Monday, February 13, 2017


Lehigh Valley engine No. 919.

Cortland Evening Standard, Friday, December 1, 1893.

General Manager Voorhees Full of Confidence—Strikers Deserting.
   PHILADELPHIA, Dec. 1.—General Manager Voorhees of the Lehigh Valley railroad states that the strike is entirely over, so far as the company is concerned. He says all trains, both passenger and freight, are running full and making good time.
   He spoke of the Wyoming Valley division as being now in good running order.
   Chairman E. E. Clark stated that so far he had not received any intelligence as to how President Wilbur's ultimatum had been received by the strikers.

No Change About the Strike.
   JERSEY CITY, Dec. 1.—Six empty freight trains were sent out on the Lehigh Valley road this forenoon and three loaded trains were received. Passenger trains were started on schedule time and arrived from ten minutes to an hour late. Passenger traffic is very light and the quantity of freight offered is small compared with the business of the road before the strike. There were no signs of the strike being ordered off this morning and none of the old men applied for reinstatement.

Specials Attacked by Strikers.
   NEW YORK, Nov. Dec 1.—A squad of Chief Gregory's specials returned to the Communipaw yards and reported that while guarding a westbound Lehigh freight train they were attacked by a mob of railroad men who had congregated near the Singer Sewing Machine works at Elizabethport. The mob threw stones at the specials, who were on top of the freight cars. Several of the officers were struck by the missiles. They drew their revolvers and opened fire on the railroad men. A half dozen shots were fired into the crowd as the train passed. The specials say they do not know whether or not any of the men were hit by the bullets. Chief Gregory's men are not sure whether the mob was made up of striking Lehigh employes [sic] or Jersey Central railroad men.
   A meeting of the strikers to consider President Wilbur's ultimatum was held in Jersey City. About 75 of the leaders were present. At the close of the meeting a reporter was informed that it had been decided to pay no attention to the ultimatum. The strikers decided that if any of them went back to work they must all be taken back as a union, and also must be placed on the same footing they were before the strike. The men say the strike is not over by any means and they are still confident of winning.

All Quiet at Jersey City.
   JERSEY CITY, Dec. 1.—The officials of the Lehigh Valley road in Jersey City said that everything was running smoothly at this end of the road. Five freight trains were sent out from the yards at Jersey City yesterday. They all carried detectives. The usual police guard was kept in the yards. There was a marked improvement in the passenger service and the trains were but little delayed.
   Another accident, through inexperience, was reported in the yards. Frank Langley of New York, a new brakeman, who took a striker's place, attempted to couple cars at the Baldwin avenue crossing and fell under the wheels. His left leg was cut off at the thigh.

Lehigh Engine's Deadly Explosion.
   ROCHESTER, Dec. 1.—Engine No. 607 of the Lehigh Valley road, drawing freight from Manchester to Sayre, exploded at VanEtten tank. Two men whose names are unknown were blown into pieces. Two more were seriously injured. The explosion is supposed to be due to inexperienced handling of the engine.

Hit by Stones.
   AUBURN, Dec 1.—The Lehigh is running nearly its full quota of trains and seems to have no difficulty in obtaining all the help needed. The deputies still guard the yards and last night two of them were hit with stones. The strikers are still firm in their determination to stay out until President Wilbur makes the concessions demanded. They claim he is responsible for the strike and they will not return to work until he promises to reinstate every man who went out on strike.

Rumors that Instructor Merriam and Miss Yeargin have Eloped.
   Ithaca is much excited over the report that Dr. L. S. Merriam and Miss L. Yeargin, who were supposed to have been drowned in Lake Cayuga on Nov. 18, were in New York City, and that the doctor had written a friend in Ithaca last Friday informing him of his whereabouts. Every day since the two young people first disappeared, the lake has been dragged by boatmen. Four candlepower incandescent lamps, run by a small Edison dynamo, have been employed in illuminating the bottom of the lake, so that the search could be more thoroughly made. But all to no avail.
   There are some queer things connected with the affair. When Boatman Jarvis cautioned Doctor Merriam to keep near the shore as he started out on the fatal afternoon, the doctor is said to have replied something to this effect:
   "You will oblige me by minding your own business. I have charge of this boat, and as long as you receive your pay for it you have no occasion to interfere."
   The doctor and the young lady then pushed off, heading directly for the center of the lake. The finding of the doctor's overcoat has also created considerable comment. The coat, together with Miss Yeargin's gloves, were found on the bank of the lake quite dry. The boat was near by partly filled with water. There are some who are inclined to believe the story that Doctor Merriam and Miss Yeargin are still alive.

He Lay Under the Carriage and the Horse for Three Hours— His Companion Lost His Way.
   One of the most peculiar accidents that we have had to chronicle for some time occurred shortly after 9 o'clock Wednesday evening when Jesse T. Peck was thrown from his carriage near his home about three miles east of McGrawville in the town of Solon on a road leading off from the main road.
   Mr. and Mrs. Peck left home about 11 o'clock Wednesday morning. Mrs. Peck stopped at McGrawville, while Mr. Peck came on to Cortland and purchased a belt for his tread horse power machine for sawing wood. He started from Cortland about 5 o'clock, took his wife in at McGrawville and together they reached home at about 9 o'clock. Mrs. Peck went into the house.
   Mr. Peck then took into his carriage with him his hired man, who had worked for him but a few days and whose name we have been unable to learn and they started for the wood lot, where they had been cutting wood. It is supposed that Mr. Peck intended to leave the belt at the machine or try it on, but they carried no light.
   It was a very dark night and it was difficult to keep in the road which had a gutter on the left side and an embankment on the right. In some way the carriage ran up the embankment and was turned over. Both men were thrown out, but the hired man sustained no injuries. Mr. Peck was thrown under the carriage, which was upside down and the horse fell over backward upon the carriage, crushing it down upon Mr. Peck.
   The hired man immediately started for assistance, but, not being very well acquainted with the country, he got into a field and got lost. He wandered about for a long time and it was about two and one-half hours before he was able to secure help. He came out on a road about three-quarters of a mile from where the accident occurred and found the residence of Mr. William Gilbert but could not tell in what direction from that place he left Mr. Peck or on what road the accident occurred. The two men walked to Mr. Peck's home, and there learned what road they had taken.
   The hired man and Mr. Gilbert went to the scene of the accident and found things just as the hired man had left them three hours before—Mr. Peck underneath the carriage with the horse held on its back by the harness on top. Mr. J. G. Bingham, who lives about a quarter of a mile away was notified and he harnessed his horse and took Mr. Peck, who was then dead, to the latter's home.
   Mr. B. D. Greenman, who also lives near by, went to McGrawville and notified Undertaker Parsons and Mrs. Clinton Borthwick, a sister of Mr. Peck's wife.
   Word reached Mr. N. J. Peck of this place about 4 o'clock yesterday morning. He and Mr. R. H. Beard went to Mr. Jesse Peck's home. Mr. Beard drove back to Cortland after Coroner W. J. Moore who summoned Drs. F. H. Forshee and M. R. Smith of McGrawville, who upon examining the body found that the neck was broken in two places. It is supposed that when he was thrown from the carriage he struck on his head. Coroner Moore decided that an inquest was unnecessary, as there was no doubt as to the cause of death.
   The remains were brought to the residence of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Beard on Charles-st. in Cortland shortly after 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The deceased was 23 years of age last August and was married two years ago last October to Miss Lillie Burvee of McGrawville. They lived here till last March, when they moved to Mr. Peck's farm near the place where the accident occurred. He learned the trade of a machinist of Cooper Brothers in Cortland and worked in their foundry for over four years. He was a member of the Forty-fifth Separate Co., and it is expected that they will attend his funeral in a body. The funeral will be held at 2 P. M. Sunday at the residence of his sister, Mrs. R. H. Beard.
   Besides a wife the deceased leaves a sister, Mrs. R. H. Beard, and three brothers, N. Jay, Clinton D., and C. Berton Peck, three uncles, Hon. Rufus T., Charles T. Peck of Cortland and M. D. Peck of Washington, D. C , and a grandmother, Mrs. Elmira T. Peck.

Daniel L. Lamont.
Secretary Lamont's Report.
   WASHINGTON, Dec. 1.—The annual report of the secretary of war gives the usual review of the condition and operations of the army, and in addition is devoted especially to the progress of the work on the seacoast defenses.
   The total strength of the army on Sept. 30, 1893, was 2,144 officers and 25,778 enlisted men. For various causes, discharge, purchase, desertion, etc., the army lost 9,456 enlisted men during the year and gained 9,074 recruits. The discipline, health, and general condition of the army are reported good.
   The secretary strongly recommends the repeal of the law fixing 10 years as the maximum period of enlistment and favors a reduction of the period of the first enlistment to three years instead of five.
   The prosecution of the experiment of enlisting Indian companies will be continued on a small scale until its success or failure has been proved.
   The adoption of the new magazine rifle is the most important step taken for the infantry since the Civil war. The entire infantry force will be equipped with the new arm before the close of the coming year.
   One-third of the report is devoted to the progress of the last eight years in the manufacture of heavy ordnance and in seacoast defense under the project of the Endicott board of 1885. Progress already made warrants the belief that within the time specified, 13 years from the first appropriation, the essential features of the plan will be carried out.
   The invention and manufacture of American brown and smokeless powder for heavy ordnance and for the magazine rifle have made slow progress, and the secretary of war urges manufacturers to solve this problem for their own profit and our national pride.
   The report pays much attention to the education of officers and men of the army and the instruction of the militia and military schools.
   The latest returns report an organized militia of 112,597 in the states, of whom in round numbers 6,000 are in the artillery maintained by 34 states, and 5,000 in the cavalry maintained by 24 states.
   The improvement of the harbors and [internal] waterways of the country, a work of immense consequence to our commerce and general benefit to the people, has made excellent progress under the support of the liberal appropriations voted for that purpose.
   The expenditures for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1893, were $51,966,074.89.
   The appropriations for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1894, were $48,023,525.79.
   The estimates for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1895, are $52,846,499.75.
   The report contains 15,000 words.

American Made Harveyized Armor.
   BETHLEHEM. Pa, Dec 1.—The first lot of Harveyised nickel armor plate turned out in this country was shipped from the Bethlehem Iron company's ordnance works consigned to the Brooklyn navy yard. It weighed 133 tons and will serve as side armor for the battleship Maine.

   —In police court this morning Charles White paid a fine of three dollars for public intoxication,
   —Rev. S. J. Parmiter will speak at the East Side reading room Sunday afternoon at 4:15 o'clock.
   —The King's Daughters will meet in their rooms, 9 Clinton-ave., Saturday, Dec. 2, at 2:30 P. M.
   —The Epworth league of the First Methodist church will hold a sociable at the church parlors this evening.
   —A party of six played a game of croquet Thanksgiving day on the lawn of Mr. A. Finch, No. 9 Garfield-st.
   —Detectives have been in town during the past week looking for butter thieves who have been operating in this vicinity.
   —The Alpha C. L. S. C. will meet next Monday evening, Dec. 4, with Mrs. Cummings, 42 Port Watson-st. Visitors are welcome.
   —The people who have been appropriating papers on Arthur-ave., which have been delivered to STANDARD subscribers, had better cease that pleasant pastime as they are known.
   —Two boys have been expelled from the Winona, Minn., Normal school because they parted their hair in the middle. The principal declared that he would not permit such an "effeminate practice."
   —Dan Cleary was arrested by Sheriff Miller on Church-st. last evening for public intoxication. In police court this morning he was sentenced to three days or three dollars. Not having the latter he is now serving the former. This is his third offence.
   —A correspondent of an exchange makes the suggestion that coal ashes would make a road equally as good as macadam. He says: "If all the unsightly heaps of this kind were gathered each spring and scattered along the roads, we would soon find that we had a road bed almost equal to asphalt, and which could neither grow muddy or dusty, as is proven by some of the driveways in town made of coal ashes."

No comments:

Post a Comment