Sunday, December 4, 2011

Mayor Feiszli Explains Termination Of Former Corporation Counsel Walsh

August 19, 2011



Dear Constituents:


This letter is in response to Mr. Walsh. If, as an attorney, he is going to accuse me of being ‘ineffective and impulsive”, he should support his comments and accusations with facts.


Mr. Walsh claims that I failed to follow through on projects. I am very interested in knowing exactly what those projects are. As an attorney, he should know better to make such claims without supporting documentation. Again, with “mis or non management”, I am interested to hear what documentation he has to support his opinion of mismanagement. Mr. Walsh - please reply at your earliest convenience as I look forward to your response.


I thank Mr. Aldrich for publicly supporting me along with many others in the community. It appears that Mr. Aldrich’s support for me ruffled former Mayor Walsh’s feathers. Mr. Aldrich, and many residents in our community who know me, understand that I would NEVER turn my back on any residents of the city. I take great offense that Mr. Walsh would imply that I am ineffectual. As your mayor, I treat EVERYONE equally and have always believed that working together is the best way to solve ANY issue we face as a city, and so far it has been a successful approach.


Since Mr. Walsh has made accusations about me, I feel that I have no choice but to make a few observations about Mr. Walsh during his time as corporation counsel for the city. At this time, I am only going to discuss the rental permit law as this has been a highly controversial subject. Unlike Mr.Walsh, I have documented everything that I state below.


When the rental permit law came to the common council for adoption, I had honest
concerns with the law as written. I voted for the law with the understanding that those
problems would be amended after adoption. This never happened and now the city is
being sued for the exact issues that I was concerned about.


When the city received threats from landlords to sue the city over the housing
ordinance, I asked former Corporation Counsel Ron Walsh to draft a letter to the city
council asking them to consider working with the landlords to solve the housing
problems. I believe that Mr. Tobin was the only alderman who responded saying that we
should challenge the landlords. One week later the city received notice of the lawsuit.
After listening to former corporation counsel litigate three times before a Justice
of the Supreme Court, I was embarrassed and disappointed by what appeared to be a
lack of knowledge and conviction to defend the rental permit law, not to mention
lack of knowledge of New York State statutes and the State Constitution. Three others
were present when Mr. Walsh was in Court and can attest that they too were
unimpressed, disappointed and embarrassed by Mr. Walsh’s efforts.


It was during that time I stated publicly that I did not believe the City of Cortland would
prevail in the lawsuit. I didn’t give my reasoning for this belief; however, it was owing
to the advocacy the city was receiving from the Law Department—Mr. Walsh. I hope
you can appreciate that I had no intention of embarrassing the former corporation 
counsel. I remained silent and I took heat from the press, Hill Association and SONG,
instead of being candid and asserting that my reservations regarding the suit had to do
with a lack confidence in Corporation Counsel Ron Walsh to successfully defend
against the lawsuit.


Looking back, I believe that Mr. Walsh realized it too, because he asked me to retain
attorney Larry Knickerbocker to litigate a court case and land-use attorney Don
Cheney to assist with strategy development. I approved the use of the two attorneys
until Mr. Walsh asked to retain yet a third attorney, Mr. S. Frances Williams, to 
write a response to the judge. The city’s outside legal fees at the time were nearly
$80,000 over budget. Because of this, I refused his request and said he would have to
work on the response himself. A heated discussion followed where I finally asked
for his resignation.


When current Corporation Counsel Patrick Perfetti was unanimously confirmed by
Common Council, he was adamant that he would fight and defend the lawsuit. These
past few months, Mr. Perfetti has worked in concert with Meira Hertzburg and so far,
the  city has been successful. This administration will continue to work for the best
interest of the City of Cortland and make the necessary modifications to the rental
permit program so that it is an enforceable law.


Please understand that I never intended to bring this issue up in public. This is a
close knit community and I have no animosity toward Mr. Walsh and wish him the best
in his future endeavors. I would never write something such as this without
having the documentation to support it.


Please feel free to call if you would like to talk or meet to discuss this further.


Respectfully,


Mayor Susan Feiszli

Editor's Note:  This letter was distributed to a few close friends and supporters of the
mayor at the date shown. One of those supporters furnished the Cortland Contrarian
with a copy a few days ago. Had we obtained a copy when it was first circulated, we
would have published it during the primary campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment