masters Wickwire & Case are the proprietors and business is carried on in the yard of the former, corner Tompkins-st. and Reynolds-ave.
   The C. W. C. have arranged for pleasant weather Saturday July 28, and will hold matinee races in the afternoon. Besides the regular races Stevens will ride a mile, with pace-makers, against time and local runners will have a fifty and one hundred yard dash.
   The children of Secretary of War D. S. Lamont, having named their camp in the yard of O. A. Kinney after Major General Schofield, acquainted the latter with the fact. Monday a very nice silk-flag was received from Mr. Schofield and duly erected with appropriate ceremony and a copy of the proceedings sent to the donor. —McGrawville Sentinel.
   Twelve car loads of people left this village Wednesday morning on the E. C. & N. road for Sylvan Beach. The crowd that took in this excursion was simply immense and the Congregational Society, under whose auspices it was gotten up, will net a handsome sum. It has been charged that the notices published in the DEMOCRAT caused this remarkable stampede and the DEMOCRAT pleads guilty to the charge.
   Col. D. T. Ensign, formerly of this village, has recently become proprietor of the Pitney house at Stillwater, Saratoga county, N. Y. The hotel is one of the finest in that part of the state and it is located on the Hudson two and a half miles south of the historical battle grounds at Bemis' Heights. It is said to be a delightful summer resort and the house is large enough to accommodate sixty boarders. Parties visiting the place from this section will be sure of a royal reception at the hands of Mr. and Mrs. Ensign.
   During the storm of last Sunday afternoon lightning struck one of the large maple trees on the west side of Owego-st. on Mrs. Van Bergen's premises, knocked small particles of the bark off the trunk of the same in two or three places, struck a root at the bottom which it followed to the curb, tearing up the ground, when it jumped about eight feet into the highway and disappeared, leaving a round hole about two inches in diameter where it entered the hard path. It is supposed that it was attracted by the iron pipe of the water main about four feet underground. The question with the neighbors is, what became of the dirt that came from the hole? There is no sign of it in the vicinity.


   J. D. Freer and wife, of South Cortland, were at W. S. Freer's, Saturday.
   Miss Delia Hodges returned Saturday from a two weeks visit at Fabius.
   Mr. and Mrs. Warren Foster, of Virgil, were visiting friends here Thursday.
   Chas. Tarbell and daughter, of Peruville, were at Higginsville the first of the week.
   Several of our enterprising citizens are building new sidewalks. Let the good work continue.
   Mrs. Amanda Brown, who has been living in Homer for the past few months, is visiting relatives here.
   Mr. J. B. Nash, of Georgetown, was here Thursday looking after the effects of his son. Frank E. Nash.
   Mrs. Emma Bloomer and children, of Binghamton, are spending several days with her mother, Mrs. A. Spencer, and other friends.
   Mrs. D. Hobart is caring for the family of Daniel Barry. Mrs. Hunt, of Preble, and Mrs. Shevalier, of Virgil, have been spending several days there.
   Mrs. Nellie Cullen, of Syracuse, and sister, Miss Mary Brown, of Tully, visited at Reuben Reynolds, the past week. Mrs. Cullen was formerly a teacher in our school.
   Friday night Mrs. Chase and Miss Minnie McCumber were coming from Cortland and when on the hill near G. Burgess crossing, the alarm bell commenced to ring which frightened their horse, which became unmanageable and started to cross the track ahead of the cars but was not successful. The horse, wagon and women were thrown in a general heap. The ladies received some severe bruises but were able to ride to their home south of this place. The horse received a severe cut on one of the forward legs and has since been killed. It was owned by Mr. McCumber, father of the young lady. Officer Sevenoakes and another railroad man were here Saturday to try to settle the damage but did not succeed.

   The funeral services of Mrs. Caroline Burnham who died on Sunday morning, July 8th, were held at the M. E. church on Wednesday, July 11. Many loving friends and relatives were present to pay a last tribute of affection and respect. Rev. W. H. Robertson delivered an appropriate sermon, using as a text the one she had chosen, and which may be found in St John 17:24. The church was tastily decorated with plants and cut flowers and the floral tributes on the casket were beautiful. It seemed fitting that it should be so, as one of Mrs. Burnham's most prominent characteristics was her love for flowers.
   The deceased was born in the town of Fabius in 1816, her maiden name was Caroline Webster. She was married to Marvin Burnham in 1836, and most of their married life was spent in or near this place. Since Mr. Burnham's death, about three years ago, she has been in feeble health and lived with her son Eugene, of this village. Mrs. Burnham was a loving christian woman, always thoughtful and kind toward those in trouble, and having a pleasant word and hand shake for every one. She left many friends to mourn her loss, but we can only think that it is one more gone home.

   Mrs. Jerry Hartnett, who has been visiting at her home in Scipio, has returned.
   Haying is now in order and potatoe bugs are enjoying life. Never so many before.
   Everybody was out to see the [bicycle] lantern parade. It was all right only there were no lanterns—and might more appropriately be called the "dark parade."

   George Maycumber is thought to be improving.
   Mrs. Lois Clarke is failing. Her son, Randolph, is here in answer to a telegram.
   Mrs. Allen Barber and daughter of Marathon are stopping for a few days with Byron Barber's people.
   Is there only one physician in Cortland County who can tell scarlet fever from small pox? Bad state of things when it becomes necessary to send west for a physician to decide a case like that, and quiet the nerves of Homer people.

   Quite a number of friends and relatives from this place attended the funeral of Mrs. S. L. Angell at East Virgil on Sunday. The remains were brought to Marathon for interment.
   The masons working at the foundation for the Peck Library building, who were obliged to suspend operations on account of the non-arrival of stone, resumed work Wednesday morning.
   The contract for the erection of the new Climax Road Machine building was let on Wednesday of last week to G. W. Aldrich of Norwich, N. Y. A large force of workmen have begun on the foundation.
   Dr. and Mrs. F. D. Avers who returned from the Thousand Islands on Monday night were surprised by a large number of their friends on Tuesday evening. A pleasant time is reported by those who were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment