Friday, February 10, 2017


Veterans of the 76th New York State Volunteers at 1886 reunion.
Cortland Evening Standard, Friday, November 24, 1893.

Speeches, War Reminiscences, And a Fine Spread Help to While Away Three Pleasant Hours.
   The reception and campfire social tendered to the board of supervisors and county officers by the Union Veteran legion in the Grand Army parlors last evening was a grand success in every respect. The legion held a business meeting from 7:30 till 8:30, for which nominations were made for the re-election of all the present officers for the ensuing year for the same offices which they now hold.
   After a half hour spent in social intercourse and in admiring the pictures and curios of the organization, the guests were invited to the upper regions. Nearly all stopped at the left of the entrance to the dining hall where there was a commissary. When this part of the menu had been sampled the guests seated themselves at the tables, which were laid with an originality which brought recollection of war times to the mind of every old veteran. Every plate laid was a tin one, tin cups and saucers were used, tin pans and plates held the hearty food, tin spoons and forks were laid at the plates, and tin plate, without any political references, predominated. The silver knives and china milk pitchers appeared very lonely. The menu made even the mouths of the supervisors water, and warm baked beans, biscuits and coffee were disposed of in short order. Cigars and impromptu speeches were then in order.
   Judge J. E. Eggleston was first called upon and in his very amusing manner told his army experience. He closed with a tribute to the soldiers, which  brought forth a storm of applause, as he took his seat at the head of one of the  tables.
   Supervisor R. Walworth Bourne of Willet was next called upon and made a brief speech. He was followed by Comrade A. Sager, who said that the people of Cortland county had not forgotten the veterans of the late war and he formally introduced the legion to the board. Col. William J. Mantanye was the next speaker. He said that he was proud that he had served in the late unpleasantness and that he was proud that he was a member of the Union Veteran legion. He then entered into an extended discussion of the aims of the legion, which was very interesting. He explained its purposes and gave a brief history of it. He said that there were now 135 encampments, which include a membership of about 40,000 veterans who served in the late war, and spoke of the unjust accusations [alleged unmerited pensions—CC editor] brought against the members of the G. A. R., and closed by stating that it strengthened between the veterans, friendship and charity and help for the widows and orphans and it inculcated a feeling of patriotism before all.
   Supervisor Walter A. Brink of Marathon was next called upon. He stated that as the clerk of the board had stolen his speech he was unable to deliver it and the clerk in question was called upon. Mr. John C. Barry had little to say about this accusation, but he heartily thanked the veterans on behalf of the board for their kind invitation. He said that it awoke in him a boyish feeling of patriotism to hear such speeches as were delivered by Maj. Sager and Col. Mantanye, and described his feelings when a boy during the war. He spoke of the pleasant evening they were all enjoying and thanked the veterans for the excellent entertainment.
   Judge Eggleston then told such an amusing story that the tin plates danced with merriment as some supervisor or veteran vented his superfluous mirth in pounding on the tables.
   Justice A. W. Kingsbury of Homer then edged off toward the canteen as Dr. Herman D. Hunt of Preble arose and delivered a short speech in which he told his experience in examining veterans for pension claims, and stated that he had never had an application for examination by a veteran whose injuries did not make him deserving of a pension.
   Supervisor Oscar P. Miner of Taylor then made a brief speech, after which Mr. L. P. Norton of Homer was called upon to describe how he won the medal of honor, presented to him by congress for his gallantry in action. He stated that his description would have to be egotistical, but it was far from being that, and he explained it in a modest manner, which hardly did him justice. It proved one of the most interesting camp fire stories of the evening. He closed with a story of patriotism to the stars and stripes of some union soldiers while in Andersonville prison which made the heart of every one present boil over with pride for the boys in blue.
   Comrade S. N. Holden then delivered a brief speech which was right to the point. He was followed by Comrade Davis who was in town, followed by County Clerk S. K. Jones, who made a very laughable point of his battle with the pork and beans.
   Comrade E. M. Seacord was next called upon and was followed by Dr. Benjamin Kinyon of Cincinnatus, who stated that he was in only one skirmish during war time, but that was a warm one—he was skirmishing around to pay a draft.
   A brief speech was then given by the press representative of the STANDARD and this was in turn following by side-splitting stories by Maj. Sager, Judge Eggleston, Comrade Cyrus Terpenning, and Col. Mantanye.
   All then adjourned to the parlors below, where Col. Mantanye made a brief closing speech, after which 'America' was sung in a manner which increased the swelling of pride under the vest of all present and at 11:30 o'clock the campfire burned out, the veterans prepared to roll themselves up in their blankets and dream of their experiences in the war, and the guests departed with a higher reverence than ever for the old soldiers.
   Too much credit cannot be given to Messrs. G. S. Van Hoesen and E. D. Phillips of the Union Veteran legion, who had the affair in charge for the excellent entertainment. They certainly proved themselves adepts in this art and the county officers and supervisors united in declaring that the members of the Union Veteran legion know how to entertain a company of this kind.
   Those present were Judge J. E. Eggleston, County Clerk S. K. Jones, Sheriff John Miller, Col. Mantanye, Comrades G. S. Van Hoesen, E. D. Phillips, S. N. Holden, L. Wightman, A. Sager, R. W. Bourne, G. W. Ashby, C. V. Fuller, Scepta Rindge, L. Davis, W. H. Morgan, Cyrus Terpenning, Charles D. Geer, Lyman Jones, James D. Wilmarth and E. M. Seacord of Cortland and Comrade L. P. Norton and Justice A. W. Kingsbury of Homer. The supervisors present were Benjamin Kinyon of Cincinnatus, George W. Lee of Cuyler, Oscar N. Gardner of Freetown,J. H. Brown of Harford, F. M. Surdam of Lapeer, Walter A. Brink of Marathon, Hermon D. Hunt of Preble, William J. Cottrell of Scott, Johnson G. Bingham of Solon, Oscar P. Miner of Taylor and R. Walworth Bourne of Willet.

A Great Improvement.
   No one who visits our county legislature now can fail to notice the vast improvement which has been made in the arrangement of the interior of the room where it meets. The chairman's desk has been placed on the South side of the room and the members' tables arranged in two semi-circular rows facing it. This gives the members light from the left side, instead of having it squarely in their faces, as before, and gives the room, besides, a much more attractive and legislative appearance. If the old tables were now put aside—as they ought to be—and single desks for the members substituted, and the walls freshened, the room would be almost a model one for supervisors' use.
   The present board and its predecessor have, by their energy and efficiency in pushing business through and shortening the session, saved the county much more than these improvements would cost, and it would be eminently proper that any changes should be made which would add to the comfort and convenience of future beards. Before the board adjourns we hope to see a committee appointed to take this matter in charge.  Clerk Barry is charged with suggesting the present re-arrangement, and he ought not to be ashamed to plead guilty to it. The entrance to the business room is now through the small room at the rear, instead of direct from the hall as heretofore.

Train Running Forty Miles an Hour Strikes Two Horses on the Track—No One Seriously Hurt—A Marvelous Escape.
   What might have been a serious wreck occurred to train number 4 on the Elmira, Cortland & Northern railway last evening about 5:45 o'clock as that train was approaching Elmira. This train left Cortland at 3:17. As it was nearing Gypsy Lane, near the Industrial grounds in Elmira, Engineer Thomas Durrant discovered two horses standing upon the track in front of the train. The air brakes were applied, but as the train was traveling at the rate of about forty miles per hour, they were of but little use.
   The horses were struck and thrown under the locomotive. The bodies were rolled along on the track under the train for a short distance when the engine left the track closely followed by the baggage car and two day coaches. The train ran about three hundred feet on the ties, tearing the rails away after which the baggage car and two coaches were run down an embankment and thrown upon their sides.
   The scene among the frightened passengers at that time cannot be described. Many were thrown into a general mass. Fortunately none of the passengers or trainmen were injured beyond a few slight abrasions and bruises.
   A number of the passengers were taken from the wrecked train through the car windows and were sent to the city over the E. & H. electric line.
   The train was in charge of Conductor Ira Jones, with Thomas Durrant engineer and James Mack, fireman. The train was running at its usual rate of speed at that point and was under control. The two horses were the property of David Nelson, who is a garbage gatherer about Elmira.
   It is said that the horses have been allowed to roam about at will and that only recently a D., L. & W. engineer was obliged to stop his train near that point and drive the animals from the track. Mr. Nelson stated to a reporter that the horses had broken the pasture fence and ran out upon the tracks. He valued the animals at about $150.
   A wrecking train was immediately sent out from Cortland and arrived at the scene of the accident about 11 o'clock. A train was at once sent up from Elmira and took the baggage and express to that city. Before morning the track was re-laid and all traffic was renewed. The wrecked engine and cars were all back on the track before noon to-day, and will be brought to the car shops at Cortland this afternoon for repairs.
   It is a long time since the E., C. & N. R. R. has had so serious an accident as this, and the fact that no one was killed or seriously hurt is almost a marvel. It is said that if the train had run a few hundred feet farther and upset, it would undoubtedly have taken a plunge into the old canal basin which is half-filled with water, and the results would have been much worse.

   Upon reassembling, under suspension of the rules, the committee on equalization submitted its report which was laid over for the day.
   On motion, The Cortland Democrat and Homer Republican were designated to publish the official canvass.
   On motion, the Cortland County Medical society were granted the use of the supervisors' room, in which to hold their meetings.
   The committee to apportion the school commissioners' expenses among the several towns reported as follows: [CC omitted.]
   The supervisor of Cortlandville was authorized to add to his town abstract returned tax amounting to $280.56.
   On motion, the clerk was authorized to purchase sixteen copies of the Supervisors' Manual for the use of the board.
   At 4 P. M. the board adjourned for the day.

   The board met at usual hour. After roll call and approval of the Journal it was, on motion, resolved that the sheriff's compensation for the board of prisoners be fixed at 40 cents per day.
   The supervisor of Truxton was authorized to levy the unworked road tax in said town, also the unpaid road scraper tax which was returned by the collector to the county treasurer.
   The resolution set down for special order this morning relative to the work of the equalization committee was by the mover withdrawn.
   On motion, the report of the committee on equalization which was yesterday read and laid over under the rule was approved and accepted.
   The board engaged in committee work 'till 12 o'clock and then adjourned until 1 P. M.

   —The Cornell football team have disbanded after a very unfortunate season.
   —"Blessed are they who scorn to borrow their neighbor's newspaper but subscribe for it themselves."
   —The work of rebuilding the telephone line from Cortland to Binghamton was completed yesterday. A metallic wire was put in throughout.
   —Mr. Lewis Parker of Cortland has opened a barber shop in the rooms in the Opera House block vacated by H. Greenfield.—Moravia Cor. Ithaca Democrat.
   —Be sure to take supper with the Woman's Auxiliary of the Y. M. C. A. in the Presbyterian parlors this evening. Time from 5:30 to 8 o'clock. No pains will be spared to make the occasion a delightful one.
   —Henry J. Wagner, son-in-law of George W. Roe of Cortland, is in the Morrisville jail for six months on the charge of non-support of his wife and children. He has done nothing for them since last June. There are five children and the youngest is one month old. Their home is in Georgetown.
   —A special meeting of the King's Daughters will occur on Saturday at 2:30 P. M. at No. 9 Clinton-ave. for carrying out preparations to make some hearts and homes more than thankful on Thanksgiving day. Cases reported and offerings contributed on that day will be thankfully received and carefully looked after by ladies of the circle.
   —The new mock trial of Singleheart vs. Do-em-up, will occur at Normal hall this evening at 8 o'clock. This is a breach of promise suit brought by the sister of the original plaintiff against the brother of the original defendant. It will be entirely different from the other trial. It is given by the Gamma Sigma society for the benefit of the football association. Admission fifteen cents.
   —Nothing has yet been found of the bodies of Miss Maggie Yeargin and Mr. Merriam who were drowned in Cayuga lake last Saturday, though searching parties have been at work ever since. It has been now decided to utilize electricity in the search for the bodies, the plan being to submerge an incandescent light of sufficient power to illuminate the water and reveal objects at the bottom of the lake.
   —One of the saloon keepers in this city, says the Binghamton Republican, is the owner of a cat that is a confirmed drunkard. He raised the cat in the saloon from the time it was a kitten. Unable to always get a drink when it wanted it, the cat would climb up in the edge of the drip pan under the beer kegs and quench its thirst. At first it was evident that beer was not altogether to the cat's liking, but the taste was gradually acquired, until now it will drink it in preference to milk or water and in such a quantity as to make it stupidly drunk. The cat is thin, gaunt and blear-eyed and looks as though it was bordering on starvation; eats but little and is seldom sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment