Monday, August 2, 2021

OUR NEW DEMOCRACY AND WHAT TO MAKE OF IT

 
Joe Bakewell.

OUR NEW DEMOCRACY AND WHAT TO MAKE OF IT

As I try to make sense of what politicians do these days, it strikes me that what we have is more a culture war than political disagreements. Attacks on the opposition are personal, not differences of opinion. Destroying a person’s character is more important than disagreement on policy. Voters are left to figure out for themselves what the issues are.

This is a corruption of our democracy. The assumption seems to be that we are all tribal, all on either the Left or the Right. Liberals or Conservatives, Democrats or Republicans, and we will vote accordingly if angry enough to get out and do so.

Perhaps this assumption is accurate, and we deserve the result. I certainly believe that our current politicians are unprincipled, dishonest, and greedy. Will a great leader emerge and call them out? Will the haters get to her, or him first?

People who know me well think of me as an optimist. I’m wrong so often these days; I must be a ‘cock-eyed‘ one.

Joe Bakewell.

https://joebakewell.wordpress.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment