Friday, January 16, 2015


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, February 8, 1889.

Delivered Himself Up to the Sheriff.
   Last Sunday evening Hugh O’Neill of  Springville, N. Y., arrived in town and registered at the Messenger House. The Friday evening previous he had received a telegram from his counsel Riley Champlin, of this village, conveying the information that the Court of Appeals had affirmed the judgment of the Circuit Court convicting him of arson in burning his wagon shops.
   O'Neil was at Lima, O., and had not seen his family in several months, but he took the first train for Cortland, supposing that he was required to deliver himself up at once in order to save his bail. He arrived on the 10 P. M. train and went at once to the sheriff's office and notified that officer that he was at his service. Mr. Borthwick told him to go back to his hotel as he had no papers to hold him upon.
   Monday morning he endeavored to find his counsel, but he was out of town. He was informed by Mr. Bouton, his counsel's partner, that he had forty days in which to surrender himself. O'Neil said that if he had been aware of that fact he would have stopped to see his family in Springville.
   Soon after 9 o'clock he called at the First National Bank where he deposited $6,000 two years ago with Mr. Edward Keator, who bailed him in that sum pending the appeal of his case. He informed Mr. Keator that he had come to deliver himself up to the officers of the law and take his punishment. After a few moments conversation he left and called upon the District Attorney. What transpired there we are unable to relate, as it would be impossible to obtain at the present writing but one side of the story.
   O'Neil left the office at any rate and took the 11 o'clock car [train] for Homer and got off at the Mansion House and that is the last that has been seen of him. The appearance of Mr. O'Neill in the District Attorney's office seems to have aroused that individual from his Rip Van Winkle slumbers, and it suddenly dawned upon him that it would be necessary for the sheriff to have certain papers in order to hold a prisoner, who was asking to be imprisoned.
   The papers were made out finally and delivered to the Sheriff who went to Homer and of course failed to find his man. The prevailing opinion is that O'Neill has gone to Springville to see his family and that he will return inside of the forty days. There are those however, who believe he will keep out of harm’s way for the future. Those who hold the latter opinion are undoubtedly marking out the course that they themselves would pursue under like circumstances. O'Neill told Mr. Keator that he preferred to serve his term.
   The fact that the $6,000 had been turned over to the county would not release him from the obligation of serving his term whenever any one chose to cause him to be arrested, while if he served the sentence, with good behavior he would be out in three years and nine months. Of course Mr. Keator still has the $6,000 in his possession. During the sitting of the Court last week the bond was estreated and the District Attorney was authorized to proceed to collect the same. If O'Neil returns within the forty days, the money will be paid over to him, otherwise it will go into the County Treasury.

Second Annual Meeting of the Cortland Soldiers and Sailors' Association—Election of Officers, etc.
   The second annual meeting of the Cortland County Soldiers and Sailors' Association was held at the Bijou Theatre [Taylor Hall] in this village last Tuesday. The business meeting was called to order at eleven A. M., President A. P. Smith in the chair and C. W. Wiles, Sec'y and Geo. L. Warren, Treasurer being also present. After the payment of dues and the joining of new members, the president announced that the next order of business was the election of officers for the coming year, and at the same time advised that there be a change of officers, especially of president. The following officers were elected:
   President—Frank T. Newcomb, of Homer.
   1st Vice Pres.— Dr. M. B. Aldrich, of Marathon.
   2d Vice-Pres.—Col. Frank Place of Cortland.
   Secretary—C. W. Wiles, of Marathon.
   Treasurer—Geo L. Warren, of Cortland.
   Surgeon—Dr. H. C. Hendricks, of McGrawville.
   Chaplin—Rev. J. A. Robinson, of Cortland, with an executive committee consisting of one member from each election district in the county, and chosen by the members from the respective towns. The following old Vets, constitute the board:
   Cortlandville-District No. 1, B. E. Miller; district No. 2. E. M. Seacord; district No. 3. M. W. Smith; district No. 4 A. Sager.
   Cuyler—J. W. Patrick.
   Cincinnatus—C. R. Warner.
   Freetown—J. E. Fish.
   Harford—H. W. Bradley.
   Homer—No. 1, L. L. Barrett; No. 2, E. A. Williams; No. 3, W. S. Stephenson.
   Lapeer—Egbert Peak.
   Marathon—A. P. Green.
   Preble—W. A. Morgan.
   Scott—Miles G. Frisbie.
   Solon—I. J. Walker.
   Taylor—L. D. Finn.
   Truxton—F. Schermerhorn.
   Virgil—No. 1, Albert Hollenbeek; No. 2, Lyman Madison.
   Willett—Charles Church.
   A resolution was unanimously passed recommending the appointment of Maj. Theodore L. Poole of Syracuse, commissioner of pensions. The Constitution was amended so as to make the annual dues twenty-five instead of fifty cents.
   An adjournment was had till 1:30 P. M.
   At the afternoon session about seventy-five of the veterans were joined by the ladies of the Homer Relief Corps with a few ladies from Cortland, and a pleasant time had by all. Prayer was offered by Chaplain Robinson, when followed short speeches by the president and comrades A. P. Smith, J. A. Robinson, A. Saver, F. Place, H. C. Hendricks, C. W. Wiles, C. H. Spaulding, M. N. Tompkins and others, interspersed with army songs, in which comrade N. G. Harmon led followed by all the singers in the audience.
   Although the day was stormy and disagreeable, the meeting was a success, and enjoyed by all present.
   The plan of the Association is to hold a business meeting in the winter and a social gathering in the summer of each year, at the latter of which especially the ladies are expected to join the [civil war] veterans. The plan is now being discussed of tenting out next summer for two or three days.
   The next annual meeting will be held in Homer. The "boys" seem to enjoy the discussion of old times and war reminiscences immensely. "Long may they wave."

Truxton School.
   The following is the average standing of the pupils in the school at Truxton.
The examination papers were prepared by the commissioners, and the examination conducted by the trustee, Jan. 10-11, '89.
Mary Cooney, 97 [100 std]
Karl Wiegand, 96
Mary Dodd, 95
Mary Wallace, 95
Bridgie McAuliffe, 95
Kittie Haneen, 95
Kittie Lillis, 94
Bertha Weigand, 93
Jennie Lillis, 92
Mary Muldoon, 92
Mott Meldrim, 90
Charlie Weigand, 88
Judah Grey, 88
Daniel Roche, 85

Minnie Wiegand, 92
Anna Crofoot, 88
D. Twentyman, 85
R. McAllister, 84
Frank Goddard, 85
Mary Mullane, 83
Ardell Heath, 83
Lizzie Maycomber, 83

John McGraw, 92
Della Hildreth, 91
Perl Peckham, 89
J. Twentyman, 88
Ruth Connic, 87
Eddie Bosworth, 83
Thos. McAuliffe, 82
Daniel McAuliffe, 80
Katie Gorman, 80
Arthur Geweye, 83

Louise Connic, 87
Alice McAllister, 87
Lena Muldoon, 85
Betha Bosworth, 85
Mary O'Brien, 83
Lulu Hildreth, 76
Charlie Maxson, 64 [uh-oh—CC editor]
   The fourth grade is the most advanced, and 100 is perfect.
   Truxton, Feb. 4th, 1889.
   GEO. E. BARKER, Prin.

   The Cortland Corset Company expect to start up again in about two weeks.
   The next term of the Normal School commences at 8:45 A M., on Wednesday next.
   Dr. T. B. Stowell will lecture on "Electricity" in the Y. M. C. A. rooms, next Monday evening.
   The topic for the gospel meeting at the W. C. T. U. rooms, Feb. 10th, is "Moral teaching in the public schools."
   Several of our town correspondents have not shown up in some months. What is the matter with them? Are they all right?
   Somebody has taken trouble to keep count of the rainy days during the past year, and find the number to be 200.—Cincinnatus Register.
   The thermometer registered 22 degrees below zero on Union street, last Sunday night, and in many other localities about town it marked 18 degrees [below zero.]
   Chas. B. Fuller, for some time past clerk at the Hotel Windsor in Homer, has rented Dunbar's hotel in Preble for two years, commencing March 1st next.
   Last Friday noon, while Mr. Fred Bowker, of Summerhill, was driving down Railroad street, one of his horses fell down near the corner of Railroad and Church streets, and died almost immediately.
   Superintendent of Public Institution Draper has decided to give all school districts until Feb. 1st, 1889, to comply with the law relative to outbuildings. All districts which have not at that time complied with the law, will receive no public money in the apportionment to be made in March next.
   Cortland Canton [Odd Fellows] will give a street parade at 7:30, Feb. 13th. In order that all who desire to do so may attend the grand masque ball in the evening, the committee have decided to put the full bill at the very low price of $1.50. Spectators' tickets 25 cents. This will undoubtedly be one of the grandest affairs that has taken place in Cortland in many years, and as the tickets are placed at a very low figure, almost every one can afford to attend. The visiting officers, as well as the members of Canton Cortland, will appear in full uniforms, which are very handsome. The drill alone will be well worth the price of a ticket. Be sure and attend, and you will count the time and money well spent.
   The Cortland Omnibus and Cab Company's engine broke down on Tuesday, and will require several days for repairs.
   Under the law, a person who finds lost property and keeps it without making every effort to find the owner, is guilty of larceny.
   Clarence K. Brown and Chas. A. Chidsey, the prestidigitators of this place, gave an entertainment in Groton, Wednesday evening.
   Between the hours of 12:00 and 1:00 o'clock, last Sunday evening, the thermometer registered 24 degrees below zero, 1 1/2 miles north of Homer village.
   The Cortland Opera House was filled last Monday evening with people who went to hear Stetson's Uncle Tom's Cabin Company. The company gave a good performance, notwithstanding the fact that the piece is a pretty old chestnut.
   The committee appointed to procure plans and specifications for the new Presbyterian church to be erected in this village, will make their report recommending the adoption of the plans printed in this paper last week, at a meeting of the society next Monday.
   John O. Reid has sold a one-half interest in his meat market on Clinton avenue, to Sumner H. Webster, of Truxton. Mr. Reid will hereafter be able to give more of his time to the management of the affairs of the Talmadge Cart and Buggy Company in which he is largely interested.
   Last Monday evening boys on the streets were crying "Cortland Daily Message, only three cents," and this was about the first that any one knew that we were to have a daily paper. It is a six column four page sheet, newsy and well printed. D. S. Jones Esq., formerly of Walton, N. Y., is the editor and proprietor, and the paper is printed from the Monitor presses. The compliments of the season to you brother Jones and "may you live long and prosper."
   Ka-na-jo-ha-lis Indian band and orchestra are booked for Thursday evening, February 7th, at the Opera House, in an entertainment purely original with themselves, consisting of instrumental music, Indian songs and dances, and feats in magic by Ko-ne-yo-he, a red man of considerable reputation. Watch for the street parade and war paint on the afternoon of the engagement. Prices reduced to 15, 25, 35 and 50 cents on this occasion, to give children an equal opportunity of witnessing the peculiar and startling habits and amusements of the Six Nations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment