Saturday, February 25, 2017


Cortland Evening Standard, Wednesday, December 13, 1893.

His Letter to Lehigh Officials Made Public—Demanded Recognition of the Federation's Representatives—The Regular Monthly Meeting of the Lehigh Directors—President Wilbur's Report Adopted Without Opposition.
   PHILADELPHIA, Dec. 13.—The directors of the Lehigh Valley held their regular monthly meeting here. President Wilbur and the entire board, with one exception, were present. Mr. Wilbur, in his report, reviewed the recent strike, its cause and settlement. A letter from Chief Ramsay of the Order of Railway Telegraphers, now made public for the first time, was read, and in it the real cause of the strike is shown. It is dated, Vinton, Ia., Nov. 23, and is addressed to all members. Among other things the letter says:
   "On Saturday, Nov. 18, at 1 P. M., a strike was declared by the federated board, on the Lehigh Valley road, in which the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Brotherhood of Locomotive Fireman, Order of Railroad Conductors, Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen and Order of Railway Telegraphers participated.
   "The chief cause of the strike is refusal of the Lehigh Valley officials to recognize  Brother J. L. Hughes in his capacity as a member of the protective board of the Order of Railway Trainmen. In other words, the company's officials refuse to recognize the representatives of organized labor, the very object for which organizations are formed, hence the strike.
   "It is not the hasty action of one or two individuals, but the deliberate and just verdict of the grand body of representatives of the five greatest organizations in North America.
   "Remember that the great object and chief principle of organized labor is to get our powerful employers to recognize our representatives, for it is only then that we may deal with them in a body, and then it is only that we may be as powerful as they in order to secure a just agreement; and it is this object that is threatened today by the Lehigh Valley officials, for to render our protective boards useless is to destroy the very purpose to obtain which organized labor has undergone unspeakable sacrifice. A protective board, sustained by federation, is indeed the only means of protection to working men, but it is also the strongest and most effective, provided the individual members prove as true and as loyal as the organizations have proved to be to one another."
   "The reception of committees was not all that the employes [sic] demanded, but they made it appear that such was the case," said one of the directors.
   The loss and damage to rolling stock, resulting from the strike is given as $77,000. Mr. Wilbur said this figure did not represent the revenue lost through the suspension of passenger and freight traffic.
   "The loss," he said, "will be between $600,000 and $700,000. However, I will not be able to make any definite statement until our annual meeting."
   The meeting was most harmonious and President Wilbur's report was well received. Beside the letter referred to, it contained all the correspondence which led to the settlement of the strike. The report of the president was accepted and unanimously approved. The officers of the company were directed to have the report printed and submitted and presented to the stockholders of the company. The question of declaring a dividend at the annual meeting was not discussed.

Reduction In Wages.
   WILKES-BARRE, Pa., Dec. 13.—The employes of the Wyoming division of the Lehigh Valley railroad were notified of a reduction in wages. In future, yard engineers will be paid at the rate of $3.00 per day, a reduction of from 25 to 50 cents per day.
   Firemen will receive $1.90 per day for the first six months. $2 for the second six months, and $2.10 after one year.
   A raw brakeman who was put to work was taken sick during the night with symptoms of poisoning. Dr. Mahon of Pittston was sent for and left on a special engine. When the engine was nearing Coxton, another engine was discovered on the track.
   The crew of the special engine jumped and escaped with slight injuries. Dr. Mahon, who remained aboard, was thrown violently against the sides of the engine cab when the collision occurred, and had two ribs broken. The man who was awaiting the doctor's arrival is all right.

To Interview President Wilbur.
   WILKES-BARRE, Dec. 13.—The local Brotherhood of Engineers held a secret meeting here to take action in the cases of the engineers who were discharged. As a result of the conference, Chairman Rice of the grievance committee left for Bethlehem to interview President Wilbur.

New Strike May Be Ordered.
   ROCHESTER, N. Y., Dec. 13.—Some of the Lehigh strikers have gone back and others not. Those who have gone back are willing to join in another tie-up and agitators are adding fuel to the flames. It would not surprise anybody here to learn that a new strike had been inaugurated.

