Friday, March 2, 2018

THE TRAIN ROBBER TALKS



Oliver Curtis Perry.


Cortland Evening Standard, Wednesday, April 17, 1895.

THE TRAIN ROBBER TALKS.
Hopes He Will Have Better Treatment Hereafter at Matteawan.
   JERSEY CITY, N. J., April 17.—Oliver Curtis Perry was not taken from the Hudson county jail this morning. He will remain there until requisition papers are procured, probably to-morrow for his return to Matteawan. He says he hopes what he has said about the cruel treatment he received will make it better for him hereafter. That is his only hope. He rested well last night, ate a good breakfast and smoked a cigar. He says he was in close confinement from June 3 [1894] and never had an hour's exercise or recreation. On June 28, and Aug. 23 or 24 the attendants knocked him down by blows in the stomach and gave him an injection which made his eyes dilate, made him unconscious and affected his mind.

HARD EARNED LIBERTY.
Perry Tells of His Five Days of Freedom.
COMPLAINS OF HIS TREATMENT.
The Notorious Train Robber Talks Interestingly and Intelligently of His Desperate Break For Liberty. Returned to Matteawan This Morning.
   WEEHAWKEN, N. J., April 17.—After five days and a few hours of dearly bought liberty, Oliver Curtis Perry, the daring train robber, who escaped with four others from the Matteawan insane asylum last Wednesday, was captured after an incessant search, and is now a prisoner in the Hudson county jail awaiting a requisition for his removal to the New York institution.
   The place where he was caught is on the banks of the Hudson river, about one-quarter mile below the elevated structure leading to El Dorado and on the line of the West Shore railroad.
   Detective Clifford, who is employed on the West Shore road, and Police Officer Bernard McAleese of Weehawken, were at the West Shore railroad depot and their attention was attracted by two small bonfires down the track at the place indicated above.
   McAleese was in uniform. Clifford and he walked briskly toward the spot and when they were within 100 yards of the fires they saw four tramps sitting at one fire, which was level with the track, and three others standing around the other blaze, which was about 20 yards further up the bluff.
   The man who was standing highest up, and who afterwards proved to be the much sought for fugitive, attracted the attention of the officers. He was dressed in a very weatherbeaten dark suit and wore a dirty fawn colored soft hat. His coat was tucked in under his trousers, and his suspenders were on the outside.
   The officers hailed the men, but received no reply. Then Clifford got nearer and beckoned to Perry with his finger, indicating that he should come to them.
   Perry shouted: "If you want me you'll have to catch me."
   He started to run up across the bluff, which is covered with boulders and shrubberry. McAleese ran after him. After running about 300 feet Perry fell and rolled down about 20 feet. McAleese caught him and brought him down to the railroad track.
   Clifford then seized him and said, "Now, Perry, you're the man we want."
   The officers were not quite sure that he was the right man. As they walked toward the police station, Perry said his name was John Martin and that he was waiting to jump on a train for Newburg.
   Clifford was deaf to all the prisoner's entreaties to let him go. "I did nothing wrong," said he. "I am a tramp, but I'll cut wood for you or do any honest work you ask of me, if you don't put me behind the bars again."
   This was the first inkling he gave as to his being in prison before. When the two arrived at the police station, Perry was turned over to Roundsman Besse and locked up under the name of John Martin. Nothing was found on him except a piece of newspaper.
   Chief of Police Kelly was sent for and immediately dispatched word to Matteawan as well as to Superintendent Byrnes in New York that a man who resembled Perry had been arrested.
   Perry was given plenty to eat and drink, but he sulked in silence in his cell until Police Officer Gallagher asked him if he wished to say anything. Perry said: "Who's that stout, good-natured man who has been so kind to me?"
   "He is the chief of police," replied Gallagher.
   "Well, then, tell him to come here, I want to say something to him," was Perry's request.
   The chief came in at once and Perry said: "You're a good fellow and you can have all the credit. You have treated me kindly and I'll own up. The jig is up now. I'm Perry."
   He was then brought before Justice Ryer, who committed him to prison awaiting requisition. In the meantime the police station and the streets adjoining were crowded with thousands of curious people who came long distances to see the prisoner, but the only glimpse of him the most of them got was when he was hustled into a carriage in custody of the chief and driven to the jail.
   A few minutes after he was sent away Keeper James Coyle of the Matteawan asylum arrived on a train from Newburg, where he had been hunting for Perry, and Coyle hastened to the prison in order to identify him. Coyle is the keeper who captured McGuire and O'Donnell last week.
   A short time after he had confessed to Chief Kelly the reporters were admitted to see Perry. The latter was brought out of his cell and sat on the sill of a heavy barred window while he told his story.
   He spoke very intelligently and showed no signs of insanity. His deepset eyes were the only features which showed that he was a desperate fellow.
   "We were confined," he began, "in the isolation building up at the asylum and there are two locks, an upper and a lower one, on the door of each cell. There is also a peephole covered with a wire screen on the outside, through which the keepers look in at us. On Wednesday night one of the men cut the wire on the peephole and then opened the locks. Between 8 and 9 o'clock McGuire let us all out, having unlocked the cells.
   "When the guard came along and was just in front of my door, I jumped out and grabbed him by the throat and choked him. He shouted twice, but I told him to keep quiet. He didn't seem to know whether I was fooling or not, as I had told him frequently on previous occasions that I would choke him. We made our way through the chapel and I climbed down a waterspout.
   "It was then 10 o'clock and one of the outside guards called to me to halt, but of course I did not. Then he sicked a dog on me, but I knew too much for him, as I sicked the dog on another fellow who was running ahead of me. That night I tramped all through the Peekskill mountains alone, and I was guided by the East star. The moon had risen early that night, and as she travels so fast I couldn't guide myself by her, but I could by the star because it didn't move.
   "I reached New York on Saturday night last. It was about midnight. I spoke to a number of policemen, and although this was risky work, you know a fellow has got to make a bluff some times. My feet troubled me very much, as they were all cut and bruised. I asked one policeman where Jerry McCauley's was on Water street. The officer directed me, but it was a long way off and I walked there.
   "When a follow is being looked for by the police he must never run away if he meets one, for then the cops will run after you, but if you go up and talk to them you put them off the scent, and in most cases you will be safe.
   "Oh, what a roast," said he, smiling, "for the New York police I was there nearly two days, and they didn't know it.
   "When I got to the Mission House I was heartbroken, tired out and felt sure I would get some comfort there, as McCauley was an ex-convict himself.
   "The man who opened the door slapped it in my face, but I went back again three or four times saying that my feet were sore and that I wanted them treated. He gave me a card to the Chamber street hospital, or house of relief, which is now on the corner of Jay and Hudson streets. He gave me, also, a nickel for car fare, and I got on a horse car and rode over to Hudson.
   "When I went in I told the doctor that my feet were sore and he treated me  very gruffly. He slapped a lot of vaseline on my feet over the dirt. I asked him to get me a pail to wash my feet, but he would not. He bandaged them up and I told him that I couldn't get my shoes on. I asked him to give me an old pair, but he walked away and I sat there. He came back in about 15 minutes and asked me what I was waiting for. I told him I could not get my shoes on.
   " 'That's none of my business,' said the doctor.
   "I then begged of him to lend me his scissors and when he gave them to me I slashed my boots the way you see them and pulled them on and left the hospital after having received a card in exchange for the one I got at the  Mission house. The doctor told me to come back Thursday. I threw away the card, as I did not intend to go back.
   "Now, look at me, gentlemen," said he, appealingly, "look at the condition I am in. That's the only thing I am ashamed of. I could have got tools, money, clothing and a gun, but I preferred the disguise of a tramp and the hardships connected with it. I could have gone to my friends, but you see there was no money found on me when arrested.
   "I want sympathy, gentlemen, and I want attention, and if I don't get it now that I am arrested again, I won't get out of prison until I am a grey-haired old man. There are two isolated wards in the asylum, one of which is shown to visitors, and the other, in which we were confined, is never shown to any person visiting the building. I was there 16 months. The men who are confined there are not all crazy, but they are kept there until they are mad and then removed to another part of the building.
   "If a man is disagreeable they will take him out of his cell, two keepers will hold him down and a third jump on his stomach. They are experts at this game and generally land below the ribs, but sometimes they make a mistake and break a rib or two, but that cuts no ice.
   "But they never did it to me. I was never struck, for if they did strike me I would have done them harm on the first opportunity. If they use me badly again I will take any means to attract attention to myself. I never would have made this attempt if I had got decent treatment, that was all I wanted. I could never see a visitor and I was anxious to call attention to this hellhole. I did not have much faith in Quigley, as he was a little bit off, but he was a big strong fellow and held the keeper down well."
   Coming back to his story of New York, he said he left the city over the ferry next to Cortlandt street. "That's the Jersey Central," said he. "This was on Monday morning. I walked to the freight yard as I did not want to attract attention. A lady in Jersey City gave me this tie and two pair of socks. I told her I was poor and a laborer. I hated to take them from her, but had to. I walked along the road for hours last night, and near where I was arrested I changed my clothes for the ones I am now wearing, but kept this prison shirt on, as I thought the people would only think it was a workhouse one. I left the old clothes there, and if anyone looks for them they will be found. When I came to the trestle near the coal cars I saw two fires burning and went up there. That was a fatal move on my part, for if I had not gone near the fires they never would have caught me."
   Later in the afternoon an old black cutaway coat and a torn pair of pantaloons, a dirty shirt and a handkerchief were found lying close to the spot where Perry was arrested. Perry would not tell where he got the clothes that he was wearing when caught.

PEACE TREATY SIGNED.
Warring Orientals Agree to Bury the Hatchet.
PRESS DISPATCHES CONFIRMED.
Secretary Gresham Receives Official News From Minister Dun at Tokio—Rumors of an Alliance Not Generally Credited by the Diplomats.
   WASHINGTON, April 17.—Official confirmation of the press report of the signing of a treaty of peace between the plenipotentiaries of Japan and China has been received by Secretary Gresham.
   It came from Minister Dun at Tokio, was very brief and merely stated that a treaty of peace had been finally concluded.
   The delay on the part of Minister Dun in reporting the fact is ascribed to his presence at Tokio, some distance from Shimonoseki, from which town, it is understood, all foreign diplomats were excluded.
   It is doubted whether the indemnity has been brought down as low as $100,000,000 in gold. As to the territory which Japan is to possess, it is understood here that, aside from Formosa, which is absolutely ceded, the remainder will be subject only to the temporary occupation, probably until all of the indemnity has been paid.
   This would leave Japan in temporary possession of the entire Laotung peninsula, from Port Arthur at the southern extremity clear up to Moukden, the capital of Manchuria, on the north, and from the Liao river, on which New Chwang is situated, on the west, to the Corean boundary on the east.
   This area amounts to about 37,000 square miles and is populated by about 2,000,000 people.
   The report of a condition that there shall be an alliance, offensive and defensive, between Japan and China is not credited in Japanese circles, where it is not believed to have been even suggested.
   It is said that the feeling between the two peoples is so hostile and the difference of government and habits so pronounced that even if such a stipulation were included it would not be expected to have any great binding force should China hereafter be able to find a powerful ally among European powers.
   On the other hand some of the diplomatic body here are inclined to believe that the alliance has really been made with an earnest purpose to execute it. They see in it the realization of the prophecy of an eminent scholar recently made that these two nations would eventually combine against Occidental methods and commerce and their watchword would be "The Orient for the Orientals."
   Old Li Hung Chang is said to have entertained a strong conviction (which he has concealed for prudential motives) as to the wisdom of such a combination, believing that by a close alliance with Japan, China would secure an army strong in military prowess, while Japan would secure in return practical control of the commerce of the greatest trading people of the East.
   Of course, such a consummation at this time would mean the destruction of European commercial interests in the Orient, and it may be that strong opposition will soon develop on the part of some of the powers to this feature of the agreement.
   It is noted, by the way, that this agreement is not final in all respects, but is simply a preliminary agreement indicating, on broad lines, the ultimate terms of the definite treaty of peace, which may not be perfected for months to come.

PAGE TWO—EDITORIALS.
Daring Scientific Suggestions.
   Two scientific men, one in America and the other in England, suggest marvelous possibilities for the future in the way of mastering the forces of nature. Both men are electricians.
   The American, Professor F. B. Crocker of New York, believes it feasible to regulate climate, making it hot or cold as is desired. Suppose, says Professor Crooker, a pipe line of steel tubing 4 or 5 feet in diameter and 3,000 miles long, extending from the arctic circle to near the equator. Cold air could be forced through this tube in quantity enough to cool the whole Atlantic seaboard during a heated spell of weather. The tube would be tapped here and there along its course to let cities and towns along the route have the benefit of its cooling airs. In winter it could be utilized to bring heat from the torrid zone. Professor Crocker does not think this a bit more difficult than it was to construct the ocean cable. Some out of the way waterfall could furnish the electric power to do the pumping, Professor Crocker thinks.
   The Englishman, Professor Sydney F. Walker, is of the opinion that the time will really come when the rainfall can be perfectly regulated by electricity. Man has only to utilize the giant power already at his hand in order to do anything he pleases. Nature has furnished the power in the shape of wind and water. Man has only to turn it into electricity and convey it whither he will, underground or above the clouds.

◘ The Medico-Legal Society of the United States will meet in congress in New York city the last of August. Doubtless the meeting will bring before the public important and valuable papers. The borderland where law and medicine touch has always been one of intense interest to members of both professions. Where does sanity end and insanity begin? is one of the nuts lawyers and doctors are trying to crack. Here the profoundest psychological problems known to man come to the surface and demand solution. In fact, one of the most interesting divisions of the Medico-Legal society is its department of psychology. Both men and women are eligible to membership in this organization.
◘ It is said that eating plentifully of honey will enable one to do good hard brain work. But it would be awfully expensive for some people, with honey at present prices.
◘ The International League of Press Clubs will have great festivities at its annual meeting, which occurs in Philadelphia in June. If the programme arranged for the delegates by the Pen and Pencil club of that city is carried out literally, they will go away with the impression that Philadelphia is anything but a staid city. The International League of Press Clubs is becoming a very great organization. Its president this year is Clark Howell of the Atlanta Constitution. One object of the league is to unite isolated press clubs in all parts of the country and permeate them with the spirit of fraternity. Any press club with a membership of as many as 25 and having a stated headquarters in some town or city may join the league and send delegates to the annual convention. The league is now taking measures to establish a home for journalists similar to the home for printers to which the late G. W. Childs gave so generously some years ago. Every newspaper man who can ought to belong to some club apart from his state association, and every club ought to be a member of the International league. A future annual convention is expected to take the league to Europe.

DROWNED IN FLORIDA.
Particulars of the Untimely Death of Young Munson.
   The STANDARD last week mentioned the drowning of Earl Munson of Cortland in Indian River, Fla., which occurred on Sunday, April 7. At that time it was impossible to give any particulars of the sad accident and all that was known of it was contained in a telegram to the young man's father which merely stated the fact.
   It appears, however, that the young man was seventeen years old. He went to Florida last fall and was employed in the office of the Florida Star, published at Titusville, where he was learning the printing business. He was very fond of boats and was thought to be quite skillful in handling them. On Sunday afternoon he went out in a sail boat on Indian river with Miss Ella Skill of Petersburg, Va., who was visiting her sister, Mrs. G. H. Fulke, the wife of the foreman of the Indian River Advocate, also published at Titusville. They were using the boat of the young man's uncle, Mr. E Schultz. The boat was found without occupants, but with sails set and with Munson's coat and vest on board. The river was dragged and on Wednesday the bodies were found.
   The cause of their being in the water is shrouded in mystery, as the boat is a large and safe one, but too big for one inexperienced man to handle. There was a strong wind blowing on Sunday, and it is surmised that while Munson was up forward attending to the sail, the boom may have knocked the young lady overboard. Munson then, probably, jumped overboard, and in his endeavors to save Miss Skill from a watery grave, both met with the untimely fate as depicted above.
   The funeral occurred on Thursday and the two bodies were buried in Titusville.

MAY MUSICALE AT DERUYTER.
To be Given Under the Direction of G. C. Murphy of Cortland.
   The DeRuyter Gleaner publishes the following concerning the May musicale in that place, which is under the direction of Mr. G. C. Murphy of Cortland:
   We learn through Mr. G. C. Murphy of the coming May musicale. Mr. Murphy is negotiating with several musical people and has already engaged Mr. Frank Lanigan as tenor and Mrs. F. A. Mangang for soprano. Mrs. Mangang is singing at present in the Baptist church of Cortland. Mr. F. A. Mangang, leader of the Cortland Opera House orchestra, will also be present and render some pleasing violin solos.
   Miss Nellie Mulligan, a violin soloist,will be one of the main features of the musicale as her tone and expression are always the delight of music-loving people.
   It is thought that Mr. A. B. Kingsley will be engaged as accompanist and will also render several piano solos.
   The outlook promises a grand musical treat to the people of DeRuyter, and it is hoped that Mr. Murphy will be well repaid for his efforts in securing us a concert of such a high order.
   The date and admission price are not yet fully decided upon.



BREVITIES.
                                    Oh, ye bonnets of ye Easter,
     Oh how sweet your beauties show;
                                     But when we come to pay for them,
                                       Oh me, oh my, oh owe.
   —The Y. M. C. A. penmanship class will meet to-night at 8 o'clock.
   —The Fortnightly club met this afternoon with Mrs. James Walsh at 29 Orchard-st.
   —Daniels' orchestra went to Greene to-day to play for a dance, which occurs this evening.
   —A converts' meeting will be held at the Homer-ave. church this evening at 7:30 o'clock. At 8 o'clock the pastor will deliver the next lecture in the series upon the Pilgrim's Progress.
   —Mid-term examinations at the Normal finished yesterday. The school is taking a vacation to-day in place of Washington's birthday as it was in session on that day. The last half-term begins to-morrow.
   —A lecture to ladies will be delivered in the W. C. T. U. rooms on Thursday at 3 o'clock by Mrs. M. Adelaide Nixon of Binghamton. Central thought, "Let There Be Light." A cordial invitation is extended to all ladies.
   —About a hundred young people spent last evening delightfully at the concert and dance given in Taylor hall by the Cortland City band. An exceptionally fine concert was rendered early in the evening. This was followed by dancing which was continued till 1:30 o'clock this morning, when the enjoyable affair broke up,
   —The Fine Wire Drawers Social club of this village will give a social dance at Taylor hall on Wednesday evening, May 1. Daniels' full orchestra will furnish the music. Quite a large number of tickets have already been sold, and the success of the affair is assured. The boys will spare no effort to make it one of the most enjoyable social events of the year.
   —At the meeting of the Cortland County Druggists' association at the Cortland House yesterday no business for publication was transacted except that Druggists C. F. Brown, A. Sager, G. W. Bradford, F. E. Brogden and F. I. Graham of Cortland and Druggist W. H. Foster of Homer were elected delegates to the state convention, which is held about the middle of June at Saratoga.

NEW TOUR BOOK.
Issued by the New York State Division of the L. A. W.
   After nearly a year of consecutive and energetic work the road book committee of the New York state division of the League of American Wheelmen, of which Dr. E. M. Santee of Cortland is the chairman, has issued its tour book. This book is the most complete work of its kind ever published and cannot fail to be a great convenience to every wheelman who takes trips of long or short distances through the country.
   About 160 separate tours are fully described, all the towns on each route being named, with distances between them and attention being called to the best hotels and the league hotels—which are usually the same—in each place, points of interest, historical and otherwise being noted. It contains 31 tours for New York City and Brooklyn wheelmen, among the number being trips to Chicago, Montreal, Washington, Gettysburg, Luray Cave and Natural Bridge, Va., Boston, the Berkshire hills, the White mountains and the seaside resorts. There are 35 tours for Albany wheelmen, 21 tours for Buffalo wheelmen, 9 tours for Rochester wheelmen besides numerous other tours from various places.
   Cortland is not neglected, having tours to Ithaca, Elmira, Owego, Auburn, Binghamton, Syracuse, the Thousand Islands, and Cazenovia, connecting at all these points with tours to other places.
   One of the finest trips in the book is that through the Adirondacks, all of the principal points of interest in this section being touched in the trip. In the tour from New York to Chicago that portion from Erie, Pa. to Chicago was written up by Mr. Vernon P. Squires of Cortland, after riding it upon his wheel. The details of each tour, including descriptions of roads, hills, turns to be made, etc , are pointed out so clearly that scarcely a question need be asked of any one if the rider is provided with this book.
   There are two maps in the book that are particularly valuable—a map of the Hudson river north from New York to Albany, and a map from Albany to Buffalo. Every place of any size is noted while parallel lines extend from these places to the side of the map and between the lines are detailed the distances and the full description of the roads to be followed. These maps have been copyrighted by Dr. Santee.
   The book is of convenient size for carrying in the pocket. The type is clear and a vast amount of valuable and interesting matter is compiled in it. It was published at The STANDARD job rooms and was bound by D. F. Wallace & Co.
   Dr. Santee has been untiring in his devotion to this book. He prepared all the copy for the compositors, read all the proofs and was a daily visitor in The STANDARD job rooms, being all the time prepared to answer questions and settle points which might arise in the progress of the work. The book is a monument to his enterprise and zeal and is one of which he may well feel proud. His practice has grown so rapidly that it has been with great difficulty that he could spare time for the completion of this book, but having undertaken it he felt that it must go through, and having now dropped all matters outside of his practice he has taken much pride in the tour book that it might stand as the climax of his connection with athletics.
   The book will be furnished free to all New York state members of the L. A. W.
   Members of the L. A. W. living in other states will be charged $1 per copy for the book, and non-members of the L. A. W. will pay $2 per copy for it.
   The first edition of the sectional maps of the state which were issued a year ago is exhausted and a new edition is being prepared.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment