Wednesday, October 28, 2020

UNCERTAINTY

 
Joe Bakewell.

UNCERTAINTY.

A great deal has been written about polarity in our society, particularly in politics. Nowadays, polite, respectful discussions among people of opposing positions are unheard of. This was not always the case.

In my youth, I remember listening to adult conversations which could be described as 'mild-mannered' arguments. The participants enjoyed themselves and appreciated each other. Occasionally, one 'had to admit' the need to rethink some aspect of his, or her, opinion.

I believe that our nation is worse off for the loss of this type of social intercourse. There is no chance of reversing many of the changes in how we live. Television is just one of the time-consuming influences in our lives. Cell phones, social media, computer games, and computers themselves divert our attention from 'old-fashioned' conversations. 'Body Language?' What’s that?

I’m not smart enough to know what to do about this. In my own case, I’ve come to cherish the company of a few good friends (They seldom agree with me). And Covid 19 is raising hell with this part of my life, but it won’t last forever. 

Meanwhile, writing helps—it’s like a conversation with myself. How agreeable can you get?

Joe Bakewell

https://joebakewell.wordpress.com/

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment