Monday, December 7, 2020

SOCIETY BREAKDOWN

                                     
Joe Bakewell.

                                              Society Breakdown.

I’ve been interested in watching a PBS program entitled ‘Stories from the stage.’ Individuals telling personal stories that range from humorous to tragic.

I’m surprised that so many deal with painful developments in lives. ‘Coming Out’ is a frequent subject along with other sexual orientation difficulties.

I associate these with my reading of the difficulties experienced by teen age girls, many ending in suicide. I’m told by some educators that many girls seek to alter their sex, obtaining surgery to remove their breasts.

Many boys have to come to grips with discovering that they are gay.

These problems are not confined to the young; stories abound in which married couples discover a ‘problem’ years into their marriage.

For almost everyone reading this, there are no surprises, and I’m wondering what percentage of our population is affected by these, or other deep-seated emotional problems?

Using my estimate, or yours, the drain on our society is significant and is likely growing, requiring increased government spending on social programs.

Please note: this problem predates Covid 19 and will not disappear with the vaccine.

I believe it has something to do with the ever-growing reliance on technology as a substitute for human interaction—we don’t play cards anymore, we watch TV and we seem to have lost the capacity for friendly, respectful discussions of subjects on which we disagree.

As I puzzle over this issue and what might be done about it, I recognize my ignorance and invite your input. Think positive. Please do not expand, or expound on the problem.

Perhaps it’s time to relearn the gentle art of listening. But how? I’m thinking that trust comes first.

Joe Bakewell.

https://joebakewell.wordpress.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment