Monday, March 16, 2020

DEJA VUE


Joe Bakewell.

DEJA VUE.


Most of us are living in some form of social isolation, and I’m struggling to adjust my thinking and emotions to this new way of living. Or, is it new?

For many years, it’s been my practice to write; to force my thinking into words when trying to work through an issue.

I have clear memories of WW2; how it started; what it felt like, and how it ended. There are similarities to our current problems.

When it started there was fear, and even some panic on the west coast. As it turned out, the Japanese did not have the capability to follow up Pearl Harbor with an invasion, but that did not stop us from interning loyal Japanese-Americans, and building gun emplacements on the west coast.

The fear dissipated, and we found ways to deal with the German submarines off our east coast. We were into the war: air raid drills, rationing and writing to service men. I did; I wrote to men from Coytesville. I was surprised and delighted when they wrote back. After the war, I was invited to several homecoming parties.

It was the time in between that comes back to me now. A sense of life suspended. Many small businesses were closed; a sign in the window, “Closed for the Duration”. School, movies, sports went on as before; albeit without the star players. I followed the war on maps provided by my Uncle Bert, who worked for CBS News in NYC.
.
I can’t recall how long it took—a year? before we knew that we were winning; from that point on everyone focused on what it would be like after the war. Some of the wonders that we’d seen at the World’s Fair (i.e. TV) would be available.

When will we reach that point in our current crisis?

There was a time, not that long ago, when writers would interrupt a narrative to directly address their readers. “Dear and gentle reader etc.” My readers are dear but not gentle so I will not venture a guess on an answer to the previous question.

Joe Bakewell.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment