Saturday, July 1, 2017


Dr. J. Lyman Bulkley.
The Cortland Democrat, Friday, May 18, 1894.

Doctor Bulkley's Ordeal—Murderous Assault at Sandy Creek—Assailant's
Dead Body Found in a Swamp.
(From the Syracuse Evening Herald, May 11.)
   PULASKI, May 11.—A chain of tragic events in quick succession have roused the people of Sandy Creek to a pitch of excitement which they probably never before experienced.
   This morning, in a swamp near the village, was found the dead body of a man who, after striving last night most desperately to take a human life, ended his own miserable existence by a well-directed bullet.
   Hovering between life and death, the victim of a would-be assassin, Dr. J. Lyman Bulkley, ex-Sheriff of Oswego county, lies at his home at Sandy Creek. The crime which has placed his life in such imminent peril was one of the most dastardly ever recorded in this section.
   At about 8:30 o'clock last night a young man believed to be Frank K. Williams of Ellisburgh, and who was released from Ogdensburgh asylum yesterday, called upon Doctor Bulkley and requested a private conversation. He complained to the Doctor that he had been maltreated by several physicians, and said he wished Doctor Bulkley to undo their errors. The Doctor had just replied that he hardly knew how to do so, when his visitor drew a revolver and shot at the physician.
   The ball struck the Doctor's arm, but despite his pain he clinched with his murderous assailant. The latter then drew a knife and slashed Doctor Bulkley on the head, hands and hip, and finally stabbed him in the abdomen. The Doctor fell, but rose again and chased the desperate fellow some distance. The man, however, escaped, and doubtless ended his life a few moments later in the swamp where his body was found this morning.
   Three physicians are making every effort to save Doctor Bulkley's life. They pronounce his condition to be very serious, but entertain hopes for his recovery. The physicians in attendance are Drs. A. S. Lowe of Pulaski, Cook and Sackett.
   Few men are more popular than Doctor Bulkley. He has filled the offices of Sheriff and Assemblyman, is now Justice of the Peace, and is known throughout the wide territory as a staunch and active Republican, skilled physician, and progressive and loyal citizen. His assailant was about 33 years old, five feet, eight inches tall and weighed about 165 pounds, and wore a full beard.
   Williams was released from Ogdensburg hospital May 9th. He came to Adams, where his brother George is a jeweler, and was carried by George's son to Ellisburgh that day, where he visited his brother Wallace and his mother, and worked yesterday with his brother staking up berries. He intended to go to Belleville last night to see his daughter, but changed his mind and told Wallace he must come to Sandy Creek to see a man with whom he had business and would stay at the Watkins house and look for work there. Leaving Ellis village after 6 o'clock, his brother brought him within two miles of the village and left him, believing him entirely sane. He walked the remainder of the way, and went directly to Bulkley's residence. He purchased the revolver at Ellis village unknown to his brother.
   Williams also wrote two four-page letters during the afternoon while sitting out of doors. He told Wallace one of these was to his brother Alden Williams of Syracuse, and the other to a friend. These were found on his person to-day and taken by Coroner Nelson, One letter was addressed "To Any Editor," in which epistle in a rambling way he mixed up the devil, Catholics and Doctor Bulkley in his troubles, and said that he should find Doctor Bulkley, shoot him on sight, and then kill himself. In the other letter to his brother George he disposed of a satchel left in Watertown and his personal effects. Coroner Nelson has taken charge of the remains and will hold the inquest Wednesday.
   Williams' malady was the result of an explosion in a gasoline pit at the Kirby House, Watertown, five years ago, in which he was severely burned. This injury was upon the head. A. D. Williams of the Otis House, then proprietor of the Kirby House, is his uncle. Doctor Spencer of Watertown said then that the burn was so deep that it would result in insanity.

The Climax Road Machine Shops Burned Wednesday night.—Very Little Saved.
   Where yesterday stood one of Marathon's most thriving manufactories is this morning only a mass of smoldering ruins. At about one o'clock last night residents at the lower end of Academy street were awakened from their slumbers and discovered the Climax shops to be on fire. The alarm was instantly given and the firemen were promptly on hand with the steamer, but owing to the dryness of the buildings and the inflammable nature of the contents of the paint shops, etc., it was impossible for them to do more than to save the office, the stone-crusher and some finished stock.
   The stillness of the night was a fortunate circumstance as it would have been impossible to save some of the dwellings nearest, if there had been much wind.
   It is not known what caused the fire. Two young men, employes of the company, discovered a small blaze in some part of the building at about ten o'clock last night but that was extinguished and everything supposed to be safe.
   Much regret is expressed on every hand and it will assuredlv be a very great loss to our town, should the company decide not to rebuild at Marathon—which is considered probable—as the Climax works have afforded employment to a large number of men and boys, and the company are fine, upright gentlemen who would be much missed in our community.
   After the flames were nearly subdued something about the steamer broke, or in some way gave out and the firemen were obliged to fall back on the old hand engine, which has done such noble work for our village in years past, and which proves its self still capable of doing good service.
Marathon May 17, 1894.
W. [local correspondent’s initial.]

"Good News" on Erie Canal near Syracuse City Hall and Weighlock block in 1893.
Tragedy of Gospel Boat.
   SYRACUSE, N. Y., May 10.—Fire broke out shortly after midnight in the lumber yards of C. H. Baker & Co., on the bank of the Oswego canal. The result of the fire is the destruction of about $60,000 worth of property and the loss of two lives.
   The gospel boat, "Good News," of the Rescue Mission of this city, known along the Erie canal from Buffalo to New York, was moored beside the burning lumber piles. The flames completely surrounded the boat and cut off all chance of escape for its occupants.
   There were three people on the boat, Robert Wilson, its captain, and his young wife, and Alonzo Delaney, a brother of Mrs. Wilson. All three jumped into the water in their night clothes. Wilson succeeded in swimming ashore, but his wife and brother-in-law were drowned.
   Joe Dunfee, the well known pugilist of this city, jumped into the water and assisted Wilson to land. There was a strong wind blowing and it was feared at one time that the blaze would spread to adjoining buildings. It was gotten under control, however, inside of an hour.
   The boat was burned to the water's edge, entailing a loss of about $3,000. The loss on the lumber is covered by insurance.

   Miss Augusta Hyde, only daughter of Dr. Frederick and Elvira Hyde was born in Cortland, N. Y., June 24, 1839 and died May 12th, 1894 in New York. She received her preliminary education in the Cortlandville academy, commencing her Latin at nine and her brother at seven years of age. She graduated at Mt. Holyoke Seminary in 1862, completing the entire course in two years. She taught a short time in the Cortland academy and had a special class in geology for a brief time, and afterward supplied a vacancy in the academy of this village.
   Her elementary training in drawing had been good and having taken lessons in oil painting she soon began to make sketches of the beautiful scenery of our valley, and for several years has given all her time to the enthusiastic study of art. Her many pupils can testify to her earnest efforts for their advancement and her friendly interest in their welfare. She not only did conscientious work in water colors and oils and china painting, but in the winter of 1892 she entered a studio in New York to take lessons in tapestry painting which she pursued with enthusiasm. Afterward, in addition to work at home, she opened a studio in Syracuse and for some months maintained also a large class in Whitney's Point.
   To maintain this necessitated early and late hours and her work was brought to a sudden close in August of last year, when preparing with her usual ardor, the exhibition of china for the New York State fair at Syracuse of which she had charge. Since that time she has been confined to her room and in bed, with a painful disease for which an operation was performed in New York May 12th, her death occurring the evening following. She bore these long months of suffering with fortitude and gratitude to her many friends.
   In 1857 she united with the Presbyterian church and almost her last words were "I trust in God."

Annual False Alarm.
   The annual test alarm and drill of the Cortland Fire department will soon occur. A false alarm of fire will be given within the next thirty days. The different companies will be required to fulfil the following program:
   Hose companies—Lay 250 feet of hose, attach to hydrant and get water. First company arriving at hydrant is required to put on two hydrant gates.
   Hook and Ladder Co.—Hoist a twenty-four foot ladder within fifty feet of fire alarm box and send a man over the ladder.
   Protective Police—To drive in iron stakes and string fifty feet of rope within a distance of one hundred feet of fire alarm box.
   A prize of five dollars will be given by Chief Engineer N. J. Peck to the company performing the required amount of work in the quickest time.
   A fine of five dollars will be imposed upon any company not performing the required amount of work.
   The Engine Co. are excused from responding to the alarm.

Work of Vandals.
   ATHENS, Pa., May 13—Unknown persons to-day drilled holes in the trunk lines of the United States Pipe Line about eight miles from this place and set the escaping oil on fire. The fire blazed fiercely all day. Gangs of men have been laboring to put it out, but thus far without success. The loss will be quite large. The telegraph wires were also cut and communications with the pump station at Bradford, Pa. was cut off.

We Beg Leave to Differ.
   The Cortland Daily Standard was delivered of the following last Monday and is in a fair way to recover:
   "In the case of Democratic newspapers, however, their attitude depends almost entirely on how honest, how consistent, how cussed or how purchasable they happen to be. The New York Sun is probably the most honest, candid, straight-forward and honorable, as well as the ablest Democratic newspaper in the United States. Concerning the Cortland DEMOCRAT, public opinion as to all the particulars just specified might vary widely."
   The Cortland DEMOCRAT begs leave to suggest, that concerning the Cortland Daily Standard, public opinion as to all the particulars just specified would not vary in the least particular. It furnishes the proof itself though perhaps not intending to do so. When it has the impudence to call the New York Sun a Democratic paper, it either exhibits its ignorance on a matter which is known to everybody else or, it simply tells what it knows to be untrue.
   One might as well charge that the New York Tribune is a Democratic paper. The Sun has been a most vindictive opponent of the President for years, and has never let an opportunity slip to abuse him. It is a protectionist organ and has given more aid and comfort to the Republicans for the past ten years than any paper published in the United States. No one will object to fair criticism, but downright abuse is not Democratic. The Sun is criticizing the party and its measures in season and out of season and this is the reason why it finds favor with our neighbor.
Owing to the miners' strike in the bituminous coal fields, there is a great scarcity of soft coal for manufacturers use. The N. Y. Central railroad is practically out of coal to feed their engines and many freight trains have been laid up for want of fuel. Only perishable freight is taken at their stations. It is stated that the company has several steamers loaded with coal from Wales on the ocean and they are about due. Importing coal from foreign countries will not tend to raise the wages of miners in this country. We must manage in some way to keep the "Home market" for our own use. Is the tariff on coal keeping up the wages of coal miners in this country? Why do miners strike if the tariff is a benefit to them? The McKinley tariff places a duty of seventy-five cents per ton on bituminous coal and yet with that advantage the miners cannot compete with the miners in Wales. What is the matter with the McKinley bill? Is it doing what it ought to do for our "Home market?"
Notwithstanding the extravagancies of Tammany that we hear so much about, the tax-rate in New York city only reaches $1.30 upon each thousand dollars of valuation. In the highly virtuous and eminently respectable city of Auburn, the tax-rate is $27.38 upon the thousand. But Auburn has more wards in proportion to population and more officeholders to the square rod than any town in the United States. It contains a large number of pensioners who contrive, by one scheme and another, to live upon the tax-payers. The jobs these fellows concoct—the plans they devise to hoodwink unsophisticated Alder men and rural Supervisors—would astonish the greatest conspirator that Tammany boasts of.—Weedsport Cayuga Chief.
Something of a sensation has been caused in the U. S. Senate, caused by the charge that attempts have been made to bribe certain senators to vote against the tariff bill. Senator Hunton of Virginia was offered $25,000 for his vote. A large sum was also offered to Senator Kyle of South Dakota. When the republican beneficiaries of the McKinley bill fail to win with logic, they usually come forward with money, which is often a strong argument for or against any cause. The lobbyist is trying to do business in the capital.
Coxey's army has been forced to move from the immediate vicinity of Washington over the Maryland line. Two weeks since it numbered over 600, but now there are only about 200 and they are becoming discouraged because rations are not served promptly.

He Was so Ugly That He Had to be Poisoned—Not a Good Job.
   NEW YORK, May 11.—Tip, the big elephant in the Central park menagerie, died this afternoon at 4:19:30 o'clock, after many hours of agony.
   Such a botched piece of work has never been seen accomplished by any set of men who have professed to have the slightest skill in killing wild animals or to save any animal from unnecessary cruelty and suffering.
   From 6 A. M. until 4 P. M., the great king of the forest went shuddering from one convulsion into another under the influence of the cyanide of potassium which had been given to him. The first dose of the poison was not sufficient to put a quick and painless end to his life. After many consultations between Superintendent Smith of the menagerie, Superintendent Hankinson of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and Secretary Burns, it was resolved at 3 o'clock to administer another dose of poison. The second dose finally proved effective.
   At 2 o'clock this afternoon, Dr. Allen, one of the experts, said that he believed that what little poison Tip got into his system in the morning was taking effect. "His trunk is partially paralyzed now," he said. "His hind quarters are also partially paralyzed. He is breathing heavily, which goes to show that the poison has acted on his heart." Some of the experts went so far as to say that Tip was dying by inches at that hour.
   Capt. Collins, in charge of a squad of park policemen, kept the crowd back. No one was allowed within 200 yards of the elephant house.
   Matters at 3:15 o'clock seemed to be reaching a climax. At that hour fifteen capsules of cyanide of potassium were given to Tip in a dish of bran. The great beast went into convulsions and thrashed about at a tremendous rate. In his wild struggles he broke the chains which confined him and snapped his martingale. The attendants seemed to be panic stricken. Tip was loose in his pen and their lives were in great danger. The latter dose of poison combined with the preceding had not killed the elephant. It had only tortured him. It was announced later that the second dose of poison was two ounces. It was five minutes afterward that the violent convulsion seized him and he burst his chain and martingale. He died at 4:19:30 o'clock.
   John Rowley, who is the chief taxidermist of the museum, will have charge of the work of mounting Tip's skin. The stuffed remains will be mounted beside those of Jumbo, who was killed in 1889 at St. Thomas, Ont. by a railroad train.

   Mahan's Music Festival opens May 28, 1894.
   Early vegetables were caught by the frost last Monday night.
   The Cortland wheel club made a run to McLean and back last night.
   The Homer excise board has granted hotel, saloon and store licenses.
   The Y. M. C. A. wheel club took a run to Little York and back Wednesday evening.
   Emma Keefe, a wayward girl from Cuyler, was taken to the House of Refuge Wednesday.
   It costs $5, for each offence, to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk in Homer. Cortland city fathers need bracing up.
   The Clionian society of the Normal have been photographed by Hyatt & Tooke. Fifty ladies and fifty mortar-boards in one troupe.
   Mahan has an advertisement concerning his Music Festival which opens May 28 and continues five days. The artists engaged are of the best.
   Mr. H. C. Blodgett, the owner of Floral Trout Park will have charge of that resort this season. He is making many improvements about the grounds.
   Any physician having on his hands a case of contagious disease, subjects himself to a fine of $25, if he does not report the fact to the board of health at once.
   An evening with Hawthorne at the rooms of the W. C. T. U. Friday, May 18, at which strawberry short cake will be served from 5:30 to 9 P. M. All are invited.
   John Harvey [coachman] has just purchased a handsome new coupe and his customers can now take a comfortable trip at any time of day by calling him up at the Cortland House.
   Hon. L. J. Fitzgerald sold sixteen fine young horses at auction on one of his farms between Homer and Cortland last Saturday. The prices were considered low, when the quality of the stock is considered.
   Geo. Fitts has sold a thousand bushels of potatoes to parties in Cortland for eighty cents per bushel. They are to be shipped from McLean this week. They are Monroe Seedlings and late Burbanks and are a fine lot of tubers. Mr. Fitts is well known as a very successful potatoe grower.—Groton Journal.
   Wednesday afternoon Mrs. Jacob Stevens residing at 215 Port Watson-st., undertook to do the family ironing and while at work accidentally dropped a flat iron. In her attempt to pick it up she slipped and fell to the floor sustaining a compound fracture of the left wrist. Dr. Bennett was called and reduced the fracture.
    Last Friday night, while Emmet Riley was training on the fair grounds for the coming wheel races, his foot slipped off the pedal of the wheel and in endeavoring to catch it as it came around, he put his foot through the spokes of the forward wheel and was thrown to the ground. His collar bone was broken and the wheel was practically ruined.
   J. H. McWhorter charged with abandoning his wife in this place two years ago this month, was arrested in Greene by Sheriff Miller last Tuesday. When brought before Justice Smith the next day he plead not guilty and bail was fixed at $200, pending an adjournment of the case until 10 A. M. to-morrow. It was charged that he left town in 1892 with another woman leaving his wife without means of support.
   Last Saturday Hon. L. J. Fitzgerald sold a yearling filly at private sale to Mr. Geo. H. Bigelow of Binghamton for $487.50. Mr. Phil D. McGregor superintendent of Riverside farm sold a two-year-old filly to the same party for $550. They are both very promising filleys and even now show some very fast quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment