Friday, February 22, 2013

Old Case of Murder by Arsenic (Part Five)


 
 
Utica Morning Herald and Daily Gazette, Morrisville, Oct. 14.
 

     At the opening of the court this morning, Frances Shrouder again took the stand for cross-examination. Without making any alterations in her testimony, she left it at half past 11.

     George Shrouder, her husband, said he “recollected the fact of the washing of the bed stead with arsenic. I was present when that occurred. I knew of Mrs. Barnard's ill health. She complained of pain in her side, stomach, etc. I never knew or suspected that Mrs. Barnard had any intention of taking her life.” On the cross-examination he
said he never told George Comstock that a dose of strychnine would do her good.

     George Donahue, who said he had lived in Chittenango twenty years and known the
Barnard family very well, testified: “A short time before Mr. Barnard died I went to his
house at the request of Frances to help him. I watched with her father that night. While
there Mrs. Barnard said she could not go up stairs on account of lameness. She com-
plained of pain, and said she had about as soon die as live. I was at their house every
other night till Mr. Barnard died, and the prisoner always appeared good-natured.”

     Elizabeth Cowden testified: “I have been acquainted with the Bernard family for a very long time. In 1876 I had a conversation with Mrs. Barnard in which she said she was very miserable, and also told me where her pain was. She said she did not expect that she would ever be better. Frances’ temper is very mild. I never knew her and her mother to be angry. I am 71 years old.”

     Thomas Pinch, of Chittenango, said: “During the spring of 1879 Mrs. Barnard complained to me of being sick. I noticed that the relations between Frances and her mother were generally very pleasant.”

     George Daharsh on being recalled said: “The house of the Barnards is worth, I should think, about $250.” On the cross-examination he said it was new.

     Dr. Taylor, on being recalled, said he “had heard nearly all of the evidence of the defense, and from that should say that arsenical poisoning did not cause death. The woman's death, I should say, resulted from some inflammatory action or other.” On cross-examination, he said curiously enough: "I have said that it was an undoubted case of poisoning a number of times."

     Dr. D.D. Chase, a physician and surgeon of Morrisville, said he “had had practice in poisoning cases. From the evidence of the defense in regard to the symptom; and physical condition of the deceased I could not say that she died from arsenical poisoning.”

     Here the defense rested the case.

     Mrs. Laney Gates, when recalled by the people, testified: “During any time I saw Mrs. Barnard during her last illness, she never said anything to me about any breach or bunch on her person.”

     The taking of evidence closed here, and the court adjourned at 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment