Friday, January 11, 2013

Who Am I? (Number 16)

     I was born in a little village in New York State in 1801. I attended schools in New York State and was graduated from Union College with a law degree. I passed the bar exam and became a lawyer.
     I partnered with a judge in an established law firm. A few years later I married the judge's daughter and my wife and I moved into the judge's house at his invitation.
     My controversial friend Thurlow Weed introduced me to politics. I was elected to the state senate and later served two terms as governor.
     My parents owned slaves until 1827, but I always had strong resentment and opposition to slavery. I recognized the senseless inequality of it as a boy. My wife and I were abolitionists. We helped rescue and transport fugitive slaves.
     In the course of my law practice, I defended two convicts who were murderers. I used a novel "insanity" plea. However, both men were convicted and one was executed.
     I was a Republican with an appetite for politics. Eventually I ran for the Republican nomination for president but lost.
     Although I came up short in my bid to become president, I was given a cabinet appointment by the new president. Thurlow Weed was involved in that appointment process. While serving as a cabinet officer, a politically motivated man tried to kill me. I survived the attempted murder and went on to serve three presidents as a cabinet officer.
     Two years after a severe government crisis ended, I became the subject of ridicule and derision for my cold and calculated diplomacy in connection with the president's acquisition of a "snow and ice garden."
     I travelled around the world after I left office. I returned to my house in New York State, and a year later I passed away.
     My wife and two children survived me.
     Who am I?
     My name is William Henry Seward, former Secretary of State.

Editor's note: Identity, photo and links added 36 hours after initial post.

References:
1) Wikipedia--William H. Seward
2) Seward House Museum
3) University of Rochester--William Henry Seward Papers


    

No comments:

Post a Comment