Of the Disbandment of the Forty-fifth Separate Co., N. G. S. N. Y.
   Special orders 165, general headquarters state of New York, dated December 6, have been received by Lieut. E. M. Santee. They disband the Forty-fifth Separate Co. and place Lieuts. Santee and McDowell on the supernumerary list and order Lieut. Santee to prepare and deliver to each enlisted man who makes application therefor an honorable discharge, and all discharges not applied for on or before January 31, 1894, are ordered returned to the adjutant general, along with all the company's books of records and muster out rolls. The chief of ordinance is directed to send officers to Cortland, and Lieut. McDowell is ordered to turn over all state property in his possession to the state officials who will receipt for the same.
   Lieut. McDowell is ordered to turn over this property because, when he resigned, there was some state property missing, some of the boys having it in their possession, and Lieut. Santee refused to receipt for it till the property was made good. Lieut. McDowell's resignation was not accepted, and the property still remains constructively in his possession. All [Cortland] county property is ordered turned over to the proper county officers.

A Fine Cooler.
   Mr. Charles W. Stoker is having built in his well appointed grocery in the Garrison building one of the best refrigerators in town. It is built of Georgia Pine, is fourteen by nine feet and is partitioned off in the most convenient way for the exhibition and preserving of perishable goods. In the front are two large windows so that goods can be exhibited in warm weather and still be kept cold. The front part is built for the heavier meats, while the back part will be devoted to salt meats and butter. Two windows are also placed in the south side for the exhibition of butter, etc. The salt meat part will be used in summer for preserving fruits. The chest in the upper part will hold two tons of ice, and the cooler throughout is fitted with the latest mode of ventilation and will be ready for use about January 1, when his meat market will be opened.

A Fine Stock.
   This is the twenty-fourth Holiday season at the store of D. F. Wallace & Co. Nearly a quarter of a century ago the store was opened, it has since spread out, trade has grown from year to year and there has been a steady demand for better goods and more artistic work from the commencement. Extraordinary pains have been taken this season, in view of the hard times, and while the stock was perhaps never so rich yet prices are within the reach of all.
   Special attention has been paid to the selection of books, selections having been made from only those of intrinsic merit, including all the latest works by popular authors as well as complete sets of the old favorites. In many instances prices have been reduced remarkably, as in the case of many of Hawthorne's works as well as those of Donald G. Mitchell (Ik Marvel) beautifully bound in cloth which are retailed for thirty cents.
   In family and teachers' Bibles the stock is unusually large, the firm making a specialty of the genuine Oxford Bibles. In photograph albums many novelties in plush, silver and celluloid are shown. There is also a very handsome stock of gentlemen's dressing cases, shaving sets, collar and cuff boxes, ladies' toilet sets, glove and handkerchief boxes in celluloid, leather and wood.
   The firm also have a new line of Florentine brass goods in picture frames, ink stands and pen trays. The display of Japanese goods in the way of curios and bric-a-brac is a remarkably fine one. Very dainty china sets, both after-dinner and tea are also shown. In the art department are exhibited water colors by such well-known artists as Mulholland and Field, oil paintings by Bowdish and a choice line of etchings by well-known artists. In this department should also be mentioned a very fine line of hand-painted books executed especially for the firm by Mrs. A. F. Aird. There are shown new designs in onyx tables, stands, banquet lamps and screens, all bearing evidence of having been selected with great care.
   In groups the firm show some fine selections of the well-known Rogers' statuettes, as well as a few of the celebrated Austrian majolicas. There are also some exquisite vases in royal Hungarian ware, of which there is nothing finer produced. A call will show one of the largest Christmas stocks of fine goods in town.

   [We copy articles as they were printed, past rules of grammar included—CC editor.]

   The Episcopal church fair last night was a grand success. The old Murray store was decorated with evergreens and drapery and filled with tables and booths and everything pertaining to a church fair. On the right hand side of the room as one entered was the lemon squeeze booth, at which one could purchase a lemon for ten cents and upon squeezing it or tearing it open a ticket was found which called for a prize. Some very amusing prizes were secured. Farther down the room was a fortune teller's booth which was kept busy all the evening. The center of the room contained a long table at which refreshments were served and a very nice luncheon could be obtained for ten cents. On the south side of the room was a long counter running the length of the store upon which were displayed for sale fancy articles, comfortables, pillows, aprons, etc. The sale of these articles was very successful and a large quantity of beautiful bits of handiwork was disposed of. In the southeast corner of the room was a candy booth. The candy was nearly all homemade and was delicious. The whole affair was a great credit to the ladies and gentlemen in charge of it.
   The Baptist Columbian festival to be given in the Baptist church, the evenings of Dec. 19 and 20, promises to be a novel affair with World's Fair features, tableaux, music, recitations, etc. Articles suitable for Christmas presents, including dressed dolls, on sale. Admission 15 cents.
   The Ella Fontainebleau company is giving great satisfaction to its audiences. The play to-night will be "Our boys," a play which has never been put on the stage in Homer. It is a very amusing comedy and will certainly be well worth going to see.
   Frank Conklin, the mail carrier running between Spafford and Homer, died last night at about 10:30 o'clock of supposed paralysis of the heart. The deceased drove over the route yesterday as usual, but complained during the evening of not feeling very well, just as if, he said, every bone in his body was aching. Later on he grew worse and Dr. Reynolds of Borodino was summoned, but before he arrived Conklin had died. He had been carrying the mail on the route, since July. He was about thirty years old and leaves a wife. His home is at Pompey. Since he has been running the Spafford stage he has resided at the Spafford hotel.

Over $200 Netted—Credit due Managers and Performers—To be Repeated
Next Saturday Night.
   The City Band minstrels attracted nearly as large a crowd last evening as it did the night before. The show was put on with a few slight changes, which were all improvements. Each part was well taken and the band boys were all very much pleased with the success of the undertaking. The exact amount netted from both entertainments is not exactly known, but after all bills are paid, the boys will clear over two hundred dollars.
   A great deal of credit is due Mr. E. S. Burrows, who managed the show in such an excellent manner. The success of the performance throughout was due to his untiring training in rehearsals.
   The success of the instrumental music is due Messrs. Fred I. Graham, who arranged the music, and F. A. Mangang, who led the orchestra. Mr. M. Day Murphey's work was clearly discernible in the vocal selections, but, owing to a severe cold, he was unable to sing at all Monday evening and did not do himself justice last evening.
   The Cortland City band feel under great obligations to all those who took part in the performance. Many of the boys purchased their own costumes, paying for them out of their own pockets. Every man has lost the time spent in rehearsals, street parades and giving the performance. In fact all the performers are out more or less money and time. The band have offered them all money, but each and every performer has re fused remuneration and the band boys, hoping to at least partially repay them for money and time spent, decided this afternoon to repeat the entertainment Saturday evening, reduce the prices of admission to ten, twenty and thirty cents, and divide the proceeds of the performance among the performers.

   —Paul B. Du Chaillu, the great gorilla hunter, will lecture in the Opera House this evening.
   —The Schermerhorn-st. school are arranging their Christmas exercises, which will be given Friday afternoon, Dec. 22.
   —John Heher has just completed painting the interior of G. W. Bradford's drug store. It is a very neat job, and is painted in white and bronze.
   —Justice Bull this morning received from the Union Pacific Railroad Co. a picture in colors of a buffalo's head with the inscription, "The Oldest Inhabitant." It has been framed and hung up in Fireman's hall.
   —The beautiful silk flag, which the Forty-fifth Separate Co. presented to Lieut. E. M. Santee, is on exhibition in the window of Sager & Jennings' drug store. It was placed on exhibition at the request of the members of the company as few citizens have ever seen it.
   —The Dow family was a very interesting one. The members of it were all noted for their intelligence and great beauty. Mrs. Jerushy Dow is still living and will show you her wonderful family album at the Presbyterian lecture room at 8 o'clock, Friday evening, and will serve you with refreshments afterwards.
   — A two-horse team belonging to John Barry broke loose this morning and ran out from behind the Grand Central by way of the alley leading into Court-st. The team turned into Main-st. and ran south. Near the front of the store of Warren, Tanner & Co. the team collided with the carriage of Mrs. James E. Tanner.  The- rear axle of her carriage was broken on the right hand side and Mrs. Tanner was let over backward, but she clung to her horse and kept control of him. The last seen of the team it was headed for South hill and was making things jingle.
   —Mrs. John Streeter, a former resident of Cortland, died suddenly yesterday morning at her home at Ellsworth, Cayuga county, of rheumatism of the heart, aged about 56 years. The deceased was born at Homer and was a cousin of Messrs. James E. Tanner of Cortland and E. L. Tanner of Blodgett Mills, who expect to attend the funeral, which will be held at 10 A. M. to-morrow. Mrs. J. E. Tanner received a letter from the deceased about three weeks ago which stated that it was probably the last she would ever write, and so it proved to be.
   —A strong-minded horse broke away from his owner, Farmer Betts of Onondaga Hill, in front of the Hart house Monday morning, says the Syracuse Standard, dashed over Warren-st. bridge and around the East Genesee-st. corner into the Granger block. He dashed up the stairs of the west entrance, and only stopped when he had reached the second floor. He was led down by the owner without much damage to the building. The agent for the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals had an office on the floor to which the horse ascended, and the suggestion was made that the beast thought he had been abused and wanted to enter a complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment