Wednesday, August 21, 2019

TRUMAN

Joe Bakewell.

TRUMAN.


I’ve just finished Truman’s biography by David McCullough, who does a remarkable job recreating the emotions of the times. Truman surely had a greater number of crises to deal with on his watch than any other president. McCullough’s summary near the end of the book brings it all back as I recall having lived through it.

Truman’s life after leaving office was previously unknown to me. Although respect for his presidential leadership and decisions rises, he loses influence along with physical and mental prowess. He begins to refer to himself as a little old man.

At one point, a writer from the N Y Times comes for an interview. He doesn’t state his purpose which is to write Truman’s obituary. When they sit down, Truman smiles and says, “I know why you’re here.”

Near the end of his life, he never breaks from his values, his belief system, his genuine concern for all individuals, great and small. He continues to correspond with old friends.

As you can tell, I loved the book and wish that I’d been less judgmental during those times when Harry was struggling to do the right thing.

The book has had another effect on me. I’m not sure how long it will last but I’m very aware of my own mortality. Truman lived to be 88 years, 8 months. People, both those near to me and those casually interacting (sales clerks, etc.) treat me differently than they did 10-15 years ago. And I believe that loving family members have some kind of fuzzy time line.

You can draw your own conclusions here; I have none to offer.

Joe Bakewell.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment