Wednesday, May 30, 2018

TRUST

Joe Bakewell.

TRUST


Recently, a few items in the news have caught my interest for reasons that have little to do with the news. They are first, the objections to Amazon’s sale of facial recognition technology to police departments in the U.S.; and second, congressional concern for national security in the matter of forgiving ZTE, a Chinese cell phone manufacturer, for violating sanctions on Iran and thereby allowing them to import chips from the U.S. and to sell phones here.

I have no special insight or information regarding either of these issues. The first caused me to think that many, possibly most, citizens don’t trust their elected officials to maintain control over the ethics of their police. My initial reaction to the ZTE matter was to wonder what special interests were being served. Might this be a protectionist move?

Taken together, I realized that I don’t trust our government. I haven’t always been this way. Certainly, when I joined the army and when I participated in a tiny way in our moon landing, I was a proud American.

Today, the self-serving, self-enriching members of our House and Senate, and their ‘fellow travelers’ disgust me, and I feel for all the patriotic public servants who are forced to compromise their values while doing their duty.

But, as I’ve heard so often, “There’s nothing we can do about it.”

Joe Bakewell
 

No comments:

Post a Comment